Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Marleen’s NO SPOILERS ‘Recommend Me Old Who’ Thread.

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

At the suggestion of Arlene… I predict this will get quite big.

> And yehh. If I’m going to see one iconic Who story from each Doctor’s era, I’d like to see them in chronological order.

What the hell, I’ll put my vote in for every Doctor…

1. William Hartnell – The Daleks. Second ever story and pretty much the reason Doctor Who is massive.

2. Patrick Troughton – Tomb of the Cybermen. Passive racism aside, this is an absolutely cracking and genuinely scary story. Fun fact: Troughton actually considered blacking up for the role of The Doctor. The 60s, there.

3. Jon Pertwee – Spearhead from Space (not seen a whole lot of 3rd Doctor stories, but this is his first and also the first story to feature The Autons!)

4. Tom Baker – Genesis of the Daleks. Or City of Death. Or Talons of Weng Chiang. or… well, he was in the role for 7 years so it might be a good idea to pick more than one of his stories

5. Peter Davison – Caves of Androzani. An utterly brilliant last story for Doc 5, and featuring one of my favourite endings.

6. Colin Baker – Revelation of the Daleks. As loath as I am to pick another Dalek story (and such a comparatively awful one, at that) this is honestly the best from Colin’s era. Great Doctor, shit stories. Shame.

7. Sylvester McCoy – Remembrance of the Daleks. One of my favourite stories ever. I love Sylvester as The Doctor and Ace makes me feel funny in my tummy.

Phil
    Participant

>Fun fact: Troughton actually considered blacking up for the role of The Doctor. The 60s, there.

In preparation for his turn as the Doctor, Paterson Joseph started blacking up in 1964.

si
    Participant

Okay…

First Doctor: ‘Edge Of Destruction’. Not got a lot of William Hartnell, but really enjoyed this early two parter. Avoid ‘The Gunfighters’ at all costs – awful.

Second Doctor: Of the few I’ve actually seen, I’d probably say ‘The Invasion’. The animated episodes work really well.

Third Doctor: Not a big Pertwee fan, but ‘Carnival of Monsters’ isn’t bad.

Fourth Doctor: Already suggested ‘Pyramids of Mars’ (My first Classic Who DVD purchase), but aside from the obvious classics (‘Genesis…’ and ‘Talons…’), ‘The Ark in Space’ is good. And so is ‘Horror of Fang Rock’. Oh, there’s just too many.

Fifth Doctor: ‘…Androzani”s already gone, so I’ll go for ‘Earthshock’, despite Beryl Reid.

Sixth Doctor: ‘Vengeance On Varos’. A great baddie in Sil, and originally broadcast on my 6th birthday.

Seventh Doctor: This is most difficult. I remember watching Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred as a kid more than anything else, but don’t have any specific memories of episodes. Of the stories currently available on DVD, ‘Ghost Light’ is a bit confusing, and ‘The Curse of Fenric’ isn’t as good as others make out. As ‘Remembrance…’ has gone, I’ll go for ‘Survival’. Though I’m looking forward to ‘Battlefield’ coming out at the end of the month…

Well that’s my one (*ahem*) story per Doctor…

TheLeen
    Participant

> Fifth Doctor: ??Androzani?s already gone, so I?ll go for ?Earthshock?, despite Beryl Reid.

You know, you don’t have to recommend me as many as possible… ;)

Andrew
    Participant

See? This is why I said one recommendation each. If ten people make seven each…it’s exhausting!

Still, the group will likely settle on the best story or two from each regeneration in the end.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Yeah, let’s try and get a consensus of one (or maybe two in special circumstances. I think Daleks + An Unearthly Child for the first doctor, as the first story is as essential as any) so we’re not overloading Marleen too much!

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> See? This is why I said one recommendation each.

Well, that was my intention!

TheLeen
    Participant

The 1-2 most favourite essential stories of each era would be nice :D

Oh, I’m looking forward to this… I just hope I’ll be able to get my hands on all of them. But I actually have to stop buying everything on the internet… I’ve really pushed my budget this year.

Andrew
    Participant

> > See? This is why I said one recommendation each.

> Well, that was my intention!

I meant one old Who story per person, not one story per Doctor!

ChrisM
    Participant

So a voting system then?

