Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Worst line from Red Dwarf

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 119 total)
  • Author

What line in Dwarf reaaly makes you cringe?

For me it has to be “What a Dibbley!”

Andrew
    Participant

“Inteeeeeernal memo”

Just because the delivery is obviously stumbled. Shoulda done a retake.

penny
    Participant

In The End when Lister says “sir” makes me cringe abit, but I for some reason prefer it to be staying in there than out.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

You guys have the whole of Red Dwarf to chose from and you pick on series 1 and series 6? Madness…

“It’s a theory you only tell your relatives.”

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

> ?Inteeeeeernal memo?

Just because the delivery is obviously stumbled. Shoulda done a retake.

I always thought that Rimmer was taking the mick out of Lister again with that long scouse-like vowel.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

The Nostrilomo.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

“As if your todger with a couple of eyes drawn on it would look like a French movie star. Way too good looking.”

Yes, we got the joke, thank you. You don’t need to explain it.

listerssock
    Participant

“I didn’t come here looking for trouble. I just came to do the Red Dwarf shuffle.”

Phil
    Participant

WHATSANIGUANA

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> WHATSANIGUANA

NO. I’ve taken this long enough you bunch of bastards, but that line is FUNNY and is delivered FINE.

I HATE YOU ALL AND WILL KILL YOU.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

“Officer bud babe”

John Hoare
    Participant

I really think it’s the lack of audience reaction that makes the iguana line feel so awkward. Especially as Craig seems to be pausing for an audience reaction.

I could list shitloads from VII/VIII, but I don’t see an awful lot of point. Instead, I’ll mention one that used to really annoy me, but now I think is rather amusing (and it’s not “Have you done my leg yet?”, as I’ve gone on about that before):

LISTER: Roughly translated… Hit the reheat.
    CAT: You don’t have to tell me twice.
    LISTER: Cat man, hit the reheat!
    CAT: Oh sorry. Looks like you do have to tell me twice.

I have no idea why that’s turned into something I found awkward and unfunny to something I rather like…

John Hoare
    Participant

Oh, and I never thought that ?inteeeeeernal memo? was fumbled – I just thought it was Rimmer being… well, Rimmer. I’ll have another look next time I watch it.

Robert saying “time-space continuum” instead of “space-time continuum” in Krytie TV gets right up my nose, though. Now, that should definitely have had a retake.

Mind you, it all depends on the fluff. Sometimes mistakes that are left in annoy me, but sometimes they don’t bug me at all, and I can admire an actor who just carries on and most people won’t notice there was anything wrong. It all depends on the show and the mistake, and how well the actor deals with it.

Still, I watched an episode of Man About The House recently, and right at the start of the episode, Jo says something and her mic isn’t turned up, so you hardly hear the line! Right at the start of the episode! There’s not really any excuse for that…

James
    Participant

“A pair of plastic underpants and a trademark”

It’s not the line as such, more that Craig goes into accent overload on trademark, and it feels as though he’s slipped out of Lister totally.

“A couple of blanks” One of my favorites! But it fell flat because the audience didn’t pick it up at all.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> It?s not the line as such, more that Craig goes into accent overload on trademark, and it feels as though he?s slipped out of Lister totally.

A bit like de did for the entirety of series 8, you mean?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

LISTER: Roughly translated? Hit the reheat.
    CAT: You don?t have to tell me twice.
    LISTER: Cat man, hit the reheat!
    CAT: Oh sorry. Looks like you do have to tell me twice.

I like this, but Buffy did the same gag much better.

As for the iguana line, I’m with Cappsy – I like it. But your point about jokes that wait for a laugh they don’t get… watching Bodyswap today (I’m still ploughing through Rehamstered mit der text tracks), there’s one there – it’s when Rimmer’s talking about “gibbering vegetable for the rest of your life”. He pauses before going into the second punchline, but the laugh doesn’t come until the very end of the line…

Ben Paddon
    Participant

“Maybe we can get it to eat some roughage!”

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

watching Bodyswap today (I?m still ploughing through Rehamstered mit der text tracks), there?s one there – it?s when Rimmer?s talking about ?gibbering vegetable for the rest of your life?. He pauses before going into the second punchline, but the laugh doesn?t come until the very end of the line?

I think that one’s a quirk of the remastering, IIRC, but don’t quote me on it. In general, the laughter seems to be much lower in the mix for that episode.

Phil
    Participant

“What’s an iguana?” just beats out “Mornin’ farmer Lister!” for me.

VII and VIII have unfunny lines, yes, but iguana/farmer Lister positively make me shudder. A confident delivery of an unfunny line helps me gloss over it and wait for the next good one. But a line like these two really trips up my enjoyment of the show. The End, if you couldn’t guess by now, is definitely not one of my favorite episodes.

>Jo says something and her mic isn?t turned up, so you hardly hear the line! Right at the start of the episode! There?s not really any excuse for that?

