Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    Ben Paddon
    Participant

So has anybody else had their lives utterly ruined by Nintendo’s latest offering? Blimey, it’s good, though I do feel a bit of a twat walking around my pretend town holding a non-existent watering can watering imaginary flowers when I could have been going out into the actual outdoors. But there we are.

My 3DS Friend Code is 5043-1877-6294. Add me if you’re playing, and let me know what fruit you have. I have Pears, Apples, Cherries and Peaches.

Yaron Ru
    Participant

I don’t have a 3DS but I’m determined to bankrupt Tom Nook on the previous one, loanshark scummy fuck. This is what too much ganja and a lunchbreak with a DSXL does to you…

Connell
    Participant

I’ve got bananas, cherries, mangos and oranges.

Will trade for a 3DS.

Phil
    Participant

I’ve never played an Animal Crossing game…I’m considering this one but haven’t quite reached the tipping point.

Ridley
    Participant

I was tipped early this morning. Been back and forth on getting it a few times but decided to treat myself.

Phil
    Participant

Alright, I bought it. There’s something appealing about a virtual Ridley coming to my town to fuck shit up, so I’ve tipped.

So far I’ve done nothing but sleep in a pup-tent. When I got to town though they gave me a pink flowered shirt and Peach’s parasol though, so I think they have a good handle on me.

Ridley
    Participant

Wish you were that easy in real life. Have to wait for it to be delivered so I guess you’ll have to settle for Paddon fruit until then, Phil.

With the download being more expensive I can wait a few days. Plus dat cover art.

Phil
    Participant

I didn’t even check the download price…I was tempted to get it that way, since it seems like a great thing to have on the system at all times, but I had some store credit I figured I’d use up. Guess I made the right choice.

This is my system code: 2449-4714-0169

I’ll add you later, Ben. Anyone else who adds me just post here with your code and I’ll add you back.

I think I only have apples. Maybe there’s other fruit somewhere but FUCK DAT IMMA FISH ALL DAY

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Phil: Y’radded.

My fruit at the moment consist of Pears, Peaches, Cherries and (I think) Apples.

Phil
    Participant

I have apples and oranges. I’ll resist the temptation to compare them.

I would have coconuts but some time last night Tom Nook dug it up to make room for a new house. They paved paradise. :(

Ben Paddon
    Participant

What a twat.

Ridley
    Participant

What is the point of picking a secluded spot for a home if Nook is just going to plop another house right outside the door?

And I accidentally sold my watering can. :(

Phil
    Participant

As mayor I wish I had some say in where Tom Nook wants to plop his homes. It seems like wherever I plant a rare tree, he’s behind a bush somewhere with the keys to a bulldozer.

I think lame duck Tortimer must have been in the pocket of Big Nook and signed a massive set of zoning approvals into place before I took office. Now I am living with the nightmare!!!!

Also his sons try to sell me a watering can every day. Start carrying the damn slingshot already!

Phil
    Participant

Attention residents of Narcisso:

A veritable shitload of fruit has bloomed overnight!

There are apples, oranges, peaches, durians, bananas, cherries and lemons to eat off the ground like hobos. There’s also some bamboo to spank your wife with.

I hope you enjoy living in my town. Eventually I will speak to one of you.

Your Mayor,
    –Philip

Ridley
    Participant

*looks at the humble cherry basket from a town sustained almost entirely on cockle picking*

Phil
    Participant

If ever I wanted to kill a man in order to steal his clothing, it would have been Ridley for his Alan Partridge blazer.

Ridley
    Participant

You don’t have to go to such extreme lengths to get me to take it off. A few inches should etc. etc.

tanya
    Participant

I love Nintendo Wii!!

HelloMabel
    Participant

Even having nothing to do with this game, I’m verily enjoying this thread.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Watching my brother and his girlfriend play ‘Viva Piñata’ is very similar.

‘Ooh, now I can plant more seeds’
    ‘ARGH someone is attacking my garden!’… etc etc. it’s very amusing when you know nothing about the game…

Phil
    Participant

A drunk seagull mailed me a working replica of that little Belgian boy peeing.

It’s the new centerpiece of my living room.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Gulliver? He sent me a Shamrock Clock. I sold it. I hope he never finds out, or I shall be very embarrassed.

Phil
    Participant

It’s cicada season in Narcisso! Apparently. Which means it’s really annoying outdoors and far preferable to just stay inside all day.

