Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum New Red Dwarf Episode Announced August 24th 2008

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 245 total)
  • Author
    Mr Flibble
    Participant

http://llewtube.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=841#p7784

I won’t post the text, lest I get killed for wasting bandwidth.

TheLeen
    Participant

Ohhhhhhhhh… splendid!

(And after that one, 5 more, please.)

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Is this mentioned anywhere else? Can it be verfied?

And I realise that it’s the name of the production company, but “Grant Naylor” is finalizing the script?

I’m not going to get my hopes up until it’s verified by an official source.

While on the topic of new Dwarf, check this out from Outpost Gallifrey:

Doctor Who has been named the show that people would most like to see adapted for the cinema.

A Radio Times online poll in July and August saw some 2,300 readers take part, and they put the revamped series top of their movie hopes. Torchwood came ninth.

A breakdown of the figures isn’t revealed but Friends came second, Red Dwarf third, Heroes fourth, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation fifth, Spooks sixth, 24 seventh, Lost eighth and The Prisoner tenth.

Red Dwarf came 3rd so there is defiantly still interest in new Dwarf.

Somebody
    Participant

BBC Worldwide? They make shows by themselves?

philmyer92
    Participant

One thing in that told me not to get excited. BBC Worldwide. That tells me that it’s going to be dreadfully over marketed, rushed, full of guest stars, product placement i mean just look how it was announced. But if non of that appears then it’ll be a stright to DVD release.

hummingbird
    Participant

I can attest to a cautious glimmer of hope.

With official confirmation I may even allow myself to get excited.

Andrew
    Participant

> BBC Worldwide. That tells me that it?s going to be dreadfully over marketed, rushed, full of guest stars, product placement i mean just look how it was announced

Has it been announced? Or have you just heard about it ahead of its release thanks to a cast member making mention of it?

What BBC Worldwide-funded show contain product placement? BBCWW has been co-funding TV comedy for decades…not least shows like Dwarf (and, I believe, Ab Fab, Partridge, etc. etc.).

philmyer92
    Participant

Just me being pessimistic really. But in my opinion it wasn’t just robert mentioning it. It all seemed very planned. And the fact that it was an event where you had to buy tickets which money went to a tv channel and that the event was advistised alongside a pledge drive. What i’ve been told that bbc worldwide do is when a show gets commisioned bbc worldwide provides extra funds in return for the rights to make lots of merchandise and then depending on how much money they give they often get a big say in the show so they include other things to make the show sell this could mean changes to red dwarf.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Jesus Christ. Looking forward to seeing the video of what he said, but… well, Jesus Christ. I feel like we’re on the cusp of going completely fucking fanboy/girl MENTAL when this thing is properly announced.

Andrew
    Participant

> It all seemed very planned.

The event was planned, but it was going ahead anyway, unrelated to any other project. The fact that Robert knows a certain something is coincidental timing, and something he chose to mention. It it were an announcement, GNP would have made it – and included significantly more details.

The event wasn’t advertised along with the pledge drive – it was one of the things being used to raise money. As PBS stations often do with guests.

> i?ve been told that bbc worldwide do is when a show gets commisioned bbc worldwide provides extra funds in return for the rights to make lots of merchandise and then depending on how much money they give they often get a big say in the show so they include other things to make the show sell this could mean changes to red dwarf.

Then you’ve been somewhat misinformed. BBC Worldwide are the reason the show gets sold to TV stations around the world. BBC Worldwide are the ones who make the DVD releases happen. Which shows have been adjusted to include new content based on BBC Worldwide’s desire to make toys, that you know of? And how would it ‘change’ Dwarf when they’ve been involved with the show since the 90s?

philmyer92
    Participant

you?ve been somewhat misinformed

In that case thank you for correcting me, i take back everything i said and i shall try to get excited unless somebody gives me a reason not to.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

Surely if GNP didn’t want the fact it was coming out to be known, they’d have put everyone who knows about it under an NDA. That’s what, oooh, the rest of the world does.

