Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum New Red Dwarf Episode Announced August 24th 2008

Viewing 45 posts - 201 through 245 (of 245 total)
  • Author
    Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Bobby specifically says in one of his Youtube videos that he hasn’t seen a script, has no idea what it’ll be about and – most importantly – “only just heard about it” immediately before his trip to America…

So he hasn’t known about it for ages, unless he’s a big naughty fibber.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Remember, it is only Robert saying ANYTHING about an October shoot. Didn’t The Sun say something about November? Either way, I think relying on the leaking of information to indicate if something is in production is just a bafflingly strange position to take. Productions *can* be on-going without you knowing every single detail, you know, and from the sounds of things Robert had permission to leak some info. What’s to say everyone else is bound by strict confidentiality agreements which, given the nature of the show, isn’t beyond the realms of possibility?

So, yeah, there’s no real point making conclusions based on your own, doubtless faulty, internal logic.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Especially my logic… I don’t think Robert Llewellyn said he’d “only just heard about it” at all. My brain is inventing its own realities these days.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Well, my post was more directed at KIMOTA’s assumption that this October shooting date is gospel.

hummingbird
    Participant

It’s so disappointing to log on and see ’15 new messages’ in the New Dwarf thread and find that there’s no news. 8(

I’m hoping that Bobby’s just a big fibber.
    They weren’t expecting the news to get round so quickly, or so much speculation, so he was told to shut up and discourage any further rumours. That’s the impression I got from Llewtube.

But I could be wrong.

When did Den of Geek interview Danny? Middle of July? He denied all knowledge of new Dwarf at that point. Surely they all would have been aware of it then for Bobby to be able to announce it in August???

Unless they’re all big fibbers.

Phil
    Participant

>So, yeah, there?s no real point making conclusions based on your own, doubtless faulty, internal logic.

I agree with every word of your post, Capps. And yet I still can’t help trying to put it all together in my head and find a definite answer.

Might I have mental health problems?

deleted
    Participant

deleted

deleted
    Participant

deleted

Dave
    Participant

Just type, “HolMem. Password override. The posts of Ota, Kim.” Then press erase.

have I missed something?

performingmonkey
    Participant

Why have the posts gone? I didn’t see them, what was said? Isn’t deleting stuff a tad harsh?

> But yeah, as the shooting deadline nears and no announcement has been made, it?s hard to imagine it?ll be anything other than something small.

Of course, right, yeah. Except no. What other shows do you see having big announcements made before shooting? Not that many, especially sitcoms. If a GNP announcement DOES come in the next few weeks that will only really be for the fans’ benefit. It has no bearing on how big the new project is. Like was said before, it would be pretty cool if they just gave details of the audience recordings (if there are any) and people turned up not knowing what the heck to expect.

Incidentally, seeing as it’s unlikely I would be making it to the recordings (well, if they’re in London, that is, if it was Manchester there would be a chance, though probably not if it was a Friday…ah, we shall see…) I seriously don’t want to know anything about them. I don’t want to be spoiled AND I don’t want to read about some smug fucker’s wonderful experience upon attending them because, frankly, it might make me cry.

Phil
    Participant

>What other shows do you see having big announcements made before shooting?

Well, honestly, you guys may know much better than me. I’ve never been to a recording and I know many of you have. How much notice do people usually get to sign up as audience members? I’d imagine it’s more than half a month, but, as I say, I could well be wrong. Enlighten me, as long as you’re taking the time to pick apart my comment.

Of course, they don’t necessarily HAVE to have an audience, as you say. But in that case, doesn’t it also point toward something small-scale? How much audience-free Dwarf stuff has there been? Just offshoots and compilations. Comparatively “small” fare.

(cue beating)

Andrew
    Participant

> Isn?t deleting stuff a tad harsh?

He deleted his own posts – or, rather, edited them, which is why they’ve all arrived at the bottom.

Andrew
    Participant

> How much notice do people usually get to sign up as audience members?

The IT Crowd are shooting their location stuff right now, and still haven’t announced audience dates…

But as I often say, you can’t take every word of what’s been said as gospel; not everything’s been accurate. You don’t have a confirmed start date, nor a release date. Honestly, you can’t predict the scale of the project based on the information available.

Making no comparisons to whatever’s being cooked up – if this were, say, a one-hour Xmas special for a regular BBC audience sitcom, you’re looking (generously) at week one for location, week two in the studio, editing concluded a few days or a week later. Obviously that ignores pre-production, but still…”Small” is a relative term. It’s still TV we’re talking about, not film.

