Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Should Rimmer get a costume redesign for Series XIII?

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 101 total)
  • Author

He’s had the same one for three series now.

Piplup2003
    Participant

I think he should. I’d love him to go back to the quilted jacket, but that’s my opinion.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Sure, why not. The visual styles of X and XI/XII are different enough for Rimmer’s costume being the same to not really bother me, but variation is always nice. We’re running out of primary colours though, will be be purple or orange next?

(Are they primary colours?)

Dave
    Participant

Yellow quilted, a la Out Of Time. Get Kryten a toupée while they’re at it.

Just to clarify, I’m not suggesting I dislike Rimmer’s current ensemble, I quite like it actually and I have no problem with it in X, XI, and XII.

Given that it’s a variation on the BtE one, we’ve had the same costume for four series and nearly ten years. His earlier costumes never lasted for more than two series. So yes, a new design would be good.

Won’t happen though.

Flap Jack
    Participant

YES.

Of course, that means the current Rimmer will have to be killed and replaced with a new Rimmer, but it’s worth it.

Taiwan Tony
    Participant

Yes, I’m bored of blue now.
    Orange and purple are secondary colours. As is green (Or ‘III’).
    Orange is a good shout.

Next week. Tertiary colours!

Someone should photoshop Rimmer and change his outfit from blue to purple and tell the results

GlenTokyo
    Participant

I’d like to see green or red again, but mostly I think he needs something a bit more utilitarian, it’s a bit regal for a technician the holo costume. I liked the quilted jacket costume but I know Chris thought he looked like a Chesterfield or something, so maybe lose the quilting but keep the jacket, trousers, boots look. Maybe something like the old Apollo astronaut jackets, Adam Savage from Mythbusters wears them and they look pretty swanky but useful, get his notebook and pipe cleaners in it.

Moonlight
    Participant

Why would we need Photoshop to see a purple Rimmer? Just watch Entangled, he turns purple in that when he goes softlight.

You know I’m right.

Watched it, he looks red to me. Sir, is it possible you could’ve made a mis-smelling?

flanl3
    Participant

-orange
    -yellow
    -chartreuse
    -mint green
    -cyan
    -azure
    -purple
    -magenta
    -pink
    -white
    -gray
    -black
    -nothing

>-nothing

Already happened, see profile pic

flanl3
    Participant

Not as a regular uniform, though.

I DMed Naylor; unfortunately the naked uniform is exclusive to the stage play

flanl3
    Participant

Doug Naylor or Rob Naylor?

Nah Nate Naylor; I was skeptical at first but than he revealed to me the real reason why Grant Naylor split and I soon grew to trust his information

bloodteller
    Blocked

rimmer’s new costume should be some JNCOs and a large velvet hat. he never takes the hat off so people stop asking if chris is wearing a wig

He did have a hat in Series III & IV that nobody mentions; so we could have an opportunity for a callback there

Lily
    Participant

Yes. Bored of the same blue outfit all the time.

I liked the mix & match aspect of III where he had t-shirts, shirts or jackets appropriate to the situation.

>I liked the mix & match aspect of III where he had t-shirts, shirts or jackets appropriate to the situation.

Rimmer still sorta does that; he wore that nice looking bathrobe in a couple episodes but I definitely see your point

Yes, back in III and IV it felt more like actual clothes and not a costume.

Flap Jack
    Participant

On a scale of Rimmer to The Cat, how often do your change your clothes?

I wonder how Rimmer administers changes to his appearance nowadays, given that the times we’ve seen him do it, he does so by asking Holly.

“Having to ask another sentient being to change you is kind of awkward and Rimmer is really high strung” is actually a decent explanation for the lack of costume changes.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

He’s hard light so really, he could wear his own clothes (pre death) and his costume could be real, save a bit of processing power on Red Dwarf and get a dispenser to give him a IRL uniform.

I wonder if he was so inclined he could take off his jacket and lend it to Lister. Would Lister then be impenetrable with his hard light shell?

Come to think of it, is anyone wearing clothes on Red Dwarf? Maybe they just have hard light projected clothes and the reason they wear the same thing all the time is that they can’t be arsed to model any new clothes.

