Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Marleen’s NO SPOILERS Doctor Who Thread – Part II

Viewing 100 posts - 101 through 200 (of 269 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Gridlock remains one of my all time favourite episodes, mainly for The Doctor’s scenes at the start and end of the episodes regarding Gallifrey.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

> (Translation: It?s not your fault but? get your fingers off my Doctor)

*remembers Marleen’s response to Eccleston and chuckles*

Oh, and I’m very fond of the Judoon myself. They’re exactly what you might expect of galactic security guards.

TheLeen
    Participant

You’re right, it was only a matter of time. But I still love the two(ush) of them(ish) in two completely different ways.

TheLeen
    Participant

Just found this:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/2008/whatson/2707.shtml

And now I’m crying big wet tears of not-canning-to-go because it’s, like, this Sunday.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Oh i’d go to see that!!

TheLeen
    Participant

Yeah, I would. Except, I would’ve booked flights two months ago and arranged for crashing on someone’s floor. Although, as this is taking place mid-day, maybe I could fly home the same day. In any case, it’s too expensive now. EUR 270 for the flights (if booked today), per person.

TheLeen
    Participant

Episode 3×04 – Daleks in Manhattan
    Episode 3×05 – Evolution of the Daleks

Uhm… ?

What we liked:
    – Impatient pigslaves in the elevator.

What we no liked:
    – All the rest. I could make a more detailed list, but it would depress me further, and I’m already pissed off.
    – Okay, I’m gonna say one thing. “… and that makes them more dangerous than ever!” was NOT the impression WE had.
    – Grraaahhh.

Zombies:
    – Pigslaves
    – Messy-DNA-lightning-hybrid-or-something-disobedient zombies

Summary:
    – The episode went riiiiight down to the bottom of my “favourite” list. In hindsight, series one’s Slitheen episodes weren’t so bad.

ChrisM
    Participant

Those ‘American’ accents made me feel like wincing (particularly the dance girl) although cheesy stuff amuses me too. I’m perverse like that.

Good reconstruction of central park though. Not that I’ve go anything to base that on, having never been there but it looked good.

TheLeen
    Participant

Yeah.
    And I do fancy the 20s to 40s, roughly, all the film noir stuff, but it didn’t help. If anything, I feel even more cheated. 13 episodes in a series, and these two block valuable slots, and also, the setting’s been wasted.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Still remains my favourite Dalek episode of the new series. Yes, I know I’m in the minority.

I just found it to be the most atmospheric and the most like Dalek stories of old – particularly Pertwee era like Day of the Daleks.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Marleen, sorry to tell you that you’ve hit the really bumpy patch of series three – it’s going to be another couple of episodes before you reach the good stuff again. But when you hit the good stuff… well. You’ve got probably the best unbroken run of sheer brilliant episodes that New Who has to offer on the way… :-)

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Then it’ll go shit again.

TheLeen
    Participant

Such is life! Rain sunshine blah blah.

Funny, although I probably agree with most (not all) of that Lawrence Miles wrote here but deleted later (good read by the way, if you don’t try to carefully read around spoilers), I don’t really care if Who occasionally becomes slightly… bumpy.

Still love it.

But I’ve been accused of treating tv shows like people (and people like telly).

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Why was that deleted?

TheLeen
    Participant

Don’t know. Maybe because he figured he’d rather write Doctor Who episodes in the future than be rude and piss everyone off. Or… something.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

I say “shit”…it’s not the same as other shit. “Shit” Doctor Who is still wonderful. :)

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Maybe because he figured he?d rather write Doctor Who episodes in the future than be rude and piss everyone off. Or? something.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

No.

Lawrence Miles burned his bridges a long time ago. What happens is that he posts his blogs, leaves them up for a couple of weeks or so, and then deletes them. While he makes the occasional good point, the posts usually contain vast amounts of out-and-out libellous slagging off of other writers (he’s particularly obsessed with Moffat, whom he claims drove him to alcoholism, and Neil Gaiman, whom he has repeatedly accused of copping off with his fans), and there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of him EVER writing for the TV series. Not least because, while he’s an undeniably talented writer of novels, he posted a sample script online a little while back that his acolytes thought was brilliant, but which actually showed that he has very little in the way of understanding of how to construct a TV script. And his slagging off of all and sundry has actually become MORE pronounced recently, not less so.

