The Blu-ray Awakens

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum The Blu-ray Awakens

This topic contains 138 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  cwickham 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 139 posts - 1 through 139 (of 139 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

thomasaevans

Amazon and Zavvi have listings for THOSE Series 1-5 blu-rays down as being released in February 26th 2018.

Is this actually now happening for the 30th?

GlenTokyo

Intriguing…

Doug said the quality wasn’t there a few months ago so it got canned, bluffing?

Here’s the info page from blu-ray dot com

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Red-Dwarf-Series-1-Blu-ray/157922/#Overview

I’d happily buy them on blu-ray, they have value to me if they have the model footage scanned in full HD, a re-edit would be nice to include them but that’s an ask, and if they have everything on one disc.

Any updated “tour of the ship” menus and any new material is a bonus (Rob and Doug commentaries for some episodes? Rob, Ed and Doug?)

Cautiously excited, just because it’s the 30th.

SoundableObject

They’ve been down as that date for a while now so don’t put too much stock in it being that date.

That being said the Blu-Ray releases are back on. Doug tweeted in a reply on the 12th of November: “They’re increased the budget and are trying to convince me the uprezing will look much better this time. They’re also throwing in a colour grade something they wouldn’t agree to first time around.”

Ben Saunders

>a colour grade
    awooga. awooga.

bloodteller

is that a bad thing?

Ben Saunders

It depends, really – it could be fantastic or it could be dreadful. A generic colour grade pasted all over the show could give you Star Wars Special Edition/Red Dwarf Remastered tier issues, but one with any decent amount of effort put into it could end up working well.

But I do think a grade should be avoided and the programs should be presented as made, just upscaled, because I’m a purist like that. Perhaps there will be room for graded and non-graded versions. I’m aware that even just upscaling might be considered artifice, but that’s as far as I think they should go. I don’t want a Remastered 2.

GlenTokyo

The grade was one of the better things about remastered to me. If they just did that and didn’t change the aspect to 14:9 and filmise it, visually it would have been worth it I think.

It was never intended to look shit, anything to remedy that is in fact making it more definitive in my opinion, as it will be closer to resembling the vision of the people that made it and how it actually looked live.

Good to know it’s back on though. I expect a couple will release in February and then every few months from there or something.

Ben Saunders

>It was never intended to look shit, anything to remedy that is in fact making it more definitive in my opinion, as it will be closer to resembling the vision of the people that made it and how it actually looked live.
    Interesting opinion, as I believe the actual, final product, is the “definitive”, and that intent doesn’t really factor in as much. Tommy Wiseau -intended- to make a masterpiece. He didn’t.

But I also view things as historical documents as well as shows or whatever. Also when going down the road of bringing things closer to original visions, you run the risk of Lucasing your creation.

GlenTokyo

By vision I only mean how it looked when performed, overcoming the limitations of the format is not even a remaster really, it’s the same thing but clearer. Like a lossless audio format, or a rescan for Blu-ray of an old film. They’re not adding or removing anything content wise, they’re just allowing you to see it more clearly.

It would have been graded if such things existed at the time, as one inch tape was wank.

The videos were replaced by something with better picture quality and were gratefully accepted

GlenTokyo

It’ll still have all the same issues, like the comet tails or whatever they’re called, it’ll just be less grey, and if you like it grey, DVD and VHS have you covered.

Katydid

The color grade will either make it look basically fine, or absolutely horrific. Unfortunately the latter is the standard nowadays.

Warbodog

Hopefully Doug will give it a blue rinse to match the blue look of XI & XII that wasn’t possible with the technology in 1988. Like how Blade Runner is blue now, for some reason.

Katydid

I think they should hire Chris Veale to recreate Series I in CGI.

flanl3

I think they should hire Series I to recreate Chris Veale in CGI.

thomasaevans

Adding to the suggestion that this really may be happening…

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor-Tom-Baker-1st-Season-Blu/23925

si

Adding to the suggestion that this really may be happening…
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor-Tom-Baker-1st-Season-Blu/23925

*follows link*

We looked at the BBC Shop online store to try to confirm, and have continued to look back there many times since, and have never yet seen a listing for such a title…

Well, they wouldn’t, would they?

International Debris

That page’s use of quotation marks made me feel ill.

Katydid

I would actually consider buying Red Dwarf on Blu-Ray, but only because I’ve managed to lose disc 1 for Series I and V.

