Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum The Doctor Who Spoilers Thread – Part III

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 320 total)
  • Author
    John Hoare
    Participant

This thread continues this discussion. Careful, now.

John Hoare
    Participant

As for my reactions to the episode – I loved it. I would need to watch it again before I can judge people’s criticisms of the episode – but on a first watch, I was too busy bouncing up and down and being hugely excited by it.

Tate *did* do some of the stuff that usually annoys me, but – oddly enough – it didn’t, this time round. In fact, I even laughed at some of her lines! Ah well, it only took me 10 weeks…

Somebody
    Participant

Meh – 324 posts? Amateurs :p

Andrew:
    I think you?re wrong. The reason some people are focussing on the arc is because of how little the stand alone aspects of the ep succeed. For a story that was supposed to show Donna?s Great Importance, what it actually showed was how dead we?d be without the Doctor. She saved his life once – so have loads of companions (and guest characters), so much as his life CAN be saved – and that?s really not enough to grant her this mythic status.

Well, quite.

Moreover, there’s no indication that the Doctor came so close to (effectively) suicide between TRB and S&J, or between VotD and PiC, when he was travelling without a companion- Doomsday/TRB was just his One Bad Day. And, for a basically Rational (as opposed to magic-dominated) universe like DW, putting “fate” and “prophecy” into things… doesn’t really work.

Although, of course, episodes like the terminally horrid Shakespeare Code chip away at that foundation.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Donna was an odd choice for this type of story as, thanks to the fact that she went AWOL for 14 episodes after her first appearance, she already was a mere witness to Smith and Jones and Voyage of the Damned.

On a similar note, wasn’t there a line in TRB where the Doctor was trying to remind her of the crazy things that had happened during Series 1 and 2 and she pretty much said she hadn’t been paying attention? (I’ve only seen TRB once as I thought it was pretty awful…so I might be wrong). Glad she bucked up her ideas in this alternate reality.

Somebody
    Participant

Not so much “a line” as “[poor] running gag” (scuba-diving in Spain during Army of Ghosts/Doomsday, for instance)

You will note, however, that she was prompted to notice practically everything here (it was only Wilf’s intervention that made her realise what the labour camps were, for instance). About the only exception was the equivalent of the TRB events themselves.

ChrisM
    Participant

Concerning that teaser clip, I thought it interesting the mention of “Children of time”, particularly the plurality since as far as we know for certain there is only one Time lord, 2 if you include the Doctor’s daughter. (Ok, maybe 3 if the master makes a comeback in some form.)

It might just refer to the Doctor’s companions of course… or just people in general as products of time (but that would include the speaker too right? Why would he speak specifically as if it were someone other?)

I’m probably putting too much importance in a line phrased to sound melodramatic though.

And I love the voice.

Andrew
    Participant

> It might just refer to the Doctor?s companions of course

Well, yes.

ChrisM
    Participant

>> It might just refer to the Doctor?s companions of course

>Well, yes.

But you wouldn’t think an ego like that would consider them particularly a threat. It just seemed like he was referring to more (in his mind I mean) somehow.

Your probably right and it’s just a melodramatic comment. Just speculating.

Andrew
    Participant

> But you wouldn?t think an ego like that would consider them particularly a threat.

All he says is that the children of time “are moving against us”. Not “Fuck me, we’re doomed, we’re doomed! Women and one-armed biomechanoids first!” Not big with the melodrama, just a statement of fact; in fact he seems to regard it as part of the plan.

The Doctor’s (younger) companions. Who have travelled in time. Fighting against Davros and his Daleks. It’s not TARDIS science.

Still, I think the fact that you now believe it IS Davros means we’ve come a long way… ;-)

ChrisM
    Participant

All he says is that the children of time ?are moving against us?. Not ?Fuck me, we?re doomed, we?re doomed! Women and one-armed biomechanoids first!?
    Not big with the melodrama, just a statement of fact; in fact he seems to regard it as part of the plan.

Smartypants (although the highlighted bit did make me laugh.) Point taken. I guess I’m just interested in seeing more links with the other time lords and The Great Time War and I’m grasping at straws.