Basically, he’s a sad, pathetic, bitter little man who happens to have written some very good tie-in novels, but thinks this entitles him to his belief that the show will only ever be any good if it’s made to his precise specifications and for his sole entertainment.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>?Shit? Doctor Who is still wonderful. :)

42 and The Doctor’s Daughter disagree with you.

TheLeen
    Participant

Thought so. Thanks for the summary!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Interesting. I liked The Moffat Times-Table and rather enjoyed reading that article. Didn’t agree with a lot of it though.

TheLeen
    Participant

Okay, I’ve read up on it now. Haha. It was, uh… gut-wrenchingly entertaining.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

I love 42! The only episodes I have difficulty watching now are Aliens of London / World War 3…and maybe Boom Town. Oh, and Fear Her.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

42 makes me want to cry. Midnight made its very existence completely pointless, anyway, as it does everything 42 was trying to do but WELL.

TheLeen
    Participant

I liked Boom Town.

And shhhh about 42, I’m watching it next weekend. ta :)

TheLeen
    Participant

Episode 3×06 – The Lazarus Experiment

We liked:
    – Doctor feeling flattered after being called a geek. Awww!
    – Doctor in the white box.
    – Doctor talking to Martha’s mum.

We liked not:
    – The organ bit was cheesy.
    – The monster did just not look right. (At least this time there was a reason why it would look earth-ish. But the face cg was crap.)
    – Running up the stairs in heels. What a great idea.
    – Using hyper-sonic sound waves for rejuvenation may or may not be “inspired”. Naming the dude “Lazarus” certainly wasn’t.

Martha:
    – Yeah, I get now what some people say about her acting. Could be worse though! I liked her family.

Zombies:
    – None. Hooray!

Random:
    – Last Friday, a man removed the glass from a lightbulb in his flat, then manipulated the gas pipes to create one flat-sized gas bomb (apparently he was expecting the police to turn up at his place). Neighbours smelled the gas and called the police, the firemen and the local gas supplier. The police, in fact, did turn up at his door, but luckily didn’t try to switch the lights on. All of this happened in my district here in Berlin, only a few streets away. They caught the man (well, suspect, as of now) only today in Hamburg. So. Watching that particular scene felt very, very strange anti… un… ex…. emersed (is that even a word) me. Hardly Doctor Who’s fault but it was not a nice feeling, that.

Series 3:
    – So what’s the story arc now: This Saxon guy? Elisabeth? Boe’s Face’s prophecy? I’m confused.

Overall impression:
    – I expected worse. The episode was certainly below average, but only because the average is so high, or otherwise it might’ve been just average. Anyway, seen worse.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Oh, I can’t wait until you get to episode eight… reading this thread got me thinking about it again today, and I got a big warm fuzzy feeling. I might have to watch it again soon. Looking at the Paul Cornell interview we did for NTS, I realised we didn’t ask him a single question about it – the Who stuff was mainly focused on Father’s Day – and that’s a shame, there’s plenty I would have liked to have brought up…

Jo
    Participant

Yeah I was having a look at the episode list – after this next episode it all gets awesome!! Watch more Who quick! :oP

Jo
    Participant

Oh I told Ian to comment on this…

Smog-eating crabs, fair enough. But after the spiders and rhinos, it would have been kinda nice to see creatures that don?t look like Earth?s fauna.

As he’d have explained it better than me, but as he’s rubbish and hasn’t bothered I’ll try my best!
    The Macra have been previously featured in classic Who – In 1967 they appeared with the Second Doctor. So it was quite a geeky, fanboy moment when they were revealed.
    Ian was *very* excited.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

And Jo was *quite* terrified by my reaction.

Phil
    Participant

>Looking at the Paul Cornell interview we did for NTS

Say whaaaat?

TheLeen
    Participant

Tried to talk Vin into watching some more Who tonight, but it looks like I have to wait for the weekend. :x

Thanks for the comments, advice, and bits of information :)

TheLeen
    Participant

Episode 3×07 – 42

About the episode:
    – It was a bit like the “Impossible Planet” two-parter, wasn’t it, but stripped of anything interesting?
    – The TARDIS was messed up. I really worry now, it looks like it’ll come apart any minute (after all the abuse!)… Doctor had better get the duct tape ready…
    – The ship was messed up. Who would put some pushbuttons on the outside of a spacecraft?
    – The science was messed up.
    – Apart from the happy primes. I admit I had to look those up, the happy numbers, because I couldn’t make any sense of what the Doctor said there, despite subtitles ,rewind and slow-mo – I just don’t have the mecessary English math slang handy. But anyway. Happy numbers, cool stuff.