And just like that, Animal Crossing became the most realistic game ever made.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I’ve caught about seventeen-billion variants of cicada.

That might be a slight exaggeration.

Ridley
    Participant

I like ’em.

Phil
    Participant

How do the downloadable post office items work? Like, how often can I get one? I got yelled at every day for asking the pelican, but then today she gave me a palm tree that lights up when I rub it.

Is it the same item for everyone? How often can I get a new one? Will the pelican go out with me?

Ridley
    Participant

Same for the West, probably every month and not with that attitude.

Ridley
    Participant

Anyone musically inclined able to help me switch my town’s Sherlock theme (which got old real fast) to “mmmm whatcha say”, plz?

Phil
    Participant

I had a hard time “writing” my town theme. No matter what I did, Isabella would sing it back to me and it would sound beautiful. Then later I’d hear some grumpy citizen fart out its melody and I’d be faced with just how truly shit it was.

I like mine now, though. So does the lesbian teddy bear who’s always whistling it and tricking me into thinking I hear a rare cicada.

Ridley
    Participant

Only bear in my town keeps inviting me to his home to watch him work out.

If I’d known the original town tune was random I never would have changed it.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

My town theme is the Red Dwarf theme, obviously. I’d havwe it set to the PortsCenter theme, but unless previous versions of Animal Crossing there doesn’t appear to be a way to do sharp or flat notes.

HelloMabel
    Participant

So what did you do when you got to “Fun, fun, fun”?

Phil
    Participant

He masturbated.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I didn’t. The town tune only goes up to “There’s no kind of atmosphere”.

When the game reaches the top of the hour and the clock bell goes off, it sounds like the Creator’s doorbell from BtE.

Phil
    Participant

Will pay good money for Hawaiian shirts (or “Aloha” shirts I guess) in anything but red.

…no I won’t. But I’ll give you some bells.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Find me a good shirt pattern online and I’ll make you a shirt.

Phil
    Participant
    Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

You’re all adorable.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

You’re all adorable.

Ridley
    Participant

You can get different shirt colours at… the island.

And why is that shirt not available in human adult size?

Phil
    Participant

My island only ever has the damn red one. Tortimer be trollin’!!!!

Ridley
    Participant

[Buster]Mom sent me a swimming cap so I can join her on the beach where she’s showing of her swimsuit…[/Buster]

Phil
    Participant

When the F does Club LOL open up? Some creepy-ass monster showed up and asked me to collect signatures, so I did that, and he said he’d be opening on main street and to feel free to check in on how he’s doing.

He’s never been back since. I feel like I’ve just been sold a monorail.

si
    Participant

My sister wants me to share a picture of her town’s flag with you. The Parks and Recreation fans will appreciate it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNOrBZMCYAAIYlH.jpg:large

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Phil: The club opened up about a week after I got the signatures.

Phil
    Participant

Thanks Ben. Club LOL opened up last night, and I went in and was immediately depressed by the sight of a dog playing hip-hop variations on my shitty town theme to an empty room. :(

Si: That looks great! Let your sister know you can take screen shots by pressing L and R together, though, that may make it easier for her to share pictures when she wants to!

Ridley
    Participant

HELP! PHIL HAS US TRAPPED ON AN ISLAND AND WON’T LET US LEAVE!!

IT’S NOT NEARLY AS EROTIC AS THE BROCHURE MADE OUT!

ONLY 39%

IF THAT

Phil
    Participant

Sorry! Had something unexpected to attend to.

I eventually returned and let all of the trapped people return to civilization.

All of the trapped people that you know of.

Also nobody go bug hunting with Ridley.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

You can also upload screenshots directly from the 3Ds, which is nice. Just press Home during the game, open the web browser (which won’t close the game), and go to i.nintendo.net. Yu can upload to Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook.

Phil
    Participant

Posting this here for my own reference later, and just in case it appeals to you guys:

View post on imgur.com

I’m not using any of these yet because I want more public works stuff done before I start laying down roads and paths that I may have to end up changing later. But if you’re more advanced in your city planning, hopefully you’ll like some of these. They do look great.

Anyway I think the only fruits I need now are pears and persimmons. Somebody give me those.

I do have a question about my house…does the physical space it takes up in the town ever change? I know Nook told me to pick an area that left room for expansion, but I’ve added a second floor, a basement and a room in the back, and I don’t know if it’s actually gotten bigger.