If they crop it into 16:9, I’m going to set myself on fire outside GNP.

Ben Paddon

If they crop it into 16:9, I’m going to set myself on fire outside GNP.

I can’t imagine they will – “Shada” and “Spearhead From Space” didn’t get cropped.

GlenTokyo

I can’t imagine they will – “Shada” and “Spearhead From Space” didn’t get cropped.

Doug saying it was for the Japanese audience again on Twitter has made me think it’s going to get cropped to 14:9 like Remastered.

bloodteller

are the japanese really into 14:9 or something?

Mr-Stabby

The Tom Baker Doctor Who Bluray would actually have *some* benefit, as with the ‘Shada’ release, they have clearly rescanned the film elements of the show, and although the 16mm stock at the time wasn’t great, it still is a noticeable quality difference. So if they did that, then sure! Though I seem to remember, Tom’s first episode was a rare all-VT episode.

I’m going to buy Series 1 Red Dwarf Bluray anyway, because i’m a nerd and i like to compare things. But hell if they rescanned all the model shots, i’d buy them all. But i doubt they’ll do that, if they even still exist at all.

GlenTokyo

are the japanese really into 14:9 or something?

I think maybe they like full screen content, which is why 14:9 was chosen for remastered, halfway between 4:3 and 16:9.

Dunno though, I’m not an expert in Japanese TV viewing habits, maybe they don’t care now the novelty of widescreen has worn off.

Dax101

It doesn’t seem like the BBC (including worldwide) even put that much money into the DVDs anymore

Jawscvmcdia

Does Chris Veale even do CGI anymore?

GlenTokyo

Does Chris Veale even do CGI anymore?

I wondered the same recently, had a look on his IMDB and searched for him on Google. The last thing I could see Dwarf wise was a graphic design credit, he doesn’t seem to have a portfolio site or anything which is odd for someone in his line of work, and he obviously had talent considering the limitations and what he produced so it’d be strange if he didn’t do it anymore.

Lily

He does have a website but … well. http://cvcg.co.uk/

GlenTokyo

He does have a website but … well. http://cvcg.co.uk/

Oof. That robot policeman.

I assume that he just no longer works for himself, I’ll have to keep an eye on the crew credits for some films and TV with British FX houses.

thomasaevans

SoundableObject

The Blu-Ray now looks like it is going full speed ahead but with a slight difference. Now rather than individual releases it is all 8 series. Currently listed as 16 discs and out October according to Amazon and Zoom.

Get your pre-order in with Zoom now as it is currently listed as £40 (and you can use SIGNUP10 to get 10% off) and that seems like a misprice. They might not honour it but I think they have honoured misprices in the past.

Flap Jack

Well this is certainly not something I expected to ever happen…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Dwarf-Boxset-BD-Blu-ray/dp/B079FLRGZR/

Will there be any new special features, I wonder? (Or features imported from Bodysnatcher?) I’m assuming it won’t be a “Just The Shows”-style release, given that it’s 16 discs.

Maybe some new, less lengthy menu transitions?

Will Series I-III controversially be the Remastered versions? (“Well, they’re already film-look, so they’re obviously more suited to HD!” – Ed Bye or somebody.)

If nothing else, this is great news for people who were disappointed they couldn’t marathon Series 8 without disc swapping. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Unless this doesn’t actually happen, which is still likely.

Dave

It’s certainly looking more like a realistic prospect now, especially after those comments from Doug about a new colour grading.

I’ll put an order in with Zoom for the time being – £36 is about right I think, depending on what extras/improvements it offers over the existing sets.

Dax101

If there were new extras id think the price would go up, but 8 series (16 discs) for £40 seems fairly cheap

Darrell

If they are true restorations, presented 50i and replicate all previous bonus material, then I’m in. But that’s a lot of ifs.

Particularly like the idea of a copy of VI that’s not completely screwed up by having massive blanking lines all over it, tracking faults and audio dropouts galore.

Dax101

To much to hope for a rob grant, Ed bye and Doug Naylor commentary for every episode to go with it? Probably :(

Flap Jack

Nowadays, just one new commentary by Doug alone would be quite the treat. Even if it was for Krytie TV.

GlenTokyo

I’m in. Any improvement to some of the DVDs very poor picture quality is worth it, seems that there’ll still be a “bonus features” disc for each and a series and it’s extras won’t all be on the one disc which is a shame for lazy people like me but still, can’t complain.

