Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Best and worst episode endings

Viewing 42 posts - 1 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    locusceruleus
    Participant

The discussion of Tikka To Ride’s Lister-drubbing in another thread got me thinking – I know we’ve discussed cliffhangers in other threads, but I don’t remember a thread dedicated solely to episode endings

Few things seem to have caused Rob & Doug more consternation over the years than episode endings, as the numerous alternate endings we’ve seen on the DVDs and stories of last minute rewrites attest to.

Red Dwarf is a show that’s never going to be comfortable with a nice sitcom standard ‘everyone laughs and there’s a freeze frame’, and apart from in rare circumstances it seems that the preference is to end on a solid woofer once all the loose ends have been tied up. The majority of the time episodes that end with a big joke or a big reveal hit the mark, but sometimes the shift in tone is too stark.

Out Of Time stands out as an excellent and dramatic series climax, whereas the ‘Urine Recyc’ ending would have been a massive anticlimax.

Personally I think neither the broadcast version nor the alternate versions of ‘Only The Good’ seem ‘right’. In a show that has had such interesting philosophical views (at least as far as sitcoms go) and tackled the weightier problems of existence on numerous occasions, having a character actually, physically confront Death seems far too on the nose. Wasn’t The Inquisitor already basically the series’ Death stand-in?

Ouroboros has a great and effective ending that fits the titles idea (matching up with the cold opening) and doesn’t feel the need to go for a joke, which I think would have ruined the whole thing.

I remember a fairly in depth discussion of the ending of Justice, which seemed to split opinion 50/50. It’s grown on me over the years.

Anyhow, what’s everyone else’s favourite and least favourite episode endings? Are any of the deleted/unused endings superior to the broadcast versions?

John Hoare
    Participant

Justice’s ending feels odd because of the lack of audience laugh, I think. I love it, though, and if I’ve said otherwise before, I was WRONGE.

The revised ending to Kryten has to stand as one of the worst things Re-mastered ever did.

THIS IS AN INTERESTING TOPIC AND I WILL CONTRIBUTE MORE WHEN I HAVE THOUGHT FURTHER.

locusceruleus
    Participant

>The revised ending to Kryten has to stand as one of the worst things Re-mastered ever did.

My copy of Bodysnatcher is in storage in another country and I haven’t seen the remastered Kryten in years – can someone refresh my memory?

JamesTC
    Participant

>My copy of Bodysnatcher is in storage in another country and I haven’t seen the remastered Kryten in years – can someone refresh my memory?

They re-instated what was originally intended. Kryten blasting out of the ship on the spacebike. The effect wouldn’t have worked in 1989 which is why they dropped it. It didn’t work in 1999.

Jonsmad
    Participant

I really like the low key ending to Back to Reality. Krytens laughing at the human race is great, as is his realisation that pretty much no one is in on the joke with him, and you need to leave him in a bit on an embarrassed mode after than, and Rimmers gentle telling off and simple piloting command give that and just bring a sense of relief having not actually seen starbug and the crew die earlier, and reality and status quo actually being a warm sense of everything as normal. It’s a let’s go home and have a cup of tea type moment. (Doesnt work as well in back to earth is sequel really, though the ending is ok, being in a corridor doesnt quite feel so group harmony or usual setting, they maybe should have gone for a pull out from ship window with lister standing there thinking, in reverse of the shows opening episode.)

The jigsaw peice in Thanks for the memory. Inspired Genius.

Gun Men pretty thrilling with music.

The end’s ending is a great setup for the thrust of the series, or at least the early series focus.

Blue’s ending really you have to consider the whole song I think up to the line, pretty darn enjoyable.

Quarantine’s ending is fucking stupid, but gotta love it’s lunacy.

Utter shite are Only the goods cliff hanger, back in the red’s dibley walk, duct
    soup. the bike ending of Kryten is a bit fudged, and I can see why they tried to remaster it into something.