If the house itself doesn’t physically grow I’m going to kill him because that’s the only reason I picked the space that I did.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I have Pears Phil, but I’m in San Diego for the week and won’t have much time for Animal Crossing.

Pecospete666
    Participant
    Phil
    Participant

I won the Bug-Off.

John Hoare
    Participant

I won the Bug-Off.

Same here, with 100 points.

But I was at a TV recording at 6pm so the ceremony was cancelled :-(

Phil
    Participant

I got 122…but then I had to go to work so I didn’t have a chance to catch more and find out if it was high or low.

It was a Horned Hercules I think, which I found on the beach as soon as the Bug-Off started, which makes me wonder if they unleash rare bugs more frequently during special events like this.

Again, though, I didn’t have the time to find out. :( I did get to see the ceremony though. And then talk to some pissed off villagers who worked much harder for this than I did.

Ridley
    Participant

Is there actually a ceremony considering the way that guy collects them?

I just went to The Island and got something from there to win.

Nice of the game to show a scoprion in my town on the title screen when I’d just left the game.

But at least I have a badge for being a backyard gardener.

Ridley
    Participant

Also, “i am online!” is the AC vogans.

Phil
    Participant

I think my game is glitched now. My game locked up online (with Ridley) and Resetti showed up on the top screen, just staring at me and not moving. Eventually it restarted on its own and I lost all my items and money.

So I went back to try to get some of those items again and the game froze again.

Then this morning I all of a sudden have a Perfect Town rating, despite the fact that there’s dead trees and flowers everywhere and I live in a hole.

No understand.

Ridley
    Participant

I entered Phil’s hole and all I got was this lousy chocolate coin.

takerdemon
    Participant

Am I the only human being in the world that loves video games but doesn’t get Animal Crossing? What’s the appeal?

I enjoyed a quick dabble in Pokemon back in the day and the other Nintendo mainstays (Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda etc.) but the appeal of this one eludes me.

Maybe I’ve been ruined by playing too much Playstation Vita…

Speaking of which, if anyone owns one then you certainly need to play Persona 4 Golden. An utterly bonkers yet absorbing JRPG.

Phil
    Participant

I didn’t get it either. I remember when the Game Cube one was big over here, and my girlfriend and her friends all loved it. One day they booted it up and passed me the controller…

…and I had no clue why anybody would play this. They told me to go get some shells to trade for money, and use the money to add on to my house. And to catch bugs for the museum. And to talk to all the villagers or they’d get angry and leave. And a whole bunch of other stuff that really just sounded like a chore. It was obviously massively popular so I didn’t think they were crazy for enjoying it, but I didn’t really get it.

New Leaf is the first one I’ve owned and given a chance to, and I actually can safely say I love it. I have no idea what changed for me, but reading all the great reviews — and then seeing a bunch of internet friends enjoying it and realizing it might be fun for multiplayer — I decided to grab it.

Maybe it’s a bit of timing for me. There’s a lot of change going on in my life right now and not all of it is anywhere near welcome. Popping into Animal Crossing and rearranging my town and planting trees and such…it’s like a digital Zen garden for me. It’s a chance to take things easy and aimlessly with soothing music and cute dialogue. It’s fun.

My other video game therapy tends to be the Mega Man series…and this obviously couldn’t get much further than that. But whereas I like Mega Man for the chance to out-think the stage designers, I like this one for the sake of not thinking…and just being.

Again, if you don’t see the appeal, believe me. I know exactly how that feels and I understand completely.

But for whatever reason, this time something clicked, and it’s been pretty great.

Jo
    Participant

I am now playing this. My friend code is: 3754-7275-0169

Ridley
    Participant

Is there a way to get my friend code to you people without posting it in a public place?

Jo
    Participant

*shrugs* what could anyone do with a friend code? They only work if both people put the codes in don’t they?

Jo
    Participant

Finding it a bit frustrating that various places close at 8/9pm and don’t open again until 10am… When I’ll be at work. hmm. I will mostly play this after 6pm (internet connected from 7:15ish) so not sure how much value I’m going to get out of it outside of the weekend.

I spent ages collecting and selling fruit, fish and shells to get my money for my house only to get to Nook’s and find he’d closed 10 minutes earlier. Bah! :-(

I’m just running around trying to find things to do now. Any tips?

