Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf X – Potentially spoilery discussion

Viewing 57 posts - 1 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Jimboid
    Participant

NOTE FROM G&T ADMIN: Please take extra care in this thread to adhere to our spoiler policy. You’re allowed to discuss things that you’ve learned from the press, but not anything that you learned from attending a recording.

Right, after much soul-searching I have decided to create this topic because not talking about this stuff is making my balls itch.

It is designed as a place for discussion about the upcoming series where details can be discussed that MAY OR MAY NOT be true / bollocks / spoilery.

It’s not a place for discussion of stuff seen in the recordings, nor anything else that’s come from anywhere but the officially released info / photos and authorised press reviews.

I think that’s fair game. It’s out there now and for us to debate.

If you don’t want a single frame of the series pre-empted by potentially accurate guesswork or deduction, then this is not the place for you. For you, I have a picture of Cliff Richard cradling some imaginary buttocks. The spoilery-or-not discussion begins in the next post.

Jimboid
    Participant

Right, so. Trojan.

It seems that we’re meeting Rimmer’s brother. But which one? John, Howard or Frank?

Will he be a hologram officer and as such will outrank Rimmer? Is that the dilemma of the episode, that if they go by the book Rimmer will be switched off and replaced by a man he despises?

Also interesting is the hints dropped that Holly might be popping up at some point in the series. We can be 100% sure that this isn’t Norman. But Hattie? Perhaps. That would be great.
    Or is time for a new Holly?

I think it’s been widely guessed that Lemons features a bearded fellow of great historical importance.

Damn it, I can’t bring myself to type it.

But if it is Him, which it probably will be, is that a problem? I can only imagine it being an issue as part of the Red Dwarf universe if it He presented in a mystical way. If just a normal bloke, it’s fair game. Because He was definitely a bloke who knocked about in the real world.

Finally, Blue Midget! Yay! If so, what happened to Starbug? No bugs left on board after evacuation at the end of 8?
    It’d be a shame if we never saw the little green insectoid git again.

Food for thought.

edorb
    Participant

Will he be a hologram officer and as such will outrank Rimmer? Is that the dilemma of the episode, that if they go by the book Rimmer will be switched off and replaced by a man he despises?

Yeah I reckon he’ll be a hologram, it makes sense in the context you’ve mentioned. I think he’ll be invited onboard as the rest of the crew like him initially just for being more achieved than Rimmer. Possibly he could turn out to be an even more unlikeable git than Rimmer though.

We can be 100% sure that this isn’t Norman. But Hattie? Perhaps. That would be great.
    Or is time for a new Holly?

I’d love to see Hattie back. She’s my favourite incarnation of Holly, and even if she pops up briefly I would honestly be happy with that. That being said, I’m unopposed to a new Holly. Having a new element to the show would keep things fresh and interesting, and a new character to be familiar with. Depends, of course, on the actor/actress, but I’m personally willing to give that a chance.

But if it is Him, which it probably will be, is that a problem? I can only imagine it being an issue as part of the Red Dwarf universe if it He presented in a mystical way. If just a normal bloke, it’s fair game. Because He was definitely a bloke who knocked about in the real world.

I think the set report from that episode (or at least the comments section) did mention that some audience members did have a bit of an issue with something, and I think it’s probably got to do with what you’re implying here. To be honest, I don’t really have an issue with it, but it’s certainly going to be down to how it’s handled in the episode. If they don’t make too big of a deal of it it’ll probably be alright.

I do hope we see Starbug at least once, as well. Blue Midget is nice, but I’ve always preferred Starbug’s design. Of course, there’s nostalgic bias on my part involved in that too, but if we don’t see it then I’m not going to be overly upset.

pfm
    Participant

*spoiler from a review*

> Blue Midget! Yay! If so, what happened to Starbug? No bugs left on board after evacuation at the end of 8?

One of the reviews mentions that Starbug is in ‘Trojan’. I wish I didn’t know that but…I can’t unread it! And now you can’t either. ;)

Bezzy
    Participant

i would love to see the new Starbug set! Im wondering if it will have green lighting seeing as the in the Midget set it has a blue tint! :)

edorb
    Participant

In terms of episodes I’m interested in seeing, I’d say Fathers and Suns and Beginning.

