Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum SKYWARD FUCKING SWORD

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Hoare
    Participant

Phil:

Admittedly not very far. I lost interest rather quickly I think, and the experience just wasn’t fun enough for me to want to continue. I’d get into specifics but I don’t want to rain on anybody’s parade (or further derail the thread…I’d be up for discussing it more thoroughly in a Skyward Sword thread, if anyone wanted to make one)…suffice it to say that the guidance is overbearing, the amount of dialogue was overshadowing interactivity by what felt like a factor of ten, and the motion controls were utter garbage. imho, of course.

You definitely have a point with the guidance. No problem with any of it being in the game, but you should have to *ask* Fi for instructions, not just be given them, or have NPCs tell you things. Especially with the colour change highlighting the information, and a little ding sound to indicate to PAY ATTENTION. As it is, I’ve not been stuck on nearly enough of the puzzles.. and getting stuck and then getting past it is half the fun.

I understand why Nintendo did it – when you’re not attuned to the Zelda mindset, things that seem easy three or four Zelda games in can seem massively unintuitive. I got stuck on shitloads of things on my first Zelda game, Twilight Princess – nearly all of them things I wouldn’t bat an eyelid with now. But the help should be optional.

I do think you probably have a dodgy Motionplus controller though. I think the combat is superb – the best I’ve ever experienced in a game.

Michaeldrayson
    Participant

I am not a massive fan of the combat, yet others I know praise it massively! I have enjoyed this game so far, but I agree if combat is really that bad I’d check or borrow a friends motionplus to see if its an issue with yours?

Ridley
    Participant

Can my comment from the other thread get moved here, then?

The, y’know, one on this topic that had just as much depth.

Well it was on this topic.

It was a comment.

Technically.

Phil
    Participant

I don’t want to plop a long bitchfest at the top of this thread (though I’ll probably end up divulging a few more complaints as it goes on) but I do think John hit on the real nature of my complaint: it should be optional.

There was a lot of huffing and puffing over the Super Guide feature in New Super Mario Bros Wii and Super Mario Galaxy 2 (and others?) but I had no problem with them because…ahem…they were optional. They’d show up when you were having trouble, and if you needed them they were there. If you were too proud, you could ignore them totally, which I did 100% of the time.

I can’t ignore Fi. I sit through long conversations with a character in which he tells me exactly what he needs, and why, and how I can do it, and then when he finally shuts up Fi materializes to tell me again what that character needs, and why, and how I can do it…sometimes with a cut-scene appended so that, you know, I don’t actually have to play the game I bought. I can just sit back and let characters explain it to me. Fun.

And while I didn’t make it far in the game before throwing in the towel, it really felt like I couldn’t even walk very far without the stupid chime and flashing indicator telling me that Fi had something incredibly obvious to say. For whatever reason, I couldn’t ignore this. That’s not optional to me…or, at least, not fairly optional. It’s annoying and you need to activate the hint just to get the beeping to go away, which traps you in some extended explanation of a simple concept that could be condensed to “Press B to do this.”

I agree that most “standard” Zelda puzzle solutions would baffle a newcomer to the series, but I 100% feel that this is a problem for level design to solve…not an excuse to have a companion shout solutions at you. I’m playing Minish Cap right now for the first time and that game is full of items and environments I haven’t seen in other Zelda games, meaning the puzzles are often unique from my other Zelda experiences. But level design, be it floor tiles leading the eye in a particular direction so that you focus on the solution without realizing it, or rooms designed to look like OTHER rooms that had more obvious solutions triggering similar responses in your brain, does the job.

Okay, granted, the fucking hat won’t shut up either, but at least his interruptions are brief. Fi’s “Is this the emotion you humans call…LOVE?” schtick got old in 12 seconds. I get it. You’re cold and detached. Fuck off.

And, hey, for someone so cold and detached you certainly can’t seem to get enough of me.

So, yeah, that’s round one of my blah blah worthless ranting shit.

The Motion Plus I have definitely worked great at one point…it may have fried before I bought Skyward Sword though. I’m willing to assume it has, as I don’t hear complaints about the controls like I should if everyone was wrestling with them the way I was.

Even so, I can’t imagine they were really necessary, nor do I think they’d improve the standard button pushing experience I had with other titles. I remember the sword pulling sequence early in this game. I couldn’t even make sense of what the god-damned prompts were trying to get me to do, and that was just irritating. I figured it out eventually, but by the time I did, the “make a sword pulling motion yourself at home!” gimmick wasn’t so much charming or immersive as it was a very large obstacle between me and what should have been (and what usually is) one of the most glorious sequences in the game.

pfm
    Participant

It’s a colossally awesome game! I’ve just got past the big cutscene with Zelda after the 6th dungeon. 40 hours of play, hah!! Throw in the towel? Balls.

I now can’t imagine playing Zelda in any other way. Seriously, how boring is combat going to seem without these motion controls?? It’s what we always dreamed the Wii Remote was capable of.

Ridley
    Participant

How far did you get into it, Mr. Reed?

I dislike the Avatar bird flight. Not a fan of motion controls and the speed of the bird feels slow even with the boosts. Reminds me of the complaints Wind Waker’s sailing got and I was surprised to see it back in some form.

Hope Ghirahim doesn’t go all Zant on me.

Phil
    Participant

>How far did you get into it, Mr. Reed?

Not far I’m sure. My save file told me that I was just north of 6 hours in my playtime, but it didn’t feel like I accomplished much. To be honest I’m aware that 6 hours isn’t very long for a video game, but it IS a long time to be doing something that you don’t enjoy. And, for whatever reason, Skyward Sword just wasn’t very fun.

I’ve had people tell me that it gets better after a certain point. That’s great, but I don’t really have the time or desire to keep pushing at something I’m not enjoying in the hopes that it will eventually be more fun. If it takes 10 hours to get to anything interesting, then either this isn’t the game for me, or those first 10 hours of the game need to be seriously reworked, because that’s a hell of an investment to ask of a player before they’re allowed to decide whether or not they like it.

I hated Twilight Princess. Hated, hated, hated Twilight Princess. But, ultimately, I finished it. I couldn’t begin to explain why, but I was compelled to see it through to the end. It had its hooks in me, somehow. Skyward Sword, for what it’s worth, couldn’t even grip me enough to even make it to the halfway or quarter point, and I tried. Those six hours or so comprised quite a few individual play sessions (I rarely have time to play a game for more than a half hour or so at a time), and each time I tried to get myself to like it. I just never succeeded. It wasn’t a single play session that didn’t go well…it was a dozen play sessions that I wanted more than anything to enjoy, but couldn’t.

That may say more about me than it says about the game, but, hey, that’s where we are.

EDIT: And yes flying the bird was also shit.

Ridley
    Participant

Sounds like you’re right around where I started getting into the hang of things. Y’know, after the hell of bird flight, Pikachu and multiple attempts at catching a damn rope. I hate motion controls, Phil, I hate ’em!

So… what have you got against Twilight Princess apart from the postman? ;)

Seriously, how boring is combat going to seem without these motion controls??

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/33313/aonuma-future-zelda-games-will-use-skyward-sword-controls/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.