Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum The new drive room

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Jimboid
    Participant

So where on the ship are we in X?

The drive room is a lovely set…but a bit odd. It’s more like the Starbug cockpit.

I sort of imagine we’re at the front of the ship.

Does it matter? Probably not.

I just want to see the observation dome again.

srmcd1
    Participant

I’m just pleased that Doug finally got a spiral staircase. If you’ve read ‘Last Human’, apparently Starbug is littered with them…

Bezzy
    Participant

it looks a lot more confined.. but very pretty too! kinda has that busy ‘II’ look with all the monitors buzzing around. im guessing either they have moved home to another part of the ship or just has a big rennovation in the years prior.

no starbug cockpit though :(

Carlito
    Participant

Yet, anyway.

I’m not expecting any Starbug cockpit scenes in this series so I would be pleasantly surprised if any show up but not disappointed if they don’t.

Now that the production has the Red Dwarf sets at their disposal and don’t have to build from scratch, I’d expect the Starbug interior back in series XI if we get one. With a tight budget, we’re lucky to get as many (stunning) sets as we have. Saying that, I do not know for a fact that the ‘Bug interior doesn’t show up later in X anyway.

Bezzy
    Participant

Yeah i know what you mean . Looking at the opening credits it seems to be mostly the Midget so i guess that is the main transport vehicle this series.. its a bummer since i love Starbug. then again it has had the majority of the Series, so the Midget needs its moment :)

pfm
    Participant

One good thing about the new drive room is that it really does look like the ship could be controlled from there. As much as I want to see the ‘bug cockpit again, I wouldn’t like them to simply redress this set and add a little green around the edges, it should look as close to the classic set as possible!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I’ll be a but bummed if we don’t get a Starbug cockpit (which looks likely considering the VOs in Trojan). Never been keen on Blue Midget, especially since VIII and Remastered.

NoFro
    Participant

Starbug is my favourite ship in the show, both interior and exterior, and one of the things that I missed most in BTE and looked forward to most in X was it’s return. It’s a shame we didn’t see an interior and it seems unlikely that we will but at least we got a model shot and it’s nice for Blue Midget to take centre stage. I’m sure if there’s an XI we’ll see the inside of the ‘bug again. I agree with monkey though, if they’re going to bring it back it has to be as close to the VI/VII design as possible!

However, it’s only episode 1 so we might yet see more of the bug.

Bezzy
    Participant

I loved the Bug set from VI and VII (i even loved the VI/ VII dvd menu on the bug too! )

takerdemon
    Participant

The bug cockpit from VI is by far my favourite set from the entire series run. It fit the ship perfectly and was perfectly suited to contain all 4 cast members. Midget was cool but never elicited the same reaction from me as the bug in design or interior.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

If we end up not getting a Starbug cockpit in this series, but we do get a Blue Midget one, it’s possible that the decision to use one and not the other could be down to the fact that they didn’t watch to do a cheaper botch-job version of such an iconic set. Blue Midget was never even remotely as important as Starbug.

Slainmonkey
    Participant

Also I don’t mind Blue Midget getting it’s 15 minutes of glory

Pete Part Three
    Participant

That was the dance.

Slainmonkey
    Participant

I thought the dance was it’s hour of shame, it needs some good press after that disgrace.

Bezzy
    Participant

It was too much of a tease last week showing Starbug but not a cockpit scene :(
    Im guessing by the titles though that the Midget takes the spotlight this series.. a shame really.

NoFro
    Participant

What Ian said. They could have redressed the drive room and passed it off as a cockpit for Starbug but god knows we wouldn’t have been happy about it. We want to see something that strongly evokes the VI/VII set up. The Blue Midget interiors are far less iconic and memorable and so fans are less likely to be offended by a simple redressed set. This isn’t to put down the new Blue Midget set. From what I’ve seen it looks great.

thomasaevans
    Participant

Am I correct in saying the Starbug set has long since been destroyed?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

It’s in my garage.

JEZZMUND
    Participant

It’s in my garage

…and i’ve just bought a new crowbar.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I doubt any of the old sets have survived – who would pay to store them for over 10 years with little to no hope of them being used?

A Bailey
    Participant

Half the posters here would I bet if they had the space haha.

mick
    Participant

I know it’s massively trivial but all these monitors on arms and wall mounts just aren’t doing it for me, especially as very little has been done to dress them up.

I find myself very much missing the more industrial look of the old CRTs built solidly into the walls and consoles, just felt a bit more mining ship-ey to me…

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I know it’s massively trivial but all these monitors on arms and wall mounts just aren’t doing it for me, especially as very little has been done to dress them up.
    I find myself very much missing the more industrial look of the old CRTs built solidly into the walls and consoles, just felt a bit more mining ship-ey to me…

It bothered me a bit as if it was like they were trying to hard to make the sets look high-tech, but my rationale for it is since Holly is broken, they had to move a lot of the diagnostic stuff of the ship up to the sleeping quarters and cockpit in order to keep a closer eye on things, and because Lister couldn’t be arsed to walk to the drive room to sort something. If anything though it gives me something to try and recreate for wallpaper/video type shenanigans :)

mick
    Participant

Screens I don’t have a problem with, it’s just having them all out on stands all over the place like in a WoW players bedsit really detracts from what for me are some pretty fantastic sets.
    They seem to have really gone overkill with them too, perhaps the odd one wouldn’t have bothered me too much.

Anyway as I’ve said before, it’s nitpicking, but to be fair it’s the only fault I can find with the sets in this series, otherwise I think they’ve all been top notch.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.