About Martha:
    – Martha kicks ass. But… Vin finds her boring. And he has a point. He thinks she’s too similar to Rose. Of course she is someone else. But for example in this particular episode, it could’ve been Rose doing all the running and scfreaming and it would’ve been the same episode, essentially. When I asked him what he had in mind for a companion, he said, someone from the middleages or the future or an alien or someone with a nasty secret of their own, just, different! (And I’d like to point out that he knows less about Who than I do, nothing about classic Who in fact, and hasn’t read Lawrence Miles’ rants either.)

About zombies:
    – Sun zombies. That’s new!

– Series three arc: tightens and is actually interesting.

Overall impression:
    – I’d expected worse. Come on, it was too constructed, below-average and apart from the phone calls mostly irrelevant, but not outright shit. If that’s the lowest point of series three, it’s still happytime.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

You have no idea to the vast extent to which 42 *is* the low point of series 3. It’s all plain sailing now! Until… er, until series 4.

>…someone from the middleages or the future…

I’m gonna delurk for a moment to say that I think this would be awesome if it ever happened. It happened a couple of times in the classic series, for instance. I might even start downloadin–WATCHING it again for that. Also, I think Classic Who featured an alien assistant for a while, a guy named Vislor Turlough. (Haven’t seen anything featuring him yet, however.)

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Classic Who featured plenty of non-human companions. Off the top of my head: Susan, K-9, Romana, Adric, Nyssa, Turlough, Kamelion… and Astrid. Then you’ve got humans that are miles out of their home era, such as Leela, Jamie, Vicky, Steven… and Jack.

TheLeen
    Participant

Leela the savage girl *g*

Episode 3×08 – Human Nature
    Episode 3×09 – Family of Blood

Whilst I’m sitting here enjoying some almost-live Doctor Who music (the internet is a wonderful thing) (although being there would be so much better) I can just as well type up my and Vin’s impressions of series three’s way-into-the-series-two-parter. I’d been warned this would be good! And it was good!

The good:
    – Nice setup. You didn’t even wonder whether it made sense at all because you (that means I) was occupied with loving the setup. Vin’s comment, a minute into the episode: “See? It was all a dream! I knew it!!”
    – Oh look, it’s Paul Cornell, who I’d never heard of until two days ago.
    – David Tennant can act.
    – David Tennant knows how to make a sweet face.
    – The way the scarecrows moved.
    – Oh, with Harry Lloyd they did find themselves an actor there who can look quite, quite mad. (Loved the staring at first, but by the end it became a bit annoying to be honest.)
    – Tom Sangster is one cute little bugger. Eh heh heh.
    – The watch was nicely done. Even though it was just a prop and some sound effects, I could definitely feel the timelord. Very… dense… thing.
    – Loved his journal.
    – Loved the watch.
    – Can’t decide wich I loved more.
    – Epic ending, wasn’t it, with the Doctor punishing all four of them until the end of time. Not their fault he’d fallen in love. I’m scared now.

The bad:
    – The episode should’ve ended with Doctor and Martha leaving. The memorial stuff, well, it was a sentimental ending which is fair enough, but there’d also already been John Smith seeing his possible life as a human, which was also sentimental, and Baines’ monologue about the Doctor locking them away, which was epic, and I thought it was a bit much in the end. Or maybe it’s also because I don’t feel comfortable with the poppy stuff. We don’t have veterans, remeberance days or every-day patriotism as such in Germany, except I suppose in the context of football. Anyway…
    – Also, a bit of a waste of little Timmy there, they could’ve done so much more with that character, maybe in future episodes, and, well, hasn’t that been a bit ruined by the ending? Shame.

The miscellaneous:
    – Very evil of the writer to make the Doctor very human (look, he’s actually up for grabs) for an episode or two (oh no, sorry, he isn’t after all). Very hard on the fangirls. I’m glad I’m a bit older than 14, or it’d broken my heart to see this.
    – When the cliffhanger moment comes, I just say, like, “ooohhh grmmmmph cliffhanger, sorry honey, we’ll have to watch another episode right away.” I can do that. How do YOU cope? Having to wait a week for the resolution?

Martha:
    – Poor Martha.

The zombies:
    – Animated scarecrows, a classic.

The series three epic:
    – There wasn’t anything in the episode, was there?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>The series three epic:
    >- There wasn?t anything in the episode, was there?

