Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Marleen’s NO SPOILERS ‘Recommend Me Old Who’ Thread.

Viewing 52 posts - 101 through 152 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    Ian Symes
    Keymaster

It just seems like every opinion I express somebody has to pick it apart

Yeah, what kind of debate is that?

I enjoy the show but it has problems, end off discussion.

Much better idea – you express your opinion, nobody is allowed to disagree. Hooray!

JamesTC
    Participant

>>I enjoy the show but it has problems, end off discussion.

>Much better idea – you express your opinion, nobody is allowed to disagree. Hooray!

You can disagree but to me it just seems like you are all picking apart my opinions for the fun of it, not to have a debate, to force an argument. That does sound a bit paranoid but still.

Andrew
    Participant

Well it probably is deja vu – it sounds like it.

http://www.ganymede.tv/forum/2008/12/the-next-doctor-spoilers#comment-136990

Ridley
    Participant

So the second example that springs to mind is a show that was broadcast in a post-watershed slot and featured examples of heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality in fairly equal amounts.

Equal? The protagonists are all bixsexual.

Dave
    Participant

>The protagonists are all bixsexual.

Sex with biscuits?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Hmm, crumbly.

Actualy thinking about that, that would drive me nuts. I hate crumbs in the bed.

Ridley
    Participant

Now, now, Dave, there’s no need to be going make me look foolish.

Andrew
    Participant

> Equal? The protagonists are all bixsexual.

So: like people, then. :-)

The problem is there were only, what, five lead characters. Two straight, two bi-sexual, and an alien that’ll fuck anything. With such a low number you change one, you massively alter the percentages. Semi-regulars like Rhys and Andy are also straight. Not that the show has any duty to stick rigidly to demographic representation…

Ridley
    Participant

So the two straight characters having homosexual encounters doesn’t make them bisexual?

Andrew
    Participant

> So the two straight characters having homosexual encounters doesn?t make them bisexual?

You’ll have to remind me, but I thought at least one was a possession deal…?

Ridley
    Participant
    Pete Part Three
    Participant

Me neither, but nothing to do with the gay stuff.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

The Daleks have the right idea:

EXTERMINATE TORCHWOOD.

Andrew
    Participant

> > So the two straight characters having homosexual encounters doesn?t make them bisexual?

> You?ll have to remind me, but I thought at least one was a possession deal??

Now remembering that lovely date-rape perfume Owen had, and the couple he used it on.

So, okay, never mind. Mainly because it doesn’t remotely matter – plenty of straight sex going on on-screen, too. All five can be, makes no difference to the show. It’d still be a mess no matter who they were screwing!

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

just seen the trailer for new torchwood a load of children stand still WOW i mean just WOW

ChrisM
    Participant

>just seen the trailer for new torchwood a load of children stand still WOW i mean just WOW

I haven’t seen it yet but you can’t really tell something will be bad from a trailer.

The fact that it’s a multi-part story give me hope that it will be something to get their teeth into, so to speak.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> I haven?t seen it yet but you can?t really tell something will be bad from a trailer.

However, you *can* tell something’s bad if it’s Torchwood.

ChrisM
    Participant

I honestly didn’t mind it. I accept it could be much MUCH better though. That’s what I’m hoping for with the new format.

ChrisM
    Participant

Although there’s no reason it couldn’t have been better in the old format.

A lot of things I dislike about the show are the same things I dislike about Doctor Who too. (Although perhaps not to the same degree. There are some great Doctor Who episodes.)

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

> ?It?s like having a swarm of fucking mosquitoes buzzing around you. It doesn?t stop you doing your job, but, Christ, they buzz!??

I love this quote. I genuinely love it.

I hadn’t seen the quote before, but I wholeheartedly agree.

Ridley
    Participant

Me neither, but nothing to do with the gay stuff.

You want some seed..?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

You want some seed..?

I genuinely lolled at this one!

TheLeen
    Participant

THIS JUST IN:

Because I totally lost any kind of overview and because I’m really not sure whether this thread contains a gazillion spoilers or not: are we still compiling a list of must-see-old-who-probably-around-two-stories-of-each-era-for-Marleen here?

