Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Futurama! 26 New Episodes! Not Movies! Resurrected!

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

A friend has just linked me to this:

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/06/its-official-futurama-returns.html

FOX finally got the hint…

JamesTC
    Participant

This is a good day for TV news, first there is a very good possibility of My Name Is Earl returning and now Futurama IS returning, next Robert Llew will announce that Red Dwarf is back for an 8 episode series.

Oh and 26 fucking episodes! That is more than any season before isn’t it?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

it could well be 2 seasons of 13 eps, but who knows?

JamesTC
    Participant

Some American shows are shown in two blocks though, half of the episodes one half of the year and half of the episodes the next. I’m certain My Name Is Earl and South Park are aired that way.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I think that’s why our Season numbers in the UK don’t tally with the US ones.

Blisschick
    Participant

Network TV usually runs 21-23 eps, cable tends to break it up into two sets, one for the fall, one for the summer.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Fucking YES.

SkyAndSun
    Participant

Evil companies are turning good. First EA starts creating original IPs like Dead Space and supports Tim Schaffer’s latest game and now after resurrecting Family Guy Fox do the same to Futurama. What a pleasant surprise!

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

But… it’s going to be on Comedy Central.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Also: HURRAH!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

It’s not Fox responsible for Futurama’s return – it’s Comedy Central.

Some American shows are shown in two blocks though, half of the episodes one half of the year and half of the episodes the next. I?m certain My Name Is Earl and South Park are aired that way.

This isn’t the case anymore for Earl, which has been cancelled.

Sweet something of somewhere!

si
    Participant

Lovely.

J_Spaced
    Participant

I’ll take EIGHT!

JamesTC
    Participant

>This isn?t the case anymore for Earl, which has been cancelled.

And it is possibly getting picked up by cable network TNT or other cable network TNS.

pfm
    Participant

Who gives a fuck. The DVDs were shit, weren’t they? That’s the impression I got, even though I’ve not seen them.

littlesmegger
    Participant

I adore Futurama, and the straight to DVD films were very good, and have obviously sold well enough to generate 2 new seasons. I think Bender’s Big Score was one of the best stories the programme has ever told personally.

I knew it would come back properly at some point and give the now stale Simpsons a run for its money.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

It?s not Fox responsible for Futurama?s return – it?s Comedy Central.

It’s kind of Fox’s fault too, as they make shitloads from the DVD.

This is however, excellent news.

It is two seasons of 13 BTW.

JamesTC
    Participant

Well it is still more than when the films were being brought out, we had 1 film every 4 months if I remeber.

Dave
    Participant

>Who gives a fuck. The DVDs were shit, weren?t they? That?s the impression I got, even though I?ve not seen them.

Get a grip.

> I knew it would come back properly at some point and give the now stale Simpsons a run for its money.

Actually I think lately the Simpsons has been really good again. The one where Skinner takes the idiots of the school to Capital City was great.
    “It’s time for me to do something I should’ve done as a principal a long time ago – something!”

Ridley
    Participant

Anyone else heard this?

If anyone needs me, I?ll be in the Angry Dome

Andrew
    Participant

It’s a power play, part of the negotiations. I don’t buy them carrying on an already-once-cancelled, edge-of-financial-success show without the voice cast; they’d rather just dump it.

Same thing happened with The Simpsons a few years back. “Anyone can play Homer” became the headline…just so all parties knew hardball was being played on the financial deal.

JamesTC
    Participant

Oh well, I will still watch it, the main strength is in the writing but the characters just won’t seem like themselves without the original cast.

JamesTC
    Participant

Which thinking about it leads me to wonder why they don’t make a new show but set in the same universe, sort of like a spin-off. The New Adventures of Hypno Toad and Friends.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

a friend of mine who happens to be a voice actor was very hurriedly asked to record auditions for Kiff, Zapp, Fry and Zoidberg last night.

si
    Participant

*disappointed groan*

pfm
    Participant

Even if they audition people for real it doesn’t mean they won’t negotiate again with the original cast. West has been a bit of a dick in the past, it seems, in terms of kicking up a fuss about money and rights. Whatever, they might as well end the show if they lose him and the others. Fans will just boycott/hate the new episodes without them. Money will be lost, maybe even lives.

pfm
    Participant

Apparently this could all be a big joke/setup for what’s gonna happen at the Futurama Comic Con panel. Apparently… The cast are slated to appear and it’s supposed to be a ‘showdown’ deciding whether the show will be renewed or not. Sounds mental.

