Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Silver Dwarf?

Viewing 53 posts - 1 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    si
    Participant

Now, I was obviously going to wait til Wednesday – RD’s *24th* Anniversary – before starting a thread about the 25th Anniversary, but I thought of something this morning that I know I’ll have forgotten by then, so here we are. *ahem*

So, in (just over) a year’s time, we’re going to hit Red Dwarf’s 25th Anniversary, and I was wondering what we were expecting, anticipating or daring to hope for to mark the occasion?

I kind of expect there’ll be a few pieces of merchandise arriving in the autumn anyway with the advent of series X, all just in time for the christmas market, but what do we think will happen next February?

Personally, I’d love a ‘Complete Scripts’ book, from ‘The End’ to X.6, with maybe the Omnibus’s pilot script and Bodysnatcher thrown in, too.

And if Dave are going to give us a bit of something special and/or new, might we see the ‘Unplugged’ thing happening? A new Anniversary episode even? It might match the dizzy heights of Silver Nemesis.

And, after watching the series 1 documentary on the Bodysnatcher Collection, something Doug said about Craig, basically saying that he wasn’t a ‘Romantic lead’ back in 1987 (ie he wasn’t a great actor)… Well, Craig has shown that he’s now a *great* actor – how plausible would it be to get the original cast back together – including Norman (though I doubt if he’d be up for it), Mac and maybe even Claire Grogan, Robert Bathurst, Mark Williams et al and rerecord the first episode? Cut scenes and all? I imagine Craig would nail that canisters scene now (“I never knew you, Grace…”)

Of course, the main problem with this would be the absence of Kryten, but, let’s face it, it’s not very likely anyway, is it?

So, anyway, back to the point: Red Dwarf’s Silver Anniversary – what would you like to see, either in the shops or on-screen?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Excellent thread, si. Blimey, but that’s crept up on us.

I think Dave will probably have a fresh ‘Red Dwarf Night’ with a new documentary (something better than A-Z, hopefully). I think a new story being recorded is unlikely, but an Unplugged type thing would be amazing and it seems more likely to happen.

si
    Participant

> Excellent thread, si.

*blushes*

locusceruleus
    Participant

>And if Dave are going to give us a bit of something special and/or new, might we see the ‘Unplugged’ thing happening?

I really hope so, it sounded like a great idea. Perhaps as the centre-piece of a new Red Dwarf Night?

Carlito
    Participant

Of course, they could always delay RDX til February when they realise the anniversary is coming…..

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I reckon Script books would be an amazing thing to make. In the style of the RDVIII book, and they shouldn’t really change anything in terms of style. i love everything about that book’s look.

If they need anyone to design it…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Would definitely love to see a RDX script book. If they release old ones for the anniversary, it’ll probably work best as a compilation of the most interesting ones, rather than publishing the lot.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Richard Naylor suggested the idea that an RDX book could be made…

RedDwarfFan2982
    Participant

I look forward to future merchandise, I mean there must be some more merch to celebrate the 25th.

I would like to see:
    A character Options figure wave consisting of Lister, Kryten, Rimmer, The Cat (and then maybe Kochanski or two figures based around any guest characters from Series X)
    Just the scripts book as said
    New models (Would be cool if Airfix did a Mother ship or Starbug Model)
    RC Skutter

As for anniversary specials, I would lke to see unplugged, it would be a very funny. Also stuff lke can’t smeg won’t smeg but with something different or wirh other game shows like would I lie to you or argumental.

A hour long special would be good if it’s possible, I mean it would only take about two weeks to do so, but I won’t hold out for anything more than unplugged at the moment.

Oh, and one more thing, another addition to smeg up/outs based around the outakes from series VII-BTE-X

locusceruleus
    Participant

>If they release old ones for the anniversary, it’ll probably work best as a compilation of the most interesting ones, rather than publishing the lot.

May as well just reprint Primordial Soup and Son Of Soup in that case.

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

I think Unplugged would be the best thing, as it would be unique. It’s something that would work very well, that not many other shows could get away with doing, as unlike Dwarf they don’t have the entire main cast with live performance backgrounds.

Plus i think with the DVDs we’ve got all the retrospective documentaries we could ever want. I don’t think there’s anything new that could really be done. Not to mention the Comedy Connections programme and A-Z.

Alex
    Participant

Well in the past Dave/ Gold have done good jobs with their celebration weekends for the likes of Fawlty Towers and The Royle Family. Going by what those weekends consisted of, I’d hope they would do something similar featuring things like:

– 2 nights showing the best episodes, either of Doug’s choosing or from a poll.
    – A making of documentary. It’d never be as good as what’s on the DVDs, but it would feel odd not to have one when all the other themed weekends seem to.
    – A best of clips show with talking heads like the one for Fawlty Towers where Cleese picked his favorite moments and explained why he liked them and his memories of writting and filming them.
    – A special like the Unplugged idea which doesn’t require a large investment for sets etc.
    – Specially filmed links like we had for BtE
    – A healthy smattering of the Dave material. They are the ones putting up the cash these days afterall, so the material made just for them should be prominent.