Things still get out the back door, but usually not attributable to anyone important.

Hence GNP want us to know about it.

Rad
    Participant

http://www.dragoncon.org/dc_guest_detail.php?id=1848

Looks like Robert’s at Dragon Con next week. Hopefully he’ll mention this again there and hopefully someone will cover it.

Andrew
    Participant

Once again Kirk your understanding of all such situations is impressive and contains no possibility for error.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

Well, perhaps Robert’s in the position where he thinks he’s got nothing to lose by breaking such an NDA, if he is under one. But you get my point. If GNP didn’t want it to get out, they would make sure it didn’t, certainly via major cast members.

Andrew
    Participant

As I say, your logic is impeccable and comprehends totally all aspects of the process as it works for both Grant Naylor, and the media in general. The world is, absolutely, as simplistic as you show it to be.

performingmonkey
    Participant

But why would they not want it to get out? If what Bobby said is true the episode is only a couple of months away from being made, so there isn’t really any need to be oh so secretive. Like Ellard said, it’s not as though it’s an official announcement or anything, more like hints of what’s going to happen.

I’m guessing there are certain details that Bobby can’t reveal yet (plot aside) either because he doesn’t know or it’s not confirmed. e.g. whether it’s a DVD-only episode, if it’s TV what channel it’ll be on and when, who’s in it etc.

Without getting ahead of ourselves… 1 hour Christmas special. BBC2, Boxing Day, 9pm. Highest BBC2 ratings of the year. Series IX commissioned for autumn 2009. You can pay me if I’m right, slap me if I’m wrong.

John Hoare
    Participant

Without getting ahead of ourselves? 1 hour Christmas special. BBC2, Boxing Day, 9pm. Highest BBC2 ratings of the year. Series IX commissioned for autumn 2009. You can pay me if I?m right, slap me if I?m wrong.

Form an orderly queue behind the gunsight.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

Andrew, I give up with you. I don’t think it’s remotely that simplistic, OTOH, if it is done properly, what I said is achievable. My reasoning for this is that it happens all the time.

Andrew
    Participant

Happens all the time. Just as you say. Yep. No production’s information ever leaks out before release ever.

philmyer92
    Participant

Now about this filming business I don’t know whether it was actually announced that the event was being filmed specially for a DVD or whether the person who went just guessed but if it was being filmed for a DVD then that DVD would surely the 1 hour special with a commentary or two, a documentary, smeg ups, deleted scenes, trailers and then that would leave quite a lot of space so ideally we’d all like another few new episodes. But if we tune back into sanity FM what else do you think may show up on a new DVD?

Daff
    Participant

If it is going ahead I don’t see it as a Christmas special as it’s a short turnaround to get effects and stuff done. Could be done for the 21st anniversary though.

Personally I would think they might go down the stargate route, releasing it on DVD first then it being shown on TV a few months later.

But then we are getting far too ahead here really. It (if there is an it) could be an hour long special on how the movie couldn’t get made.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

No production?s information ever leaks out before release ever.

Not generally from the main cast/crew, no. Glad you agree.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I don?t see it as a Christmas special as it?s a short turnaround to get effects and stuff done. Could be done for the 21st anniversary though.

… although we don’t know how long it’s been in the pipeline… they could have been shooting it months ago for all we know.

Not generally from the main cast/crew, no. Glad you agree.

Yeah, Catherine Tate didn’t say *anything* in interviews that hadn’t been announced by Team Who…

Good to see you know more about the TV industry than the guy that works in it, though.

Andrew
    Participant

> Andrew, I give up with you.

So much for that then.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> ? although we don?t know how long it?s been in the pipeline? they could have been shooting it months ago for all we know.

But Robert’s said they’re starting filming in October this year. Unless they’ve been secretly filming without him…

Mr Flibble
    Participant

Yeah, Catherine Tate didn?t say *anything* in interviews that hadn?t been announced by Team Who?