Still you’ll eat those words when Romana jumps out of a tissue-box (tardises can look like anything remember) and flashes Davros diverting his attention at a crucial plot point.

>Still, I think the fact that you now believe it IS Davros means we?ve come a long way? ;-)

Hey, I was just going by the evidence available at the time, which was a vague silhouette (whilst the rest of you were grabbing spoilers from the rest of the web. Not that I haven’t done that before mind you.) There’s been a bit more evidence since then. Like the bloke with laryngitis in that clip.

Dave
    Participant

I didn’t play last time around:

Smith And Jones>Rose>New Earth>Partners In Crime
    Tooth And Claw>The Flames Of Pompeii>The Shakespeare Code>The End Of The World
    The Unquiet Dead>Gridlock>School Reunion>Planet Of The Ood
    Slitheen x2>Sontaran x2>Cybermen x2>Dalek x2
    The Girl In The Fireplace>Dalek>The Lazarus Experiment>The Doctor?s Daughter
    The Long Game>The Unicorn And The Wasp>The Idiot’s Lantern>42
    Blink>Midnight>Love & Monsters>Father?s Day
    Human Nature>Silence In the Library>The Empty Child>The Satan Pit
    Utopia>Turn Left>Boom Town>Fear Hear
    Parting of the Ways>Sound of Drums>Doomsday
    The Christmas Invasion>The Runaway Bride>Voyage Of The Damned
    Time Crash>The Infinite Quest>Children in Need 2005

Andrew
    Participant

> Hey, I was just going by the evidence available at the time

Um, I wasn’t going from great big spoilers. I was going from the twin factors of ‘we haven’t seen Davros yet’ and ‘who has the bottom half of a dalek and a single glowing eye?’ as per the trailer…

ChrisM
    Participant

A dalek?

But no, top in shadow, I see your point.

It wasn’t so much that I disbelieved it could be him, more I wasn’t convinced was. I was just so sure I could see the cone shape silhouette continuing up into the shadow… (particularly on the left.) On seeing the picture of him here, I think it must have been that curving bit at his back (or his shoulder maybe.) Or I was just seeing things… which is likely the case.

But anyway, I’m glad to be wrong.

Dave
    Participant

Hands up who thought the name Turn Left was going to be a reference to Atmos SatNavs?

I did.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Well, no. It was a good title though. ;-)

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

I did. *raises hand*

And I thought “midnight” was going to involve the stars going out.

Anyone think it’s possible that Donna might have a fob watch?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

If Donna has a fob watch, the show has officially jumped every shark possible.

See also : if Harriet Jones is a Dalek.

See also : if a “second Doctor” regenerates from the severed hand and goes off to live with Rose in the parallel universe.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

It wouldn’t bother me too much. The Doctor transformed into a well-spoken bumbling coward when he turned into a human. Possible that a time lady could become a shouty cockerney.

And Harriet Jones being a Dalek…seems reasonable enough.

All depends on how they handle it.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

On the subject of this week’s episode….anyone else think that Billie wasn’t very good?

Her teeth seemed to have grown and now seem to be too big for her mouth….resulting in some strange speech anomalies.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

See Also : Bees being used as Daleks

>On the subject of this week?s episode?.anyone else think that Billie wasn?t very good?

This is also the subject of the first two seasons.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

>This is also the subject of the first two seasons.

Teeheehoddleho.

;)

I hope they do make something of the bees… maybe Davros is collecting them and using them to carry some kind of virus. Like what the X-Files done.

Or maybe he’s become a bee keeper.

Which would explain this leaked press shot:

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Possible that a time lady could become a shouty cockerney.

And so her parents and grandfather… what, appeared out of thin air?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

She’s obviously been made human and the memories of her “family” have been changed to protect her from Davros. He wants to use her to open the door to the other alternate universes.

John Hoare
    Participant

I didn’t notice a thing wrong with Billie’s performance, to be honest. Or anything to do with her teeth. I thought she was wonderful.