JamesTC
    Participant

>are we still compiling a list of must-see-old-who-probably-around-two-stories-of-each-era-for-Marleen here?

The problem is with such a giant amount of stories just 2 from each era is hard, some people like their ‘Pyramids of Mars’, some people like their ‘Genesis of the Daleks’ and some people like their ‘Arc in Space’.
    For now I think it is best to get a handle of your favourite classic series Doctor and get a few stories of their era.

Dave
    Participant

>are we still compiling a list of must-see-old-who-probably-around-two-stories-of-each-era-for-Marleen here?

Of the stories out on DVD (or thereabouts) in the UK, I would recommend:

1st – An Unearthly Child (part 1 at least), The Aztecs,
    2nd – Tomb Of The Cybermen, The Mind Robber, The Invasion
    3rd – Spearhead From Space, The Three Doctors, Carnival Of Monsters
    4th – Pyramids Of Mars, The Robots Of Death, City Of Death
    5th – Black Orchid, The Five Doctors, The Caves Of Androzani
    6th – Vengeance On Varos, The Two Doctors, Revelation Of The Daleks
    7th – Ghost Light, The Curse Of Fenric, Survival
    8th – The Movie, Shada (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/webcasts/shada/one/prelude.shtml), The Chimes Of Midnight (CD)

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Marleen should watch Genesis of the Daleks and then Remembrance of the Daleks and then City of Death and then The Curse of Fenric and then the Paul McGann movie (because even though it’s shit Paul McGann is brilliant and she’ll love him) and then END OF THREAD.

TheLeen
    Participant

I love Paul McGann already, just from pictures. I’ve been looking forward to the movie for a while now.

Anyway, getting all the DVDs will be somewhat expensive, so some kind of consensus among you guys would be good. Or is it unrealistic of me to hope for a “definitive” list?

Stuff that somehow ended up on DVD my shelf but that I haven’t seen yet: Dr. Who and the Daleks, Daleks- Invasion Earth 2150 AD, The Five Doctors. And Dalekmania, hehe.

JamesTC
    Participant

>Dr. Who and the Daleks, Daleks- Invasion Earth 2150 AD

Those are not Doctor Who, it is about this bloke called Doctor Who who invents a time machine.
    I think I will stick with the Time Lord who steals a TARDIS.
    Watch ‘The Five Doctors’ as soon as possible though, it gives a very nice overview on several Doctors and enemies.

Andrew
    Participant

I’d like to add Spearhead From Space and/or The Time Warrior, along with Caves of Androzani, to Seb’s list, and I’d swap Fenric for Survival. Oh yes I would.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

The. Talons. Of. Weng-Chiang. I’ll even let you borrow the bloody thing, Marleen :)

Andrew
    Participant

Oh, yes, what Tanya said.

It’s hard not to weight the list heavily to Tom Baker’s era, frankly.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Although ‘The Invasion’ from Troughton’s era is groovy, especially if you find Wendy Padbury showing her knickers amusing/arousing. But Weng-Chiang was my first classic (if you don’t count the odd viewings during my childhood), and I’ve never regretted it.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Watch ?The Five Doctors? as soon as possible though, it gives a very nice overview on several Doctors and enemies.

The Five Doctors is just a huge continuity-based circle jerk. Entertaining and fun, yes, but surely it’d be better to watch it after you’ve already got a good idea of those Doctors and enemies?

JamesTC
    Participant

>The Five Doctors is just a huge continuity-based circle jerk. Entertaining and fun, yes, but surely it?d be better to watch it after you?ve already got a good idea of those Doctors and enemies?

It was one of the first stories I saw and I thought it was a great story, not much knowledge didn’t hold me back. It was certainly the first story featuring Doctor 1,2 and 5 though the next day I watched ‘The Tomb of the Cybermen’ and ‘Earthshock’.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Or is it unrealistic of me to hope for a ?definitive? list?

It’s pretty unrealistic, I’m afraid. But honestly, Cappsy’s first post in the thread does a pretty good job of giving a good “overview” list, and I don’t think many of us would argue too bloody-mindedly about it. I would say if you want to watch one story for each Doctor, then that’s about the best list you could go for. Although you should probably watch all three Tom Baker ones that he lists, as they’re really too difficult to choose between and showcase the three distinct attributes of that era (“Genesis” is perfect Who-lore, “City of Death” is Douglas Adams comedy, and “Talons…” is Robert Holmes’ masterpiece).