ChrisM
    Participant

>How much notice do people usually get to sign up as audience members?

When I was on holiday in California some years back, me and my friends were invited to a sitcom recording for that very night! That was in Hollywood though where I’d imagine lots of those things are filmed all the time.I don’t know the rules for sitcoms here. I’d imagine you’d need to book a way in advance for Red Dwarf though especially what with the build up etc.
    EDIT- Obviously depending on what nature the new project takes. /EDIT

Oh, and I found the show rather boring. (I can’t even remember the name.) The comedian who warmed us up and entertained us between scenes and reshoots was great though. It was worth it, if only for him.

Phil
    Participant

>The IT Crowd are shooting their location stuff right now, and still haven?t announced audience dates?

Ah. Well that answers another bonus question; glad to know series three is underway.

>But as I often say, you can?t take every word of what?s been said as gospel; not everything?s been accurate. You don?t have a confirmed start date, nor a release date. Honestly, you can?t predict the scale of the project based on the information available.

Bah, I know, but the temptation is too much. I think the draw to “figuring this out” is that eventually something WILL be announced, and someone will be able to stand up and say, “I knew it!” I’ll try to be quiet from here on out…at least relatively. I’m more likely to make a fool of myself than anything.

locusceruleus
    Participant

I’d give my eye teeth to see a Dwarf shooting.

If there is to be an audience shooting for whatever new RD material may be on the way, it would be a very sweet gesture to the show’s fans if there were some sort of draw through the official website, or some such.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

> “Especially my logic? I don?t think Robert Llewellyn said he?d ?only just heard about it? at all. My brain is inventing its own realities these days.”

I meant the above statement without a hint of sarcasm. I re-watched the video and Bobby Llew doesn’t say anything of the sort. So wasn’t being snidey, Sir Cappsy!

Dave
    Participant

>I?d give my eye teeth to see a Dwarf shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8qRi-bDftg

locusceruleus
    Participant

>>I?d give my eye teeth to see a Dwarf shooting.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8qRi-bDftg

For one terrible moment, I thought that may be a link to Verne Troyer’s latest release.

ChrisM
    Participant

That reminds me, anyone see “Bring Back Starwars” over the weekend?

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Yes! I enjoyed it greatly. Warwick Davies seemed absolutey lovely and Anthony Danields seemed a bit of a twat.

Funny…when he does stuff on his own, I really like Justin Lee Collins.

When he’s with Alan Carr, I want to stick ice-picks through his cheeks.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Warwick Davies seemed absolutey lovely and Anthony Danields seemed a bit of a twat.

I second both these points.

The climax was pretty predictable; a reunion of 5 people. None of whom are even slightly recognisable from the characters they played in the trilogy.

I liked how the Prequel Trilogy wasn’t even mentioned and appreciated the candour of the interviewees (particularly Prowse, Mayhew and Baker), but was shocked by the Hamill factor. 50K for a 20 minute interview is ridiculous. I wouldn’t mind but he’s obviously not that precious about not being associated with the films when you consider his guest appearance in The Simpsons.

performingmonkey
    Participant

The Simpsons probably coughed up the dough.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Yesh, I always thought Hammill was a decent sort of fellow.

I did enjoy watching them all trot out the same old anecdotes from DVD documentaries etc…and then be confronted with questions like “So…you all hated each other?”

Felt sorry for Prowse…seemed Lucas was a right arse with him. I wonder if they get any royalties, etc?

Must have been a proper kick in the nuts for Jeremy Bulloch when they re-dubbed all the dialogue and retconned to make it appear as though it was that New Zealand fellow in the costume all along.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

^Yeah, that was lame. And the show used the 2004 DVD’s (with the redubbed dialogue) for the clips.

That said, Bulloch has done incredibly well out of “being the right size for the costume”.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Carrie Fisher seemed pretty OK too.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Yeah, I’d claim that she’s had a better (or, at least, more “credible”) career than Hamill, but she clearly doesn’t take herself too seriously and came across really well.

Andrew
    Participant

> And the show used the 2004 DVD?s (with the redubbed dialogue) for the clips.