The updated placeholder cover art looks standard for current Dwarf production which means they’ll have sent it over to online stores which suggests they’re right behind it, so that bodes well. Hopefully we’ll get a few new extras, even if it’s just a picture in picture track where excerpts from the documentaries play as you reach specific moments of the show.

A few Doug comms would be nice though, and any rescanned model footage.

Dax101

I am interested to see how the image quality comes through with Blu-ray.

I know with the remastered people felt i looked abit too clean but honestly i think for Blu-ray it would be worth a slight clean up.

Just none of that other remastered crap

Ben Saunders

Rob commentaries but only on episodes he didn’t write

Dax101

Rob Commentary for Krytie TV

Possibly drunken.

GlenTokyo

I always think that the two things about remastered that were worth doing are the grade and the audio (not the shite sound effects and library music mind).

People say “but it’s not how it looked when broadcast” but I say “it’s what it looked like when it was filmed” because it wasn’t meant to be washed out, it’s just a limitation of the format and a consequence of how they used it.

Dave

and any rescanned model footage

This is probably the thing I am most hopeful for.

Ben Saunders

As long as the original is available in high quality they can do whatever they like for a remastered version, in my opinion. All the Doctor Who DVDs with updated CGI effects for example always carry the unedited versions as well, and I choose to watch them unedited, at least for my first viewing, to enjoy the program as it was when it aired. The updated versions are a curiosity for me, but the definitive versions for others, and that’s fine.

Flap Jack

If there are any new special features at all, then they’ll likely just be some token additions rather than substantial ones (a featurette marking the 30th anniversary, perhaps?), BUT if we’re talking wish lists…

– All of the special features from The Bodysnatcher Collection (excluding Re-Dwarf and the Remastered episodes themselves).
    – Full versions of both American pilots.
    – All of the links and other unreleased original content from Red Dwarf Night (Universe Challenge being the main thing here).
    – New Writer/Director commentaries on as many episodes as humanly possible.
    – Smeg Ups/Smeg Outs in their originally edited form (all Kryten links preserved).
    – Weblink.
    – Unabridged audiobook of ‘The Log: A Dwarfer’s Guide to Everything’, read by Stephen Fry.
    – Holly digitally recast with Hattie Hayridge in Series 1 and 2 (and Hilly recast with Rebecca Blackstone).

Ben Paddon

I’ll be happy with the retrospectives for each series, the smeg-ups and the deleted scenes. Maybe the model shots as well if they can get HD scans. If I want anything else I’ve got the DVDs, though, so no great loss if they don’t get included.

I have doubts as to whether or not the old features will find their way into this release – special features have somewhat fallen out of vogue, alas – but it might not be expensive to bung ’em on in SD. Torchwood series 1-3 included Torchwood Declassified in SD, and the Doctor Who series 2 and 4 Bluray sets include those Children in Need mini-episodes in SD too, so the Bluray Consortium seems to be more forgiving of SD content if it’s not the main feature.

GlenTokyo

I think at the very least they’ll have the majority of the DVD features. Maybe not the pop song montage features due to licensing but that’s no real loss.

An upscale would probably work a little better on the docs too, since it’s a bit of a cleaner source, might also be able to crop out some blue screen problems if they’re upscaling it.

International Debris

To much to hope for a rob grant, Ed bye and Doug Naylor commentary for every episode to go with it?

I’d actually buy a BluRay player for this.

Mr-Stabby

The preorder price for Series 1 Bluray is now £16.66 on my Amazon order history.

NoFro

I think I’ll wait for reviews in this case… or for TOS to provide some nice comparison images.

Does anyone have a good example of an SD show looking notably better on Blu?

SoundableObject

I was impressed with the studio sections of Shada look superb on the recent Blu-Ray release. Stand well alongside the HD location footage and animation.

It all depends if they do it right. Get the frame rate correct and do some colour correction and grading and then it will be the best Red Dwarf will ever look and a well worth purchase for us fans who watch these episodes so much. The frame rate is where I am anticipating the major fuck up. Doctor Who Series 1-4 came out 4% slower because of the frame rate issue. That was initially made for America though so hopefully this initially being for the UK market will mean it doesn’t happen here.