Phil
    Participant

Jo:
    Before long you will have the ability to implement Town Ordinances. One of them is the Night Owl Ordinance, which allows you to have graphic sex with Silk Spectre while Leonard Cohen plays.

ACTUALLY NO but it does cause all of the shops to stay open a lot later, which probably makes it a good choice for your schedule.

Also, VERY mild spoilers here…

…you won’t have to visit Nook for long either. You’ll be able to make payments for the house and renovations at a machine in the post office, which is open all night. So that will help soon.

The first few days are a bit dull (I think they want you to spend that time getting to know / helping your villagers), but very quickly you’ll find a lot of things opening up, which allows you to do more.

As far as productivity goes in those first few days: do lots of fishing / bug catching. Donate everything to the museum. Help all your residents. Shake all your trees and hit all your rocks with a shovel.

That’ll be about the best you can do until…some other options make themselves available.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Phil speaks the truth. You’ll soon settle into the groove, and being the mayor, you’ll be able to shape that.

Ridley
    Participant

*shrugs* what could anyone do with a friend code?

TOO MUCH FOR MY LIKING

takerdemon
    Participant

Phil – That response makes sense, it’s the way I’ve felt about many games. Maybe I need to buy a 3DS and give it a whirl… if I still don’t get it then I can get Mario Kart and the Mario Bros to compensate me.

I must say though, good choice on the Mega Man front. I love those games and I can definitely see them as some sort of therapy although I think you must be a bit sadistic because those games are TOUGH! Come to think of it, I don’t think I ever did beat the final boss of Mega Man 2… that’s my objective for 2013 sorted!

Phil
    Participant

Mario Kart 7 and Mario 3D Land are both fan-tas-tic games. The 3DS really has a wealth of awesome stuff. Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Resident Evil: Revelations are all excellent too. As well as a bunch I’m sure I’m forgetting. There’s some truly great stuff available for it right now.

Also, I am definitely a bit sadistic on the Mega Man front. :) My youtube channel (/felixdeckett) has videos of me playing through every Mega Man boss stage without taking damage. So far I’ve done 1 – 6 on the NES, 7 on the SNES and V on the Game Boy (since that one has unique bosses). I’ll get to the rest when I have a way to record them, but if you’re interested in seeing me punish myself, over and over and over again, there ya go.

clem
    Participant

I’m hooked too now. My code is 4184-2054-6550. I named my town Toddlin.

Jo
    Participant

Thanks for the tips Phil! :-)

Jo
    Participant

I passed the Night Owl ordinance a couple of days ago, much better, thanks Phil!

I just made it over to the island today, spent today fishing, bug catching and working out how to grab creatures when you’re diving. Jellyfish can bugger off.

I’ve added everyone who has put their friend code in this thread, feel free to add me back. :)
    Ridley are you on Twitter? Maybe you could DM your friend code? You could email it, my FC email is on the team page: http://www.reddwarffanclub.com

Ridley
    Participant

Email be sent.

clem
    Participant

This morning I met Joan the turnip seller. I think she’s my new favourite. I’ve had no trouble with jellyfish yet. It’s the bees that keep stinging me – I just can’t seem to outrun them.

takerdemon
    Participant

Phil – you’re crazy! I need to learn your Megaman skills! I know it’s all patterns but WOW!

I feel left out now with all the friend code sharing! I need to get a 3DS to get in on this! If anyone wants to hit me up on PSN in the meantime, I’m takerdemon

Put G&T in the message so I know who you are, I don’t generally add people I don’t know in some capacity.

Ridley
    Participant

How often does the Stalk Market price change? I thought it was twice a day but I’ve had the decreasing pattern all week and despite it being low this morning and lower this afternoon, I’ve just sold my turnips for a profit.

Wassup wit’ dat?

Ridley
    Participant

How often does the Stalk Market price change? I thought it was twice a day but I’ve had the decreasing pattern all week and despite it being low this morning and lower this afternoon, I’ve just sold my turnips for a profit.

Wassup wit’ dat?

Jo
    Participant

I haven’t met a turnip seller yet.
    I’ve been to the fortune teller… I’m not sure what the point of her is yet. I don’t have any of the items she said will bring me luck anyway.
    That fox with the dodgy paintings has visited once.
    The badge man seems to be in my village every other day. I think he’s stalking me.
    I wished on a star though and got a fancy bed.
    I accidentally sent Gulliver to the wrong place, but he sent me a gift anyway. Nice fella!
    Scoot (duck with underpants on his head) told me he was going to leave and I told him not to so he decided to stay. I wish I’d let him go, he’s annoying.
    I left my town open and left my 3DS on the side at weekend, when I returned I was surrounded by items. I was very confused until I saw Ridley running at me bearing more gifts. Thanks Ridley!