I did think about that when I put it. Which is why I put “Not generally” rather than “Not”.

If you all learned to read what I had written, this would be a much more sensible discussion!

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Ah, okay. I’ve not read the original thread because I haven’t been at a proper computer all day ;-)

If so, then yeah, it does seem quite a short timeframe. It wouldn’t appear to me, then, that this is being aimed for the 20th anniversary year. But stranger things have happened, I suppose…

ChrisM
    Participant

that DVD would surely the 1 hour special with a commentary or two, a documentary, smeg ups, deleted scenes, trailers and then that would leave quite a lot of space so ideally we?d all like another few new episodes.

I hope it’s kind of a pilot, i.e. testing the ground if there’s a market for more Dwarf, more episodes to appear depending on viewing figures etc. (Ok pilot isn’t the correct term considering the programme has been around for years, hence the ‘kind of’ qualifier. I’m sure you know what I mean.)

I hope the whole thing won’t be wrapped in the one episode certainly, an hour doesn’t seem long enough to cover everything. (Assuming it is a sequel to the series rather than something completely different.)

Hope that doesn’t come across ‘half empty’. I really am very pleased, and I’m happy to wait and see what happens. Nothing wrong with voicing hopes though. Best thing we’ve heard in a while. (Not including Bodysnatcher, which was also good.)

Andrew
    Participant

> I did think about that when I put it. Which is why I put ?Not generally? rather than ?Not?.

So in what way did that prove your point, or show I agree with you?

Go attack someone else. I don’t work there any more, so your special brand of pissed-off-ness is misdirected as well as ill-thought-out.

As a general point – if I can address the thinking people for a moment – cast leaks are one of the FIRST places to look when information gets out. Lead cast are, after all, indispensable – an NDA only makes so much difference. What with this being the real world and all. (Right now we all know Tyrese Gibson’s been cast in the new A-Team production despite no casting announcement having been made. How? He’s twice said a touch little too much to journalists. Yet his contract ain’t even signed.)

Still, what we’re talking about is a ‘fact’ that’s ‘known’ by Dwarf fandom, and mostly just its internet-based sub-group. Yet there’s been no full announcement, no press release. Any visitor to AICN or CHUD.com will see information about projects appear long, long before the studios are in a position to announce – info that, ultimately, only touches a fraction of the audience the projects themselves will ultimately be seen by. The ‘news’ is among a relatively small community. When you talk about information getting out, the scale of the spread matters.

Will the papers report on new Dwarf now, based on a comment at a Q&A, or will they wait until there’s confirmation? Of the papers who would publish sooner rather than more accurately, how many readers would take the story as fact right away? (“Holly Valance to Take Over As Buffy”?!)

Just because information cannot always be contained, doesn’t mean the same as someone wanting it leaked. There has never, in the history of the medium, been a TV or film production that has managed to keep all information back until ‘official release’. Never. Not one. Doesn’t happen with, oooh, ANYONE’S production, ever. How wide it spreads, and how much interest there is, varies, but NO production is air-tight.

And this is all talking generally. Anyone who’s spent a little time around Red Dwarf in its most prolific years will know the sheer amount of information that came out versus the quantity that turned out to be true. No little part of that was due to the cast chatting to fans at various events – they are, after all, the most visible of those involved, and so the most pestered.

I get it – it’s a rare thing these days and the current fans aren’t used to it. One leak feels like a flood. But there was a time, and maybe will be again, where GNP had so much going on that there would be something like this three times a week. We watched it all come out, debated it just you all are doing now…and we were wrong as often as we were right. Even if the information was accurate, our interpretations were not.

So, y’know, good luck!

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Okay can someone just cut out all the guff and confirm what we know?

Andrew
    Participant

> Okay can someone just cut out all the guff and confirm what we know?

Fire pretty?