I’m seconding Doctor 4: City of Death, then. I’m not sure it’s a typical Tom Baker tale (if that’s what you’re after) but it’s a good one.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Baker T has to be Genesis of the Daleks. No question.

si
    Participant

I started going after stories that rated highly in Mark Campbell’s Pocket Essential Doctor Who episode guide, which I bought in 2003. I stopped trusing him after he gave The Gunfighters 5/5, and I bought the vid on that recommendation.
    In that 40th anniversary edition, his introduction also said that the series was ‘dead’, and would not be returning any time in the forseeable future. Funnily enough, he also mentioned Queer as Folk, which was, of course, written by…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> I meant one old Who story per person, not one story per Doctor!

Yes… THAT was my intention! Surely the best way to do such a thing is everyone to vote to get a final list?

Andrew
    Participant

> Yes? THAT was my intention! Surely the best way to do such a thing is everyone to vote to get a final list?

Ah! Sorry the suggesting of seven stories threw me! :-)

> Baker T has to be Genesis of the Daleks. No question.

I question this.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Ah! Sorry the suggesting of seven stories threw me! :-)

Well, we may as well get a comprehensive list ;)

Dave
    Participant

Maybe Marleen should avoid this thread until we’ve reached a consensus and decided on her viewing schedule:

1 – The Time Meddler
    2 – The Tomb Of The Cybermen
    3 – Spearhead From Space
    4 – City Of Death
    5 – The Five Doctors
    6 – Revelation Of The Daleks
    7 – The Curse Of Fenric
    8 – The TV Movie is worth watching once

Mnoooah
    Participant

I have seen about 60 seconds of Old Who on YouTube, last year. On googling, it proves to have been City of Death. it made enough of a lasting impression though, for me to regard it as prime Who.

hummingbird
    Participant

I thoroughly approve of this thread. Great idea

TheLeen
    Participant

Is there a consensus yet?

Or do I have to watch Torchwood next? :D

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Anything but that…

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Actually, on second thoughts; watch the first episode, assume it will fufill this potential & evolve into a great show, but never actually watch another episode.

TheLeen
    Participant

I’ve already done that bit. Seen the first one, bought the DVD box, looking forward to getting disappointed :)

ChrisM
    Participant

>I?ve already done that bit. Seen the first one, bought the DVD box, looking forward to getting disappointed :)

To be fair I didn’t think it was that bad. It’s ok, enjoyable even, but it could be a LOT better, but there is certainly potential. A potential that should have been realized by now… but… anyway….

I’m quite looking forward to next year’s (not long now) series*. I’m hoping that since they’ve got a multi-part story that we’ll have a decent story to dig our teeth into.

*I think they’re classing it as a mini series as it is shorter than the usual run. But since 6 episodes is pretty common for British drama… ?

si
    Participant

Series two of Torchwood was a hell of a lot better than the first. Series three is, I believe, five episodes, showing Monday through Friday in a 9pm slot. Don’t know when, exactly.

Going back to Who, I bought myself The Dalek Invasion of Earth, Lost in Time, and Planet of Evil on Boxing Day, none of which I’ve managed to watch yet. Ho hum.

Dave
    Participant

I’m off to the shops to buy Battlefield now

si
    Participant

Got back home to find my Battlefield DVD waiting for me today. Had a quick neb – not found any easter eggs yet. The Season 26 trailer is well naff.

si
    Participant

Currently halfway through watching the Special Edition on Disc Two. It’s…not fantastic, but it’ll do.

EDIT: Watched it all. The dark haired one had a bad hand in maniacal laughter. There was a couple of amusing fights. Angela Bruce’s hair looked ridiculous. But..

si
    Participant

Also, it showed that Sophie Aldred had a quite remarkable arse back in the day.

JamesTC
    Participant

‘Battlefield’ is on order for me, I tried and tried getting it from WhSmiths and ASDAs but lo luck. Now I have to wait till tommorow atleast.
    I think ‘Genesis of the Daleks’ and ‘Trial of a Time Lord’ should be put in that list, two of the best stories. I would also mention Big Finish Audios but I wouldn’t want to overflow Marleen (If you are interested ‘Jubilee’ and ‘Medicinal Purposes’ are brilliant)

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Trial Of A Time Lord is, in fact, four stories making up one big one. It’s pretty despicable at times, but I enjoyed it overall.

I just ordered Battlefield. I have some very, very vague memories of having seen it when I was a lot younger – was 3 and a half years old when it first aired – but I don’t remember enough of it to know what it’s about.

