Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Yes, Prime Minister audience recording report

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    John Hoare
    Participant

I did wot write this innit.

Thought the parallel between Dave and Red Dwarf, and Gold and Yes Prime Minister was interesting. If anyone has any questions about the recording, feel free to ask.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Love Dirty Feed. Never seen Yes, Minister in any of its forms, but always interested in a sitcom report.

John Hoare
    Participant

Thanks Pete! It’s always nice to hear someone likes the site – there’s obviously going to be less feedback for it than stuff I do here, so it’s nice to hear someone reads it and I’m not just shouting in the dark.

I strongly recommend you give the original Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister a try. It truly is one of the finest sitcoms ever written.

Pecospete666
    Participant

I agree!
    They ” PBS” are showing the old shows now so maybe well get to see the new one!
    unfortunately they will not be carrying RDX! The BASTARDS!

John Hoare
    Participant

Not worth starting another thread for, but I wrote this yesterday:

http://www.dirtyfeed.org/2012/09/lost/

I’m interested whether anyone here has had the same – quite a few people have told me similar stories…

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

I’m one of those people who doesn’t have any form of internet presence. Well i DO, but i try and make sure that my full name is not used. I either use stupid nicknames like i do here, or as is the case on my profile on my workplace website, i make sure i don’t use my full name. The main reason i do this is i like my privacy, but because i work in a profession that is very touchy about having its employees having any kind of personal internet presence, i have to be careful.

If anything, the nerdy types are the ones who fully grasp what having your name on the internet means, so they are more careful to hide it i imagine.

At work, we actually use sites like PIPL to look up people who want to come and work for us, and we’re not even slightly the only company that do this. It’s AMAZING what we find. One girl came to work for us not so long ago, and within 2 seconds of looking up her name, we’d found several naked photos of her from her Facebook page. She’s not a model of any kind, she just decided to put some naked photos of herself on her facebook profile and not bother to set any kind of privacy settings on them. If she was blasé about having them public, it would be ok, but she seemed shocked that we’d found them. Idiot!

NoFro
    Participant

Are you telling us Mr Stabby isn’t your real name? I feel deceived.

But seriously, I’m the same. I’m well aware of employers doing internet searches on people. I know people who work in professional areas such as teaching who use fake names or nicknames for facebook profiles so students, employees, employers, patients etc. can’t find them. Even if their profiles have nothing that could even be remotely seen as scandalous, there is still information that could be gathered and judged through such sites so I understand their caution.

But yes it is a shame when you can’t find people you’d like to catch up with.

mick
    Participant

A chap I went to school with and used to frequent Amiga user groups with seemingly disappeared fromt he face of the earth, no websites, no twitter, no facebook. I bumped into him last year having a meal back in Stone, Staffs with his parents and found out he works for the MOD.

My widely used “mick_aka” moniker was the product of a slightly iffy past, I used to be involved with cracking and distributing pirate software and used a pseudonym that I was credited as on various releases.
    When I began to sign up to more legitimate BBS and IRC I wanted to be addressed by my real name but for people to still realise who I was, so I decided to use “mick_aka_(old pseudonym)”, unfortunately alot of systems at the time had a limited characters for usernames so it was shortened to mick_aka.

If you google “mick_aka” theres a hell of a lot of me on there, theres also another mick_aka frequenting worryingly similar sorts of sites.

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

mick_aka – That name is familar. I seem to remember BobbyLlew mentioning your name on some video he did? Am i imagining that?

And NoFro, sorry to deceive you. My middle name is Stabby though :D

…..it isn’t

mick
    Participant

>mick_aka – That name is familar. I seem to remember BobbyLlew mentioning your name on some video he did? Am i imagining that?

No you’re not imagining it.

John Hoare
    Participant

Yes, the thought that they were just using aliases had crossed my mind – although I’d be surprised if everyone I used to know was. Interestingly, ALL my best friends now use their real name online, at least for certain things.

I sometimes wish I’d used an alias online, and it certainly would have helped under certain circumstances. But it never really felt right to use one against my writing, somehow.