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Oh give me a break :P I’ve spent two nights sleeping on bedroom floors and I’m shattered. So Robert’s said he’s involved in a 1 hour new episode right? Yet GNP haven’t said a word? Are GNP going to say anything word anytime soon?

Andrew
    Participant

> Are GNP going to say anything word anytime soon?

That would be up to them, I imagine. ;-p

I agree with everybody…and nobody.

I just wanted to join in.

Daff
    Participant

I must say it makes this article on the official site more interesting. Looks like some announcement was definitely planned.

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2008/08/01/kcts-gets-anniversarial/

Stabbim the Skutter
    Participant

ABOUT. SMEGGING. TIME.

That’s all I have to say.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

Go attack someone else. I don?t work there any more, so your special brand of pissed-off-ness is misdirected as well as ill-thought-out.

And I have never mentioned you as having worked there, nor have I attacked you in any way. I have mentioned GNP throughout, not yourself.

Again, if you read what I wrote, you would have realised this.

Idiot.

Can’t we all just get along?

Andrew
    Participant

> Again, if you read what I wrote, you would have realised this.

And if you thought about you wrote, you’d reduce the number of stupid things you said by fully 3%.

Steve Harris
    Participant

This is indeed astonishing news despite it leaving me confused again…

Surely a ‘leak’ can’t be a leak if it’s pre-advertised and clearly GNP had enough time to stop (or attempt to stop) Robert from saying anything!
    The fact that GNP backed up in advance the fact that Robert was going to say something smacks of a set up however you look at it.
    Announcing it as exciting etc seems to aim at wetting the appetite.

Anyway, whatever the reasons behind it all, it has to be great news and probably not the best time to start bickering. Providing it does happen, I can’t wait for an official announcement..

Turk Thrust
    Participant

> Anyway, whatever the reasons behind it all, it has to be great news and probably not the best time to start bickering.

Amen to that. Hopefully people can put their toys back in the pram and just concentrate on discussing things which are more important.

Personally I hope that, if the ep does come about, Doug doesn’t think beyond this and just puts everything into it. By that I mean that I hope that any good jokes from the movie script which can be lifted will be and that the ep won’t be seen as a way of putting Dwarf in the shop window for future projects.

I also pray that it won’t be a ‘best of’ episode with repeated catchphrases and appearances by Ace, the Dibbley family etc.

ChrisM
    Participant

The fact that GNP backed up in advance the fact that Robert was going to say something smacks of a set up however you look at it.

Ah, but he’d already published the fact he was going to on youtube at that point hadn’t he? It wasn’t so much a backing on GNP’s part as informing us of what Robert had already instigated.

I am curious as to why he would choose to speak something that was meant to be kept under wraps however, (possibly just a confusion of information as to how secret was secret or somesuch) but that doesn’t mean it was in GNP’s plans.

Anyway, whatever the reasons behind it all, it has to be great news and probably not the best time to start bickering. Providing it does happen, I can?t wait for an official announcement..

Absolutely! It’s out now (well…in part… probably ) and it’s (potentially) the most exciting news we’ve had in a while. Lets just go with it, and see what else comes up in future. And continue to speculate of course…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

No matter how wonderfully promising this news is, I’m still really nervous to get too excited about it. It’s a strange feeling, as it feels like we’re on the brink of the best Dwarf news since 2002, but it’s still just out of reach until we get something official.

It’s really odd.

philmyer92
    Participant

It?s a strange feeling

Ambivulance?

ChrisM
    Participant

Give that dog a toffee. Hee hee.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Ambivulance?

There’s a joke about paramedics having mixed feelings about their vocation here, but I’m not going to make it.

> Give that dog a toffee. Hee hee.

Hell, I’m feeling generous; give him two!

Andrew
    Participant

> Ah, but he?d already published the fact he was going to on youtube at that point hadn?t he? It wasn?t so much a backing on GNP?s part as informing us of what Robert had already instigated.

Chris M shoots and scores!