JamesTC
    Participant

Well as long as David X Coen is still there doing commentaries I will still buy the DVDs.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

That’s a rumour, monkey. And I put more stock in news than I do in rumours. That’s why I don’t read the Sun.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

You can read the sun?, you’re not even meant to look at it!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Squeaky Gibson
    Participant

Fingers crossed this was just a stunt, as Futurama with out the original voices would be like robbie rocket pants, with out the rockets

Phil
    Participant

Robbie Pants? I went to school with him.

peas_and_corn
    Participant

I went to school with the Hamburglar. We’d keep asking him why hamburgers don’t have ham in them, and he’d get confused.

Carlito
    Participant

It’s beef doing all the legwork, pork getting all the credit.

But pork and lamb, they’re the main two chops, aren’t they? Beef gets a burger, doesn’t get a chop. I don’t make the rules up, do I?

Dave
    Participant

Now I feel sorry for ham.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Ham Doctor.

Andrew
    Participant
    JamesTC
    Participant

Fuck yes. I was fucking sick of hearing twats going “I’m not going to watch it” when they obviously would if they are posting on a futurama fan site.

JamesTC
    Participant

Wait I read the next story and it says they are making a Futurama feature film, when was this announced?

Ben Paddon
    Participant

People say “I won’t watch it!” on Outpost Gallifrey all the time. Then they watch the show.

Carlito
    Participant

More importantly… according to AICN, the new “Seinfeld reunion” season of Curb Your Enthusiasm starts Sept 20. Good stuff.

Ridley
    Participant
    Squeaky Gibson
    Participant

*wipes tear from eye* it’s about time. the movies were nice, but can’t wait for the (hopefully) old style shows.

Ridley
    Participant
    karcreat
    Participant

This is GREAT News…but ONLY if they retain the original voice actors…should ‘impressionists’ be called in, I won’t have the slightest interest…

Still, hopeful it will be EXCELLENT!

-K

Ben Paddon
    Participant

karcreat there, posting from eleven months ago.

karcreat
    Participant

Ben there…posting the usual hate filled drivel from two minutes ago…

Yeah, that comment RE my comment TRULY was needed, wasn’t it, Captain Hatred?

Stay tuned, I have no doubt he will post more again VERY soon…

Ben Paddon
    Participant

No I won’t!

Oh, bugger.

Ridley
    Participant

SPOILERS etc.

twoepisodeswithfryultimatelygettingcheatedonisabithrm

Dave
    Participant

>twoepisodeswithfryultimatelygettingcheatedonisabithrm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HRM

Ridley
    Participant

Bi Thrm isn’t listed.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

So, for those who have seen the episode and those who have seen the episode before it has been properly broadcast in their country. What do we think of the new series so far?

Ridley
    Participant

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

redhead85
    Participant

I’ve definitely enjoyed the series so far. However, I’ve not really found it laugh out loud funny like the past series – I think they’re focusing a little too much on kooky storylines. You can tell they’re on a new channel with the whole focus shifting a little more to what they can get away with… ;-)

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I’m going to watch episode 4 tonight. I thought the first two episodes were mediocre but episode 3 was fab.

redhead85
    Participant

Episode 3 was great, a really clever idea, especially timed with the new iphone release.

Episode 4 was incredibly funny – LOTS of laugh out loud moments. This is much more like what I was after out of the series.

“I ALWAYS HATED JIM!”
    “You wouldn’t know peversion if it put clamps on your testicles!”

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Hermes: “We’ve got to legalize it!”
    Amy: “We’re talking about robosexual marriage!”
    Hermes: “We’re talking about lots of stuff!”

Fluffy Wok
    Participant

Robot Preacher: Can I get an Amen?!
    Robot Transvestite: I’d take a three men. Holler!

redhead85
    Participant

So – Futurama does a ‘Bodyswap’ homage this week… :-S Hmmm….

Ben Paddon
    Participant

After a very wobbly first few episodes, it’s good to see the show back in full swing.

redhead85
    Participant

I thought the first couple were a little ropey but then it’s definitely gone back to its old glory days – the odd moment even feels like the first series, with its very dry witty humour. This episode for me was less good though. And the FryasZoidburg/LeelaastheProfessor action was ARGHHHH! Wasn’t it billed as the scariest sex scene ever? hehehe

Ridley
    Participant

schler.

Season 6 continues ‘tonight’ in Americaland.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

WE HAVEN’T EVEN HAD THE FIRST HALF OVER HERE YET WAH.