Um….

TheLeen
    Participant

I missed it??!!

Andrew
    Participant

Don’t worry about it, Marleen – it’s not anything ‘missable’.

ChrisM
    Participant

Trying not to spoil anything…

Watch on. All will become clear.
    EDIT- Whoops Andrew beat me. (Now my post is superfluous.)

Jo
    Participant

You’ve got an awesome episode next – one of my favourites :o)
    Can’t wait to see what you think!

Dave
    Participant

Who would have thought all this vicarious whoing and froing would be so enjoyable?

TheLeen
    Participant

Episode 3×10 – Blink

Well, that was fun, wasn’t it!

What we liked:
    – The weeping angels
    – The nerdy stuff (DVD easter eggs, shorthand, internet…)
    – Well, the story was good, what with the transcript and all that.
    – Billie
    – Clever thing to include blinking… as the watcher automatically tries not to blink and realises how hard it is… it does raise the tension. Especially because when you’re scared, you really WANT to close your eyes.
    – For an episode with not much of the Doctor in it, it really was quite good.

Other stuff we noticed:
    – Ohhh, again folks that are nearly as old as the universe. Yawn. Why do they have to be?
    – Okay, the angels are facing each other now so they’re rendered immobile. But forever? Apparently, all it takes is the light to go out and there you go… (or someone else to stand in the middle) (oh wait – like they did)
    – Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey… meh.
    – Martha was rubbish in this. Oh, that sounds rude. Isn’t meant so rude. I just wish they’d given her something to do. Anything. At all.
    – So the angels already had the key?… How?
    – The very ending was OTT ;)

All in all…
    – Yeah, like I said, for an episode with not much of the Doctor in it; but how this can be the majority of viewers’ FAVOURITE EPISODE OF ALL TIMES I don’t understand (Vin neither). Maybe I’m old-fashioned. But I do like my bit of Doctor in Who. I wouldn’t rank it at the very top. Top third, probably.
    – I noticed that I’m, by now, having real trouble finding “the right spot” for episodes in my personal overall ranking. It’s very crowded up there. It becomes more difficult with each episode.

Next up: some titanic series finale. I’m looking forward to it!

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Well, it scared the bejesus out of a lot of viewers (me included) and had a seriously cute heroine, so that’s probably why it’s so popular. Also ‘Wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey’ kind of sums up the whole history of Doctor Who, so maybe you need to be a fan to appreciate that one.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

“some titanic series finale”

*snigger*

TheLeen
    Participant

Episode 3×11 – Utopia
    Episode 3×12 – The Sound of the Drums
    Episode 3×13 – Last of the Time Lords

Whoaaaa… !

We loved the following:
    – Jack is back!
    – Chantho was kinda cute.
    – From “Utopia”, the Master business… (although I don’t see why his DNA-hiding-thingy had to be a fobwatch…)
    – The Master, ooh he is quite, quite mad.
    – Gallifrey scenes. Spectacular.
    – You Are Not Alone
    – I stopped the DVD right when Jack said he grew up in Boe-something and discussed this with Vin. When we continued with the DVD, it was given away right 10 seconds into it. Haha. Lovely. Face of Boe stuff, we loved.
    – The Doctor and the Master, the whole forgiveness thing, the Doctor once again losing someone, ah, heartbreaking… well… in a good way. I’m selfish like that.
    – Epicness!

And these things we also quite liked:
    – Knew the Master would find a way to cheat. I thought he’d regenerate on the stake as soon as burnt up, but the ring’s fair enough, really. However, it MAKES one wonder why he used the obvious fobwatch in the first place.
    – Darth Maul amongst the savages :p
    – Turning the TARDIS into a paradox machine is better than no explanation, at least.
    – The spheres from the future.
    – The TARDIS trying to shake off Jack The Impossible. (But how come she didn’t mind him anymore later when the Doctor invited him to tag along?)
    – “Master is our friend” Hahahaha. And later the Gandalf reference.
    – So, the Doctor and the Master chose their nicknames. (Vin and I discussed that, too, and elaborated that we’re The Hamster and The Geek.)

Not so much maybe:
    – The savages from “Utopia”.
    – And the fact that they weren’t spoken of anymore during the second and third episode.
    – The Doctor macgyvering the giant rocket in a matter of seconds.
    – The Doctor becoming the glowing angelic saviour through the faith of every human. Hehe. Okay, I didn’t mind it THAT much.
    – It seems that I’ve listened to “This is Gallifrey” too much on youtube; I kept recognising the music in the background, almost always NOT while Gallifrey was on screen, so this distracted me a bit.

