Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum XI/XII Opening/Closing Titles

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    thomasaevans
    Participant

As much as this is being discussed elsewhere – here’s a dedicated forum post for it.

Not long to find out, but what’s your thoughts on opening & closing titles?

Options:
    – Return of the 2001 style Opening from S1 & 2 RE-SHOT obviously!
    – Standard montage to the Hendrix-style Opening theme as with S3-10
    – RE-SHOT 2001 style opening leading into Hendrix-style Opening theme as with re-mastered
    – OR let’s go crazy – something entirely different? Ideas welcome.

…and let’s be fair – I think it’s HIGHLY unlikely that we DON’T get the overhead ship crawl closing credits (given we know motion control is involved this time around and the attempt to do it for X) – but i wonder if there are some that prefer starscape backrounds like S5 – 10, OR do you have something else in mind?

si
    Participant

Gentle piano rendition of the theme with titles scrolling across the bottom of the screen, over that three sun long shot from the trailer.

(deleted)
    Participant

I do wish they’d use the Piano Fantasy somewhere. Often wanted to set it to a load of model shot flybys and see what the effect would be.

cwickham
    Participant

I happened to read which of the four options it is on a report by somebody who attended the Edinburgh screening (don’t think it was one from here though…)

All I’ve ever wanted is a scene where the I & II opening shot is incorporated into the storyline. Lister purposefully repainting the ship decals to display SS HOWARD RIMMER or LONDON JETS 4EVA.

Slainmonkey
    Participant

I would rather not reference back to SS HOWARD RIMMER, that joke was bad enough in the episode Trojan without needing it brought up again.

It was the best bloody joke in the series!

Moonlight
    Participant

I’d love to see the painting the ship opening used in Twentica to introduce the new series. They could finally make this shot work the way they’d originally intended, and not using terrible CGI this time.

A Bailey
    Participant

I adore the 2001 style opening, but at this point I’d rather it be saved. Bring it back when the series finale eventually rolls around (since it seems likely now that they will know when that happens) either for the intro, or as the end of the episode.

Would be a great bringing things full circle ending if the finale has Lister still on Red Dwarf, Kochanski is alive and they are starting to repopulate the human race. They’ll have to make sure Red Dwarf stays in good condition though so the episode ends like the original credits did, showing Lister painting the ship as we watch it fly off into the distance. Would fit with how Doug ended Last Human as well.

thomasaevans
    Participant

Yes – ending the series (for good) with the painting of the ship pulling out and out and out until the Dwarf shrinks to nothing.

Hey Doug, you reading this?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Last shot of Red Dwarf:

Lister painting the ship, Still on the F, The last crimson paintbrush stroke finishes off the signage.

Camera pans back…

Lister [Comms]: Finished…

Rimmer: Finished?

Lister: Yes!

Rimmer: Red Dwarf has two sides you know?

Camera pans round to the other side of the Dwarf. Filthy and unreadable…

Lister screams.

anniescribe
    Participant

FTW

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Holy crap, if it doesn’t end like that I’ll be so disappointed.

Just loads of shite on the dark side, dust, scorch marks, embedded post pods, a 2 mile long piece of celophane caught on the ramscoop…

Dollar Pound
    Participant

red dwarf has six sides

These are all shit ideas, especially mine.

The best series of Red Dwarf is VIII.

Fuck off.

x

Bezzy
    Participant

I like how the titles always start with the ships (ship blowing up in VIII and location Shot in BTE slight exceptions) .
    I’m guessing the Starbug leaving the planet and a shot of RD will kick of the lovely montage of crazy happenings to keep us guessing which episode they are in)

Ending in the Newey-Oldey logo :)

Moonlight
    Participant

That was a CG matte painting, not a location shot. Somebody didn’t watch the Making Of.

Dickishness aside, I agree with you. Unless they have something way better we haven’t seen, that Starbug shot would make the perfect first shot to the XI opening titles. Especially given the similar (but not as well composited) Blue Midget fly-by that began the titles of X.

The X titles could’ve used a tightening up, they didn’t move along as swiftly as III to VIII.

Back To Earth brought in the era of dawdling along and practically showing entire scenes in the titles.

Bezzy
    Participant

But to be fair to BTE there wasn’t enough content dynamic enough to make the titles.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I hope they ditch the cast credits from the opening titles.

Bezzy
    Participant

I have a feeling It was a requirement from UKTV . At least it was for RDX

(deleted)
    Participant

I like the names. They feel earned.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

What makes you think it came from UKTV? I don’t think they insist on anything – it’s a stylistic choice, and I’m of the opinion that it’s a good one.

(deleted)
    Participant

The Japanese versions of the originals have the names too, of course, more than 10 years before Dave did it.

It’s not like it’s a modern affectation anyway. Older Dwarf not having them is largely a holdover from the original idea to keep the show’s exact format a surprise until The End aired.

I don’t like them, personally. They just add a bit of clutter to an already busy sequence.

I’m hoping the XI – XII classic logo swoops down and assemble like it does in III & IV, that would make my fucking day it would.

RickLee84
    Participant

Yes, I agree. I hope that’s how it forms on screen. I also would like to see the names gone. It slows the titles down a bit as we get multiple slower shots of the actor who’s name is currently on. Just show us fast paced cuts of all the best/strange bits and be done with it.

If they could also pull the cuts from 4th generation tapes, squish the picture vertically and put chroma dot-infused red bars at the top and bottom, that’d really sell it.

You think I’m joking, I’d love that.

RickLee84
    Participant

S5’s titles were one of the best.

In fact, I don’t think I could pick a favourite out of them. III, IV, V and VI’s titles are all superb.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

It slows the titles down a bit as we get multiple slower shots of the actor who’s name is currently on.

That wasn’t the case for X – there tended to be one relevant shot per actor, and then any old shot.

si
    Participant

I’m hoping the XI – XII classic logo swoops down and assemble like it does in III & IV, that would make my fucking day it would.

I suspect it’ll appear and form in the same ‘red glow’ way that it has done in the teasers.

Moonlight
    Participant

I hope they write “XI” in chalk.

Or have Chloë Annett write ELEVEN with lipstick on the lens, wink mischievously and dance off in that grating, turn of the millennium new-age ‘look at me, aren’t I so free and fulla life and contemporary’ way that looks horribly dated now every time you see adverts and channel idents from 1998 to 2001, as if all women should embrace their inner-spirit animal and hey, why not audition for Big Brother? You can shake up the mojo of the world via sitting on your arse on a Channel 4 gameshow for two months.

Then she whips out her Nokia 3310 with interchangeable covers and has a think about her life.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

A Bailey
    Participant

EVERYONE TO THE SPOILER THREAD TO CONTINUE THIS

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.