And yeah, ‘secret’ and ‘not’ is too simplistic a way to look at it. It’s all a matter of degrees.

> It?s still just out of reach until we get something official.

As it should be, to be honest.

Kris Carter
    Participant

What great news!

Here’s hoping this new episode is great, and ties things up well. And please Doug…. do NOT end this on a cliffhanger. Give it an ending that’s an ending, and if further shows are greenlit later, all the better.

performingmonkey
    Participant

> Here?s hoping this new episode is great, and ties things up well. And please Doug?. do NOT end this on a cliffhanger. Give it an ending that?s an ending, and if further shows are greenlit later, all the better.

D’you know, I don’t think it matters one jot whether it ends on a cliffhanger or not, whether the whole of Dwarf ended on a cliffhanger, just as long as it’s a good one (good cliffhanger = Out Of Time, bad = Only The Good…).

Saying that, I would be VERY happy if this 1 hour episode was completely standalone. Any mention of the VIII cliffhanger should last approx zero to five seconds. Is anyone seriously that arsed about it being resolved? Also, rather than simply being nostalgic it would be great if there was a solid new episode in there. I wouldn’t want an hour just of references to the past, gags repeated and stuff. The fact that it’s ten years on should be brought up though.

John Hoare
    Participant

One thing I’d say is that we should be careful about assuming what the content of the programme will be, just because Rob uses the word “episode”.

Sure, it might be a regular episode – either standalone, or a VIII resolution. But let’s not forget that this is also a programme in the year of or near to Dwarf‘s 20th anniversary. As such, it might take the form of something similar to the ‘Allo ‘Allo or Goodies specials a while back. We have absolutely no idea what kind of show this might be!

John Hoare
    Participant

Anyway, I think the important thing to take from all this is… why the hell is regional telly in the US far more interesting than in the UK these days?

hummingbird
    Participant

Sure, it might be a regular episode – either standalone, or a VIII resolution. But let?s not forget that this is also a programme in the year of or near to Dwarf?s 20th anniversary. As such, it might take the form of something similar to the ?Allo ?Allo or Goodies specials a while back. We have absolutely no idea what kind of show this might be!

It had crossed my mind that it might be a “best of” or a clip show kind of thing, but the fact that it says there’s a script being finalised would suggest otherwise ….?

*prays*

New Red Dwarf on the television? And then, presumably, somewhere on the internet?

Well, I dunno about all of you, but *I* came.

listerssock
    Participant

I’m positively wetting myself with anticipation!! Hope it live up wo expectations :D

performingmonkey
    Participant

> I?m positively wetting myself with anticipation!!

As opposed to negatively wetting yourself, which would be a little like the gag in Backwards…

Nakrophile
    Participant

Excellent news. Now we wait.

Paul Muller
    Participant

My mind has been officially fucking blown.

I go away for one week and this happens.

Just look how surprised I am –>

James
    Participant

It’s a Christmas special where the crew encounter a giant spinning Christmas tree.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

It’s a big screen adaptation of the Christmas mobisode.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

It’s a small, off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic warden.

Paul Muller
    Participant

The more I think about this the more there’s potential for it to be either completely fucking brilliant or utterly atrocious.

I’m thinking either a continuation of generic series VIII style toilet/periods/penis jokes strung across a plot thinner than a slice of reformed ham, or on the other hand, something which demonstrates the brillance of the DVD’s and the flares of genius which are evident in ‘Bodysnatcher’ and the other ‘lost’ material.

I don’t like to bang on about how much I hated the last series but it seemed dated in 1999 so a continuation of the format would probably go down like a ton of bricks with modern audiences and TV exec wanker types.

And please, no bastard spacefaring father christmases.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

a plot thinner than a slice of reformed ham

Hang on! You’re a few words short!

I suggest “a plot thinner than a slice of reformed ham that’s been cut in half, thoroughly sanded down and fed through a mangle”

ChrisM
    Participant

That reminds me of something that could be said in Blackadder, another sitcom that’s been away for a while (in terms of new episodes I mean.)