John Hoare
    Participant

If there was ever another scriptbook – for whatever series – I’d love to see it go down the Father Ted route, and use the *penultimate* drafts, rather than the final. With lots and lots and lots of footnotes.

Yeah, yeah, never gonna happen. But then we said that about models and RDX, too…

si
    Participant

God, I love that Father Ted scriptbook. I can laugh at that for hours.

Red Dwarf merch? I think figures would be nice. A radio controlled Skutter? It’d look pretty, but I can’t see it happening unless they turn up in RDX. How about Lego/Character Building Red Dwarf? How many little green bricks does it take to build a Starbug?

As for model kits, the Sheffield Space Centre had the Kryten model, plus the Duane Dibbley and Rimmer models for *years* and I just couldn’t afford them. Then, one day, I went to get the Duane Dibbley model – I think it was fairly cheap (not *cheap* cheap, it was still £15 or something), and they’d finally sold them all. :/

HelloMabel
    Participant

If I could just get a Zone 1 DVD of Bodysnatcher I’d be so grateful.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I had the Duane and Rimmer models. Made a complete pig’s ear of painting them (repeatedly) and chucked them out. What a Dibbley.

Blisschick
    Participant

What Mabel said.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

At this stage it’d be wise to just import it and pay for a region-free DVD player. They honestly aren’t that expensive.

thomasaevans
    Participant

I would give up my liver for a collection of Red Dwarf figures and playsets – have you seen what Mattel are producing for the Ghostbusters films atm? Some of the best figures and accessories I’ve ever seen.

As far as the show? Another series running through the anniversary would be (probably impossible but) brilliant. The idea to rerecord the pilot Is superb – never gonna happen, but superb. Books and documentaries are always welcome.

thomasaevans
    Participant

OOO Here’s a goodie – how about a Red Dwarf radio show – a new script performed by all the cast ‘with a live audience’ like the traditional BBC radio shows live for BBC Radio 4Extra?

p2p_productions
    Participant

si
    Participant

How about something new – be it script, show, 5-10 minute sketch, book, whatever – with input from Rob Grant? How likely do we think he would be involved with any anniversary celebrations? I started rereading Backwards last night, and that is a damned fine book. Difficult to believe that until the Bodysnatcher collection, that was his last Dwarf work.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I would give up my liver for a collection of Red Dwarf figures and playsets – have you seen what Mattel are producing for the Ghostbusters films atm? Some of the best figures and accessories I’ve ever seen.

We have a “Gozer the Destroyer!” in the office. It’s bloody spectacular. All squishy and marshmallow-y, and the box it comes in unfolds to become a New York diorama. Absolutely stunning.

HelloMabel
    Participant

>How about something new – be it script, show, 5-10 minute sketch, book, whatever – with input from Rob Grant? How likely do we think he would be involved with any anniversary celebrations? I started rereading Backwards last night, and that is a damned fine book. Difficult to believe that until the Bodysnatcher collection, that was his last Dwarf work.

I do think they were a brilliant team and it might be nice to see them collaborate again – but on something other than a show. I feel strongly that the show is Doug’s thing now. Going by the rdx set reports, he’s apparently written the best stuff yet since going solo. Bringing Rob back to cowrite a show would drudge up all the old complaining about great RD “used to be.”

PS: will belatedly add my voice to the chorus of “Great thread, Si.” (:

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I’d love to see them reunite for another Red Dwarf novel, but then that raises the question of which third book to pick up from. Backwards is my preference, but that’s just me.

thomasaevans
    Participant

Ben your so right! I saw that Dana Is being released this year on top of that stone table (toward the end of the film).

A Bailey
    Participant

Picking up from either book would be difficult given their situations. It is interesting that both of them separately turned Rimmer into a hero though.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I’ve always wanted a Rob Grant book picking up from Backwards. Cat and Lister are both 15 but it still lends itself more to re-establishing the characters to their status quo than Last Human.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I’ve never understood the point of de-aging Lister and Cat to their teens and having them stranded on Backworld for so long. It just seems to be justification for that sex scene.

si
    Participant

Heh. You know I said I was rereading Backwards? I’ve just reached the sex scene. Tee-hee.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I’ve never understood the point of de-aging Lister and Cat to their teens and having them stranded on Backworld for so long. It just seems to be justification for that sex scene.

Yeah, likewise. It creates a lot of unnecessary awkwardness in the second half of the book, when stuff that should clearly be happening to them as adults has them as teenagers instead.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Yeah, likewise. It creates a lot of unnecessary awkwardness in the second half of the book, when stuff that should clearly be happening to them as adults has them as teenagers instead.

I like the idea of them missing their first window and having to wait for another, making the Cat adapt to living in a backwards world for longer than he’d like, but 10 years is far, far too much.

I think Grant and Naylor are susceptible to throwing large numbers around that end up being problematic. Lister spends way, way too many years on Garbage World in Better than Life, and then again in Backwards world, so you end up with a character that has lived so much and we barely experience any of it with him.