Taiwan Tony
    Participant

^^ I glanced at that pic and wondered what Vic Reeves was doing in that outfit.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

All I’d change is perhaps make the outfit a bit more reflective – I rather liked the BTE outfit – and replace the black dress shoes he has now with the knee high boots he previously wore.

>On a scale of Rimmer to The Cat, how often do your change your clothes?

Surely it would be on a scale of Kryten to The Cat, since Kryten almost never wears different clothing minus when he went on holiday to Z Deck and other rare occasions

Flap Jack
    Participant

Surely it would be on a scale of Kryten to The Cat, since Kryten almost never wears different clothing minus when he went on holiday to Z Deck and other rare occasions

It’s a fair point, but with very rare exception, Kryten’s outfits aren’t really “clothes” per se, so he’s not on the scale. Rimmer’s clothes are a simulation, but they’re a simulation of clothes.

He’s hard light so really, he could wear his own clothes (pre death) and his costume could be real, save a bit of processing power on Red Dwarf and get a dispenser to give him a IRL uniform.

Interesting idea, but given that it would only save energy if the light bee restricted itself to generating his hands, neck and head (as opposed to generating the rest of his body as naked), would Rimmer even be able to feel anything in the rest of his body, or stop the real physical uniform from just falling to the ground? “Hardlight” definitely implies you only get the hardness if you’re generating the light.

I wonder if he was so inclined he could take off his jacket and lend it to Lister. Would Lister then be impenetrable with his hard light shell?

Come to think of it, is anyone wearing clothes on Red Dwarf? Maybe they just have hard light projected clothes and the reason they wear the same thing all the time is that they can’t be arsed to model any new clothes.

Rimmer wouldn’t be able to give his jacket to Lister, because Rimmer’s body and clothes are all just one projection that the light bee surrounds itself with. Pretty fair to presume that a light bee wouldn’t be able to project a hologram if there’s a solid object between the bee and the intended location of the hologram – e.g. if you locked Rimmer in a room (and he couldn’t convert to softlight or whatever), then he wouldn’t be able to escape by just projecting himself outside the room.

Plus, Rimmer’s light bee is – as far as we know – the only hardlight hologram projection tech they have on board, so trying to generate hardlight objects for other crewmembers to use separate from Rimmer would be quite a challenge.

We never see him take anything off, do we? I’d imagine if he wants to change clothes, it just sort of… happens, like the fried egg chilli chutney sandwich or his hair.

Dax101
    Participant

I say just keep the same outfit. it looks better on Chris then the BTE light blue did and it highlights that Rimmer is a hard light hologram which id rather the show didn’t forget that soft light holograms were a thing.

bloodteller
    Blocked

bit boring if they keep it looking the same forever. the show used to change how it looked completely every couple series, they ought to keep that up.

Flap Jack
    Participant

More outfit variety for Lister too, please. A man is more than a leather jacket.

Paul Muller
    Participant

IMO Rimmer and Lister are both due a bit of a costume update – they’re both looking a bit stale after three series.

For Lister, something a bit more utilitarian I reckon – I know everyone hates that boilersuit thing in VI/VII but something along those lines might work, with a bit more colour. There’s so many patches, patterns and prints on him at the moment it’s difficult to know where to look.

For Rimmer, get rid of the dress shoes, give him some boots, a bit of padding or some alternating fabrics to break it up a bit. Currently, he’s just a very long slab of blue. And yeah, maybe it’s time for a colour change. Yellow or orange I reckon.

That said, I’m probably talking bollocks – I know fuck all about fashion/style.

flanl3
    Participant

Did Lister make that patch of the four of them himself?

Lister seems to be permanently in his leather jacket at the minute, didn’t he take it off sometimes in III-V? I can’t remember off-hand, but I don’t recall ever noticing just how often he wears it.

Dave
    Participant

He wore a bathrobe a few times in III, yes.

bloodteller
    Blocked

the leather jacket must really smell by now. he’s been wearing it for 29 years

Besides the biker jackets, I can recall Lister wearing:

-That one-piece pajama outfit he wears going to bed seen in The Beginning and probably other episodes I can’t remember; he wore something similar in the beginning of Psirens

-That vest with all four of the main characters imprinted on it

>Did Lister make that patch of the four of them himself?