That said, for the Fifth Doctor, I’d maybe suggest a story other than his last one. “Earthshock”, perhaps. BUT IF ANYONE SPOILERS IT FOR HER THEY’RE BANNED FROM G&T.

TheLeen
    Participant

I see.

So in the end, I’ll just have to buy everything ever released.

Sigh. Alright then.

Let me finish Battlestar Galactica quickly and save up some cash.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Ah, it’s not that bad. If you go for one story from each Doctor, but an extra two for Tom, that’s only ten DVDs. And if you got someone from the UK to pick them up in UK shops (where they’re often quite cheap) for you, you’re probably only looking at about ?80-90. And with the current exchange rate that’s probably only, what, about 10 Euro?

But if you really just do want one or two, then the one absolute story I’d say you should watch in order to get a flavour of just how good Classic Who can be is… Genesis of the Daleks.

Oh, and as for the Peter Cushing movies you’ve got – as SoundableObject says, they’re not “proper” Doctor Who, they’re basically Dalek movies which feature a character called “Dr. Who” who is a scientist from Earth. They’re enjoyable in their own way, but they’re not really at all indicative of what Old Who is like.

TheLeen
    Participant

> And with the current exchange rate that?s probably only, what, about 10 Euro?

Hahaha! I wish :D

Time to start proper quoting, too…

Oh, and as for the Peter Cushing movies you?ve got – as SoundableObject says, they?re not ?proper? Doctor Who, they?re basically Dalek movies which feature a character called ?Dr. Who? who is a scientist from Earth. They?re enjoyable in their own way, but they?re not really at all indicative of what Old Who is like.

I had no idea such things existed. I think my friend bought me this Dalek DVD because it’s nicely sparkly on the outside. I’ll keep it for later, then.

TheLeen
    Participant

PS: nothing. Hit “Post Comment” twice. Bloody touchpad

JamesTC
    Participant

The Dalek films are based on two Hartnell stories which are availible on DVD and are much better. They are called ‘The Daleks’ (it is availible in ‘The Beginning’ box set which I reccomend highly for the extras alone) and ‘The Dalek Invasion of Earth’. They planned a third film which was to be a re-make of ‘The Chase’ but I think Dalekmania had died down by then.

JamesTC
    Participant

So is anybody getting ‘The Rescue’/’The Romans’ on monday, it looks like a bloody good set.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Is that a recommendation for Marleen? I think not!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

No, it’s a chicken.

JamesTC
    Participant

Who cares? I want it off the ship.

si
    Participant

I’ll be getting The Rescue/The Romans (I’ve ordered it from Play, so it’ll probably arrive tomorrow). I bought The E-Space Trilogy as well lately, but still haven’t got round to watching those, what with one thing and another.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Is that a recommendation for Marleen? I think not!

I knew that, but did he know that? I think not!

si
    Participant

Watched ‘The Rescue’ this morning, and it was pretty good. Those skirts are going to be *very* short in the 25th Century…

Dave
    Participant

>Watched ?The Rescue? this morning, and it was pretty good. Those skirts are going to be *very* short in the 25th Century?

If I were 500 years younger…

JamesTC
    Participant

I can recommend ‘The Rescue’, it is a wonderful little story, a teeny tiny cast with only about 4 new sets built. The crashed space ship reminds me of the Nova 5 too.

si
    Participant

Currently halfway through ‘The Romans’, and it isn’t as good as I’d hoped. Although there is a very good featurette called ‘Girls Girls Girls’ which is about the Doctor’s female companions of the 60s…

JamesTC
    Participant

I have finished ‘The Romans’, I quite liked it, not as good as the other historical stories like ‘The Aztecs’ but still highly entertaining and very funny, especially episode 3, I was laughing like an idiot at Nero.

JamesTC
    Participant

After the main documentry I now understand a comment from David Tennant in ‘Fires of Pompeii’, they shown a nice clip too.

Viewing 52 posts - 101 through 152 (of 152 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.