Ben Saunders

I noticed once when I tried to watch Chuck on British television it was slightly too fast, and I think slightly too high-pitched as well. It was really uncomfortable since I knew what it was supposed to look/sound/feel like and it didn’t quite match. I wonder if other American shows are similarly affected, and I just don’t know because I’ve never seen the original, correct-speed versions.

GlenTokyo

American TV is 30/60hz, UK is 25/50, so if you play back American TV and don’t notice this it’ll be a bit faster and higher pitched. Mainly it’s lesser viewed channels that don’t notice this and broadcast it without correcting it.

Used to have the same issue playing Sonic on my megadrive, used to have an option to change to 50Hz mode.

I expect this will all be properly announced on the anniversary and we’ll

GlenTokyo

Get a nice preview on the TOS

flanl3

They did it the other way around on the American X DVD.

Hamish

> They did it the other way around on the American X DVD.

So I am not going mad…

Katydid

I _thought_ the show’s theme music sounded weirdly low pitched.

flanl3

Everything feels just a mild bit dreadful at the slowed pace.

SoundableObject

>Everything feels just a mild bit dreadful at the slowed pace.

If you are watching Dear Dave, it is supposed to be like that.

flanl3

As I also own X on Amazon and have watched clips from it online and on BritBox, I can entirely verify that it is much more dreadful at the slightly slower rate.

GlenTokyo

Can’t you just switch modes on your TV or something? Flat panel TVs made anytime in the last 10 years or so will almost certainly have 24/25/30/50/60Hz panels, because they do films and all regions the manufacturer ships too. A pal/NTSC option maybe?

flanl3

I don’t think my TV does that, and even if it did, it’s important to note that playing it on the original proper rate would also not be right, as the slowdown is minor because the correction was made but it wasn’t enough. It’s a slowdown that by the end adds maybe ten or twenty seconds at most, not six minutes.

GlenTokyo

Wonder if you can play stuff back 0.7% faster on VLC media player… That might be the only way.

I think VLC will play any region actually so importing might also work.

Or a region free Blu-ray/DVD player if you don’t want to use a PC.

Who releases the US ones? Is it still Warner Brothers? Have they ever addressed it?

Flap Jack

Reminds me of how films run faster on UK DVDs than in the cinema, due to the difference in frame rate.

I only realised this a few years ago, and it’s like learning the Easter Bunny doesn’t exist.

Darrell

It’s the main reason I got into Bluray.

Saying that, there are some US shows I literally cannot watch in their native format, only the PAL speedups are ‘right’ to me. The Simpsons is a big one.

PFMC84

I hope if they do include smeg-ups they release them unedited. It was a nice surprise to see an unedited copy (albeit shockingly bad picture quality wise) on YouTube where everyone’s effing and blinding and a lot of the smeg-ups we got on the VHS tapes were just trimmed a little to remove the F word or we had ‘shit’ beeped despite the tape being rated as a 15. Let us hear the swears! Release a proper 15 rated set!

Ben Paddon

The X Bluray is a little slower, which is fucking dreadful. XI was a little better but suffered from being reencoded in, I think, 1080p. I ended up re-purchasing the XI set from Amazon UK and giving my US set to a friend.

The BTE set used frame blending, which is a crime.

Hamish

> I think VLC will play any region actually so importing might also work.

Using libdvdcss it will, yes.

It always amuses me when I see Windows users installing VLC with no idea how illegal using that particular library is, so much so that most Linux distributions refuse to package it and make their users have to fetch it independantly when installing VLC.

At least we know what we are getting in to.

Ben Paddon

Weird, I don’t use libdvdcss and VLC has always, from default installation, played DVDs from multiple regions.

GlenTokyo

Mine too. Play region 1 regularly on my region 2 drive, I’ve not done anything other than install VLC

Hamish

The libdvdcss library is included with the Windows installer of VLC by default. Because the project is based in France they feel immune to any legal repercussions.

That does not change the fact that the end user is still violating copyright and patent law by using it in their own countries depending on the jurisdiction. Especially for someone like myself living in Canada as the mere act of breaking a digital lock is specific crime here.

It’s insane, but there you go.

Flap Jack

The libdvdcss library is included with the Windows installer of VLC by default. Because the project is based in France they feel immune to any legal repercussions.

That does not change the fact that the end user is still violating copyright and patent law by using it in their own countries depending on the jurisdiction. Especially for someone like myself living in Canada as the mere act of breaking a digital lock is specific crime here.