Random stuff Vin noticed:
    – UNIT, the American Torchwood… Vin thinks there might’ve been a mystery series called UNIT that wasn’t very good, I’ll have to check that out!

Overall impression:
    – When I watched the first few episodes of Who I was so happy about all the relations between the episodes, all the references back to stuff we’d already seen. Now my head’s spinning from it. You do have to memorise everything ever said, don’t you, because it could well be slapped into your face at some point later in time. Lovely!
    – It wasn’t as emotional as The Parting of the Ways (I still love The Ninth Doctor…) or even as the series two finale. But it sure was FUN TO WATCH. So I’d put it in my list, hm, somewhere pretty close to, but below, The Parting of the Ways. Vin says for him this was the best series finale so far. We loved it.
    – I’m all doctored up now and I must say, I’m almost a little glad I will have a break now until November. I will most likely change my mind about that soon (probably tomorrow morning in front of the telly when we won’t have any Who to watch with our breakfast).

> ?some titanic series finale?

Yeah, lol.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

– The savages from ?Utopia?.
    – And the fact that they weren?t spoken of anymore during the second and third episode.

That’s a frequent criticism of this finale, and it’s perfectly valid *if* you’re unaware of the original context. Yes, this is a big three-parter, but when it was first aired it was billed as a one-part story about the Futurekind, followed by the traditional two-part finale. The realisation that we were watching one continuous story, and the gradual confirmation that Derek Jacobi was The Master, was an integral part of the viewing experience, and it made the entire thing absolutely brilliant. To quote a friend who was watching it with me, Seb and Cappsy: “we’ve been sold a dummy, and I’m entirely happy with the price negotiated”.

The Futurekind were one huge MacGuffin – just a means to an end. Watching it all in one go and expecting one long three-part story could bugger this up a bit, and I can see why you’d be disappointed.

UNIT, the American Torchwood

Interesting that you got that impression! Obviously, there’s a lot of backstory you’re not aware of, so it didn’t even occur to me that anyone would draw that conclusion from their brief appearances here.

TheLeen
    Participant

> The Futurekind were one huge MacGuffin – just a means to an end. Watching it all in one go and expecting one long three-part story could bugger this up a bit, and I can see why you?d be disappointed.

That is brilliant! And I’m not disappointed as such, it’s okay really, under these circumstances I can completely accept them.

>> UNIT, the American Torchwood

> Interesting that you got that impression! Obviously, there?s a lot of backstory you?re not aware of, so it didn?t even occur to me that anyone would draw that conclusion from their brief appearances here.

Aha, so obviously we’re wrong.

TheLeen
    Participant

Actually, thinking about it now, how did I know that the finale was the entire three parts? That bothers me now.
    (This purity thing gets increasingly hard to keep up.)

TheLeen
    Participant

Right! So! Series four arrived! And thanks to Amazon’s low price guarantee, I saved a total of 0,01 GBP, too. My sister commented: “Grats. Don’t spend it all at once!” And that will be very, very hard to do.

Anyway, seen the christmas special this morning, “Voyage of the Damned”. Is anyone here still interested in “Likes/Dislikes”, cause otherwise I’ll just say: I liked it; slightly better than the other christmas specials too… or, hm, the same as The Runaway Bride probably. But the Doctor should really stop womanising. This part really anbnoyed me. Kylie: “Can I come?” Doctor: “Sure!” Old man: “Can I come?” Doctor: “Uhm… nah. I travel alone.”

Anyway, good fun, and I’ll be watching a lot more Who during the next weeks!

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

As time goes on the more and more I detest Voyage of the Damned. It seems to include every excess of RTD’s writing to the point where the whole thing ends up as white noise.

I’m still interested in your massive lists, by the way!

Andrew
    Participant

> I?m still interested in your massive lists, by the way!

Ditto and likewise!

I need to se VotD again. Haven’t seen it since broadcast, cos I like to save the specials, at least, for the arrival of the boxset. But as I’m a sucker for disaster movies, I imagine I’ll enjoy it just as much the second time around. Not the best cross-breeding of genres in Who, but good, knockabout fun for Christmas.