Fathers and Suns is probably going to be roughly about what the title is suggesting, but I’m looking forward to see how it’s used and played with. It’s a bizarre scenario so it’ll be interesting to see what comedy and situations arise from it. Also nice to have what is presumably a Lister-centric episode.

The Beginning seems to be the episode with the most hype from the tapings, and of course the massive spoiler it’s hiding is a big attraction, but the fact it’s based on the movie script is quite cool in itself. It’ll likely be the closest we’ll ever get to actually seeing any of the movie, unless one of the drafts goes up on eBay at some point.

pfm
    Participant

Judging by Doug’s comments it only uses part of the early Movie idea.

What I’m guessing is we’re gonna see an adapted version of how the Movie was going to open. Maybe…for anyone who only watched the Movie, the disaster at the end of VIII that (presumably) saw all the crew, bar the Dwarfers, die is essentially the Movie’s version of the radiation leak and the setup for the Red Dwarf story.

Whatever…I’m wondering what the point is of even referencing the VIII resolution, let alone showing it.

Sarah
    Participant

>Right, after much soul-searching I have decided to create this topic because not talking about this stuff is making my balls itch.

You can get cream for that ;)

mick
    Participant

Whipped cream?

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Jimboid – while the content and concept of this thread is fine within the confides of our spoiler policy, I have to say that the admins were all a little put out by your original post. I know this probably wasn’t intentional, but it came across as if you’d appointed yourself as a forum moderator, without any input from those of us who actually *are* forum moderators!

I wouldn’t normally mention it, but as we’re so close to broadcast, it’s getting increasingly tricky to keep tabs on what information is out there. We’re getting a lot of search engine referrals from people looking for “red dwarf x spoilers”, and I’d hate for G&T to be the place where things go wrong. With that in mind, it’s worth re-iterating that it’s me, Cappsy, John, Tanya and Danny who decide what’s allowed to be discussed on this site, nobody else.

Sorry to dump this on you, Jimboid, especially as I don’t think it was your intention to undermine us. Just wanted this on the record. We are perfectly happy for the thread to continue, so – as you were.

JamesTC
    Participant

Gentlemen, thank you for attending the meeting. Now, let me begin by saying that it can’t have escaped anyone’s attention that things have been getting rather strained around here of late. It’s no secret that the forum is on the floor. We’ve lost all trace of Seb Patrick, tempers are strained, and spoilers are low. So, I’ve decided, if it’s all right with you, to appoint myself forum moderator, and set myself the task of raising the spirits and improving the atmosphere all ’round. Now, to kick off, I thought it would be productive if we all met once a week and have a coffee or a beer, whatever’s your poison, and get any spoilers we may have off our chests. Any objections?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>We’ve lost all trace of Seb Patrick

All in all, a hundred per cent successful trip.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

We don’t want him! Go away! You took him, you can keep the smegger.

Sarah
    Participant

>Whipped cream?

Why not? I’ve heard it’s very soothing, and you know you’re in for a good night with whipped cream :)

Jimboid
    Participant

This is probably a discussion best suited a private message, but I’m happy to say here – genuine apologies. I was just trying to be clear in the original post to avoid anything apearing in it that would violate the spoiler policy.

I did mention the idea of starting such a thread in a different discussion and nobody raised an objection, so I did.

Apologies, sirs. I didn’t mean to steal yours or anyone else’s thunder. I didn’t intend to appear authoritative or moderatory in any way, just starting a conversation which had to have limits so as to stay within the bounds you set out.

Naturally, I will commit suicide immediately *puts Bazookoid barrel in mouth*

Jimboid
    Participant

In a way though…I’m quite flattered and surprised by the notion that anyone might mistake me for a proper moderator. I mean, look at me. Look at my beard.

I’m not even wearing trousers.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

We’re cool here.

pfm
    Participant

> With that in mind, it’s worth re-iterating that it’s me, Cappsy, John, Tanya and Danny who decide what’s allowed to be discussed on this site, nobody else.

