Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Craig And Danny did Kryten

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I’ve just got back from the National Space Centre in Leicester where they are haveing their British Sci-Fi weekend. Chris Barrie and DJJ were both there signing and having pictures taken.

They held a Q&A for the two this afternoon which included such riveting questions as “Danny, did you enjoy singing tongue tied?” and “How much like your characters are you in real life?”

Highlight was Chris calling Bobby on his mobile and the audience all singing Happy Birthday to him…

….anyway. At the end, somebody was asking which other Red Dwarf character would they like to have played and why. Danny told a story about he and Craig both putting on one of Krytens old used masks each and the make up department spraying them to match skin colour. Then they went downstairs and freaked Doug out….The way he was talking, I got the impression that this was from a recentish filming. Maybe BtE or RDX.

He also mentioned that Doug was seriously contemplating a storyline in which everyone played another character. Much like Craig and Chris in Bodyswap…

If anyone see’s DJJ, he says he has pictures on his iPhone of him and Craig as Black Mechanoids and he’s more than happy to show them…Maybe we should all ask him to put the images up on Twitter….

Jonsmad
    Participant

Wait a minute, black people, putting on white latex and then blacking up, im confused. Is that anti-robot ist?

pfm
    Participant

All of them as mechanoids would have been pretty funny and. DNA might have been a good time to do it, have Kryten swap with Lister. Just the thought of Craig done up as a mechanoid is making me laugh already!

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

First thought to cross my mind was “A bit racist for Danny that. Blacking up…” and then I realised…and it just wouldn’t compute. It sounds like a mechanoid version of the black and white minstrals….but not

pendo86
    Participant

I asked Danny on Twitter if he could share the picture. This was his reply:
    https://twitter.com/#!/DannyJohnJules/status/178840174824914944

I wonder why he can’t tweet it? Perhaps it will relevant to an RDX storyline like ori suggests?

Dax101
    Participant

maybe it just gives away the look of the new kryten mask and danny dont wanna get in trouble

pendo86
    Participant

Ah possibly.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

DJJ did say that at one point Doug was considering a plot line that involved all the actors playing each others characters, but I got the impression that this was an old idea that didn’t go anywhere. He then later said that when Doug saw them as mechanoids, you could see his mind start working of how he could work it into a story. He finished this sentance with the words “it would be called Opposite World or something”.

I’m now desperate to see these images. DJJ and Chris were to popular to be able to approach after the Q&A. I did get a few words with them both before….but that was before I heard of the existence of the mechanoid pics…

I wonder if there is anybody here on G&T talented enough to have a photoshop play and see if they can do a rough estimation….#baitingthetalented

pfm
    Participant

Maybe he can’t show it because Doug is considering doing that story in the future?

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I wonder if he or somebody else considers the “blacking up” of the Kryten mask questionable. In the same way as some may consider a white guy “blacking up” to be Duane Dibbley in a costume contest might be.

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

I wonder if he or somebody else considers the “blacking up” of the Kryten mask questionable. In the same way as some may consider a white guy “blacking up” to be Duane Dibbley in a costume contest might be.

I never quite got why people think blacking up is ‘racist’. Could someone actually explain to me succinctly why it is?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

And is the movie White Chicks racist? Or is it just equally offensive to everyone because it’s so awful?

LAST WEEK ON G+T : Religion and Morality.
    THIS WEEK : Racism

si
    Participant

White Chicks is terrible. Shocking. Dispicable.

True Identity, starring Lenny Henry, on the other hand…

Alex
    Participant

LAST WEEK ON G+T : Religion and Morality.
    THIS WEEK : Racism

I’m predicting incest for next week then.

p2p_productions
    Participant

“All right, Goldmember. There’s only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people’s cultures… and the Dutch.”

Kris Carter
    Participant

I dunno. We run out of new Dwarf studio dates and it all goes MENTAL.

HelloMabel
    Participant

>I never quite got why people think blacking up is ‘racist’. Could someone actually explain to me succinctly why it is?

Blackface is racist for two reasons. First, the exaggerated features, particularly the large white eyes, portray black people as ugly, subhuman freaks. Second, there is a painful history of exploitation of the black culture by white people in the music industry. Believe it or not, minstrelsy was the first financially lucrative American popular music. The first sound film featured Al Jolson, a white man in blackface singing Mammy.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I don’t think anyone would disagree that “blackface” is racist and deep offensive, but there’s a difference between that and modern-day blacking up – mainly the lack of exaggerated, subhuman features that you mention. The much-discussed guy in the Duane Dibbley fancy dress costume is possibly a little misjudged, but is it racist?