TheLeen
    Participant

Okay then,

what we liked:

– the beginning of the episode, even though they cheated with the life belt ;)
    – the future Titanic with its retro look
    – the setting, with people on earth terrified of christmas, and the Queen staying in London
    – and the Queen in her slippers.
    – the christmas angels fit the other christmas specials well
    – the earthonomicalist’s version of Christmas was FUNNY

What we didn’t like:

– the Sto people looking and behaving 100% human
    – why didn’t the Doctor beam down to the TARDIS and pulled the Titanic out of the orbit?
    – rather a lot of pathos that they really should have saved for the series finale
    – the Doctor going, “Oh, no, I travel alone. … At least until a pretty girl asks me out, like, tomorrow.” As mentioned above.

Stuff:

– although she’s like 40, Kylie really passes for mid-end 20s. Scary.
    – why oh why does the Doctor leave the TARDIS in places he’s guaranteed to lose her… and give his sonic screwdriver to other people? Will he never learn?

But still, I enjoyed it.

That’s all we can think of right now…

TheLeen
    Participant

Episode 4×01 – Partners in Crime

You know what I really like about Who? The sheer number of “what the fuck” moments. Even after three entire series, they still manage to wtf me.

What we liked

– Good beginning, in the cubicles.
    – The scene with the Doctor and Martha lip-reading was hilarious.
    – Donna was good. Really. Looking back, Martha was a bit of a bore. She was cute and everything, but Martha’s moaning is so much more entertaining.
    – Share my body fat with aliens so that they can have babies while I get healthier? Yes please! I’d like to godmother two or three of the little buggers. And I’m sure most overweight people would. Why didn’t they just ask, then?
    – Martha’s granddad was cute. I think old men in Who are always either supercute or supervillains.
    – Hatbox

What we didn’t like

– Why did the Doctor bin the sonic pen? Could’ve given it to Donna, or even keep it as a spare so he wouldn’t have to lend his to random redshirts anymore…

OMFG Observation

– TEH ROSE! Series arc surely?

All in all

As far as episodes with little fat blobs go (i.e. not-so-serious, slightly ridiculous plots) – this was really really good.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Martha?s granddad

I think you mean Donna’s, but yeah :-) Did you spot that he was the newsvendor guy from Voyage of the Damned? Backstory : Bernard Cribbins (the actor who plays him) was only meant to be in that one episode, and originally series four was going to feature her Dad (who appeared in the Runaway Bride) as the stargazing fella. But sadly he was very ill with cancer and after filming a few scenes, he had to quit – unfortunately he died shortly afterwards. A happy (if you can call it that) side-effect was that they called in Cribbins (who was in one of the Peter Cushing Who movies back in the ’60s) and decided to make his character from VOTD Donna’s granddad. And he ended up being, by quite a significant distance, the best thing about series four.

(well, actually, not by that much of a distance, because Julian Bleach ended up giving him a run for his money. But still.)

TheLeen
    Participant

> think you mean Donna?s,

Oh, right, sorry.
    Ahh! I think I even recognised him as the newsvendor and just didn’t think about it. Brilliant!

Although… sad bit of information at the same time.

Andrew
    Participant

> The scene with the Doctor and Martha lip-reading was hilarious.

See? SEE?! It’s not just me!

(I mean I really don’t like the episode, but I loved this bit.)

TheLeen
    Participant

> Martha

Donna! Donna! Donna! Argh.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>See? SEE?! It?s not just me!

I like that bit too, I’m just afraid of being shouted at.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

ALL THREE OF YOU ARE CATEGORICALLY WRONG.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

If Season 4 taught me anything, it’s that Catherine Tate is a good dramatic performer, but she’s still a weak comedy actress as she proved in Big Train, her shit-stain of a TV show and the “comic” bits such as the one above.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I agree with Pete, although I think she’s quite good in places in Big Train.

pfm
    Participant

The bit where she says ‘fat-handed twat’. RTD should have tried to shoehorn that into series 4.

TheLeen
    Participant

Episode 4×02 – The Fires of Pompeii

This will be incomplete because we watched last night already, but here we go…

What we liked:

– Wheeee, colourful costumes!
    – The modern family clich?s (were easy to please like that) and all the stuff with the house gods and everything
    – Positions!
    – Donna was okay
    – Good wtf moment when the other guy said “Gallifrey”
    Edit: and the Sybillines eyes-on-hands-thingie looked cool.