Tarka Dal
    Participant

I’d love a Dwarfy Xmas. Growing up it always felt like something we should have had.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Blackadder, another sitcom that?s been away for a while (in terms of new episodes I mean.)

And should also probably be kept that way.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Blackadder, another sitcom that?s been away for a while (in terms of new episodes I mean.)

I hated Back and Forth. Had they continued off the back of Blackadder Goes Forth then it might have continued to work. We’ll just never know…

ChrisM
    Participant

>Blackadder, another sitcom that?s been away for a while (in terms of new episodes I mean.)

Do you say that because you disliked Blackadder, or you just think it had it’s day and got worse as time went by?

(That’s not my view mind, just listing possibilities. Although I agree Back and Forth probably wasn’t as good as the series (although I liked it overall). Goes Forth was great though.)

John Hoare
    Participant

I don?t like to bang on about how much I hated the last series but it seemed dated in 1999

I don’t think it was dated at all. Just a bit crap.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Do you say that because you disliked Blackadder, or you just think it had it?s day and got worse as time went by?

I can’t speak for Pete, but I believe that just time went by that the dynamics of the writers had drifted apart and couldn’t quite recapture the magic of the earlier series. And i feel I was a little harsh on saying I hated “Back and Forth”, but I was disappointed with it.

Daff
    Participant

The one thing I like about this (If it happens, not sure of that at all, disclaimer) is that it could be a total reboot of the franchise, Red Dwarf finally gets to Earth then spin off from that, or it’s just a continuation of the previous narrative. A spin off series with all the original characters could be awesome and something that has not been seen before. (Red Dwarf: Earth sounds cool)

Fact of the matter is that any Dwarf related material would be good for most of us reading here, even if it ended up being a retrospective. However even a DVD only release has more legs than could be imagined a year ago, especially now Blu-ray is the format of choice.

performingmonkey
    Participant

The movie screenplay shouldn’t be forgotten. I would guess that the special isn’t related to it at all SO we’ve also got that to look forward to seeing in whatever form. I would love a radio dramatisation of it. It would be so brilliant.

Phil
    Participant

>(Red Dwarf: Earth sounds cool)

After-MASH was awesome.

>even if it ended up being a retrospective.

Maybe I don’t share the majority view on this, but a retrospective here in the age of full-series DVDs seems kind of pointless to anybody but the absolute most casual of fans. I will be disappointed if that’s what it is.

performingmonkey
    Participant

I’ve just thought of something (now there’s a thought). I remember reading that the UKTV channels (run by BBC Worldwide and Virgin) are now more interested in co-producing new shows due to their new channel, Watch, appearing in autumn, on which they want to eventually achieve 50% original programming, 50% classic repeats.

Could we see Red Dwarf on Watch?

hummingbird
    Participant

Is it Friday yet?

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Honestly, I move house and go to France for a week and look what happens.

Splendid news, tentatively excited and amused to see that the bickering and cries of “It’ll probably be shit” have already begun.

Huzzah!

(it might be, though ;)

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Interesting little aside in the Aintitcool forums:

“As a source relatively close to the production team of Coronation Street (UK Soap) I can at least confirm Craig Charles (lister) will not be on set from the end of September to mid way through Novemeber.
    This was not a confirmed break up until recently (as he’s already had his holiday leave) and we wanted to believe it was a contractually arranged Red Dwarf related. So it’s very plausible.”

So it looks like it’ll be more than just a clip show if he’s off for that long.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>I can?t speak for Pete, but I believe that just time went by that the dynamics of the writers had drifted apart and couldn?t quite recapture the magic of the earlier series. And i feel I was a little harsh on saying I hated ?Back and Forth?, but I was disappointed with it.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

I just thought Back and Forth was really feeble and rather depressing. Only just better than SpiderPlant Man.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_07mqQ9RaTk

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

?As a source relatively close to the production team of Coronation Street (UK Soap) I can at least confirm Craig Charles (lister) will not be on set from the end of September to mid way through Novemeber.
    This was not a confirmed break up until recently (as he?s already had his holiday leave) and we wanted to believe it was a contractually arranged Red Dwarf related. So it?s very plausible.?