John Hoare
    Participant

WE HAVEN’T EVEN HAD THE FIRST HALF OVER HERE YET WAH.

It’s one of the few US shows I bothered torrenting. In fact, the only other one is Friendship is Magic. So thanks for the reminder, Ridley!

Really liked some of the first half, but it does feel like it’s going downhill to me – even if Futurama going downhill is still excellent telly. The last episode – The Futurama Holiday Spectacular – felt like the weakest one yet.

Ridley
    Participant

“Thank God most of our fans are huge perverts!”

Ben Paddon
    Participant

“Neutopia” may be the single worst episode of Futurama I have ever seen. Disappointing.

Ridley
    Participant

“Neutopia” may be the single worst episode of Futurama I have ever seen. Disappointing.

It’s since been surpassed by Yo Leela Leela, right?

Like Law and Oracle alot but All The Presidents’ Heads is the Futurama I know. Loved it.

—-

Apparently Season 6 has been broadcasting on Sky 1 on Fridays since last week by the way.

—-

Oh and Season 7 has been confirmed or something.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Along with Bend Her as my least liked episodes of Futurama. Neutopia is too packed with ideas that it doesn’t have time to explore any of them in time, and before they’ve been established, they’re gone. When the episode ended I genuinely asked ‘ wow is that it?’ This new series has some absolutely cracking ideas and episodes, but some are treading on their own toes a bit. I don’t mind a bit of explorative character development (One of them I could mention, but would be a spoiler for those who havent’ seen the episodes yet), but some seem like filler episodes, which is a shame.

Ridley
    Participant

Oh and Season 7 has been confirmed or something.

That’s right, me, Season 7 started last night on American televisions. Also on computers.

JamesTC
    Participant

Both episodes aired on my computer an hour ago.

Rather good they were too. Preferred the first episode. Would dare say it is the best double episode season launch yet so it is a good omen for the rest of the season.

Stephen R. Fletcher
    Participant

That image alone really made me laugh. Just watched the first two eps and overall, I really liked them :o). Better than the first two episodes they started with last year anyway.

Phil
    Participant

>Along with Bend Her as my least liked episodes of Futurama.

I actually like Bend Her.

My least favorite is Spanish Fry or A Leela of Her Own. Then again I only saw the first half of season 6, and nothing since then. I…I…I…sorry.

Ridley
    Participant

Think before Season 6 turned up Where the Buggalo Roam was my least liked episode.

Phil
    Participant

Finally got around to the back half of season 6. Or…the front half of that back half.

So far I’d say Law & Oracle and The Silence of the Clamps are my favorites from this batch. All the Presidents’ Heads was good, but definitely felt like the weakest of their time travel stories so far.

Neutopia wasn’t as bad as I expected from the negative comments, but it was certainly messy, and I’m getting really sick of the “character who is about to resolve the plot getting shot from off-camera just before he does it” thing. Not that Futurama is the main culprit for running that one into the ground, but it feels pretty lazy by this point.

I’m still waiting for something on the level of The Late Philip J Fry, or Lethal Inspection from the front half…both of which are legitimately brilliant. So far the back half isn’t awful, but it’s a bit lacking.

Then again, I haven’t seen Yo Leela Leela yet.

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

I can’t believe the DVDs of the new series are taking so bloody long to come out. It’s as if they want you to pirate it.

JamesTC
    Participant

They are waiting until they have aired on Sky. Don’t understand why Sky are taking so long to air the new episodes.

Stephen R. Fletcher
    Participant

I think by this time last year Sky One had already aired Season 6A aswell. The 6B DVD was meant to be released in September but I just checked again and now it’s been pushed to March 2013. I wish Sky would just hurry up and air them already!

Phil
    Participant

I made it through the back half of 6, finally. Yo Leela Leela was weak, but not so bad. Not even my least favorite of the season.

Overall the back half was strong, I’d say. Nothing outright brilliant, but some solid stuff. Tip of the Zoidberg, Cold Warriors and Mobius-Dick were all flawed, but had enough great stuff in them — or behind them — to make elevate them over the front half.

I was happy with it, overall. Not thrilled, but happy. And I keep hearing that season 7 is much stronger, so I look forward to those very much.

Ridley
    Participant

Speaking of Bend Her, the same writer did another sport themed episode this week “The Butterjunk Effect” and I enjoyed it. Especially the ending.