What we didn’t like:

– Maybe slightly too much modern language?
    – Maybe Donna was bickering a little too much?
    – Pyrovile, cheap name for a cheap monster.
    – Some stuff was too obvious (house gods joke in the end, the Doctor blowing up Vesuv)
    – Lazy plot resolution (in parts anyway; like, “oh by the way since the time’s up any minute now, there was a rift in time but it’s fixed now no more procognition thanks bye”)

What, uhm, puzzled us:

– The science seemed to be even more messed up than usual. Like… circuits carved out of marble. I’m pretty sure energy conversaion doesn’t work like that. Not even if the marble’s green. The slabs looked pretty though. I’d like one for me wall.
    – I didn’t like how they tried to explain how the TARDIS translation feature works, because it rises even more questions, the answer to which is: this doesn’t actually work at all.
    – I thought the TARDIS couldn’t be moved? How could the bloke sell it, then?

Didn’t think it was bad, just not excellent. Who has high pretty standards after all. I felt entertained :)

Ben Paddon
    Participant

The TARDIS can and has been moved on a number of occasions. Case in point: “The End Of The World” and “Army of Ghosts”/”Doomsday”.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Yes, I think one of the characteristics of the TARDIS’ chameleon circuit is that it also takes on the physical characteristics of what it’s disguised as.

ChrisM
    Participant

Yeah. I think the inside of the Tardis is essentially somewhere else, another dimension (hence the size disparity.) Although I suspect that’s an over simplification.

Dave
    Participant

>Not even if the marble?s green.

This made me laugh. I like to laugh.

Andrew
    Participant

Marleen! You missed Time Crash – the 8 minute ‘in-between’ episode on the first disc that fits…well, sort of after the last series and before Voyage of the Damned. More or less.

Anyway, I’m dying to know what you make of it!

TheLeen
    Participant

Ooooh, there was a mini episode? Damn. I’ll look it up, thanks for the hint!

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Yeah, you totally need to watch that.

Hey, you know what? It’s possible, just possible, that you’ll have caught up with us all by the time Christmas Day rolls around. At which point it’ll be time for these threads to retire! Shame, that, it’s been fun…

TheLeen
    Participant

We can keep it up – after all I’m still very virgin when it comes to old Who and my perspective is still very German. Not to mention lack of BBC access…

TheLeen
    Participant

4×03, Planet of the Ood

Good:

– Vincent liked the action and all the military stuff..
    – It was entertaining.
    – There were Ood.
    – He sneezed his brains out. We actually both shouted “Gesundheit!”

Not so good:

– Good for Doctor, Donna that they were at the right time, right place. Now they’re be in the Oods’ song forever. What about the guy who actually did all the work and infiltrated the company for 10 years?
    – Big brain swallowing the man looked stupid.
    – Other man becoming Ood… didn’t see the point.
    – They said the Ood lost their personalities and everything along with their stinky brains, yet when the big brain was free, it seemed they could just go back to being their normal Oody selves…
    – There were some incredibly bad lines, especially in the second half.

Was ok.

TheLeen
    Participant

Eps. 4 & 5, The Sontaran Stratagem & The Poison Sky

Good things:

– Good aliens. From the old series, yes? We liked them.
    – We like Donna’s family. Not as much as Rose’s, but they’re still nice.
    – Wunderkind’s supersect school for the gifted; and also himself (the character). Aww, tragic little geek.
    – The blank clone
    – Hey, side characters with names (like, Ross)! Liked them, too.
    – I really like it when characters from earlier series appear (seemingly) randomly; makes everything seem more real.
    – Donna was, again, good.

Bad things:

– When they actually fought, the Sontar weren’t as powerful as we thought they were going to be…
    – Martha’s clone was annoying.
    – Too many times an episode’s resolution involves the Doctor fusing two cables or pointing the sonic screwdriver at something.

Misc things:

– OMFG ROSE AGAIN! I am excited…
    – UNIT. They were mentioned in an earlier series 4 episode already I think. Well, what are they then, the Men in Black of Whoniverse? Not so different from Torchwood Institute…

I thought it was definitely more fun to watch than the other “early series two parters”.

Andrew
    Participant

> Good for Doctor, Donna that they were at the right time, right place. Now they?re be in the Oods? song forever. What about the guy who actually did all the work and infiltrated the company for 10 years?

I really like this ep – Pompeii and Ood are two of my all-time favourite non-Moffat/climax episodes – but watching it back this week I was horribly struck by how little the Doctor and Donna actually do in it. They really are just witnesses, and I didn’t notice at all on the first viewing.