Of the more big joke to end, endings, I think I like The inquisitor. The squirm of sickness in that is interesting to move into credits on a moment like that.

Phil
    Participant

>Out Of Time stands out as an excellent and dramatic series climax, whereas the ‘Urine Recyc’ ending would have been a massive anticlimax.

Thank you. I mentioned something to this effect before and got a lot of disagreement…opinions are opinions of course, but I honestly couldn’t believe anyone would prefer the “we drank pee” joke to the brilliant, urgent chaos of what we got.

Among the best endings is definitely Back to Reality, cliche as that might be. Among the worst is Lister falling into a hole and the crew shutting the lid. Something about that just doesn’t work for me…maybe it’s the way Craig is delivering his lines so that he can get them all out before he falls…but it just feels so manufactured to me, and not organic. I much prefer the philosophy / punchline at the end of Meltdown.

si
    Participant

The revised ending to Polymorph: Remastered is pretty awful, too.

Only The Good… has an awful ending, but then, it’s a pretty awful episode, full stop.

Backwards has a great ending – toilet humour, end on a laugh – and, again, the Jigsaw in Thanks For The Memory is great, not just because it’s a nice, clever shot, but also because the jigsaw has been part of the story throughout.
    I think Confidence and Paranoia and Camille have good endings, too.

JamesTC
    Participant

‘Out of Time’ is the greatest ending/cliffhanger to any piece of fiction ever.

I always prefer the xtended version of Series VII and that gives a great ending to ‘Tikka to Ride’. That’s a much better “revenge” on Lister for what he’d caused.

‘Cassandra’ has a great ending with the Rude Goldberg machine and Lister’s generic sci-fi spiel being completely shit on by causality.

Soup-er.

Potor
    Participant

Waiting For God – closing credits garbage pod – love it

HelloMabel
    Participant

Yes, I know it’a a bandwagon answer, but I love the Thanks for the Memory ending, too.

The gratuitous violence at the end of Tikka is being discussed over on the other thread and I think it’s my least favorite ending. The Duct Soup one is pretty bad, too.

srmcd1
    Participant

I personally will say that “Terrorform” has to be my all time most-hated ending. The whole thing was fine up until that final scene, which I skip every time, simply because it’s just unnecessarily cruel to Rimmer. I know that Status Quo is God and all that, but still…

HelloMabel
    Participant

>The gratuitous violence at the end of Tikka is being discussed over on the other thread

Just realized that locusceruleus already said that when he started this thread. Sorry.

pfm
    Participant

Oh I’m not particularly fond of Holoship’s ending, with the music etc. I always want it to end back on the Dwarf too, with Rimmer’s speech being in front of the crew, or maybe just Lister. Granted, there was already the ‘people I met’ speech earlier so it could have been a little repetitive…

Gunmen’s ending is triumphantly perfect! TFTM too with the jigsaw, as has already been mentioned. Two perfect pieces of television right there. As for comedy endings, you can’t beat stuff like the Cat at the end of ‘Backwards’, Rimmer’s last line of ‘Marooned’, Holly at the end of ‘Queeg’. You’ve gotta love those kinds of endings that leave you with a huge grin on your face every time! :D

And, er, a guilty pleasure has to be BITR when Lister puts the sexual magnetism virus on Rimmer and the guys surround him…;)

locusceruleus
    Participant

>Just realized that locusceruleus already said that when he started this thread. Sorry.

No reason to apologize.

I’m glad so many have brought up Thanks For The Memory. That really is excellent, but then for a series so early in it’s run, the whole structure of that episode is a brave and bold step forward.

Gunmen’s also works for me in a big way, but I’m a sucker for a western too. The closing model shot is a great piece of work. Back To Reality has kind of a lower-key variant of that same kind of ending – one Star Trek is particularly fond of, and what I’d less than succinctly dub a ‘so that’s the end of that chapter – boldly onwards to the next one’ type of ending. It works equally well for Dwarf.