JamesTC
    Participant

‘Trial of a Time Lord’ has one title, I am in the school that consierd it one story, I thought it was near perfect, perfect Doctor, perfect enemy and some money put into it (seemingly, they must have saved loads by using the same set through most of it). If you have seen the DVD too you will know it has better extras than even Red Dwarf DVDs! Even The Bodysnatcher Boxset!

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

The Restoration team certainly do a brilliant and ridiculously consistent job.

I’m *very* interested in your opinion of Trial, though! There are few people who are such big fans of Colin, let alone his most derided season!

JamesTC
    Participant

He is my favourite Doctor, MR McGann is in second. If you have listened to BFA you will understand why Colin is my favourite, he is regularly voted number 1 out of the 4 BFA Doctors in polls. Couldn’t recommend BFAs more, 10 times as good as the new series, 2 times as good as the classic series.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Oh, I am fully aware of the Big Finish and the greatness of Baker C., it’s just you don’t often see your type around so I thought I’d poke you a bit to see if you were real :)

Welcome to G&T, by the way.

JamesTC
    Participant

Thanks, good to see another Colin fan.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

As great as Colin is, however, I’m afraid I can’t agree about Trial. In fact, I don’t believe the poor bugger had a single good story written for him.

JamesTC
    Participant

‘Vengeance on Varos’, ‘The Two Doctors’ and ‘Revelation of the Daleks’ were all great if you ask me though I know not alot of people agree with me, infact season 22 is my favourite in the entire run of the show, the only stories from his era I really didn’t like were ‘Mark of the Rani’ and ‘The Twin Dilema’.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Ooh, The Two Doctors. Totally forgot about that one! Yes, I like that story a lot. I have very strong and unpleasant feelings towards Revelation of the Daleks specially, though…

JamesTC
    Participant

I understand why you might not like ‘Revelation of the Daleks’, it was written by a guy who hated Colin.

Andrew
    Participant

I like Revelation a lot. But I really didn’t gel with The Two Doctors at all, sadly.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> Thanks, good to see another Colin fan.

Someone else tell him. I’ve got gussets to scrub.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Ignore what Cappsy says about Revelation, he’s WRONG.

Battlefield, meanwhile, is great. Also quite amused to discover from the recent DWM “In Their Own Words” special that Angela Bruce and the bloke who played Ancelyn were shagging. And indeed that Sophie Aldred (and her quite remarkable arse) seem to have got around quite a bit, as well.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Andrew and I agree on something, finally – I didn’t get on with The Two Doctors either. I like the idea of the hypothetical “Season 6B” but I didn’t like the idea of… well, of everything else.

JamesTC
    Participant

I liked the dark comedy of ‘The Two Doctors’ as well as my third favourite Doctor and favourite Doctor working with my two favourite companions to fight somthing Who is a staple for, a terrible costumed monster (Sontaran).

Tarka Dal
    Participant

I feel we need to see some evidence of Ace’s arse-tastic merits.

JamesTC
    Participant

Possibly a DVD extra on ‘Dragonfire’? Ace’s top ten arse-tastic moments.

JamesTC
    Participant

Merlin?!
    I’m really enjoying ‘Battlefield’, near the end now, it is up to the quality of the other 3 season 26 stories certainly!

JamesTC
    Participant

‘Planet of the Daleks’ has been recolourised using that new dot chrome reconsturction, it will be released in 2009, this is the schedule up to about september as confirmed in DWM –
    E-Space Trilogy
    The Rescue / The Romans
    Attack Of The Cybermen
    Delta and the Bannermen
    Image of the Fendahl
    The Deadly Assassin
    Dalek War box set: Frontier in Space / Planet of the Daleks
    The War Games

The best set of stories yet, this will probably be the best year for DVD releases still no Davison story in sight though 3 or 4 more stories to release in 2009 after those.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Delta and the Bannermen if it’s the one I think it is, is utter shash.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

God, yes. One of the worst examples of the 80s excesses of JNT.

But, yeah, that’s a cracking list all the same. The War Games is utterly brilliant, if a little artificially lengthened.