I’d imagine; maybe Kryten made it and gave it to him for his birthday?

>the leather jacket must really smell by now. he’s been wearing it for 29 years

“Laudable? Hmm, you sometimes help me with my laundry duties by turning your underpants inside out and extending the wear time by three weeks.”

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Lister must smell like old cat food and sweaty bollocks unless Lynx Africa is super powerful in the future.

A leather jacket just isn’t comfortable wearing either, not for when you’re just sat on the settee playing games, bit boil in the bag.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

My dad wears a leather jacket all the damn time, it’s not unrealistic.

Lister wears a vest a few times in VI, notably when he wakes up from not-Stasis

Ben Saunders
    Participant

And in VII when he eats his toenails and Kryten tells him he’s lying, if I remember right

clem
    Participant

Maybe that really is Red Dwarf fan art on that shirt of Lister’s, from a universe where, like in BTE, they’re fictional characters. Or maybe Lister made it himself inspired by the events of BTE.

Lily
    Participant

I really don’t like that shirt. It just seems so weirdly meta and self-aware.

bloodteller
    Blocked

i like it, it’s like he likes the others so much that he’s made and worn a tshirt with his weird space family on it

Piplup2003
    Participant

I just wish there were more scenes with him wearing it, I dont think weve had a proper look at it yet..

Warbodog
    Participant

Rimmer’s wipe-clean blue tunic looks inappropriately medical, more Second Hygienist than technician or would-be officer. Sticking him back in the original uniform would make the most character sense, but we’re too far gone from that now, so just another variation on the tunic/padded jacket would be good.

Moonlight
    Participant

Pretty fair to presume that a light bee wouldn’t be able to project a hologram if there’s a solid object between the bee and the intended location of the hologram – e.g. if you locked Rimmer in a room (and he couldn’t convert to softlight or whatever), then he wouldn’t be able to escape by just projecting himself outside the room.

And yet Entangled has him walk through a wall as if his light bee just isn’t there, or as if he really is walking away from it and they couldn’t be arsed to add it floating there. What else could that shake be when he returns if not realigning with it?

idk, I do know one thing tho, he wasn’t purple

flanl3
    Participant

He was supposed to look red, but it was absolutely quite purple.

>it was absolutely quite purple.

You misspelled red

flanl3
    Participant

>You misspelled red

You misspelled spelled purple correctly

>You misspelled spelled purple correctly

I know you are, but what am I?

flanl3
    Participant

>I know you are, but what am I?

You misspelled wow thanks for pointing that out to me I can’t believe I made such a dumb mistake haha silly me lmao ur the best <3

>You misspelled wow thanks for pointing that out to me I can’t believe I made such a dumb mistake haha silly me lmao ur the best <3

You misspelled your

flanl3
    Participant

we interrupt this thread to remind you to never search google images for ‘purple rimmer’

Lily
    Participant

More maroon Rimmer tbh

View post on imgur.com

It verges on purple. I wouldn’t correct anybody who thought it was.

flanl3
    Participant

flanl3
    Participant

well that’s me proper baffled then

Plastic Percy
    Participant

Lister wearing the shirt makes sense, as Howard Burden’s intention with his III redesign was Lister’s art school background, that he is a bit creative and would make his own stuff or customise outfits with badges and pins. It was nice to see it confirmed on-screen in ‘Cured’.

Lister’s art-school background was him turning up for 97 minutes because he thought it’d be a skive and he had no qualifications. I always thought Howard Burden was reading too much into it.

bloodteller
    Blocked

yeah but lister is good at stuff, isn’t he? he learned esperanto just by listening to rimmer being utterly shit at it and he’s fully capable of rebuilding Kryten despite having no engineering qualifications. so i think it’s rather funny that he was at art-school for all of 97 mins and during that time he somehow became rather good at painting etc.

alternatively, in Samsara he states he went to ‘freshers week’ so maybe it’s been retconned that he was actually there for quite a bit longer.

alternatively, in the novels he has a failed GCSE in technical/ g&e drawing, which is sort of an art qualifcation i suppose

GlenTokyo
    Participant

That’s definitely more purple than red. A sort of pucey raspberry colour.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

Lister’s art credentials do go back, he did spend his teenage years doodling beards and mustaches on the sperm pictures in his school textbook.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Why does Rimmer shlurp through that door and turn all silvery? Shouldn’t he just sort of go through it?

bloodteller
    Blocked

but the effect looks really cool

Yes, it should look like his head coming through the table in Stasis Leak really.