So essentially, it is totally legal for VideoLAN to distribute it (even if it isn’t legal for Linux to distribute it), and some countries’ copyright laws are written broadly enough to make using it ambiguously legal in theory but in practice never challenge anyone.

Yeah, I think it’s pretty much OK really. Not nearly as amusing as the hype suggests!

Katydid

The BTE set used frame blending, which is a crime.

I may be talking out of my ass, but wasn’t BtE back during first generation Blu-Rays, which were all interlaced because the first generation players weren’t powerful enough to do 1080 progressive?

GlenTokyo

BtE was 2009, Bluray players were widely available to the average person by 2007. I’ve got other blurays from 2007 that are 1080p too.

More likely that it’s 1080i because that’s what a lot of UK HD broadcasts used until pretty recently for whatever reason.

Darrell

UK HD broadcasts are 720i. 50 fields. UK TV masters are all either delivered 1080i or converted to 1080i. TV broadcasting doesn’t support progressive scan in the same way that CDs don’t support monoaural sound – it’s a one-size-fits-all delivery method regardless of source.

All the Dave RD Blurays are 1080i because that’s what the masters are. Also they have interlaced elements like the end credits and the dodgy camera shakes in Trojan.

GlenTokyo

What about Sattelite? Like Sky Q? Comes up as 1080p or 3840*2160 on my TV, assume at 50p for sports.

Darrell

That’s the actual picture output of the box. Transmissions are 720.

GlenTokyo

I mean 1080p and UHD broadcast is possible, as Sky Q does it, original programming and sports are in 4K, but obviously over the air standard aerial TV doesn’t.

Maybe the next one will be in 4K, Doug likes his new technology, 4K HDR could be his next extravagance.

Darrell

That’s platform-specific streaming though, like Netflix and Prime do, although admittedly Sky Q’s live stuff is pretty clever. But still, all the HD transmissions for the UK are sending 50i images 720 pixels tall regardless of source.

Ben Saunders

So our TVs just upscale to 1080?

GlenTokyo

The font of all knowledge that is a random tech website I just found seems to disagree. BBC is now 1080p 25 or 1080i 50, even on freeview at up to 17Mbps bitrate.

Other HD channels seem to be the same.

Ben Saunders

I noticed iPlayer is 50fps now, I seriously doubt it’s 1080p though. Or just a shockingly low bit rate.

GlenTokyo

The website I was on says the average bitrate is 3mbps, so yeah, probably bitrate. I bet some of it is upscaled too. I doubt Antiques Road Trip and homes under the hammer are filmed full HD

Darrell

The receivers upscale to 1080. iPlayer is also capped at 720 btw.

And whatever website said that about 1080p and 25 is wrong.

GlenTokyo

Got them from here. Can’t find anything else other than Wikipedia, which also says 1080

http://www.astra2sat.com/televison/tv-bitrates/

Ben Saunders

My Dad is watching The Orville right now as I make a Pot Noodle, and either Seth MacFarlane hit puberty backwards and drinks helium for lunch, they’re playing it too fast/high pitched. I don’t know what channel it’s on. But it’s really noticeable, that’s not his voice. Unless he’s doing it deliberately which would be bizarre.

Darrell

That link is wrong because SD transmission on digital has never been full height PAL either. I think whoever’s putting that info online is/are making a lot of assumptions about delivery methods based on format standards.

neuro

BBC have been broadcasting HD on Freeview and satellite at 1920×1080 since 2012. Most content is shot at 1080p also.

Ben Paddon

My Dad is watching The Orville right now as I make a Pot Noodle, and either Seth MacFarlane hit puberty backwards and drinks helium for lunch, they’re playing it too fast/high pitched. I don’t know what channel it’s on. But it’s really noticeable, that’s not his voice. Unless he’s doing it deliberately which would be bizarre.

I went from watching Battlestar Galactica on DVDs I’d borrowed from a friend to watching them on DVDs I bought while visiting family in the UK, and the NTSC-to-PAL conversion resulted in a very slight speedup that does in fact make certain people sound a little more chipmunky.

PFMC84

So they sound a bit “chipmunk-y” or like Paul Robeson on dope, depending on where in the world you are?

Katydid

Is there any good reason why we can’t just show things in their original framerate at this point? The whole speeding up and slowing down is ridiculous, and the fact that they don’t even lock the audio pitch is downright pathetic.

