Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum In Lemons, why couldn't they power the remote via Kryten?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Kryten must have an energy source, must be fairly trivial to transfer some of that power out of Kryten and into the remote for long enough for them to use it.

Just open up his finger, remove a couple of wires and put the remote on the same circuit powering Kryten

Dave
    Participant

Or Rimmer’s light bee. Which had enough juice to keep working for months, apparently.

cwickham
    Participant

The problem was that the remote was missing a battery. So even if they had been able to transfer power out of Kryten, it would have had nowhere to go. Also, Rimmer’s light bee was upgraded to be self-sustaining by Legion.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Just get a positive and a negative at a few volts from Kryten somewhere, something low powered, like his compact cassette player, and just strip the wires and put them on the terminals.

Yes, given that he was able to create a mobile hand-creature capable of conveying a message out of himself, I’m sure he’d be able to fashion an alternative to a 9V battery.

Hamish
    Participant

Kryten just really wanted to see India, okay?

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Kryten uses AC and the remote uses DC

Or something

bloodteller
    Blocked

kryten really wanted to spend more time with the others so he concocted a scenario where they’d have to spend 6 months walking around with each other. like a longer and more outdoors Duct Soup

cwickham
    Participant

How were they going to disassemble Kryten when they didn’t have any of the necessary tools?

flanl3
    Participant

Well if it took them that long to even think to take wires out of Kryten’s finger, I’d imagine they just didn’t think of it.

bloodteller
    Blocked

why didn’t kryten just use his isotope sample store he keeps in his arm

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Kryten has a skeleton key in his finger, is it outlandish to think he’s got a Phillips head in one of his other digits? Take his hand off, take the screwdriver and use it to steal his cassette deck like he’s a Vauxhall Nova on a council estate.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

>why didn’t kryten just use his isotope sample store he keeps in his arm
    Timewave is non canon

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Maybe that’s why Kryten has expanded, he’s a hoarder but he only hoards things he can keep samples of in his body.

>Timewave is non canon

We’re going to need 18 more years before this website’s consensus for that episode goes from hate to strong dislike

flanl3
    Participant

I’m never going to not hate Timewave. A sub-average 12-year-old could have written a better Red Dwarf episode about all their childish whining about PC. I wouldn’t say that about any other concept Red Dwarf has approached, nor has any concept Red Dwarf has tried ever been so fucking stupid.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I think there’s an interesting story to be told about a society that doesn’t allow for any sort of criticism, but “Timewave” is not it, and I don’t suspect that Doug Naylor is capable of writing it.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

The episode didn’t even end up making much of a point outside of “constructive criticism can be good” which i don’t think anybody can argue with. If it was supposed to be about PC gone mad it was a really shit attempt at it.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

They didn’t have the correct adapter plug. And it would invalidate Kryten’s warranty.

Flap Jack
    Participant

In Lemons, why couldn’t they power the remote with apples or something?

flanl3
    Participant

the plot

Flap Jack
    Participant

the plot

Well there you go. The only reply this thread needed.

What they should have done is just lived out their lives in Albion. Cat and Lister would die. Rimmer and Kryten would go on living. 2,000 years later the battery is invented. They use the remote to go back to Red Dwarf, then the rejuv-shower to return back to the point when they arrived and rescue Lister and Cat. The Kryten and Rimmer left behind live through 2000 years and go through that process etc ensuring there is always someone to save them

Job done.

Dave
    Participant

Because with Rimmer and Kryten endlessly going round and round in time, mechanical lifeforms can never truly be extinct.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.