On a day when half the country is either in lockdown or preparing to go into lockdown, and we’re debating whether or not meeting up to watch the Red Dwarf Special go out counts as “non-essential travel”, Dave and Red Dwarf HQ have provided a much welcome distraction, in the form of this lovely big poster:
There’s a couple of variations actually, and the one without the Dave branding (pictured above) is clearly superior, although there’s also this textless version too. There’s a lot to take in, so have some bullet points:
- First glimpse of Holly! Floating in space, doing a less than damn fine moon impression. Compare this to the first picture of his guest appearance in Series XII, and you’ll see already how much an improvement has been made to his look.
- Having been slightly hidden behind the others in the first main cast shot, you can see here that Kryten’s bodywork is distinctly scuffed and patched up. His chest monitor has got a dirty great chip in it, something that you could sort of make out in the very first clapperboard shot.
- Another angle on Rimmer’s new silvery muscley costume makes his neck look a lot more normal, and also shows off the fabric and some of the details a little better.
- Rodon featured in the main poster! Fangs and claws very much on display. And he appears to be on fire.
- Is that some sort of Starbug schematic in the background on the left hand side? Full version of this please.
- And speaking of Starbug, just look at actual Starbug at the bottom! It’s missing its rear section! This is what we were hinting at with the tiny glimpse of an effects shot we saw in the teaser trailer – we weren’t sure whether we were supposed to be able to make it out there, but it’s very much a feature here. It’s Tikka To Ride Xtended all over again.
Overall, very impressed by this artwork, and the sense of scale that’s coming across in the promotional campaign so far. These updates are getting closer and closer together, meaning that we surely can’t be far away from having a date for our now otherwise empty diaries.