So it looks like it?ll be more than just a clip show if he?s off for that long.

REHAB.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>I just thought Back and Forth was really feeble and rather depressing. Only just better than SpiderPlant Man.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_07mqQ9RaTk

As Spidey parodies go, this is slightly better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_07mqQ9RaTk

ChrisM
    Participant

Heh. Spider-plant man. First time I’ve seen that.

(Rather liked it actually. Although the batman stuff made me wince a bit.)

red-dwarf-movie-rip
    Participant

Nice going Andrew I’m sure Mr. Bye wanted to be outed like that what’s next are you going to tell us that Peter Piper is really Spider-Plant-Man? : )

Andrew
    Participant

Sorry if I’ve offended. That information actually was ‘out’ on the net already…

Andrew
    Participant

And a button push later…

red-dwarf-movie-rip
    Participant

Was just having fun actually i wonder if they shot that on film it looks like it was and it looks good.

performingmonkey
    Participant

I wonder if any pre-production has been done on this episode. Costume and set designs etc. That’s a thought, what will the set be like?? Kryten’s suit/head? Ship design? It would be a shame if all these things were made just for one episode, but hey. Obviously there’s the possibility of old stuff being reused. Do any old Dwarf sets exist?

thomasaevans
    Participant
    Phil
    Participant

They can buy the original Cat suit on ebay.

thomasaevans
    Participant

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article1615283.ece

IT BEGINS!!!!!

4 special episodes for digital channel ‘Dave’???

> 4 special episodes for digital channel ?Dave????

They’re just making it up now.

hummingbird
    Participant

I don’t like the sound of it.
    It’s that phrase ‘best bits’.

Let’s hope that that paragon of journalism ‘The Sun’ is, in fact, making it up.

Phil
    Participant

The “new sketches and best bits” arrangement seems to suggest that it’ll just be some new material written to bookend the clips.

I’m really hoping The Sun is wrong about this (and it seems there’s plenty of reason to suspect that they might be), because I genuinely don’t see the value in clip-shows in an age where we can rent entire series on DVD, or pop over to YouTube. It’s pointless.

Pleeeeeease let the new material outweigh the “best bits” by a factor of 50:1.

Tonguetied
    Participant

I like how the sun reminds us about the ”good” natures of the cast in that article. I’m with Phil, clip shows are shit, there’s no need at all.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Clip shows?

Oh, fuck off.

Squeaky Gibson
    Participant

I really hope that after all this build up, it won’t go to Dave. Red Dwarf and adverts are a horrible mix and totally ruin the show. the special(s) should air on the BBC, that is the shows natural home, the thought of new material being farmed out to Dave, makes me feel sick. what about the Fan’s who don’t have Freeview/FreeSat, how are they going to watch it? personally i’d like a special shown on either BBC2 or BBC1, with a Doctor Who stlye Confidential on BBC3 shortly after.

Tonguetied
    Participant

What premises do you think could be set up, I mean 10 years needs a continuity explanation, maybe just a throw away line or a short scene detailing what happened, like Lister at the start of Tikka series 7. I hope it isn’t all the cast sitting in the bunkroom reminiscing over past events. Then again I hope it doesn’t just try to redo old classic gags, needs to be fresh new stuff. Not too action orientated as series 7. I think doug will use some of the Earth script that was written. Although we all know what the conclusion was to that, so it would be better if he tinkered with the ending so it didn’t involve Red Dwarf crashing into the earth and wiping out the future species.

> with a Doctor Who stlye Confidential on BBC3 shortly after.

Brilliant idea!

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 245 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.