That was unfortunate. It kinda undid Billy Dee Williams’s ‘big sand vag’ point, too. The Lucas lot are very reluctant to let people use those original shows, sadly. (To the point that an exhibitor a few years back had a ‘film from every year’ festival going on, and they would let him use the original Star Wars to represent 1977. They sent him the special edition, which was a 1997 film, so totally missed the point. I believe he dumped the movie for something else from the same year. Good for him.)

> 50K for a 20 minute interview is ridiculous

It is…but it’s not actually that huge, relatively. It’s a huge franchise, a major TV channel, and it’s not like he’s easily replaced. Harrison Ford would have asked for more…

More importantly, it’s a starting figure. No doubt he was asked to do the whole thing – interview, then come to London, perform a scene with a couple of little people. And they started at $50K. You always start high. And the whole show’s a (charming) artifice anyway. Fisher may not have expected the visit, but the agent knew it was likely to happen in some way at some point.

performingmonkey
    Participant

> Must have been a proper kick in the nuts for Jeremy Bulloch when they re-dubbed all the dialogue and retconned to make it appear as though it was that New Zealand fellow in the costume all along.

It was never Bulloch’s own voice anyway. And I don’t think we were ever meant to think Boba Fett was a white English guy in the suit either! He was only ever the guy who fit the suit. The same applied to Prowse really, aside from the fighting and pointy acting he did! Despite what he revealed about the ROTJ script (maybe he was fucked off at not being told Vader was Luke’s father) it was still sad of Lucas not to even acknowledge him on set. There’s so much bitterness and sterility it’s no wonder the prequels turned out how they did (I prefer TPM over the others).

ChrisM
    Participant

>Yes! I enjoyed it greatly. Warwick Davies seemed absolutey lovely

Agreed. I loved the mock lightsaber battle at the end between Warwick and Justin. Silly, silly stuff, but great homagey comedy.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, although I do find myself switching over when he runs up and accosts people. (I’m a shy person at heart and there’s a winceworthy “Noooooo!” when he does that.) That being said, they nearly always agree to the interview even if they don’t turn up to the reunion later, so as Andrew said ‘(charming) artifice.’ Warwick certainly didn’t seem to mind him jumping over the fence and into his back yard (and his wife gave Justin the access info. Heh, heh.)

Oh, and nice hologram/ghost gags at the end with those who didn’t turn up. You get to realize how big Peter Mayhew is when you check out the length of that finger.

>Felt sorry for Prowse?seemed Lucas was a right arse with him.

I agree. It makes me wonder what happened to cause the offence. The programme said something along the lines that Prowse ‘spoke too much’. Does that means he gave out a bit too much plot information before the later films (Jedi likely) came out? Or was just too public? It did come across extremely oversensitive on Lucas’s part though and Prowse came across as a decent enough bloke.

Andrew
    Participant

Prowse was apparently noted for being the source of a lot of leaks. It’s allegedly the reason he didn’t get the real pages for Empire’s ending.

Still, those guys weren’t Doug Jones or Ray Park – they’ve done well to get what they can from the franchise success, but it’s hard to define most of them as really ‘playing the role’ as opposed to ‘wearing the outfit’.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>(I prefer TPM over the others)

[Splutters again]

Dave
    Participant

>(I prefer TPM over the others)

THE Peter Mayhew?

ChrisM
    Participant

Still, those guys weren?t Doug Jones or Ray Park – they?ve done well to get what they can from the franchise success, but it?s hard to define most of them as really ?playing the role? as opposed to ?wearing the outfit?.

I know what you mean, although from an endurance point of view they did very well.

I thought Prowse did remarkably well though. Sure it was mainly pointing, and the helmet and mask what really provided that sense of menace, but his whole mannerism, the way he walked, etc seemed to just… fit. Not that others couldn’t have done it too of course. I guess what I’m saying is, he (and the other costume actors) did what he was hired for well. Minimal as it was. (Maximal when taking the discomfort of wearing that costume into account. Actually that reminds me of the gag of them all running off to dinner and leaving Anthony Daniels behind… Seems not many on set liked him much… ;) )

Also, I get the impression that Prowse didn’t even know they were going to dub his voice before all the other malarky cropped up. It seems Lucas kept quiet about that from the start. To be fair James Earl Jones voice is excellent in the role though.

Also an interesting little tidbit I read concerning Peter Mayhew on Wiki (at least I found it interesting:
    “When Mayhew grew ill in the shooting of The Empire Strikes Back a similarly tall stand in was used, but the actor could not match Mayhew’s studied movement style and the scenes had to be reshot upon Mayhew’s recovery.”