Potor
    Participant

I agree. I always wished there were a few more chapters of Lister on Garbage World.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

Kryten does point out in ‘Backwards’ that, thanks to time travel, Lister is physically 15 but mentally 107.

Pongo
    Participant

I’d like another Rob Grant novel. And to see the Unplugged idea to come to fruition. Both please.

MANI506
    Participant

There’s room for a massive celebratory coffee table book I’d say. Like The Beatles Anthology book etc.

White Hole remastered as well.

Paul Muller
    Participant

The Movie script and preproduction/art dept stuff in a lovely big book.

pfm
    Participant

> The Movie script and preproduction/art dept stuff in a lovely big book.

Plus, the Movie. ;)

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Actually, I’d still really like to see an extended cut of Holoship. Maybe for the 25th anniversary?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Hmmm. There’s an idea.

Any chance of uploading Red Dwarf content to YouTube and it not being removed straight away?

Ridley
    Participant

You can keep it on there for at least two years. At which point someone from here will rat you out.

si
    Participant

Having just found some old RD Calendars (http://yfrog.com/obsy8erj), I think an Anniversary Year calendar is a must.

Incidentally – that 2003 calendar is actually for the Australia/New Zealand market (dunno how I got hold of it) – did we have one over here that year? And while I’ve got those 2007-09 calendars, what other years have we had Red Dwarf calendars? I don’t think there were any in the early 90’s, but did we have any around series 7/8 or the 10th anniversary?

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

Any chance of uploading Red Dwarf content to YouTube and it not being removed straight away?

I don’t know if anyone remembers, but i did that Directors Cut of BtE literally a couple of days after it had been broadcast on Dave, as well as that vid adding a fake studio audience to it. Not only did they not remove it, but i think people like Bobby even linked to it.

I took the Directors Cut off YouTube for that reason, as it was nice not to have it forcedly removed, and so felt bad that i could potentially be losing GNP sales of the DVD. I kept the audience laughter vid on though. Unfortunately i lost the directors cut when i had to make space on my hard drive. Shame really, i was really happy with it, and was surprised when the actual Directors Cut edits were almost exactly the same, even down to removing single beats in editing.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I just tried uploading something copyrighted (yeah, naughty me). YouTube/Google’s copyright filters are now so advanced they had flagged it up as an infringement within about 10 minutes. I applaud their efforts.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Double post

Alex
    Participant

Incidentally – that 2003 calendar is actually for the Australia/New Zealand market (dunno how I got hold of it) – did we have one over here that year? And while I’ve got those 2007-09 calendars, what other years have we had Red Dwarf calendars? I don’t think there were any in the early 90’s, but did we have any around series 7/8 or the 10th anniversary?

There were calenders for 95, 96, 97, 98, none in 99, then 2000, 2003 etc if I remember right. The 98 one came with a small cardboard standee of either starbug or Rimmer in his Holoship outfit (which is the one I have).

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

I just tried uploading something copyrighted (yeah, naughty me). YouTube/Google’s copyright filters are now so advanced they had flagged it up as an infringement within about 10 minutes. I applaud their efforts.

Tip. I noticed that UK uploads of US series on YouTube don’t tend to get torn down because of the fact that the NTSC to PAL Conversion speeds up the audio by just over 4%. So whatever system they use must scan the audio in a Shazam type way. So if ever i have to upload anything with a copywritten track in it, i speed up the track by just over 4%, and it never gets taken down :) Most people don’t notice the difference.

Alex
    Participant

Tip. I noticed that UK uploads of US series on YouTube don’t tend to get torn down because of the fact that the NTSC to PAL Conversion speeds up the audio by just over 4%. So whatever system they use must scan the audio in a Shazam type way. So if ever i have to upload anything with a copywritten track in it, i speed up the track by just over 4%, and it never gets taken down :) Most people don’t notice the difference.

Shame that hasn’t worked for the videos some berk has uploaded of every single documentary from the DVDs, along with other assorted extras. For someone that has an account claiming to be a massive fan it’s an incredibly stupid thing to have done.

si
    Participant

> The 98 one came with a small cardboard standee of either starbug or Rimmer in his Holoship outfit (which is the one I have)

Ah yes! I had that too! These calendars must in my infamous Lost Bag Of Stuff.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>i speed up the track by just over 4%, and it never gets taken down :)

Ah, ta. I ended up using an alternate site, but that’s worth bearing in mind.

clem
    Participant

> God, I love that Father Ted scriptbook.

Me too. The deleted scenes with Jeep Hebrides from Song for Europe are fantastic.

anniescribe
    Participant

I’d really just be happy if the Bodysnatcher Collection were rereleased and more widely, cheaply available.

But I’ll take Rob helping write a new episode or season, as a consolation, if not that. ;-)

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Somewhere in my house, we have the Father Ted script book. I want to read the Father Ted Script book. If i don’t find the Father Ted script book soon i will be buying another Father Ted Script book.

Viewing 53 posts - 1 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.