Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Would you watch a Red Dwarf "reboot"?

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Jawscvmcdia
    Participant

If Red Dwarf was ever to be rebooted with new cast members, would you watch it? If so, who would you like to play the characters?

Bargain Bin Holly
    Participant

That’s heresy, Jawscvmcdia

Punish yourself accordingly

Taiwan Tony
    Participant

If it was funny.
    I’d like it to be little known alternative comedians. Not the round faced buoyant common denominator pushers of the mainstream circuit.
    I’d like to play Kryten. I was born in Northampton, too, so it’s a shoe in.

Dax101
    Participant

Feel like the US version is the closest we have to a reboot currently

Ben Saunders
    Participant

I bet if they remade Red Dwarf today the BBCuck would make two of the leads minorities and cast a fucking woman as the computer

bloodteller
    Participant

the US pilot was quite good. but i definitely wouldn’t want to see a Red Dwarf remake now

bloodteller
    Participant

they’d probably get some bellend like James Corden in as Lister, instantly ruining it

in terms of recasting I think Peter Lorre would be good as Rimmer, but he died 55 years ago so that’s not really an option

Dave
    Participant

Of course I would watch it. That doesn’t mean it’s a good idea though.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

>James Corden in as Lister
    Jesus Christ.

Or Jack Whitehall as Rimmer.
    Jesus Christ.

But who’d play Jesus Christ?

bloodteller
    Participant

ricky gervais

GlenTokyo
    Participant

I’m the opposite of Taiwan Tony, I’d only watch it if it wasn’t funny (on purpose obviously).

Same story, but done as a more serious tone, not bleak and depressing but not a comedy.

Spend more time on board before the accident getting to know peeps and then really dig in the accident.

bloodteller
    Participant

i don’t think i could enjoy Red Dwarf if it wasn’t a comedy tbh.

well i suppose maybe if it was like Blake’s 7 i could enjoy it. but then Blake’s 7 is exceptional

GlenTokyo
    Participant

I just don’t think modern funny people are as subtle/ have the layers and it’d be shit. Like Dave’s other scripted sitcom thing Zzaped or whatever it was.

bloodteller
    Participant

i saw Zapped. i liked the old drunken wizard character, whoever played him was alright. everyone else was shit though

equally though i think a Red Dwarf remake that took itself seriously wouldn’t work at all, that’d be shit too.

flanl3
    Participant

Have the accident end the first series. Have Lister go into stasis as punishment and make that seem like the final moment, then suddenly watch fireballs and explosive winds take down the corridors and everybody’s gone, final shot of Lister’s face behind all this madness.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Yeah flanl, make him going into stasis seem like the big moment, the oh shit bit, drop a few moments in through the episode of Rimmer bemoaning Lister not being around and then non event mass with a quantum probability of zero, freeze, and boom, fireballs, bulkheads sealing too slowly and being blown apart, an external shot of the ship with atmosphere venting, end credits.

I’d watch that shit.

Jo
    Participant

Nah.

bloodteller
    Participant

>final shot of Lister’s face behind all this madness

somehow i misread this as “Lister’s face grins, he is behind all this madness” and was incredibly disturbed

Pete Part Three
    Participant

So, a whole series of completely non-typical Red Dwarf episodes and then a cliffhanger, promising a completely different type of show for a next series that has no guarantee of being commissioned?

Isn’t this Red Dwarf VIII?

GlenTokyo
    Participant

No, like Game of Thrones, where shit usually goes down in episode 8 and then you have 2 more episodes to deal with it.

bloodteller
    Participant

>Same story, but done as a more serious tone, not bleak and depressing but not a comedy.

hang on, doesn’t most of Red Dwarf hinge on it being a comedy? a lot of the character interactions, particularly Lister and Rimmer, are based around them annoying the living shit out of each other. and the Cat spends a lot of time bouncing around like a feline dervish. i dunno how you could do a lot of that without making it funny- even in the novels, which take themselves rather more seriously, there are still some incredibly funny bits.

Rimmer and Lister doing their black card/white card routine and trying to not make it funny would just be incredibly strange, surely?

bloodteller
    Participant

plus a serious Red Dwarf would be no fun at all- even in stuff like Back To Reality, which is a pretty dark narrative there are great jokes and laughs throughout that definitely make it all the more enjoyable

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Just not the obvious “jokes”, set up, punchline stuff, you can still have a funny moments in a program and it be more serious.

Have the character humour but have more exploration into the more serious consequences and shiz that are currently left alone for the sake of woofers.

tombow
    Participant

what if it was like some “passing the torch” Force Awakens thing where they find one of Lister’s sons who is in our dimension now, and he’s a funny slob with a fussy hologram and some kind of funny animal person, (all age 25 ish), and they hand over to them for a new “next generation” show.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Yeah I reckon they could do that, sort of backdoor pilot it. Whether people would be receptive I don’t know.