Jo
    Participant

>Posting this here for my own reference later, and just in case it appeals to you guys:

View post on imgur.com

Thanks for this Phil, I don’t think I’m ready to set down paths yet, I want to organise the layout a bit more first, but this will be v. helpful :)

Ridley
    Participant

I haven’t met a turnip seller yet.

Sunday mornings.

I don’t trust Nook not to build over my trees if a villagers leaves so I beg them all to stay…

Jo
    Participant

>It’s cicada season in Narcisso! Apparently. Which means it’s really annoying outdoors and far preferable to just stay inside all day.

Solution: Have one of your town residents ask you to get one for them. Then the little cunts are nowhere to be found!

redhead85
    Participant

From what I recall of the original game, you need to jump into water to get the bees to bugger off.

Jo
    Participant

You have to catch the bees with a net in New Leaf, you can only jump in the water if you’re wearing a wetsuit.

I have caught 3 bees in total, mostly I just get stung and the townsfolk mock me. Bastards.

clem
    Participant

You can go into a building to get away from bees, but you can’t go into a house if there’s nobody home.

Ridley
    Participant

Which is almost always.

And when they are home it’s like stepping into Jed Maxwell’s house.

Ridley
    Participant
    Phil
    Participant

>Mario Kart 7 and Mario 3D Land are both fan-tas-tic games. The 3DS really has a wealth of awesome stuff. Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Resident Evil: Revelations are all excellent too. As well as a bunch I’m sure I’m forgetting.

Just want to add Shin Megami Tensei IV to that list. Because HOLY FUCK IT’S INCREDIBLE AND I USUALLY HATE THIS KIND OF GAME.

Ridley
    Participant

I do have a code for that free download copy of New Leaf thanks to a buddy being unable to get it.

So if any eligible European and/or South African is happy registering a 3DS XL at Club Nintendo, it’s yours if you (or someone you know) want it.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

The bees are just a bit annoying; it’s getting bitten/stung by a tarantula or scorpion that upsets me! My code is 0361-6978-1169. Rutland has a campsite and we’re saving up for a cafe. HOW EXCITING.

Jo
    Participant

I managed to catch a tarantula today *proud face* I’m usually so busy running around that I don’t spot them until it’s too late and they knock me out.

Sylvia (Kangaroo) asked me if I could taken a modern table off her hands. The two options were “sure” and “this seems suspicious…” I went with sure, because I wanted a modern table and she said as an aside (in grey text) “For a second there I thought that wouldn’t work…”
    This isn’t the first time she’s done something that seems bit dodgy, what’s the deal? Is she a thief and she’s fencing her stolen goods through me? WTF is going on with this Aussie bint?

Jo
    Participant

Arp! I think my town has been invaded by crickets! They’re fricking everywhere :-S

Jo
    Participant

I didn’t think that mystic woman did anything in particular, telling you to wear a certain item for good luck… but after yesterday I’m assuming you can have bad luck in game days?
    I kept falling over every time I ran, got a higher proportion of boots and cans instead of fish, got stung by the bees every time (they seemed to be quicker than usual) and I also got a losing fortune cookie ticket which has never happened before.

clem
    Participant

Have you been rearranging furniture? You might have messed up your feng shui.

Jo
    Participant

Seriously?

I haven’t rearranged anything for a few days, I added a few bits to one room yesterday though – wall sconce and a dinosaur egg.

clem
    Participant

Yep, red, yellow and green items can affect your luck depending on where you put them in your main room. A good rule of thumb is to place green things next to your south wall.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

I’m not sure that really has an effect; I had a clumsy day recently without having moved anything in my room.

In happier news, I can now get take-away coffee from my town’s cafe. The look of happiness on my face every time I took a swig made all the bell-gathering worth it.

Jo
    Participant

I’ve not been able to play for 4 days… bit scared that when I go in all my townsfolk are going to have left and everything will be dead :(

Ridley
    Participant

The snooty hamster is out on her cheeks the first chance I get for saying I’m clearly better than everyone else in town.

clem
    Participant

I got a golden watering can at last!

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.