Flap Jack
    Participant

And yet Entangled has him walk through a wall as if his light bee just isn’t there, or as if he really is walking away from it and they couldn’t be arsed to add it floating there. What else could that shake be when he returns if not realigning with it?

In softlight mode, the light bee itself becomes hologrammatic, and can therefore pass through stuff along with Rimmer.

Please do not ask any follow-up questions.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

They could’ve just had him faff about with a remote and then made his arms and head stretch away through the wall for the lols.

In softlight mode, the light bee itself becomes hologrammatic, and can therefore pass through stuff along with Rimmer.

“Well, of course, you do have a small physical presence.”

bloodteller
    Blocked

that line was actually “you do have a small physical presents” referring to rimmer’s frugal christmas gift-buying

Flap Jack
    Participant

Err… the light bee only gained the ability to become a hologram in softlight mode when Legion upgraded it? Yeah, sure, let’s go with that.

Please do not make any follow-up… contradictory statements.

cwickham
    Participant

Or the light bee just switched to projection mode or something.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Orange and purple are secondary colours. As is green (Or ‘III’).

Rimmer’s made of light, though, so green is primary for him.

Taiwan Tony
    Participant

Hue’ve got me there!

flanl3
    Participant

(and orange and purple would be tertiary)

bloodteller
    Blocked

they ought to fix his hair before they do his costume. that hairstyle he has in X-XII makes him look like a cunt. though he is mostly a cunt in those series so i suppose its tonally fitting.

his hair looked good in BtE though. can we have that back please

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Did you look behind the fridge? If you lose something it’s nearly always there.

<blockquote cite=”they ought to fix his hair before they do his costume. that hairstyle he has in X-XII makes him look like a cunt. though he is mostly a cunt in those series so i suppose its tonally fitting.

his hair looked good in BtE though. can we have that back please”>

I kinda like his hair in XI-XII; it’s just always under bad lighting. Watch Timewave, his hair at the beginning under good lighting looks really good.

I was under the suspicion Chris used his real hair for BtE?

><blockquote cite=”they ought to fix his hair before they do his costume. that hairstyle he has in X-XII makes him look like a cunt. though he is mostly a cunt in those series so i suppose its tonally fitting.

his hair looked good in BtE though. can we have that back please”>

Well, not the first screw-up concerning computer language and probably not the last. RIP

Yeah, the whole ‘cite’ thing is bollocks, you just need [blockquote]quote goes here[/blockquote], but with the triangular brackets rather than the square ones.

Yeah, the whole ‘cite’ thing is bollocks, you just need [blockquote]quote goes here[/blockquote], but with the triangular brackets rather than the square ones.

thx m8

Dollar Pound
    Participant

green holographic flatcap and waistcoat

Dollar Pound
    Participant

also they should do kryten like that lord of the rings thing

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Rimmer should look like Foggy and Kryten like Compo.

bloodteller
    Blocked

the levi jeans and strange hat from Emohawk

Moonlight
    Participant

Nobody liked Rimmer’s hair in X. Nobody.

Flap Jack
    Participant

All post-Future Echoes Rimmer hairstyles are just hopelessly chasing perfection.

Rimmer should look like Foggy and Kryten like Compo.

Lister should look like Compo, surely? The slob of the group.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Lister should look like Compo, surely? The slob of the group.

He’s quite a dapper slob though nowadays, he’s more of a Cleggy I think.

Hmm, that’s true. Still, I don’t see Kryten as Compo.
    This analogy doesn’t work very well, does it?

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Spare head 3’s deffo a Compo

Plastic Percy
    Participant

Lister – Compo
    Rimmer – Foggy
    Kryten – Seymour
    Kochanski – Nora Batty

clem
    Participant

Green – Howard
    Barker – Marina

Taiwan Tony
    Participant

Crit Cop – Billy Ingleton

clem
    Participant

Professor E – Eli

Plastic Percy
    Participant

Paranoia – Smiler.

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.