Besides, if you’re altering from 25 to 24 fps, wouldn’t it make far more sense to just chop out the extra frame instead of screwing around with the speed? The loss of a single frame per second is a negligible difference.

But again, why not just use the goddamn original video?

Ben Saunders

Outdated transmission methods, maybe? Bear in mind I have no idea what I’m talking about. But there must be a reason for it otherwise they wouldn’t do it, surely. Maybe actually editing the files and re-rendering them at the correct speed/pitch is just slightly too much effort

Darrell

I guarantee that if you ever saw the dropped frame example you give you’d change your mind – it’s nauseously unwatchable, and would not pass QC. There are only two options – respeeding or frame blending. Frame blending is still favoured for footage where the integrity of the source audio is prioritised – such as music releases and some film musicals.

PAL regions have quietly been NTSC compatible for a very long time, since the 90s at least, but NTSC regions have generally not extended the same courtesy in their TV specs. Certainly, Bluray has meant that commercial releases of anything in PAL regions are almost guaranteed to be true native, and bad standards conversion for disc releases is no longer our problem particularly.

As for the audio, the reason pitch correction is usually avoided is one of quality. Although timestretching and pitchshifting technology has massively improved over the years, it’s still wildly imperfect and imprecise, and when done to stereo and surround sources it often causes the channels to imperceptibly desynchronise and phase against each other, leaving sound that can resemble anything from a badly encoded MP3 to a psychedelic 1960s rock album. The processes work on estimation algorithms involving random factors – like an audio version of how artificial grain generation works on images – and you lose so much fidelity. Even someone not experienced in the field would notice it had gone ‘mushy’ sounding. This isn’t to say it’s never done for DVD/Bluray – it definitely is, but it sounds like absolute arse.

Dave

I was half-expecting an announcement on this today, to take advantage of the 30th anniversary publicity, but I haven’t seen anything yet. I hope we get something official soon.

Dave

Just checked Amazon and I see it has updated with a price of £49.99. In which case £36 from Zoom feels like a pretty good deal.

Dave

Oh, and this tweet from Doug made me consider the possibilities of doing more than just a straightforward colour grade:

https://twitter.com/DougRDNaylor/status/963933148957544448

Katydid

Actually I would love to see that, if for nothing else than the novelty.

flanl3

Right, because Series I needed to be grayer.

Ben Saunders

The sets are already in black and white so Rimmer would just blend into the background half the time

Katydid

I never said it was a good idea, I said it would be a fun novelty.

Katydid

I guarantee that if you ever saw the dropped frame example you give you’d change your mind – it’s nauseously unwatchable, and would not pass QC.

You’ll never hear more pedantry about framerates than from me, but how in the world would dropping from 25 to 24 frames per second be unwatchable? I can see how maybe somebody in PAL region used to 25 fps would be able to tell the difference, but we’re talking about converting PAL to NTSC. Anyone in an NTSC region has been watching things in 24 fps their entire life and likely never even seen a program in 25 fps. Most shows are now produced at 24 fps, and even 29.97 fps shows are knocked down to 24 when streamed online. That’s the most common framerate for NTSC.

How is 24 fps worse than fucking around with the pitch, because you can definitely notice that without being a pedant like me?

bloodteller

flanl3

Dropping/adding an actual frame and getting the small skip every second is what can be nauseating. Sort of like in Mario Kart 8 where a frame repeated itself every second and it was really distracing once you noticed it, except that was dropping 60 to 59 fps, not 25 to 24.

Ben Saunders

If it’s a duplicated frame it can be annoying but surely if it’s interpolated it would be fine

Idk though

I didn’t think NTSC viewers would be used to 24fps, I thought they watched stuff in 30/29.97

Flap Jack

so this has just popped up on amazon. blu-ray of 1-8 coming on October 1st i guess

Yeah, that Amazon listing has been there a while. Still weird to have a release date – even if it’s just a placeholder – before the thing has even been announced. Can’t say I’m leaping to pre-order a product that might not even exist!

Katydid

I didn’t think NTSC viewers would be used to 24fps, I thought they watched stuff in 30/29.97

Basically all scripted TV is in 24 fps now, including audience sitcoms.

Ben Saunders

>Can’t say I’m leaping to pre-order a product that might not even exist!
    They don’t charge you until the thing actually ships so there would be no harm in pre-ordering it, I think

>Basically all scripted TV is in 24 fps now, including audience sitcoms.
    Cool.