The beetle was a bit crap when the camera lingered on it though (I think the fleeting shots worked fine, especially just the glimpses of leg), although it reminded me enough of old Who that I just smiled and it didn’t bother me. It needed to be slimed down to look better, I think.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

You need to be slimmed down to look better.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Did feel a bit like recycling ideas since it had nothing to do with Planet of the Spiders in the end…

ChrisM
    Participant

I didn?t notice a thing wrong with Billie?s performance, to be honest. Or anything to do with her teeth. I thought she was wonderful.

Hear hear! And I think her acting ability has improved if anything. I think her stint in other shows in the meantime has probably been to her benefit (although I think she got better at the end of her role in Who.) Not that I disliked her to begin with.

Dave
    Participant

I thought her accent was more mockney than ever and her teeth looked like they were getting bigger and bigger.

I was still happy to have her back though.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Heehee! Found a fan fiction that deals with her new lisp!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4343427/1/Secrets

I still love Billie, even if she is a tooth mental.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Except it’s not a lisp. It was more of a tooth-whistling thing.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Indeed.

It even made the news!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/2182328/Doctor-Who-star-Billie-Piper-in-TV-mystery.html

Poor girl. It’s enough to give her a complex.

performingmonkey
    Participant

She was speaking fine on the Confidential episode. Obviously she had to get that sorted out and fast if she was gonna have a credible career! It WASN’T to do with her trying to do Rose’s voice.

ChrisM
    Participant

I didn’t notice the lisp at all.

I did notice that she sounds a bit different, but I just put that down to character progression, i.e. she’s a quieter, more serious, more experienced version of Rose to the one we knew. Sure, that doesn’t mean a person’s accent would change… but it makes sense she might give up some of her, er, chavisms (for want of a better word) after a while being in a formal environment like Torchwood (it seems much more formal than the laid back version Captain Jack, er, captains in this reality.)

In short it didn’t strike me as much of a contradiction. And I didn’t notice the teeth.

Dave
    Participant

>And I didn?t notice the teeth

Take the sunglasses off indoors

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I didn’t notice anything at all.

> I didn?t notice anything at all.

How could you not?
    Her teeth stick out half an inch more than they did before.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Jesus, seen the brief clip that was on Blue Peter, of the “Crucible” and whatnot? This looks FUCKING EPIC – the massive fuck-off finale we’ve always been promised but never *quite* got. It seems that part one is the big epic on Earth, and part two is the big epic in space…

Dave
    Participant
    ChrisM
    Participant

>Take the sunglasses off indoors

Ironically I actually do wear sunglasses when I watch TV.

I have an excuse though, I’m short-sighted and they’re prescription sunglasses. (I lost the original pair a while back.)

I went to see the Incredible Hulk today. And I wore the sunglasses. I thought the big bright screen would compensate ok, and it mostly did… but the shadowy scenes were a bit of a nuisance.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

> > I didn?t notice anything at all.

> http://doctorwho.time-and-space.co.uk/coppermine/displayimage.php?pid=84…

Heath Ledger is going to be brilliant in this.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

This is a fucking good scene :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/episodes/?episode=S4_12&character=&action=videostream&playlist=/doctorwho/playlists/s4_12/video/s4_12_trl_03.xml&video=1&date=&summary=Exterminate.&info=&info2=&info3=&tag_file_id=s4_12_trl_03

I honestly think this is going to be Russell’s best finale yet. And I think he’s going to finally shut everyone up about overuse of the Daleks, because as with series one, I think he’s making them scary as fuck once more.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

***Looking forward to being shut up***

Andrew
    Participant

> This is a fucking good scene

Christ that’s powerful!

The best Dalek episodes have always spent time showing you how scared everyone is – people whose opinions you trust. This is working up be being the ultimate version of that. If the episode runs true to this kind of form, we’re in for a hell of a ride.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Bear in mind that’s Jack, an invulnerable man, being confronted with the *one* thing that’s ever killed him. And Sarah Jane seeing Daleks again is just a mega, mega moment. I *really* hope she winds up in the same room as Dave at some point.

Basically, the trailers/clips this week have done the job on me that the last ten minutes of Utopia did last year. My excitement is at utter, utter fever pitch.