I’m proper disappointed in myself for clicking on this thread in the first place, let alone reading any of the reviews that’ve appeared. All that after months and months of putting my fingers in my ears going ‘la la la la la’ (which, incidentally, went down particuarly well at work)… That’s what I get for being such a flaky wanker. :D

Phil
    Participant

> With that in mind, it’s worth re-iterating that it’s me, Cappsy, John, Tanya and Danny who decide what’s allowed to be discussed on this site, nobody else. Oh, and pecospete666.

pfm
    Participant

> Oh, and pecospete666.

Don’t even joke…..o.o

Pecospete666
    Participant

Thank you Phil! Any publicity is good publicity!

Sarah
    Participant

I’ve read the whole topic and the only thing I remember was balls and buttocks, potential spoilers are lost on me as I forget them 5 secs later :)

Alex
    Participant

Thank you Phil! Any publicity is good publicity!

I’m not sure Barrymore would agree.

Jimboid
    Participant

So it’s Howard in Trojan.

The pic of them together is lovely

That’s a great bit of casting. He looks just right.

Loving the uniforms too. Would’ve been happy for this to have been Rimmer’s permanent outfit for the whole series.

So, I presume that we’re on board Trojan here…and Rimmer’s being generated by that ship’s computer, hence the costume change. This is reminding me a lot of Holoship. I presume, like that episode, much of the situation’s humour will arise from Rimmer’s ineptitude, being out of his depth in a highly skilled environment.

Or could the pull an old switcheroo and have Howard being secretly inept, all mouth no trousers?

I look forward to finding out.

With regard to the Blue Midget / Starbug conundrum…it would be great to see the bug reappear, but you don’t really need both. Starbug always seemed like a replacement for BM and I doubt they’d bother constructing two different sets for ships that ulitmately serve exactly the same narrative purpose. Which makes me think that if starbug DOES turn it it’ll be as a result of a plot point.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

In astronomy, a trojan is a minor planet or natural satellite (moon) that shares an orbit with a planet or larger moon, but does not collide with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_(astronomy)

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

In astronomy, a trojan is a minor planet or natural satellite (moon) that shares an orbit with a planet or larger moon, but does not collide with it.

Alright, Brian Cox.

Sarah
    Participant

Trojan is also a horse. If Rimmer’s brother has been alone in deep space for all those years, how insane is he going to be? He hasn’t had Listers luck in having Arnold as a companion (to keep him sane).

Maybe it isn’t really Howard but a “Trojan” Hologram…..like the horse, designed to trick the crew.

Bezzy
    Participant

yeah maybe as a trojan, it appears as a distress call but turns out to be dangerous (like ‘Psirens’?)

Bezzy
    Participant

I reallly hope there is a star bug, i always assumed Blue midget was the ‘pop down the shops’ kind of vehicle while the bug would be for the ‘big road trips’ being the bigger vessal..

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Howard is an actual horse using a perception filter.

Howard is an actual horse using a perception filter.

Neigh, I don’t believe it.

Sorry.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

The entire crew are horses. Howard, ironically, is the only human.

Howard and Rimmer have to dress as a panto horse in order to fit in with the rest of the crew and argue about who’s going to be at the back.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Is there not a bit of a split going on here, in that the same thing is now being discussed both here in the forum and in comments on the front page?

Surely if something’s got a front page story – as the Howard info does – it doesn’t need separately doing on the forum?

Connell
    Participant

I think that Kriton might be in the new series what do you guys things to this i heard it was just a rumour bit it maybe might be true your thoughts?????

JamesTC
    Participant

When are tickets going up for sale? I might ask Norman Lovett on twitter, he might know.

Jimboid
    Participant

Seb, really? Does it matter if a topic’s touched on in two different places?

I thought it might be discussed in a different way in this thread where it’d be safer to guess at the hows annd whys of the character without spoiling it for those who didn’t want to know.

I like it here, but if there’s really a need to control what we say to this degree, how we say it and where we say it…it stops being fun.