JamesTC
    Participant

You could probably swap any episode from 2-9 around and it wouldn’t change too much but I have to say episode 10 was just brilliant besides it is great to get another Troughton. I was hoping for more Pertywee though, he has 13 stories after ‘Frontier in Space’/’Planet of the Daleks’, that is 13 stories spread over 3 years, 4 for one year and five for another, I think the next Pertwee’s we will see will be the liked of ‘The Daemons’ and ‘Invasion of the Dinosaurs’ though, they can benefit from dot chrome reconstruction which was used for ‘Planet of the Daleks’, shame they didn’t realise before ‘Doctor Who and the Silurians’ was released, that would have a better picture using dot chrome restoration then the use of NTSC tapes.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

D&TB is one of those examples, though, of a McCoy story where you can see what they were *trying* to do, it just didn’t really come off. It’s no Happiness Patrol or Remembrance, but at least it’s no Silver Nemesis either.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Ah it turns out D&TB isn’t the one I’m thinking of then. What’s Baker.T’s 2nd Davros tale?

Dave
    Participant

>What?s Baker.T?s 2nd Davros tale?

Davros And The Battymen

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Density of the Daleks.

They’re pretty dense.

Somebody
    Participant

SoundableObject:
    I think the next Pertwee?s we will see will be the liked of ?The Daemons? and ?Invasion of the Dinosaurs? though, they can benefit from dot chrome reconstruction which was used for ?Planet of the Daleks?, shame they didn?t realise before ?Doctor Who and the Silurians? was released, that would have a better picture using dot chrome restoration then the use of NTSC tapes.

Not necessarily:
    1) Not all B&W film recordings HAVE the chroma dots to start with. They were meant to be stripped out during recording, and on some recordings (like Mind of Evil pt 1), they actually were.
    2) Even where they exist, they aren’t necessarily clear enough to recover the colour
    3) Even when you CAN recover colour, that doesn’t mean that the resulting colour will be stable and broadcast-quality.

The Planet of the Daleks recolourisation is a blend of from-scratch computer colouring (done before they got the chroma-dot process working) and the chroma-dot recovery. If you look at the official article on it – http://www.purpleville.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rtwebsite/DalekWarDVD.htm – you’ll notice some of the problems with the colour on the chroma-dot-only pictures (the middle ones – notice the heavy rainbow-patterning on Jo’s hair and jumper in the first set of pictures), and that they say “the CR colour was unstable and noisy”.

JamesTC
    Participant

DWO confirmed ‘The Keys of Marinus’ for 2009 release, 2|E are being really open about released this year! Not that I’m complaining, I love knowing what is to come.

TheLeen
    Participant

Keep ’em coming!

si
    Participant

I’m looking forward to The War Games later this year.

JamesTC
    Participant

Me too, a triple disc set! Though I am most looking forward to the colourised ‘Planet of the Daleks’, I love all the restoration features and that has one about the colourisation!

si
    Participant

Well, with my birthday money/Karl’s HMV gift card, finally got round to buying the Beneath The Surface boxset. Nice.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Ooh, I’ve just started on that boxset (also bought with vouchers) as I’ve not seen any of those stories. Currently *loving* Doctor Who and the Silurians but I worry about Warriors of the Deep, as even its DVD leaflet is negative about it.

JamesTC
    Participant

‘The Sea Devils’ is wonderful, the best Pertwee story by far. ‘Warriors of the Deep’ is not as bad as is said but it is not a classic, the costume for Silurians and Sea Devils are great and well I won’t spoil it, Peter is good in it.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Peter’s good in everything, I can always rely on that.

JamesTC
    Participant

Just got ‘The E-Space’ trilogy. A whole three stories with Lalla, yum!

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I’ve just finished off ‘… And The Silurians’. Brilliant story. Got The Sea Devils next! Master-tastic!

JamesTC
    Participant

Enjoy ‘The Sea Devils’, it is easily my favourite Master story. The Sea Devils are a fantastic villain too, far better than the Silurians if you ask me. Now to ‘State of Decay’!

JamesTC
    Participant

I’m currently watching continuitys for ‘Warriors Gate’ and one of them is si’s current picture, it is advertising tele-text subtitles for the story with a Dalek next to it, why on earth is a Dalek there?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

THIS JUST IN: My favourite Doctor Who logo is the one introduced in 1970 for Pertwee before the 1974 redesign. I’m pleased the Movie and the DVDs use the same one.

That is all.

Dave
    Participant

THIS JUST IN: I like McCoy’s Doctor Who logo.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> THIS JUST IN: I like McCoy?s Doctor Who logo.

You sick bastard.