Maybe if they did it like Voyager, with an overlap where there are two series running alongside each other it’d be easier to get people on board.

bloodteller
    Participant

i dunno, i don’t feel like you could really do Red Dwarf without Craig, Chris, Danny and Robert. they sort of are Red Dwarf i think. it’s one of those things i just don’t think you could hand over to other actors without it going awfully wrong, like Peter Sellers as Clouseau or Joel and Mike from MST3K as the Test Subjects.

i definitely wouldn’t watch Red Dwarf: The Next Generation, it just wouldn’t be Red Dwarf anymore.

bloodteller
    Participant

it’d probably end up like that ghastly Ghostbusters remake

GlenTokyo
    Participant

It’s been a while since I’ve seen the new Ghostbusters but I remember thinking ‘that would have been really good without Melissa McCarthy’ because she is a “funny actor” to almost pantomime levels of overacting things whereas Kristen Wiig for example is just a good actor really (although she started in comedy). I feel like that would happen to Red Dwarf if they added a new cast member now, they’d go for a Dave mandated “funny actor” and it’d get right on everyone’s tits, like Poochy from the Simpsons.

Dave
    Participant

So the suggestions so far are changing the cast, changing the story, changing the format, taking out the jokes and making it a more serious sci-fi show? That all sounds excellent. I hope they get rid of the big spaceship too.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Reboots usually don’t share the same cast to be fair.

Jack Lord would’ve looked really rough in the Hawaii Five-0 reboot, he’d been dead for 12 years when that started.

bloodteller
    Participant

I think they should have this reboot set on Earth, and be about a guy trying to get home for Thanksgiving rather than get back to his home planet. The cast will be Steve Martin and John Candy, and it’ll be written by John Hughes.

Wait a minute, that’s just Planes, Trains And Automobiles…

Moonlight
    Participant

Reboots usually don’t share the same cast to be fair.

You could just be like the rest of the internet and use the word “reboot” to describe a revival of a show that’s directly continuing the original run with the same cast. I’m pretty sure most people think _any_ show returning is a “reboot” even when it’s fucking not.

Dave
    Participant

The Netflix reboot of Reboot uses quite a few of the original Reboot cast in its reboot of Reboot, and that’s the rebootiest reboot I can think of.

Flap Jack
    Participant

it’d probably end up like that ghastly Ghostbusters remake

You mean it’d be a hugely enjoyable new take on the core concept of Red Dwarf, released 27 years after the most recent regular series, when all hope of reuniting the original cast for a non-reboot continuation has been lost anyway?

OK, well I was sceptical about the idea of a Red Dwarf reboot in general, but you’ve convinced me!

tombow
    Participant

The Ghostbusters cartoon had a “next gen” show in 1997, where they had a new young cast but kept the old ones around as mentors. That could be a model for a new Dwarf

bloodteller
    Participant

>You mean it’d be a hugely enjoyable new take on the core concept of Red Dwarf, released 27 years after the most recent regular series, when all hope of reuniting the original cast for a non-reboot continuation has been lost anyway?

No

Dave
    Participant

The Ghostbusters cartoon had a “next gen” show in 1997, where they had a new young cast but kept the old ones around as mentors. That could be a model for a new Dwarf

I don’t think they should make Red Dwarf about ghostbusters

Dave
    Participant

Seriously though, “last human being alive trains his successor”… I feel like there’s a logic gap there, I just can’t put my finger on it.

Bargain Bin Holly
    Participant

You mean it’d be a hugely enjoyable new take on the core concept of Red Dwarf, released 27 years after the most recent regular series, when all hope of reuniting the original cast for a non-reboot continuation has been lost anyway?

OK, well I was sceptical about the idea of a Red Dwarf reboot in general, but you’ve convinced me!

Are you under the influence

Ben Saunders
    Participant

>Hugely enjoyable

tombow
    Participant

Well, we know Lister is fated in at least some time-lines to have sons who return to his Red Dwarf, so it’s not a complete departure. I’ve always wanted to see what is going on in RD during that future, and which characters are around.

bloodteller
    Participant

maybe they were referring to the Ghostbusters remake in 2008’s “Be Kind, Rewind” where Jack Black’s character has to swede the entirety of the film on no budget at all. because that was hugely enjoyable

Dave
    Participant

That was basically what Back To Earth was, though.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

I’d say Ghostbusters was about as enjoyable as any other summer blockbuster comedy film. It’s not as good as Ghostbusters obviously but it was fine. 6.5/10.

Not going to stand outside Sony HQ screaming for a sequel but I’m not going to set fire to a paper bag full of shit on their doorstep either.

Lily
    Participant

I kinda feel that the whole “last human” thing died a long time ago. Every series they’re meeting more and more people. Even when those people get killed off in various ways it still demonstrates that Lister is far from the last human alive.

Dave
    Participant

He is, though.

bloodteller
    Participant

Lister being the last human only felt like it had any gravity and meaning in Series I-II. You had scenes like him being alone in the disco, or lines like “I knew he was dead…I mean, they’re all dead, aren’t they?” which really made it feel like it really was just him and Rimmer- everyone they knew has been dead for millenia, all that’s left are these two guys in the infinite blackness of space.

from Series III onwards it doesn’t really matter as much, and as of Series VIII the entire Red Dwarf crew are driving around in space somewhere

Bargain Bin Holly
    Participant

The show made a good transition from character-driven comedy in mostly enclosed environments to including more science-fiction elements where the adventures were usually the basis for the comedy and the characters interacted around that. Think that’s a good summary, idk

He is, though.

Potentially, although there’s every chance Kochanski and [some of] the rest of the crew are still out there alive.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.