MANI506
    Participant

The only ending that I really hate is Only The Good as broadcast. The alternate ending is better and the audience applause seems right in that case. When I saw the broadcast version I thought Death was stupid and the caption was stupid and I DIDN’T FEEL LIKE APPLAUSING. Just off to the Angry Dome…

As mentioned TFTM is very satisfying and Backwards leaves on a great woofer. The Justice and Terrorform endings have bothered me a tiny bit in the past but I like both now. I always thought the ending to both Polymorphs were a bit pony. All time favourite is Out Of Time. Stunning.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Si mentioned it up top, but the re-mastered ending to Polymorph is so terrible it needs mentioning twice, and then stabbed to death.

There’s probably an article somewhere on broadcast episode endings vs alternate ones. There’s all the cliffhanger bits and bobs, extra bits from deleted scenes, re-mastered changes, where the cut-off point could have been for the likes of BITR and BTE, woofers vs non-woofers, etc.

Bagsies.

Jimboid
    Participant

> My copy of Bodysnatcher is in storage in another country

Blimey, that’s a bit extreme. If you don’t like it, just sell it!

Both Polymorph endings are pretty bad. The second Lister reveal is ok…but spoiled by a shonky camera zoom and the unnecessary reminder that HE’S THE POLYMPORPH!

The “What a Dibley!” ending to Polymporph 2 is embarrassing.

But the king of climactic turds has to go to Back in the Red Part 2. The whole Reservoir Dogs parody. Unwatchable.

As for the best? I do love White Hole. “Obnoxious, trumped up, farty little smeghead.” Poetry.

Phil
    Participant

>The “What a Dibley!” ending to Polymporph 2

Damn you for reminding me of that. I had finally scrubbed it from my mind.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Series I’s are all pretty great. “The slime’s coming home!” “Say cheese, boys!” “How did I do, Mr Lister, SIR!” “IT’S A SMEGGING GARBAGE POD!” “Now you’ve got it in stereo, baby!” “Souper!”

In fact, that’s an astonishingly good collection considering how weak some of the later ones for otherwise good episodes are.

I’m going to posit that the end of “The Beginning” is going to jump to the top of most people’s “best ending” lists. And that there’ll be debate over “Dear Dave”‘s.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Series I’s are all pretty great.

I’ve never noticed that before but, yes, all very good.

>And that there’ll be debate over “Dear Dave“‘s.

Are my hopes that they’ve changed this futile, then?

Alex
    Participant

Are my hopes that they’ve changed this futile, then?

Did anyone really think they would? Going by the reaction at the recording it’ll certainly be a contentious issue. That said, I didn’t have that much of a problem with it in the context of that particular show, though I understand why others were uncomfortable with it. I’m not justifying it; I could just believe the reasons for it coming from who it does when following the previous 29 minutes.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Did anyone really think they would?

Well, there were pick ups so I was hoping maybe a replacement would be toyed with. I think anyone who’s got a problem with a curry and a can of lager being used to publicise the show, will feel a little uneasy with it.

locusceruleus
    Participant

>Blimey, that’s a bit extreme. If you don’t like it, just sell it!

Love the damn thing, but can’t afford to buy another copy. I prefer to think of it as in stasis.

>The “What a Dibley!” ending to Polymporph 2 is embarrassing.

Ugh…God, yes, I’d forgotten that one too. See, that seems like a forced attempt to generate some sort of playground/t-shirt slogan whereas the series I list Seb mentioned are just all genuinely great, memorable quotes and terrific endings.

Amazing that they seemed to have it worked out to a fine art all the way back then.

pfm
    Participant

“Souper!” is just fantastic.

Underestimate series 1 at your peril!!!

Jo
    Participant

Re: Dear Dave.
    I hope they do change it. Maybe it’ll feel better within the whole thing… but I doubt it, not for me anyway. Not really sure how you can defend it at this stage based on the previous 29mins, especially when we didn’t see anywhere near the whole 29mins.