JamesTC
    Participant

Either the Baker-Davison-Baker logo or the Pertwee and McGann logo for me. I didn’t mind the McCoy logo, well when compared to the Eccleston-Tennant one.

Dave
    Participant

>the Eccleston-Tennant one

I remember not knowing what make of it when I first saw it, but I like how it takes the emphasis off the word WHO

JamesTC
    Participant

Zagreus sits inside your head
    Zagreus lives among the dead
    Zagreus sees you in your bed
    And eats you when you’re sleeping

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>THIS JUST IN: I like McCoy?s Doctor Who logo.

ME TOO.

But like a lot of things to do with McCoy, that’s probably partly to do with it being “the one” when I was a kid. In primary school I probably spent countless hours drawing that logo…

JamesTC
    Participant

I listened to the BFA ‘Colditz’ with McCoy the other day, one good thing about it is David Tennant playing a Nazi, every time he talks in the future I will hear that accent.
    If only they could get David on audio, maybe in a few years…

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

If only they could get David on audio, maybe in a few years?

erm..

http://www.audiobookscorner.com/list.aspx?narrator=David%20Tennant

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

If only they could get David on audio, maybe in a few years?

Big Finish have only got the license to cover stuff from 1963-1996.

JamesTC
    Participant

>Big Finish have only got the license to cover stuff from 1963-1996.
    I know! In a few years they may be able to get the license for new series stuff though, I hope.

>erm.. http://www.audiobookscorner.com/list.aspx?narrator=David%20Tennant
    BFA! Full cast audio not reading out of a book, though I think David’s immpression of Billie is realy funny.

Dave
    Participant

>>Big Finish have only got the license to cover stuff from 1963-1996.
    >I know! In a few years they may be able to get the license for new series stuff though, I hope

It would be great but the BBC isn’t going to give anything away, bracing for another RTD-related tirade but Big Finish only retained their licence because RTD insisted on it.

It was up for renewal around 2004/2005 and the Beeb were ready to pull the plug when they knew they had shiny new telly on the way, they didn’t want Doctor Who particularly, they wanted RTD. So he could ask for all sorts, he had Big Finish’s autonomy stipulated in various contracts and the licences separated, the very fact that McGann is their cutoff is the reason they are still going.

But I’m sure you still hate RTD.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

No, Dave, you’re wrong. RTD is a big fat gay who has destroyed my childhood and ruined everything to do with Doctor Who.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I’m sick of THE GAY AGENDA?.

JamesTC
    Participant

I don’t like RTD as a person (though this raises what I think of him by a mile) but he is a good script writer (unless he goes for epic epicness finales or Christmas specials).
    Episodes like ‘New Earth’, ‘Smith and Jones’ and ‘Partners in Crime’ are wonderful series openers which RTD writes fantastic, I have already said this on IMDB that I wouldn’t mind if RTD wrote the opener every year, he always does them well, series finales on the other hand, well I won’t get into that.

Andrew
    Participant

> I don?t like RTD as a person

You don’t KNOW RTD as a person.

Ridley
    Participant

6. Colin Baker – Revelation of the Daleks. As loath as I am to pick another Dalek story (and such a comparatively awful one, at that) this is honestly the best from Colin?s era.

Really? I was going to ask if there were any better ones because I’m having trouble wanting to sit through RotD’s second half.

JamesTC
    Participant

>> I don?t like RTD as a person
    >You don?t KNOW RTD as a person.

From what I have seen in Confidential he comes across as a funny guy, witty, but I just think he is mean with certain comments, he compared fans criticize his stories on the internet to mosquitoes (may have been another insect), I just found that comment completely out of line and it doesn’t make me think highly of him, a few other comments about people on online message boards have been said, the people who mock him as a person are wrong but that is just a vocal minority. I give credit were credut is due and I slaughter episodes which deserve it atleast in my opinion, what is wrong with that I don’t know but RTD seems to think me saying why I don’t like a story makes me a mosquitoe.

JamesTC
    Participant

>>6. Colin Baker – Revelation of the Daleks. As loath as I am to pick another Dalek story (and such a comparatively awful one, at that) this is honestly the best from Colin?s era.

>Really? I was going to ask if there were any better ones because I?m having trouble wanting to sit through RotD?s second half.

Well why not try a Big Finish Audio, why not ‘Medicinal Purposes’? That story is fantastic with the added bonus of David Tennant in it playing a mentally challanged guy called Jaime. “Jaime and the Doctor, Jaime and the Doctor!”.