Incidentally, it’s probably as much of a red herring as the Astrid/TARDIS thing, given that RTD came up with her name long before he’ll have planned the series four arc or known she was coming back (you’d think), but… “Donna” is Italian for “lady”. And she keeps going on about how she’s just a “temp”… “temp”… “lady”…?

(I don’t believe it for a second. But it’s fun!)

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Wonder if Donna will be revealed to be a time lady and River Song was a future incarnation?

Andrew
    Participant

> Basically, the trailers/clips this week have done the job on me that the last ten minutes of Utopia did last year. My excitement is at utter, utter fever pitch.

I can’t disagree – and for all my reservations about the episode, Turn Left’s “Bad Wolf” moment totally ramped up my enthusiasm.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Have you seen the new DWM?

It comes in a bag, because it has a free book, and when you open it up… the text on the actual cover has all been replaced with BAD WOLF.

(or that might just be the subscriber version, I’m not sure)

performingmonkey
    Participant

> Wonder if Donna will be revealed to be a time lady and River Song was a future incarnation?

That would be fantastic. A regeneration into River Song, how utterly crazy would that be?? But IMO we’re never meant to know who River Song is, just as we’ll never hear the Doctor’s name. Also, it’s implied that River and the Doctor were intimate and that’s hardly likely to happen with Donna. She’s the only other companion, the only other cast member period(!), who hasn’t wanted to get it on with the Doctor.

> and for all my reservations about the episode, Turn Left?s ?Bad Wolf? moment totally ramped up my enthusiasm.

Well bully for you.

Andrew
    Participant

> It comes in a bag, because it has a free book, and when you open it up? the text on the actual cover has all been replaced with BAD WOLF.

Gen-i-us!

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Wonder if Donna will be revealed to be a time lady and River Song was a future incarnation?

River would have recognised her if she was a past incarnation, shurely?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster
    Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I really, really, really hope that’s not subscribers-only! I’ll have a look in Smiths tonight and report back…

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Yeah, likewise. I want to see what books they’re doing with it, anyway. Smiths in Victoria didn’t have them in yet this morning, but the shelf space was clear so I’ll check tonight.

Michael Warren
    Participant

It’s mostly Target novelisations, plus The Making of Doctor Who, Terry Nation’s Dalek Special and The Adventures of K9 and Other Mechanical Creatures. There are 27 books in total available.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Hahaha, I’ve got that K9 book! At least, I used to have it, years and years ago.

Yeah, just checked out a list someone posted on OG. Gutted there’s no Remembrance, I really wanted that one. Not sure if I’ll pick the mag up now, although it almost seems worth it for that cover…

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I can confirm that the Bad Wolf cover is sold in shops. I got one with The Green Death. Thus I win.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Very very spoilery stuff for next two episodes…and the specials next year from someone who claims to have an inside source…could be bollocks and, indeed, some sounds bollocks… but some sounds potentially accurate…

SO POTENTIALLY VERY SPOILERY….

REALLY, THESE ARE BIG SPOILERS….SKIP THIS POST IF YOU DON’T WANT TO KNOW…

HERE THEY COME!

READY?

STILL READING?

Ok….

– Rose and the Doctor do not meet until the last five minutes of episode 12: The Stolen Earth, in which as the Doctor runs towards Rose he is shot by a Dalek. The left side of his chest glows and he slumps to the floor. Rose shoots the Dalek and goes to the Doctor, begging him not to die. Jack and Donna come to them and carry the Doctor to the TARDIS where he starts to regenerate…[end of episode 12]

– As the Doctor regenerates at the beginning of episode 13 the regeneration energy sparks out and hits the Doctor’s hand in the glass jar which he now has in the TARDIS. This causes the regeneration to go badly wrong, causing the Tenth Doctor to remain the Tenth Doctor, and the hand grows into a duplicate of the Tenth Doctor. So, two David Tennant’s are running around episode 13.

– The proper Doctor is still in the his brown suit. And Ten’s duplicate wears the blue suit. However, the duplicate in the blue suit is human and not a Time Lord…or Gallifreyan.