> Good aliens. From the old series, yes?

Yep.

> UNIT. They were mentioned in an earlier series 4 episode already I think. Well, what are they then, the Men in Black of Whoniverse?

I keep saying this – that the show takes some vague audience understanding of UNIT for granted. This two-parter makes things clearer – even mentions the Doctor having worked for them – but I honestly think they needed a proper introduction. For the noobs.

Jo
    Participant

Marleen, did you get round to watching ‘Time Crash’ yet?

TheLeen
    Participant

Nope, not yet!

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster
    Tarka Dal
    Participant

Yep. Clearly it was those few seconds that it would take to type ‘doctor who time crash’ into youtube that’s prevented her ;-)

Andrew
    Participant

If only Marleen had access to some form of shiny round disc upon which could be stored the video content in question.

Curse you, sluggish development of technology! ;-)

TheLeen
    Participant

Of course, of course. But it’s still nice to be prompted. I like some tlc as much as the next girl :)

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Curse the fact I watch wrestling. TLC in my head now defaults as tables, ladders and chairs. Of course I’ve known one or two girls who like that kind of thing.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

TLC defaults as chasing waterfalls.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

or indeed The Living Channel, the old satellite lifestyle channel.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Not to be confused with TCC, former home of Batman and Earthworm Jim in the same era.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Or RAC, the breakdown company.

TheLeen
    Participant

Or WHO, the World Health Organisation…

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Look, when there are 6 new posts in this thread, and the last one is by Marleen herself, I expect there to be UPDATES. Stop messing around, people.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

[Shuffles feet]

Sorry, Seb.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I really mean that.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Yeah. I mean when you click on the ‘new dwarf’ comments it’s not like you find people having a completely off-topic discussion is it?

Jo
    Participant

*you’re* an off-topic discussion

TheLeen
    Participant

http://www.gooogIe.co.uk/?gid=320600&hl=en&meta=o&q=you\\\’re%20an%20off-topic%20discussion

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> *you?re* an off-topic discussion

No capital letter. No full stop.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> No capital letter. No full stop.

Shh everyone, Karl’s trying to make a point…

Tarka Dal
    Participant

You don’t like me, do you?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

If I didn’t do you think I’d have let you do everything you did to my bottom the other week?

Tarka Dal
    Participant

After you with the “No comment” sir.

TheLeen
    Participant

What’s wrong with youtube lately? It told me I was in the wrong country to watch Doctor Who. I nearly had to go and get the DVD!

Time Crash

– Hahaha, did he just say “desktop theme?”
    – Hahaha, he just said “fan”.
    – Hahaha, the high five!
    – “You’re my Doctor.” Awwwwwww, how sweet is that.
    – Actually I like nearly all of the dialogue. Like “Back to long ago!”
    – Best mini episode so far. Made me laugh a lot.
    – The only thing I didn’t like was the timeloop. Is that supposed to happen in Doctor Who’s universe? I know it was done before (Blink) but it still bothers me. Ah, but only a little. ;) Oh, the other only thing I didn’t like was the “timey wimey wibbly wobbly” line.

Concerning the old Doctors.

I know the first one is the old, black and white guy. And the 8th is the one that look fantastic in screenshots of an apparently rubbish film but he made up for it by being awesome in novels. And between those two are a number of guys with funny suits. And they’re all the same funny-suit-Doctor to me. And while, by now, I recognise a name as a Doctor’s actor’s one when I read it, I never know who’s who ;)

I’m reading “The Forgotten” right now, and it helps a bit, but it’s also cheating because maybe I really should watch some old Who instead to get a grip of who’s who.

This was my first on-screen encounter with a pre-9th Doctor (apart from that episode with the first Doctor I saw on youtube). I’m kind of glad these things are possible although former Doctors’ actors have (of course) grown older. The one in the special (the fifth one, with the cricket ball, as I know now ;)) looked a lot younger in the comic.

My best friend gave me a “best of Dalek” DVD for christmas though (we celebrated early cause we’re not going to see each other until next year). Looking forward to seeing what’s on it. But I already like it because it has a nice shimmering metal effect on the outside. I’m so easy to please. :)

Andrew
    Participant

And so we open up the ‘What old Who should Marleen be watching once she’s done with series four?’ question.

ONE story per person, please, or we’ll blow her frightened German mind…

Viewing 100 posts - 101 through 200 (of 269 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.