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

>Blackface is racist for two reasons. First, the exaggerated features, particularly the large white eyes, portray black people as ugly, subhuman freaks. Second, there is a painful history of exploitation of the black culture by white people in the music industry.

Does this make pantomime dames sexist for the same reasons then?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

The much-discussed guy in the Duane Dibbley fancy dress costume is possibly a little misjudged, but is it racist?

Racist? Not really, but terribly misjudged.

As we mentioned in the Dwarfcast regarding this. We told Craig the situation, and he understood what the lad was trying to do, he wanted to look like ‘Duane Dibbley’ and complete the look. That’s all it was. He wasn’t going out of his way to offend anyone, but given the connotations of it were not really thought about.

However, I believe it was innocent in intent, but as I say, misjudged.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Does this make pantomime dames sexist for the same reasons then?

Well, no, because you always have a woman playing the lead, male character.

As Mabel says, the taboo comes from a time of grossly exaggerated blacking up and the way black people were portrayed by white people and also removing any need to have black people playing the parts or making the music.

Obviously these days you’d never have a white performer blacking up because luckily we now consider non-white people to be actual human beings, and even if the intention is fairly innocent mimicry (like the Duane Dibbley guy) it’s still tapping into a deeply unpleasant history.

That said, anyone who thinks matching a prosthetic mask to the colour of the actor’s skin is in any way the same as a white performer blacking up needs to have a word with themselves.

si
    Participant

He’s a good ‘un, that Richard.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Less impressive than I first envisioned…but I’m happy to have got to see this. I wonder if this is the extent of the Craig and Danny mechanoid make up job, or whether they put a bit more work into this after the picture was taken…

pfm
    Participant

So, that’s the new series mask? It is a little…weird, and that’s not just cause Craig and Danny are wearing it. V and VI remain the benchmark. That is Kryten’s definitive look IMO. I find it amusing that 20 years later they still can’t better them!

HelloMabel
    Participant

>I wonder if this is the extent of the Craig and Danny mechanoid make up job, or whether they put a bit more work into this after the picture was taken…

I hope they did more work on it. Too bad they couldn’t have found some brown foam rubber rather than coloring it in. It just looks like Mech Cat was down the coal mine too long.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I had posted a couple of video’s from this Q&A up on You Tube, but they weren’t of anything significant and the audio was really poor and so hadn’t shared. However, somebody else has posted the full thing with really decent audio….so here it is

HelloMabel
    Participant

Aw. That was brilliant – as usual. What a couple of gents – as usual! Thanks for for sharing, Ori!
    Anyone fancy an excursion to the Red Dwarf pub in Spain?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

The what now?

HelloMabel
    Participant

DJJ mentioned a pub in Grenada called the Red Dwarf! It’s about 16 minutes into the video. :)

Carlito
    Participant
    ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I want to find images of this bar now….Google image searches for Red Dwarf Bar finds various Red Dwarf pictures….noticably one of TORDFC Jo…

I did also uncover this….but suspect this probably isn’t the one Danny spoke about

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs33/f/2008/290/f/1/The_Red_Dwarf_Bar_by_lancea.jpg

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Okay….thanks to Carlito for actual pictures. I still think mine looked more fun though…
    :)

Carlito
    Participant

It’s called ‘Red Dwarf’ but I don’t think its based on the TV show.

More pics… I can’t remember anymore how to embed, so links ahoy…

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Lqgbpn5woZY/SkCX_KDN2oI/AAAAAAAAAzk/9zP9FL1yD6o/s400/EnanoRojo.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_szDhsOTyeDI/S3C7OB_8SgI/AAAAAAAAAeg/FsmYKt3R5rg/s400/enano+rojo.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3138/2800207503_051a07e84c.jpg

It’s a grungy rock bar next to a sex shop.

Jonsmad
    Participant

October. Is that speculation, or the latest info.

>Less impressive than I first envisioned…but I’m happy to have got to see this. I wonder if this is the extent of the Craig and Danny mechanoid make up job, or whether they put a bit more work into this after the picture was taken…

I doubt they spent too much time doing this as it seems it was just a bit of a piss about.

p2p_productions
    Participant

…So, when are we off?

And for those interested in a fair and balanced view on racism, do please check out this vid. http://youtu.be/piMqJ8hmgXM

Ridley
    Participant

Is that the “gingers have souls” kid?

p2p_productions
    Participant

Yep. TBH, I can’t tell whether it’s a comedy act, or just genuine psychosis.

Jo
    Participant

Google image searches for Red Dwarf Bar finds various Red Dwarf pictures….noticably one of TORDFC Jo…

Back when I was skinny!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.