Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Craig Bierko’s thoughts on Red Dwarf USA

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Stephen R. Fletcher
    Participant

A clip from ‘The Kevin Pollock Show’ with Craig Bierko as the guest, being asked at one point about the failed American Pilot –

I just found this short clip quite fascinating. I love how he has nothing but praise for the British version while expressing his disdain for the American version. At one point even mentioning that he felt John Belushi would’ve been an ideal American Lister – something Danny John-Jules also said in the Dwarfin’ USA docco.

I don’t think this has been posted here before and so far, I couldn’t find an existing forum topic on the American Pilot (where it would be better suited) or one with this video, so I apologize in advance if this needs to be locked.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

“Casting me was a huge mistake”- I disagree with that. I think Craig Bierko was one of the better things in RDUSA…

Ben Paddon
    Participant

He wasn’t a right fit for Lister, though.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I don’t know….I thought it could have worked okay with him in the role. It was their choice of a Rimmer that really ballsed it up for me

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Oh yes, their choices for Rimmer were appalling.

Don’t take my comment as besmirching of Bierko’s acting abilities. He’s a fine actor. He just wasn’t a right fit physically, as far as I’m concerned.

pfm
    Participant

> At one point even mentioning that he felt John Belushi would’ve been an ideal American Lister

Imagine Belushi as Lister, Dan Aykroyd as Rimmer (in pure Trading Places mode), Eddie Murphy as Cat…now that I would have liked to have seen! Though Dward didn’t even exist when Belushi died…

Phil
    Participant

>Imagine Belushi as Lister, Dan Aykroyd as Rimmer (in pure Trading Places mode), Eddie Murphy as Cat

We can pluck dream (re-)casts from Saturday Night Live alums?

In that case…

Lister – John Belushi
    Rimmer – Phil Hartman (he’d fucking NAIL the Ace scenes)
    Cat – Garrett Morris
    Holly – Jon Lovitz

Blisschick
    Participant

Phil Hartman as both Rimmer and Ace for the win! He would’ve nailed both. He *was* the Anal Retentive Chef.

(Apparently, NBC doesn’t care to share this gem with the world, so here’s a copy of the transcript, which doesn’t begin to do this bit justice.)

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/88/88panalchef.phtml

Stephen R. Fletcher
    Participant

Phil Hartman would be a great choice, in terms of dream casting, I agree. I’m not familiar with Garrett Morris but I quite like the idea of Jon Lovitz as Holly.

I think Craig Bierko did do quite a good job with what he was given in the end, the baseball card line alone still makes me laugh.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

There ae some cracking lines in RD USA, it’s just a shame they’re overwhelmed by the stiltedness of it.

pfm
    Participant

I’m still waiting for the Big Bang Theory cast to dress up as the Dwarfers. It MUST happen one day…

I reckon there would be more chance of Dwarf USA working now than there was all those years ago. So there…

srmcd1
    Participant

I always liked the idea of Colin Mochrie as Holly.

HelloMabel
    Participant

>I’m still waiting for the Big Bang Theory cast to dress up as the Dwarfers. It MUST happen one day…

Well, at least it got a mention in tonights ep. (Sheldon held up the complete dvd set box and invited Leonard to watch it with him. )

HelloMabel
    Participant

>I’m still waiting for the Big Bang Theory cast to dress up as the Dwarfers. It MUST happen one day…

Well, at least it got a mention in tonights ep. (Sheldon held up the complete dvd box set and invited Leonard to watch it with him. )

locusceruleus
    Participant

I’d go with Colin Mochrie as Holly, definitely. Jon Lovitz I’d see more as a Captain Hollister perhaps.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Weirdly enough, i reckon Craig Ferguson would make a good Hollister. Why does he have to look like Mac McDonald? Plus it would be a good way to connect US to UK Dwarf.

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

With Geoff Peterson as Todhunter! Hell yeah! /LowPercenter

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> I’d go with Colin Mochrie as Holly, definitely. Jon Lovitz I’d see more as a Captain Hollister perhaps.

I would go with Colin, but I’d be thinking of Norman.

What am I saying? He’ll never do it till he gets his ball back and we know it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.