Phil
    Participant

Tip of the Zoidberg is nominated for an Emmy. Now I wish even more that the final act wasn’t shit.

Somebody
    Participant

Comedy Central no longer interested in the sort of audience Futurama used to attract:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/22/futurama-not-renewed-comedy-central/

Stephen R. Fletcher
    Participant

I can honestly say this is the worst Monday ever :o( I am genuinely saddened by this. I hope this isn’t the definite end and it finds a new home again – either on Adult Swim or by some weird twist that most likely won’t happen, FOX wants it back.

Ridley
    Participant

Sigh. Just like The Simpsons.

locusceruleus
    Participant

Can’t say I’m surprised or too bothered. I loved the initial 5 seasons, didn’t think the straight-to-DVD movies were very good, and thought the season-and-a-half on Comedy Central so far was dreadful. It’s a lazy comparison, but the difference in quality is comparable to that of early vs. later Simpsons. So long as I can get a fix of John DiMaggio greatness from the sublime ‘Adventure Time’, I can’t see me missing Bender & co. too much. Guess I’ll give the last run a shot though.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Matt Groening reckons they “still have stories to tell”. I assume he thinks the same about The Simpsons so make of that what you will.

Phil
    Participant

I personally really liked the movies.

Well, some of them.

One of them.

Maybe.

But I agree the return seasons weren’t really up to snuff. There were a few great exceptions, and plenty of perfectly good episodes, but overall…yeah. I can’t really mourn it too much. Still miles better than The Simpsons and Family Guy are now, but what isn’t these days?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

How was it that Bender’s Big Score managed to be so, so much better than the other three movies?

Phil
    Participant

Good question. I’ll defend Bender’s Big Score to my grave. I don’t know that I’d waste much breath at all on the others. (Though they all had their moments, I’ll give them that much.)

Ridley
    Participant

Bit indifferent to Into The Wild Green Yonder (as amazing as Frida Waterfall is) but I was so happy when it came back and was still of a high quality so I was optimistic for Season 6. Then so much of it was underwhelming.

No idea if it’s justified but I do put the dip down to Fox not being around to no to things. Similar to their seemingly looking the other way with Family Guy after season 3.

And quite frankly, no Futurama finale will be as good as The Devil’s Hands Are Idle Playthings as interesting as Meanwhile sounds. As.

JamesTC
    Participant

Enjoyed all the movies. Though the Dungeons and Dragons one was the worst, largely because a lot of the references were completely lost on me.

Still need to catch up on the latest few episodes but I think it was a worthy return. Hell if all other episodes were complete shit, it still would have been worth it for just ‘The Late Phillip J. Fry’ which is one of the all time best episodes.

Hope it isn’t the end. Wonder if Netflix might be interested. What with them picking up another Fox produced show, Arrested Development.

Stephen R. Fletcher
    Participant

Hell if all other episodes were complete shit, it still would have been worth it for just ‘The Late Phillip J. Fry’ which is one of the all time best episodes.

Completely agree with that!

Ridley
    Participant

7B pretty good so far. The first two more so than the second. Weird to have two episodes in a row in which Fry gets ditched.

The swimming to the US and back to watch them is a bit tiring though.

Ahem.

Phil
    Participant

I haven’t seen them yet. Heard good things, but I never seem to catch it when it’s on.

Stephen R. Fletcher
    Participant

The latest one to air (The Inhuman Torch) is definitely my favourite of Season 7B so far. I can’t really explain why but there’s something about it that felt very… “Old School Futurama” to me. The first four episodes felt mostly underwhelming, and I’m hoping the rest of the episodes will be as good as this one.

I sort of have high hopes for one coming up that I believe Lewis Morton wrote, and he’s quite possibly my favourite Futurama writer.

Stephen R. Fletcher
    Participant

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/07/20/the-simpsons-futurama-crossover-epsidoe/

Umm… I’m not honestly sure how to feel about this. I felt the same way when I heard about The Simpsons/ Family Guy crossover, earlier this week.

Phil
    Participant

Cool. Can’t wait for the rest of the season, which involves crossovers with Bob’s Burgers, Archer, The Cleveland Show, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Allen Gregory, The Snorks, Kid Notorious, The Boondocks, Mission Hill and Sit Down Shut Up.

Have no fear, folks…they’ve got stories for years.

srmcd1
    Participant

Wasn’t there a Futurama / Simpsons comic book once? I have a dim memory of thumbing through it and being almost mildly impressed.

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.