Working my way through Python again, I’m reminded of just how often the gang fluff a line and keep on going. Which, honestly, I quite like. You can hear them screw up, and then backpeddle just a word or two, and pick it right up again. They must not have been keen on doing re-takes for anything less than a complete failure to make it through the scene. (Which must be at least partly why the audience reaction is always so enthusiastic…the flubs that are left in the show is evidence that the audience isn’t having to sit through endless retakes for the gang to get it “perfect.”)

But anyway, to the point, I was watching an episode last night, and it was the skit in which Eric Idle wants to get out of the army because he might get hurt. He flubs one of his first lines…the sketch doesn’t have any momentum yet and there haven’t been any real jokes up to that point…and they still kept on with it. I can understand not wanting to re-start a sketch that’s already minutes underway, but for one of the very first lines? Surely that’s got to be worth a re-take…

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Yeah, but tape were more expensive in them days, lad…

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I always wondered why the line “Please be upstanding for the cutting of the cake” was so quiet. A mixing problem, perhaps?

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Oh, there’s nothing wrong with the iguana line or the Farmer Lister stuff. Hmph. 60s and 70s telly is full of fluffs, partly because of the expense of video, as Seb says, but also because most performers came from a solid theatre grounding, and so were used to making the best of fluffs or stumbles. David Croft, a seasoned theatre performer and producer, wouldn’t re-take if he could possibly help it. I think his record as a director/producer was a 45 min ep of Allo Allo recorded in an hour and a half, and I don’t think there’s even a significant fluff kept in, because most of the performers were theatre veterans, and so delivered the line right first time. Awesome.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

“I must be the only person to go to an audience screening and there not to be a single fuck-up in it.”

Phil
    Participant

>Oh, there?s nothing wrong with the iguana line or the Farmer Lister stuff.

Except that they’re absolutely horrible, I completely agree.

pfm
    Participant

Any time ‘black card’ is mentioned. One of the best Re-mastered cuts.

Any Cat ‘we’re deader than…’ lines.

Any gags about the shape of Kryten’s head (e.g. Lister – ‘Do I play the guitar?’ Kryten – ‘Do I have a head shaped like an amusing ice cube?’) Maybe I laughed at it at one time…but not now, sadly.

Something that always pisses me off for some reason is when Rimmer shouts ‘Alphabettie Spaghetti!!’ in Polymorph. That whole scene is a bit off though. I don’t like Rimmer’s mum’s line ‘I honestly thought my false teeth were going to fall out’.

Like you said, VII & VIII have too many to list. Not only that, VII & VIII lines are a lot less memorable.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Any time ?black card? is mentioned. One of the best Re-mastered cuts.

God, no! That is great character stuff, illustrating Rimmer’s pedantry. The iguana line, meanwhile, is just a cheap stupidity laugh (much like Lister doing a dot-to-dots puzzle and being amazed at the solution).

Steve Harris
    Participant

I’ve always been a ‘go with the flow’ kind of viewer and tend to pass over anything slightly painful or below par in the knowledge/hope that better is to follow.
    Recurring themes have never been a problem for me, Krytens head, Deader than and even Space Corps directives seem part and parcel of the show. Very little in Dwarf has ever made me cringe.
    Having said that, Hollisters ‘have you any idea what happens when’ dialogue in Pete seemed to drag on for ever. Repeated viewings since have been no less cringe worthy despite the great delivery etc.

Several portions of Atkinsons dialogue in Blackadder made me feel the same way despite absolutely loving the show.

It’s that kind of bum shuffling in the seat feeling you get when something doesn’t quite fit the way you like it on screen..

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Any time ?black card? is mentioned. One of the best Re-mastered cuts.

*hits the “Ban performingmonkey” button*

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

> (much like Lister doing a dot-to-dots puzzle and being amazed at the solution)

I’m going to own up now. My nephew was doing one of these, but in fairness he just went off on his own and started it so far, then stopped and drew whatever he thought that looked like. But because he’d drawn something different I GENUINELY couldn’t see what it was MEANT to be and so I decided to finish it out of sheer curiosity.

It was a spade.

I laughed so hard.

So that line now has particular meaning to me and is no longer painful.

Although it now makes me out to be a dumb fuck.

John Hoare
    Participant

I like the bucket-and-spade line in VIII. I can’t defend it on a character level, but it makes me laugh, which is more than a lot of VIII jokes do.

And Pete and Seb are right. The white card/black card is one of my favourite bits of Balance Of Power. (Especially Rimmer’s singing of it.) And the false teeth line in Polymorph is one of my favourite lines as well…

pfm
    Participant

Well whoop-de-fucking-do.

pfm
    Participant

This clip I’m thinking demonstrates other lines that I’m sure you find hilariously funny but I, sadly, don’t. The psychiatrist side is OK but many of Robert’s lines make me want to smash the screen. ‘Surprise: ooh, I’ve turned into a frog!!’. No.

All right, the line ‘I look like a dog with a caramel toffee’ IS good. Robert’s delivery is great there. In fact that might be the funniest line in the whole episode.