It is certainly the best performance of both Colin Baker and David Tennant, their scenes together are a delight too because we have the hindsight to know that Tennant is the Doctor!

Ridley
    Participant

I don’t like audio dramas. ;)

JamesTC
    Participant

>I don?t like audio dramas. ;)

Before Big Finish Audio I had never heard audio dramas, I’m glad I took the chance and got ‘Spare Parts’, ‘Jubilee’, ‘Something Inside’ and ‘The One Doctor’, one of the best decisions ever!

Andrew
    Participant

> but I just think he is mean with certain comments

Internet fans: they can dish it out, but they sure can’t take it.

All you mean is “I don’t like that he doesn’t think me and my friends are right when we criticise him”.

But how is a professional meant to function when 99% of what’s written on the internet by fans IS crap? Smile and nod and say they’re all providing valuable input? You can argue that it’s impolitic to dismiss publicly. Or you can argue that without that ability to reject a writer becomes utterly stymied – and expressing it at least makes him candid and recognisably human rather than a corporate suit showrunner.

You don’t have a problem with the guy as a person, because you don’t know how he treats people, what kind of company he is, or how kind he is to animals. You dislike one thing, one judgement call and his mode of expressing it, based on a few for-public interviews. It’s ridiculous to summarise about his entire character.

As for mosquitos – anyone who posts a whinge about the show’s ‘gay agenda’ deserves to be swatted.

JamesTC
    Participant

>Internet fans: they can dish it out, but they sure can?t take it.

I can take it, I’m not here smashing my key board going “I hate RTD” because I don’t.

>All you mean is ?I don?t like that he doesn?t think me and my friends are right when we criticise him?.

Well I give more compliments than criticises, certainly during Series 4s run I hardly had anything bad to say about him as a writer.

>But how is a professional meant to function when 99% of what?s written on the internet by fans IS crap? Smile and nod and say they?re all providing valuable input? You can argue that it?s impolitic to dismiss publicly. Or you can argue that without that ability to reject a writer becomes utterly stymied – and expressing it at least makes him candid and recognisably human rather than a corporate suit showrunner.

I think that he should not dismiss everybody on internet boards, the ones who deserve it should be dismissed, the ones who talk between themselves as fans and say what is right and wrong with episodes, I don’t see a problem with because I am one of them.

>You don?t have a problem with the guy as a person, because you don?t know how he treats people, what kind of company he is, or how kind he is to animals.

How kind he is to animals? But you are right about that, I admit I was wrong there.

>You dislike one thing, one judgement call and his mode of expressing it, based on a few for-public interviews. It?s ridiculous to summarise about his entire character.

Same as previous, it is very possible he is having a bad day but I just think when you are in the public eye those sort of comments should not be made, comments like that stick with me, one of the reasons I dis-like Eric Saward, he is a good writer but certain comments made, hmm.

>As for mosquitos – anyone who posts a whinge about the show?s ?gay agenda? deserves to be swatted.
    I do think he forces it in sometimes (such as Ricky being gay in ‘Age of Steel’ though this was cut for time, it is on teh Series 2 Boxset) but I don’t think it is a “gay agenda”, just parts of his character showing through.

JamesTC
    Participant

>Internet fans: they can dish it out, but they sure can?t take it.

I can take it, I’m not here smashing my key board going “I hate RTD” because I don’t.

>All you mean is ?I don?t like that he doesn?t think me and my friends are right when we criticise him?.

Well I give more compliments than criticises, certainly during Series 4s run I hardly had anything bad to say about him as a writer.

>But how is a professional meant to function when 99% of what?s written on the internet by fans IS crap? Smile and nod and say they?re all providing valuable input? You can argue that it?s impolitic to dismiss publicly. Or you can argue that without that ability to reject a writer becomes utterly stymied – and expressing it at least makes him candid and recognisably human rather than a corporate suit showrunner.

I think that he should not dismiss everybody on internet boards, the ones who deserve it should be dismissed, the ones who talk between themselves as fans and say what is right and wrong with episodes, I don’t see a problem with because I am one of them.

>You don?t have a problem with the guy as a person, because you don?t know how he treats people, what kind of company he is, or how kind he is to animals.

How kind he is to animals? But you are right about that, I admit I was wrong there.

>You dislike one thing, one judgement call and his mode of expressing it, based on a few for-public interviews. It?s ridiculous to summarise about his entire character.

