Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Trepidatiously dipping in my toe

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jeff_R
    Participant

Hello all fellow Dwarfers!

I’ve been surfing G&T for a while, but I haven’t registered or posted before now. Why do I feel trepidation? Well, it’s due to WHY I’m posting now.

I’ve loved RD since first being introduced to it during the Series 3 broadcasts. I have VHS SmegUp and SmegOut tapes squirrelled away, along with VHS tapes such as “Smegheads in Seattle” and “Swirly Thing Alert”, which should be familiar to some long-time Western North American RD fans. After years of working in the film industry, principally as a writer, I’ve been inspired to write my own web series in a similar tone. (Not a fan flick; this is a totally different story!) Now I’m crowdfunding it, and people have told me that I should reach out to fans of similar shows (such as RD!) via forums like this one.

I’m not going to post the link, though. Why not? Because I HATE it when someone just parachutes into a community and spams them. Instead, I want to ask you, the G&T community (and especially the site admins) whether this is interesting/appropriate/worthy of setting fire to my shoes and dropping me into a vat of stale vindaloo. So, if the link is welcome, then please let me know. Otherwise, pelt me with rotten fruit and I’ll sink quietly into a pile of rejected Mr. Flibble puppets.

P.S. I wouldn’t even have posted this, but my team is SUPER-fantastic, we have 11 days left in the campaign, and I really feel I owe it to them to explore every option for seeing this show brought to life.

Karnie
    Participant

I can’t speak for the site, but I see no harm in it!
    Incidentally, I’d like more information on these other VHS tapes, “Smegheads in Seattle” and “Swirly Thing Alert”, I’ve never heard of them. What exactly are they?

Jeff_R
    Participant

Thanks, Karnie! I’ll let a few more voices chime in to make sure; I really respect forum communities and don’t want to annoy anyone. (Not to mention, assuming I get this made, I’m hoping people around here will become fans! No point in angering potential fans!)

The VHS tapes I mentioned were pledge perks from the Seattle PBS station if you donated during the RD marathons. They’re both videos of the Dwarf cast who were in town, taking in local attractions and doing interviews, etc. As I recall, (been a while since I fired them up), one is just Robert and Craig and the other includes Danny as well.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Go for it.

Pecospete666
    Participant

What do you need to raise? How much$$$$$$$$$$$

Jeff_R
    Participant

Sorry, double-posted.

Jeff_R
    Participant

Well, I seem to be okay with posting the link, so I’ll put it in here. If there are objections, I’ll happily take it down (or admins can delete it).

Tried posting the link but it didn’t work. Probably too new here! The show is at http://www.indiegogo.com/jacked

It’s called Jacked, and tells the story of a guy who doesn’t know the first thing about technology and ends up trapped in an experiment testing the effects of long term exposure to virtual reality. So he’s trapped on the Internet, all the programs are people, and most of them are nuts. His companions are Sara (an appointment calendar with a serious programming issue), Rachel (a security program with a rage issue) and Helen, the gaming avatar version of his annoyed roommate who wants him to escape so he can pay the electricity bill.

It’s a pro-level show, with a professional cast and crew (their credits range from E.T. and The Right Stuff up to Andromeda, Lost, Fringe, Babylon 5, and Supernatural.) I’m looking to raise $40,000 to shoot the first season and any support gets perks (downloadable versions of the show, outtakes, chance to have your picture appear in the show, etc.) Normally, we’d have to pay about $400,000+ to shoot this, because I’m getting a TON of favours.

Thanks for taking a look at it! Happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

Karnie
    Participant

Thanks Jeff! Sorry to keep side-lining, but those vids you mentioned, were the cast ‘in character’ in them, or were they just themselves? I’m asking because I’m writing an encyclopedia on RD and looking for any new in-universe material, and this is something totally new to me.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I love your pitch video, Jeff.

Definitely like the premise of Jacked, I’ll throw a pledge your way as soon as I’m able. Also, welcome to the site!

si
    Participant

Yes, sounds great. Hope you can make your target.

Jeff_R
    Participant

Karnie: No worries about sidelining at all! This is a RD site; if anything, I’m the one sidelining. :-) It’s been a while since I watched them, but as far as I can recall, they were just themselves. They likely slipped into character for the inevitable “What would Kryten say if…” moments, but I don’t recall any “Dave and the Cat go to Pike Place Market” or anything similar. However, I do want to transfer the tapes onto DVD, and once I’ve watched them again, I’ll let you know if I see any in-character stuff.

Jonathan: Thanks for the welcome, and for the interest! Much appreciated!

Si: Thanks very much!

Karnie
    Participant

Thanks, Jeff, If / when you do that, please let me know; you can contact me through the book’s page at http://www.hassleinbooks.com. In the meantime, I’ll check out your project, sounds great!

Jeff_R
    Participant

Definitely will do, Karnie!

By the way, I had to go somewhere that people would fully understand how cool this is. Our campaign just got a retweet from Danny John-Jules!

Jeff_R
    Participant

Thought I would just post an update here; we ended up getting several RTs from Mr. John-Jules; yes, my inner dwarfer is over the moon. We’ve got 8 days to go, so if anyone wants to help us make this show a reality, through pledging support or helping to spread the word, that would be MUCH appreciated!

indiegogo.com/jacked is the link. Many thanks!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.