Phil
    Participant

Robert’s delivery throughout that whole scene is excellent…you really can’t fault him for it. In fact, it’s only the repetition of asking Kryten to check that the chair is bolted down that brings me out of the fun. I really, really enjoy that scene…and with just two or three line trims I think it’d be just fine.

James
    Participant

The best line in Series 8 is “It flashed past because you had two breasts big as your head at your beck and call day and night! Give me that now and I wouldn’t be whinging.”

Anonymous

“See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?” “See you in ten minutes?”

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Ha ha. Still makes me laugh. Or cry. One of the two.

Incidentally, the best line in Series 8 comes courtesy of Kochanski (bizarrely enough):

Kochanski: It doesn’t make sense. Why would I want to sleep with you?
    Rimmer: Maybe you get blind drunk.
    Kochanski: That doesn’t excuse my other four senses!

John Hoare
    Participant

Incidentally, the best line in Series 8 comes courtesy of Kochanski (bizarrely enough):

Kochanski: It doesn?t make sense. Why would I want to sleep with you?
    Rimmer: Maybe you get blind drunk.
    Kochanski: That doesn?t excuse my other four senses!

You know, loads of people count that as one of their favourite jokes in VIII, but it’s never really appealed to me that much. Although I suspect that’s the delivery as much as anything else…

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Jimbotfu, he say…
    … ?See you in ten minutes?? …

DO A BARREL ROLL. DO A BARREL ROLL. DO A BARREL ROLL. DO A BARREL ROLL. DO A BARREL ROLL. DO A BARREL ROLL. DO A BARREL ROLL. DO A BARREL ROLL. DO A BARREL ROLL. DO A BARREL ROLL. DO A BARREL ROLL. DO A BARREL ROLL. DO A BARREL ROLL. DO A BARREL ROLL.

Anonymous

Use the boost to chase! Use the boost to chase! Use the boost to chase! Use the boost to chase! Use the boost to chase! Use the boost to chase! Use the boost to chase! Use the boost to chase! Use the boost to chase! Use the boost to chase!

John Hoare
    Participant

Back to bad lines – from Ouroboros:

“It’s not exactly possible at the moment, we’re under attack.”

James
    Participant

I could post lines from the camera scripts, that have never been used, but are gold, but I’d probably get shot..Oh shot.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I could post lines from the camera scripts, that have never been used, but I’d probably get shot..

You’re not getting my phone tonight.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

There are some REALLY good lines not used AT ALL from Holoship.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

After reading this thread it has to be

“See you in Ten minutes”

i have to skip past it.

Does anyone agree that if they’d’ve just used a looped bit of footage it would’ve taken the edge off it?

peas_and_corn
    Participant

I don’t know… the only plus in it is that by the end Mac looks as annoyed as I do, but it also robs it of its ‘the same moment over and over’ aspect.

Phil
    Participant

I kind of like that the footage isn’t looped, and it’s not completely out of line. The time wand works in all kinds of ways, so I just think of it as resetting Hollister’s thought pattern each time. It doesn’t reset everything about him, it just rewinds his thoughts to the point just before he says “See you in ten minutes.”

That said, I DO wish the lost Canary squadron was somehow treated in the edit to stop them moving around and stop-starting at different rates. I think that scene is approximately one-eighth as funny as “See you in ten minutes” (which I don’t, by any means, hate as much as most people do) because the performance by the frozen Canary is so lousy. At least some good believable editing would have made it tolerable.

John Hoare
    Participant

That said, I DO wish the lost Canary squadron was somehow treated in the edit to stop them moving around and stop-starting at different rates.

Speaking of that scene:

KOCHANSKI: So you mean they’re moving, just incredibly slowly?
    HOLLY: About the same speed as the average Little Chef waitress.

Fine.

HOLLY: That’s why they don’t appear to be actually doing anything.

I GOT THE JOKE LEAVE ME ALONE

Anonymous

“No, no wait…that’s Argyle and THAT’S the baby. I was thrown for a minute by the bib and the bonnet.”

Haha. Funny.

“I thought that was the baby at first!”

Yes, yes…we know you did.

Anonymous

“Wrong bug head. You’re axed!”

Urgh.

“You’ve already screwed up the ping-pong tournaments, now
    you’re gonna mess up the yo-yo championships too.”

Barely makes sense. Incredibly weak internal logic to that joke.

“Let’s at least ask someone who’s at least
    going to give us a slightly more intelligent opinion:
    Hello, wall! What do you think?”

CLUNK.

“So wait a minute. Even if we didn’t plant a bomb, the only thing that
    really explains what we’re doing is if we did! Which we didn’t! But we
    must have! Because, otherwise, what we’re doing is totally nuts!”

Just awful plotting.

“Stop that dinosaur!”

“It’s gone in the lift, its gone in the lift!”

“Get it back, get it back! Get it back…”

Just because it represents the moment that a show that once brought us Queeg and Back to Reality descended into Carry On Up The Cretaceous.

listerssock
    Participant

“Don’t try to help us. We’re finished. Save yourselves.”

*Shudders*

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.