I’m guess I’m lucky that my name seems to be all over the internet, and none of it is my doing, it’s just other people with my name, such as a film historian and a publishing company. I imagine anyone looking for ME by googling my name would be frustrated with all the “impostors”. Still, genericnerdyusername I use pretty much everywhere. Don’t think there’s anything that actually links that with my full name. I hope.

pfm
    Participant

> I sometimes wish I’d used an alias online, and it certainly would have helped under certain circumstances. But it never really felt right to use one against my writing, somehow.

Just out of curiosity, are you talking about things you have written on here, employers checking G&T or something?

While there might be people on here who know my real name (it’s definitely possible) I’m glad I’ve never used it for commenting cause I’ve said some pretty horrible, not to mention woefully uninformed, things over the years (hopefully nothing too recently…the being an absolute prick bit, I mean, the uninformed just comes with the territory, I’m afraid…)… It’s one of the reasons I’ve never linked to any of my work or anything like that. Not that I’ve done anything Dwarf-related so it’s irrelevant here in any case, and funnily enough I use two different pseudonyms for what I do anyway, one of them just a different surname. I did use ‘performingmonkey’ for my music many moons ago. Yes, it was the right decision to change that…:P

John Hoare
    Participant

Just out of curiosity, are you talking about things you have written on here, employers checking G&T or something?

Things written on here, yeah. And Noise To Signal and Dirty Feed too.

I’ve commented under aliases before – mainly because everyone else was using a handle – but for actual writing, no matter how unimportant, it just felt wrong. If we’re going to be pretentious about it, I suppose it’s because I’m pretty much the same person online as off, so using my real name for everything just seemed the obvious thing to do, somehow.

I should point out that I’m just talking about me, not any kind of general point that EVERYONE SHOULD POST UNDER THEIR PROPER NAMES, or anything. There are things I can’t talk about online now BECAUSE I use my real name for everything. In some ways, I could be more honest under an alias. But then using your real name has advantages too.

To my knowledge, no employer has ever checked G&T. I could defend everything I’ve written here; in fact, I’ve included it on CVs before. I hope everything I write here would come across positively because I show a passion for television. But there’s always a risk someone will take against it.

(One safeguard I always use: I never talk about my current job publicly online. That’s a bit of separation which feels eminently sensible.)

fozzibear1
    Participant

Looks like i fall into the dopey category a bit here lol, my alias is my real life nickname anyway, other than my mother and my god daughter just about everybody calls me Fozzi, even many of my clients.

As a youth worker I am simply not allowed to friend with clients, their relatives or close friends on things like facebook, it is considered a serious ethical breach by my industry association and to be honest, while it is on occassion inconvenient, I can see their point. A dodgy worker would be in a position to too easily groom a vulnerable young person.

As to the main article. This i literally the first i’ve heard of new Yes Minister, I would be very interested in any and all details anyone can give. I don’t envy whoever it is who has to fill Nigel Hawthornes shoes though.

A little tid bit, I was actually in the video store to rent some yes minister tapes when i first discovered the Big Rouge One, now i’m here to discuss red dwarf and have actively stumbled on Yes Minister so this is kind of a mini full circle type moment for me lol

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

I just post under my real name because I don’t give a flying fuck anymore!

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I post under an alias, but my alias happens to be the same as my real name. It’s a cunning plan…

si
    Participant

I just post under ‘si’ (lower case ‘s’) as that was all I could manage when I registered. Remembering how to write ‘Simon Keith Renwick Bromley’ is just too much for my brain to process, and is the cause of 87% of all my seizures.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

“I post under an alias, but my alias happens to be the same as my real name. It’s a cunning plan…”

More cunning than a fox that has just been made Professor of Cunning at Oxford University…

John Hoare
    Participant

Couldn’t bring myself to start another thread, but after a bit of a quiet patch, I’ve been updating Dirty Feed again recently. This is the KIND OF NONSENSE YOU MIGHT EXPECT:

http://www.dirtyfeed.org/2013/04/four-channels/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.