– Donna dies, but the Doctor goes back in time and saves her life and ends up wiping her memory of everything she has done with him, so she doesn’t remember who he is.

– At the end of episode 13, Rose goes back to her parallel world where the human duplicate of the Tenth Doctor stays with her, and gets to live the life that the proper Doctor has never had. Basically, the 10/Rose shippers get their ending even if its not the real Doctor. The duplicate of Ten is only human so only has a life-span of a human, so Rose gets her happy ending with a “fake Doctor”.

– Mickey and Martha will be in 5 Torchwood specials which will represent series 3.

2009 Specials Spoilers!!!

– The Master does not appear in the Series 4 finale, however he is set to appear in the 2009 specials. He was originally lined up to appear in Series 4 but is not now.

– The sea-devils are also set to reappear in the specials….

– One special will air at Easter 2009. The other three (there is now four in 2009) will be a three-parter, airing over the Christmas period, with part one on Xmas Day, part 2 on Boxing Day and Part 3 on New Years Day in 2010. (So one of the specials will air in 2010..)

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Started reading, stopped quickly.

It’s a shame the spoilers are suddenly spilling out. They were doing a pretty good job in stopping them. For a while.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

That botched regneration idea has been going round for AGES. I’ll believe it when I see it.

And although I could see that happening, the Rose/Ten “shipper” ending would be the worst moment in TV history if it came to pass. I could no longer feel like the show was being made for anyone other than stupid simpering fan-fiction-writing TWATS.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Speaking of which… how about these for some excellent ideas? Found them on a Doctor Who fan fiction website. Spelling errors left intact:

Episode 1 The Quake
    The Doctor takes Donna to 1985 Northumberland where it is the miners strike in the mines people are going missing getting turned into coal by a coal monster and turning into coal dust.

2 – dark matter
    the doctors home truths and dark secrets are brought back to haunght him!

Episode 4 The Odd Web
    A web falls to earth and some very odd eggs fall out and it’s the Racnoss but then they turn into ood then slitheen then daleks then rose. The doctor finds out it’s a shpeshifter and when it keeps changing faster and faster it becomes a bomb.
    The doctor thinks of Rose and runs off and cries.

(I love the idea of ‘odd eggs’ as a weapon.)

Episode 12 The Gallifrian Rings
    The Doctor takes Donna back to earth to see if The Master had still any chance of living. But when The Doctor notices The Masters ring has disapered. So The Doctor and Donna go to investigate only to realise that The Doctor is again not alone.

Episode 13 The Duplicate Power
    Now with The Doctor held stuck in The ….’s labatory. Donna realises that she must steal the rings to stop the triplacate powers. But must travel the world in the TARDIS using the Doctor’s thought to control it. Donna must find the rings fast or the human race will be duplicated to death. But now all the …. needs is The Doctor’s ring. The …. mean the Rani The Rani is a time lord like The Master. Evil and is very good at disguising.

(Duplicated to death?)

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>The doctor thinks of Rose and runs off and cries.

Excellent.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Incidentally, people keep thinking that the Master is somehow going to secretly be involved in Davros/the Daleks’ plan.

Conveniently forgetting that he’s as much of a mortal enemy of theirs as the Doctor is (and indeed ALL Time Lords are). Sigh.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

What about the most evil time lord ever, though? They might make an exception. Technically they’re the mortal enemy of all living beings – but they do ally with / use members of other species when it suits them…

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Yeah, but I thought the Master had specifically thwarted/betrayed them at some point – he’s an actual Enemy. He got exterminated by them in the TVM, remember ;-)

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

True, but those Daleks were either infants, ladies or had been inhaling helium. And I wouldn’t trust any of the above.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Not only are those spoilers rancid ‘shipper’ crap, but if what happens at the start of 13 is what they happens, then it’s the vaguest load of shit imaginable. X doesn’t Y, FOR SOME REASON and A is a B FOR EQUALLY LACKING REASONS.

And that’s even before we get to D crossing his own T.