I totally get the importance of keeping the forum tidy and avoiding duplicated threads, but this just sounds like nitpicking.

I’ve been nice to everyone here and if i’ve inadvertently pissed on anyone’s chips or if my approach to starting conversations seems like something that should be the sole privelage of moderators then i’m sorry and i’ll go home. I’ve already offered to mince myself.

Now if you’ll excuse me, i have some sand to wash out of my vagina.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

It’s ok, the original intent of this thread was to discuss stuff that is not necessarily being discussed elsewhere on the site, it’s just so happened that the Howard stuff broke soon after which split the discussion.

Anyway, I’m sure there are other bit of speculation of be done, so don’t let the thread get derailed! I want to read everyone’s theories. Dance for me! Dance!

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I’m not trying to control things – it’s not my place to, any more – I’m just saying that there’s an active discussion of all of this on the front page. I probably phrased it badly, but what I more meant was that (if you weren’t actually aware of the post, as I know some people probably come directly to the forum) you might not realise that it’s being discussed in detail elsewhere already. After all, the forum is more of a spinoff of the main G&T news/discussion site than vice versa.

Anyway, never mind. Sorry to have annoyed you, especially on the site’s birthday *sniff*

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Can we not fight on this of *all* days?

And on our anniversary too…

Jimboid
    Participant

It’s a birthday? WHERE’S MY FUCKING CAKE? No hard feelings, let’s kiss and make up. For the kids, at least we’ll make it work.

Jimboid
    Participant

Seb…are you not a moderator? Then my entire flounce was utterly unfounded and nonsensical and i am complete and total tit.

Jimboid
    Participant

This thread is a total fucking car crash. Let’s delete it. No, no…we’ll stick with it.

Sarah
    Participant

Is there a delete button? I’ve even looked under my seat and not found one.

Jimboid
    Participant

Here’s one!

Oh…no, wait. That’s my bumhole.

Right, so…spoilery postulation, then.

I think what everyone wants to know is:

Will the woman with the fox pelt, who cat sprayed with a soda water siphon in Stasis Leak, be making an appearance in the new series?

It’s been 24 years since her last appearance and the show just hasn’t been the same without her.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

At least this time Dona DiStefano won’t be around to ruin the comedy spray.

Jimboid
    Participant

Did you know that Donna DiStefano is also a New York based jewellery company?

http://www.donnadistefanoltd.com/

Now you do.

si
    Participant

WOW.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Just out of interest. Has anybody seen all 6 episodes either in recording or at any kind of preview showing? If so, what order would you rank the episodes in? I’m hoping to have a clue as to what to expect after seeing the second episode filming and after watching the first episode once it’s aired.

Pecospete666
    Participant

I have not got my copy from Danny yet ! Buy a Bucky tee shirt and maybe you will win.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I’m missing episode 4 from my collection.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Just out of interest. Has anybody seen all 6 episodes either in recording or at any kind of preview showing? If so, what order would you rank the episodes in? I’m hoping to have a clue as to what to expect after seeing the second episode filming and after watching the first episode once it’s aired.

Ep two is the only one I haven’t seen any of (beyond what’s in trailers). At the moment (although doubtless this ranking will change during broadcast, and probably for a while afterwards), I’d say 6 > 1 > 5 > 3 > 4. From what I know of 2, I’m expecting it to slot in either just above, or just below, Trojan.

Squeaky Gibson
    Participant

Wow, seems like most of the series will be slow build up to great finale, it’s series VI all over again!

Bezzy
    Participant

> Wow, seems like most of the series will be slow build up to great finale, it’s series VI all over again

and there was nothing wrong with that! :)

Alex
    Participant

At the moment (although doubtless this ranking will change during broadcast, and probably for a while afterwards), I’d say 6 > 1 > 5 > 3 > 4.

Interesting. 3 & 4 are the ones that I didn’t see so I can’t really comment, but from what i’d heard I thought that it would have outranked 5.

mick
    Participant

> Why not? I’ve heard it’s very soothing, and you know you’re in for a good night with whipped cream :)

I’m in there!

Viewing 57 posts - 1 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.