Same as previous, it is very possible he is having a bad day but I just think when you are in the public eye those sort of comments should not be made, comments like that stick with me, one of the reasons I dis-like Eric Saward, he is a good writer but certain comments made, hmm.

>As for mosquitos – anyone who posts a whinge about the show?s ?gay agenda? deserves to be swatted.
    I do think he forces it in sometimes (such as Ricky being gay in ‘Age of Steel’ though this was cut for time, it is on teh Series 2 Boxset) but I don’t think it is a “gay agenda”, just parts of his character showing through.

JamesTC
    Participant

Triple post? I wonder if it a record, sorry, anyway I found the article, the comment is completely out of line –
    “Other sci-fi writers make a point of praising their hardcore fans, but Davies can be very rude about them (look away now, Whovians). “It’s like having a swarm of fucking mosquitoes buzzing around you. It doesn’t stop you doing your job, but, Christ, they buzz!””
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/russell-t-davies-return-of-the-tea-time-lord-805255.html

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

That’s nowhere near as bad as some of the personal abuse he’s had to put up with. Being called a mosquito isn’t as bad as being called a fat talentless poof. Especially when only two of those things are accurate.

JamesTC
    Participant

Why can’t he take a leaf out of JNTs book (awaits on of those smart arse comments, if yopu have one about JNT, fuck off, I don’t care). Listening to the audio he made on his time on Who when he talks of the comments some people were saying he says things along the lines of “I just carries on”. JNT got and gets more stick than RTD does, neither should get stick but to just say all hardcore fans are buzzing around him like insects is wrong, as I have said it is a vocal minority, it is always a vocal minority who spoil everything but it is obvious it is a vocal minority, not all hardcore Doctor Who fans hate the new series, infact it is only really a small amount that don’t, I enjoy it, not as much as I enjoy the classic series, I still enjoy it.

Dave
    Participant

>I do think he forces it in sometimes (such as Ricky being gay in ?Age of Steel? though this was cut for time, it is on teh Series 2 Boxset) but I don?t think it is a ?gay agenda?

So the first example that springs to mind is one that was omitted from the show. Not a good start.

I actually don’t think this was cut for time, I’ve no proof either way but it does throw up all sorts of issues for a nature versus nurture versus gay gene debate.

But please let’s not turn Marleen’s NO SPOILERS ‘Recommend Me Old Who’ Thread into SoundableObject’s NO SPOILERS ‘RTD Ate My Childhood’ Thread.

JamesTC
    Participant

>So the first example that springs to mind is one that was omitted from the show. Not a good start.

Ok then, what about Torchwood.

Dave
    Participant

>Ok then, what about Torchwood.

So the second example that springs to mind is a show that was broadcast in a post-watershed slot and featured examples of heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality in fairly equal amounts. Not a good middle.

Andrew
    Participant

> ?It?s like having a swarm of fucking mosquitoes buzzing around you. It doesn?t stop you doing your job, but, Christ, they buzz!??

I love this quote. I genuinely love it. There’s the talent right there. The constant, distracting hum of online fandom for a huge, mainstream show. Tell me that’s not accurate! That the volume of chatter about a hit show by its hardcore doesn’t, in the end, resemble the drone of insects. Not in itself detrimental or harmful, but forever insistent on being heard. Given volume BY its volume, not by its intrinsic value. Not especially effectual, and ultimately made up of so many elements that you could never readily pluck the few useful sounds from the buzz without intense, concentrated, microscopic work.

That’s not an insult, and anyone who takes it as such needs to take a long hard look to see if they actually understand it. Man, Who fans…sometimes they’re not even worthy of the quality of RTD’s critique!

JamesTC
    Participant

>So the second example that springs to mind is a show that was broadcast in a post-watershed slot and featured examples of heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality in fairly equal amounts. Not a good middle.

What about when characters spring from one sexuality onto another through the series, Ianto and Toshiko, in them cases I find it forced, though I think Ianto and Jack together is very good and funny.
    Don’t get me wrong I think it is a great series, well series 1 was ok, series 2 was fantastic.

I’m just sick of these type of arguments now anyway, I hate arguing like this, it is not a debate, it is an argument which I hate, I will save talking about Who for IMDB and DWO. It just seems like every opinion I express somebody has to pick it apart, I enjoy the show but it has problems, end off discussion.

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 152 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.