It’d make me puke.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

OK, I read it. If that’s what is happens, it’ll be the lamest thing to happen on TV since…well, since DT turned into Dobby the House-Elf last season.

performingmonkey
    Participant

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the rumour about three specials over the Christmas 2009 period was true. However, it’s been speculation for AGES so I’m not gonna believe that as fact until they announce it. I’d say the only thing we can be 100% certain in is Easter Saturday and Christmas Day. Tbh I think Boxing Day is a BAD idea, it’s too much. I would shift that episode back to Sept/Oct but keep the New Years Day 2010 one.

ALL of the finale ‘spoilers’ are just assumptions from what has been seen from spy photos/footage. Notice how there’s nothing about Davros. That’s because we don’t know ANYTHING about what he’s doing due to everything with him being shot in the studio. It’s very easy to guess that Rose and the Doctor only meet just as he is shot. We can also assume the inevitable regeneration goes wrong because, well, Tennant is blatantly still in the role.

The alt-Doctor being human is fucking ridiculous. Unless they’re gonna bring up the whole ‘half human’ thing there is ZERO reason for the duplicated Doctor to be human in any way. RTD is crazy if that’s the way he’s gone with that. But again I’ll believe it when I see it. I know I’ve said it wouldn’t surprise me if Rose and the Doctor had a walking-off-into-the-sunset-together moment, but to make him a duplicate human Doctor is insane and spits in the face of episodes such as Human Nature/Family of Blood where the whole point is that the Doctor is never going to get that wife, kids, old age ending shown there. Arggghhhh!!!

Why would Rose accept a ‘fake’ Doctor?

Andrew
    Participant

> Why would Rose accept a ?fake? Doctor?

Fake orgasms?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

That rumour certainly seems to be doing the rounds of the interweb. The only positive I’d say about it is that it utilizes the disembodied hand. It’s rather cool that a “throwaway” thing such as that has appeared in two different TV programmes over the course of 3 years and is rarely directed mentioned.

But that idea still sucks.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

DT turned into Dobby the House-Elf last season.

Surely you mean Barty Crouch Jr.?

YSWIDT?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Not only are those spoilers rancid ?shipper? crap, but if what happens at the start of 13 is what they happens, then it?s the vaguest load of shit imaginable. X doesn?t Y, FOR SOME REASON and A is a B FOR EQUALLY LACKING REASONS.

And that?s even before we get to D crossing his own T.

It?d make me puke.

Cappsy, have you been at that marijuana gin?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Apart from typing “they” instead of “really”, I stand by every word :P

performingmonkey
    Participant

> YSWIDT?

Excellent. It makes me laugh in Goblet of Fire when it’s the courtroom flashback and the guards are grabbing Tennant (aka Barty Crouch Jr.) and he’s like ‘take your hands off me, you filthy little men!’ or something like that, it cracks me up. He just IS doing his shouty Doctor performance in that film as well.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster
    Andrew
    Participant

“the Time Lords hijack the Doctor?s TARDIS and send him to Skaro in order to prevent or alter the creation of the Daleks.”

Don’t they grab him mid-transmat after The Sontaran Experiment? The TARDIS doesn’t appear, does it?

Good piece though!

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Good piece though!

He means his cock.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

And, yes, an excellent article, but I am never, every going to understand the appeal of Revelation or Alexi’s frankly embarrassing performance.

performingmonkey
    Participant

> but I am never, every going to understand the appeal of Revelation or Alexi?s frankly embarrassing performance

I agree. Some parts of Revelation ARE good (I like the crazy statue cliffhanger) but his inclusion is definitely a low point. I prefer Rememberance and even Resurrection. You just can’t get away from the fact that the Colin Baker era IS the worst, even though it’s mostly not his fault.

ChrisM
    Participant

So, the daleks have done that hover thing before then?

I haven’t seen any of those, (or if I have it was a little bit here or there which hardley counts.)I’ll keep an eye out at my library, particularly for Genesis.

Andrew
    Participant

> So, the daleks have done that hover thing before then?

*sigh* YES, WE’VE GOT A VIDEO!

