Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Tikka to Ride – Pronunciation?

Viewing 43 posts - 1 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Connell
    Participant

So after watching the X retrospective byte 1, I heard the G&T’ers pronounce it as Tick-ka. Now I’d always thought it was pronounced like that too until one day it occurred to me its actually Tee-ka, as in chicken tikka, as the main plot of the episode is sparked by Lister’s desire to go back in time and retrive more curry.

Now I’m just bloody well confused. Opinions? thoughts? any definitive answer to this one?

Well it is a reference to the curry. I guess it just depends on where you come from. Tick-ka is how some people pronounce the curry.

NoFro
    Participant

I say Tick-ah but I think my pronunciation of the curry is a result of this episode’s title referencing the Beatles song. I say the title of the episode so it sounds most like the original Beatles track; as a result I say Tick-ah. I honestly can’t remember how I pronounced Tikka before I knew of this episode but I always say Tick-ah now.

MANI506
    Participant

I say Tick-a because that’s how Hugh Laurie pronounced it in a brilliant sketch from Fry and Laurie series 3.

It’s a sketch about a spy and his boss played by Hugh and Stephen. They speak over each other for a few lines and then Hugh is left saying ‘chicken tikka masala’ which generates a huge laugh from the audience.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I pronounce the food “Tee-ka”, but the episode “Tikk-a”. I have no idea why.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>I pronounce the food “Tee-ka”, but the episode “Tikk-a”. I have no idea why.

So do I, and this DISGRUNTLES me.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Yeah, both are valid pronunciations, but I favour “ticker” when discussing the episode, as it’s closest to “ticket”.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

This problem could have been avoided if the episode had been called something sensible like “The Grassy Knoll”.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

JFKorma

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Jalfrezzi Fried Korma

takerdemon
    Participant

I always pronounce it Tee-ka even though it doesn’t really make sense in terms of the episode title.

I’d have called it something more sensible like ‘The crazy capers of Lee Harvey Oswald in the Texas Book Depository… with guns and shit’

anniescribe
    Participant

“Just F!@$#ing Kidding” is my choice.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

“I pronounce the food “Tee-ka”, but the episode “Tikk-a”. I have no idea why.”

Me too. I think it has to do with the association of the Beatles song.

Bloody ridiculous title, anyway.

What about, after ‘Out of Time,’ it was called ‘Back in Time’?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

There’s enough Red Dwarf episode titles that begin with “Back”, Ben.

There was only two back then, tbf.

Connell
    Participant

Isn’t that curious – I’m an avid Beatles fan, yet it appears my love for curry would override the song reference.

Looks like Ticker is the preferred pronunciation, I’d agree that both are more than acceptable, depending on how you interpret it.

Also, I’d feel like I was putting the thread to waste if we didn’t keep this going..

Bhajiswap
    Confidence and Pikora
    Trojan Josh
    Balti than Life

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Trojan Josh

This is amazing.

si
    Participant

Poppadum Life.

Reece
    Participant

Korma-ntine.

… I’ll leave.

HelloMabel
    Participant

The Last Dal
    Naanarchy

fozzibear1
    Participant

to be honest I use the the tic ka pronunciation too but now I can see probably for the wrong reason, im thinking as in the old fashioned expression for heart or determination, he is determined to ride. Must admit I hadnt related to his search for curry as he generally prefers Vindaloo

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

im thinking as in the old fashioned expression for heart or determination, he is determined to ride. Must admit I hadnt related to his search for curry as he generally prefers Vindaloo

fozzibear1
    Participant

Sorry Ian i fail to comprehend the meaning of the clip

Connell
    Participant

‘This is your ship, you’re in the Space Korma, you?’

pfm
    Participant

‘Mar-bhuna-ed’

That’s all I got….

Actually, ‘Passandra’

JamesTC
    Participant

‘Better Naan Life’

Oh it’s fucking close enough to curry.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Racist.

Dave
    Participant

I’ve always proounced it Teeka To Ride, but I did question this watching the introduction on the X-Tended VHS when Robby and/or Kryten said Ticker.

In addition:

Balance Of Paneer
    Stay Shashlik
    Just Rice

I also have the song ‘Bhuna City 7’ going around and around in my head.

Lexo Ross
    Participant

I’ve always said it Tee-kah

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I’m glad that finally, after 15 years, we’re having this talk.

ChrisM
    Participant

I’ve always said it Tee-kah

Me too. Mainly as I pronounce the curry that way, and didn’t even know it was pronounced by many ‘ticka’. Maybe it’s a London thing.

Probably a London thing. Or maybe I just assumed from the one person I talk to about Red Dwarf in person who pronounces the episode “ticka” to ride.

Jo
    Participant

>I pronounce the food “Tee-ka”, but the episode “Tikk-a”. I have no idea why.

Ditto.

>Probably a London thing.

In what way? Yes, Cappsy, Ian, Seb and I all currently live in London but none of us are actually from London.

>In what way? Yes, Cappsy, Ian, Seb and I all currently live in London but none of us are actually from London.

I think I misunderstood what was being said. I thought the “London thing” was pronouncing tikka “ticka” when referring to the curry. What I meant was that I think I know the only person who does that, and it made me think that other people do it too.

Jonsmad
    Participant

Vindaluna. no forget that one, it’s a crap pun.

Ridley
    Participant

I pronounce it the same way I say cheeken tikka.

ChrisM
    Participant

>I think I misunderstood what was being said. I thought the “London thing” was pronouncing tikka “ticka” when referring to the curry.

It was me who mentioned ‘London thing’ originally. I meant, that I live in London (well the outskirts really) and I’ve only ever heard the curry pronounced ‘teeka’, so I automatically applied that pronunciation to the episode.

I didn’t even know it was pronounced differently elsewhere until I opened this thread!

Connell
    Participant

As far as I’m aware, it isn’t pronounced differently anywhere else. It’s just the episode could also be pronounced Tick-ka to Ride, which sounds more similar to Ticket to Ride, which is the name of a Beatles song that the title is also derived from.

Connell
    Participant

Infact, if you think about it, I’m almost sure it was intended to be pronounced Tee-ka like the curry, or it doesn’t make much sense. Why not just call it Ticket to Ride then? Strange how inadvertently it’s now pronounced Tick-ka by a vast majority of the fans.

Carlito
    Participant

Yeah it’s a tidy episode – the best of VII anyway – with a rubbish title. But what would have been a better one?

I like one word titles…. I think ‘Entropy’ may have been a decent title for this episode, from both the perspective of it being a continuation of the VI cliffhanger and its ramifications, and also the events that occur in the plot .

Or simply ‘Kennedy’. Perhaps ‘Assassin’?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Yesterday
    Lucy in the Sky with Dansak
    Korma feel the noise

Yes, all shit.

si
    Participant

John F CurryDie.

Shitter.

Reece
    Participant

Tikka to Ride

Shittiest.

Viewing 43 posts - 1 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.