Katydid

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t permanently associate higher framerates with cheapness and sitcoms, since I was primarily exposed to it in my youth through low budget BBC shows and American sitcoms of the 1970s. To me, 24 is the “proper” framerate for scripted entertainment, and anything higher just feels wrong unless it’s on a traditional multi-camera sitcom.

And since the current Red Dwarf isn’t shot quite the same as a traditional multi-camera sitcom, sometimes looking closer to a single-camera drama production, a higher framerate would feel just as wrong to me as watching the multi-camera BBC series in 24 fps does.

I would aggressively contest the attitude I’ve heard from DwarfCasts that such a look somehow distances you from the comedy. I would personally find new Red Dwarf being shot just like the old series to make it look unacceptably cheap and old-fashioned, because really this is all informed by what you’re used to seeing in TV. I’ve always seen video taped BBC shows as having an incredibly cheap aesthetic to them, and so much of that comes from the video look and how overlit shows had to be for the cameras back then.

So as much argument as I hear for the video look being “more real” and making you feel more like you’re there than the film look, I feel _exactly_ opposite. The video look just screams “YOU ARE WATCHING A CHEAP SITCOM” to me.

Reality is subjective, life is a hologram, we’re all gonna die alone, etc., etc.

Katydid

That’s not to say I don’t think Red Dwarf V and VI look fucking incredible, but they’d look a lot more incredible visually if they were shot single camera on film. I’m not saying that would be better for the show, but it would certainly look more expensive.

performingmonkey

All this confusion about framerates is the reason it’s fucked up so very often on DVD/Blu-ray releases. One of, if not the first BBC Blu-ray releases was of ‘Planet Earth’ and it played back at 24fps, thus resulting in that 4% slowdown.

Budget is a major reason for this happening, as they will often produce one master for all markets. If they REALLY wanted to, they could make it all work. The same goes for 5.1 surround mixes as well, but that’s another story…….

RamesesNiblickTheThird

Rather have audio commentaries for series 10-12 then this to be honest.

Katydid

I just want Doug commentaries.

Flap Jack

They don’t charge you until the thing actually ships so there would be no harm in pre-ordering it, I think

It’s not so much that I’m worried about not being able to cancel, it just feels weird to pledge to buy something we know so little about. Plus, the pre-order price is unlikely to rise, so there doesn’t seem to be much advantage to being so prepared.

SoundableObject

>Budget is a major reason for this happening, as they will often produce one master for all markets. If they REALLY wanted to, they could make it all work. The same goes for 5.1 surround mixes as well, but that’s another story…….

It sounds like that won’t happen next time. Over on another forum when talking about the possible upcoming Classic Doctor Who Blu-Ray season sets a member of the Restoration Team has stated that there would be separate 50i and 60i releases, depending on territory.

I think with Doug Naylor ensuring the quality of the release before signing off on them, we hopefully won’t get a screw up like that.

bloodteller

why are they releasing it all on Blu-Ray anyway? what’s the market for that?

dunno about anyone else but i certainly wouldn’t pay to see I-VIII in slightly higher quality, but maybe thats just me.

Ben Saunders

Once again I find myself in wholehearted agreement with Katydid, RE: frame rates.

>I think with Doug Naylor ensuring the quality of the release before signing off on them, we hopefully won’t get a screw up like that.
    The man behind Red Dwarf: Remastered and Timewave?!

Dave

why are they releasing it all on Blu-Ray anyway? what’s the market for that?

Presumably it has been a very strong seller on DVD in all its various forms over the years, and this is the logical next variation.

Ben Paddon

According to tweets from Doug yonks ago, there is apparently demand for it in Japan.

NoFro

> That’s not to say I don’t think Red Dwarf V and VI look fucking incredible, but they’d look a lot more incredible visually if they were shot single camera on film. I’m not saying that would be better for the show, but it would certainly look more expensive.

They would certainly look better. A lot of old shows have looked amazing on their Blu Ray releases because they were shot on film. I wish Dwarf could look as good, especially as most of the episodes look great from a sets/costumes/lighting standpoint, but the source just can’t provide that.

I can’t believe that even a decade ago the BBC were shooting scripted, highly popular shows that weren’t future-proofed for HD (see: Doctor Who, The Mighty Boosh).