Andrew
    Participant

> I get the impression that Prowse didn?t even know they were going to dub his voice before all the other malarky cropped up. It seems Lucas kept quiet about that from the start.

Lucas was pretty scrambled about what he was doing. He never really intended C3PO to be English, and thought he’d revoice the character eventually (to an American car dealer type, I believe). But if Prowse genuinely thought his Bristol accent was going to suit Vader – especially when he was offered the wookie role first, so size was the only real factor – then he was crazy. Plus…well, he came back for the later films.

> Peter Mayhew on Wiki

a) Wiki, b) not cited, c) stories get exaggerated, d) updated by a Mayhew fan, e) Wiki again.

To be fair, Mayhew’s more recognisable than Prowse – and whever I catch Vader ‘acting’ it bugs me (finger pointing, fist clenching, and that lovely hand-on-hips moment), But then, Lucas wanted nothing too organic or real from his actors in the first place…

I guess I see those characters as being made far more in the costume and direction than the performance. Whereas Abe Sapien’s got some real acting going on.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>> Peter Mayhew on Wiki

>a) Wiki, b) not cited, c) stories get exaggerated, d) updated by a Mayhew fan, e) Wiki again.

I’ve read that Mayhew story before. I think it was in The Annotated Screenplays so that’s presumably where that Wookie Wiki story (sorry) comes from.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

>But if Prowse genuinely thought his Bristol accent was going to suit Vader – especially when he was offered the wookie role first, so size was the only real factor – then he was crazy. Plus?well, he came back for the later films.

He also got dubbed for at least one of the Green Cross Code man PIFs, so my guess is that he wasn’t that surprised!

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

> But if Prowse genuinely thought his Bristol accent was going to suit Vader – especially when he was offered the wookie role first, so size was the only real factor – then he was crazy.

I don’t think he was necessarily crazy. Judging from a few interviews I’ve seen, at the time it was being made many of the cast thought it was a silly low-budget throwaway sci-fi B-Movie. Watching the original rushes, Prowse puts a lot into the vocals and certainly tries his best to sound gruff and threatening…though it still comes out as ‘irritated Wurzel’.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

> I?ve read that Mayhew story before. I think it was in The Annotated Screenplays so that?s presumably where that Wookie Wiki story (sorry) comes from.

Yep, it is indeed. All this instant wiki bashing “just because it’s wiki” gets tiresome.

Dave
    Participant

>He also got dubbed for at least one of the Green Cross Code man PIFs, so my guess is that he wasn?t that surprised!

He was dubbed initially but when his Vader fame arrived he supposedly put his foot down and insisted he wasn’t dubbed anymore leading to kids running accross the busy streets of Britain with abandon and the expression “I’ve had a bit of a Prowse”

Prowse is in the Hitchhiker’s TV show, and apparently the guy the guy in the Marvin suit who didn’t do the voice commented on the similarities with Prowse’s Vader situation and asked why he didn’t do the voice, to which the reply came in thickest Mummerset “Oiv’e no Oidea-r”.

Phil
    Participant

>All this instant wiki bashing ?just because it?s wiki? gets tiresome.

You’ll find that most folks tend to swear by wiki as long as it supports what they already believe.

ChrisM
    Participant

>You?ll find that most folks tend to swear by wiki as long as it supports what they already believe.

True. I quoted the Mayhew reference, not because I believe it was absolutely true (although I suspect in this case it is) but as a point of interest in light of the discussion about ‘just guys in suits.’ I.e. as in, “if this wiki statement is true, it suggests he really did bring something to the suit.” not “you’re wrong! This absolutely proves otherwise.”

Tanya Jones
    Participant

>Prowse is in the Hitchhiker?s TV show, and apparently the guy the guy in the Marvin suit who didn?t do the voice commented on the similarities with Prowse?s Vader situation and asked why he didn?t do the voice, to which the reply came in thickest Mummerset ?Oiv?e no Oidea-r?.

It’s a great story, but I have my doubts, as that could have easily been him taking the piss. I don’t know the story behind the production of the Green Cross Code man PIFs, so don’t know his attitude to being dubbed; but I’d like to.

Dave
    Participant

>It?s a great story, but I have my doubts

Me too, it sounds a little like a convention friendly story

Viewing 45 posts - 201 through 245 (of 245 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.