Sorry, wrong response. But, y’know, this misconception’s been going on too bloody long…

ChrisM
    Participant

> *sigh* YES, WE?VE GOT A VIDEO!

Hey, my experience of old Who is pretty limited. (Not as limited as Marleen, obviously, me growing up in England and all. I was well aware of it and grew up seeing bits here and there) but the only bits and pieces I saw of the daleks were trundling along streets etc.

As for the VIDEO… I’m assuming you’re referring to a link on this site, something from way back (before I joined here) or on that ginormous Fun stuff internet thread.

I’ll have a look anyway.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

And a thousand crap comedians shudder.

ChrisM
    Participant

And I wasn’t arguing the point. It was an exclamation “They’ve done that before then!” not, “I don’t believe it cos I didn’t see it, you’re making that up.”

Andrew
    Participant

> As for the VIDEO? I?m assuming you?re referring to a link on this site

It’s a line from The Young Ones – in my admittedly pitiful life it’s become a response to anything that’s been restated far too often.

“Ooh, have we got a video?”/”YES, WE’VE GOT A VIDEO!”

“Ooh, so the Daleks could already levitate?”/”YES, THE DALEKS COULD ALREADY LEVITATE!”

(But then, if you have to explain it…)

ChrisM
    Participant

Fair enough. (Young ones, another show I’ve seen little of. I hated it at the time, although I’ve seen one of two episodes relatively recently which I liked better. Interesting how comedy tastes can change isn’t it?)I can see how it can get irritating. That whole bit obviously passed me by. (Or I forgot it. ;) Theres a vague niggle of memory as I write this, possibly a thread I passed over quickly on the official site years ago….)

Anyway, never mind, its nice they took a lead from the previous series rather than the more drastic reinvention to this uber-baddie I’d expected. (Not that it was much of an issue for me.)

Anyhow, moving on…

I’m very much looking forward to the Davros stuff, but assuming most of the main bad guys of the old show have been done in new Who now, it’ll be interesting to see if Moffat and co come up with some new ones in future series. (Beyond the single episode monsters I mean, great though they are.) Still, I think there is an evil female time-lord person… I guess they might find a way of resurrecting her… (The Rani, was it? YES WE’VE GOT A VIDEO! Hee hee.)

Pete Part Three
    Participant

The only new baddies that seem to have escaped from a single story or a two-parter are the Slitheen.

And they were shit.

Andrew
    Participant

And the Ood. Who weren’t.

Though the term ‘baddies’ is probably unfair to them…

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Ah, yeah. Why did I forget the more recent of the two?

ChrisM
    Participant

And I suppose the future humans/flying globes utilized by the Master sort of qualify. Although they were certainly not baddies to begin with and more victims in their globe form later on. No, not the same league at all, (and different characters in their different forms besides) although they were a fearsome tool in their drone role.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

They don’t qualify in the slightest. For a start, Utopia is part of a three-parter with Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Okay, so IDW’s Doctor Who comic has been a bit rubbish so far. But it looks like this new mini by Tony Lee and Pia Guerrera might change things. Mainly because of this :

More here

ChrisM
    Participant

So, Tony Lee is writing Stalag #666 too! I just saw that advertised in 2000 AD.

As for Doctor Who comics, I haven’t read that much (I read one, I believe written or part written by John Wagner some while back). The art on those samples look really nice though.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Pia Guerrera is really good – she drew Brian K Vaughan’s Y : The Last Man, of which Cappsy is a bit of a fan. I wasn’t hugely impressed with the art on the first IDW mini (and then felt guilty when the colourist came and commented on my review), but this looks a lot better.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

The 8th Doctor wore green?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Yes, his coat was bottle green.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

It wasn’t green in the movie though, was it?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Yup, pretty sure it was. I mean, the movie was quite darkly lit most of the time, but I definitely remember the coat being green. What colour did you think it was?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Velvet Blue! But I’m clearly wrong ^. As you say, it was darkly lit for the most part.

I’M NOT WEARING A TIE AT ALL

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>I?M NOT WEARING A TIE AT ALL

Well done, you’ve won credit back for that one ;-)

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 320 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.