Alex
    Participant

Well yes, I’m guessing at some of the content, but going by what we did see you can get enough of an overview to see where it was going. Like I say, I can understand people not being comfortable with it, but I guess it just came across as being out of exasperation rather than malice to me.

Jonsmad
    Participant

>I’m going to posit that the end of “The Beginning” is going to jump to the top >of most people’s “best ending” lists.

Not mine, I dont think. But yeah It could for most people, and it would be in my very good list, not in any bad list.

I’m very intrigued about Dear Dave now, knowing nothing of that one yet.

Kris Carter
    Participant

Re: Dear Dave – I like the ending, it was funny, I hope it remains unchanged.

Jo
    Participant

>Re: Dear Dave – I like the ending, it was funny, I hope it remains unchanged.

I understand that you and others may have found it funny, but I didn’t. I don’t mind the ending itself, it’s just one word that causes problems for me. It’s difficult to debate under the spoiler policy, but basically I’m not happy with that character using that word in that context. It just doesn’t sit right with me. I noticed during one of the retakes that the actor changed it for another word and I was much happier with the line. As it was originally though, I didn’t find it funny and if it remains unchanged it’s going to ruin, what was up until that point, a great episode for me.

ANYWAY… I shall say no more on the matter, because I’m aware that I’m repeating myself, dancing around the spoiler policy quite precariously and quite frankly it upsets me to think of me not enjoying new RD.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Do let us know what it might have been changed to after the episode airs, though.

Jo
    Participant

I shall! I’m sure there’ll be much discussion once it’s aired ;)

Almighty_crj
    Participant

Speaking of Kryten, I do wonder why it never finished on “Swivel on it, punk!” and the resulting exit. What he does next is largely irrelevant.

Also have a soft spot for the end of Krytie tv.

Pecospete666
    Participant

I liked it too! There was suppose to be Tee shirts with that on them! I can not find them!

Karnie
    Participant

One of the worst (or at least unfunny), in my opinion, is “Back to Reality”, with “Justice” pretty close. They both felt somewhat awkward and shoe-horned it.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

They should start bringing more T-shirts out should GNP *nods*. There are people out there who are willing to design T-shirts for GNP *nods*.

GNP should bring out T-shirts again *nods*

si
    Participant

I’d like to see some RDX shirts, definitely. Though I’d also like to see some new shirts based on classic shows for the 25th anniversary, maybe with sI or II designs. We’ve never had a “Everybody’s Dead, Dave” t-shirt, for example, or a Queeg t-shirt. Come to that, I don’t think we’ve ever had a series three shirt, either. A Sensational Reverse Brothers tee would be great.

clem
    Participant

> I don’t think we’ve ever had a series three shirt

There was a ‘Let’s get out there and twat it’ one iirc.

I like the little moment between Kryten and Lister at the end of The Last Day. Not mad about Rimmer getting blown up in Timeslides, bit too daft.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>There was a ‘Let’s get out there and twat it’ one iirc.

The pic is from series IV though (I assume that was Si’s point, anyway).

si
    Participant

> (I assume that was Si’s point, anyway)

Yes. Yes, it was. Absolutely. No question. (I actually remembered about the Twat It shirt just after my original post, but completely forgot that it wasn’t a photo from the episode. But don’t tell anyone I said that.)

Jimboid
    Participant

I’m sure there was a Reverse Brothers T-Shirt back in the day.

Or is my brain lying to me?

si
    Participant

I’m going to have to find some of the ads in the Smegazines. I can’t remember any of the Srehtorb myself, but it was a long time ago.

Phil
    Participant

>Not mad about Rimmer getting blown up in Timeslides, bit too daft.

This thread is reminding me of how many shit-awful endings I’d blocked from my memory. Cheers!

Viewing 42 posts - 1 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.