Ben Saunders

I would have sworn the Mighty Boosh was Channel 4. Lots of early digital films like the Star Wars prequels were shot at 1080p, and that’s it. They are forever locked at that resolution. And I read somewhere (maybe on here lmao) that I think 28 Days Later was genuinely shot at 480p, and that’s as high as it will ever be. Now 1080p I can understand given that they basically invented digital cameras -for- Attack of the Clones, but 480p?! What were they thinking.

Even The Phantom Menace, which was shot on film for the most part except for one scene, probably will remain at 1080p because of that one scene. Lucas elected to use the scene where Qui Gon tests Anakin’s blood as a testing ground for his new digital camera, to see if anybody would notice that it switched from film to digital, and I don’t think many people did, and so the digital age began.

Then you have Tommy Wiseau who shot The Room -simultaneously- on digital AND film because he didn’t understand the difference, and had to have a custom camera enclosure made to hold both cameras side by side iirc. I don’t know if the final movie is presented fully one or the other or a mix, though.

Dave

The low-res filming of 28 Days Later was a deliberate stylistic choice that I thought worked quite well.

Ben Saunders

It’s going to be a blast revisiting that film on the 8k televisions of the not too distant future.

Mind you if Red Dwarf is anything to go by we’ll all have gone back to CRTs by that point, anyway.

MANI506

I wonder if the proposed blu-ray would feature re-shot vis-fx for VII which Doug has said would be fun to do.

Mr-Stabby

>And I read somewhere (maybe on here lmao) that I think 28 Days Later was genuinely shot at 480p, and that’s as high as it will ever be. Now 1080p I can understand given that they basically invented digital cameras -for- Attack of the Clones, but 480p?! What were they thinking.

Watch the film. They film on a completely empty Westminster Bridge and City of London. They had literally minutes between the sun coming up and the city getting swamped. Rather than waste time setting up film cameras, they shot with a bank of Canon XL1 MiniDV video cameras, all filming at once, because they took literally moments to setup. The footage speaks for itself. No CGI, no fancy production tricks. REAL London looks deserted. I think that was worth using the slightly cheaper cameras. It looks amazing. And stylistically i think it works too.

Ben Saunders

So it’s The Dalek Invasion of Earth but with zombies?

quinn_drummer

Doug has just tweeted this

https://twitter.com/DougRDNaylor/status/969172179014291456

“In the Blu-Ray suite working on Red Dwarf III. It’s looking nice. The Up-Rez is nice, the noise reduction is nice, the grade is nice. It just looks nice period. #RedDwarf30#October”

So looks like we’ll get getting something in October!!

si

October, eh? Hmm. If only there was some kind of Red Dwarf fan event around then..

Dave

Great to hear. Looking forward to seeing how it looks.

Dax101

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

NoFro

III probably has the most room for improvement. Well, maybe there’s no room for improvement but it certainly looks the worst.

Dax101

I wonder will dave be showing the Blu-ray quality shows after its released.

If you are gonna put money into it you may aswell make the most of it.

Ben Saunders

Just went on Google images for some screencaps of Marooned and oh boy does that cockpit scene look horrible.

Pete Part Three

They’re taking the opportunity to remove Hattie altogether and replace her with newly filmed footage of Norm. This is perhaps more troublesome for Parallel Universe, though.

bloodteller

>Just went on Google images for some screencaps of Marooned and oh boy does that cockpit scene look horrible.

i wonder if they’ll change that in some way for the blu-ray? it looks incredibly dodgy in SD so it’ll no doubt look even dodgier in HD.

if i recall correctly Remastered tried fixing the cockpit scene but they somehow made it look even worse

Dave

I would hope that they would ‘fix’ as little as possible. The effects techniques, whether good or bad, are part of what the show is.

Dax101

I wouldn’t mind a hint of remastering just to smooth over some of the effects rather than replace them.

Dave

Slippery slope, though.

International Debris

I wouldn’t mind an actual remaster, in terms of polishing up the final product. What we had in 1997 was a remix, really, going back to the source and changing individual ingredients.

Dave

Also posted in the news thread, this seems relevant:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B82S1CT

cwickham

The fact that they’re bothering to put new extras on these is quite encouraging. The Tom Baker Years and the Genesis of the Daleks omnibus edit will be nice to have for archival purposes – shades of The Bodysnatcher Collection including all the stuff they missed off the series releases.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 139 posts - 1 through 139 (of 139 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.