Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Doctor Who Series 7

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

A brand new Doctor Who thread for the modern man about town.

There were a few series 7 based comments in the old thread here, but frankly we need a new one at this point to avoid that pagination BULLSHIT.

So, that Mark Williams, eh? He’s in Doctor Who, isn’t he?

si
    Participant

What was that other SF programme he was in?

Ah, the Pagination problem. The only thing that denies G&T it’s ‘really very good’ award.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>What was that other SF programme he was in?

The Strangerers. Duh.

si
    Participant

Cheers.

*plods off*

Alex
    Participant

And by the looks of it, we have a Western filmed in Spain too.

si
    Participant

Sophia Myles is in Spain at the moment. She’s been tweeting that her luggage hadn’t arrived. I hadn’t made any Who-related connections, but Kasterborous.com posted something about it, and it’s certainly a possibility.

Okay, she wouldn’t be playing Reinette, but actors used to play multiple roles in various stories all the time in classic Who. It’s only the fact that nowadays, stories are out on DVD a matter of weeks after they air, so actors are inextricably linked with single characters.

si
    Participant

Okay, so apparently, there’s going to be a big Who announcement tomorrow, and it would seem to be announcing the new companion. Haven’t seen anything 100% official yet, mind, just this on Doctor Who News; http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2012/03/dwn2003121700008-new-co-star-to-be.html

Doctor Who Online have also Tweeted:

Who’s looking forward to tomorrow’s reported announcement of the new #DoctorWho companion?

Apparently its a ‘she’ and she isn’t a household name… make of that what you will ;)

I can confirm that there is a press announcement tomorrow morning. People should keep an eye on @bbcdoctorwho tomorrow – from Edward Russell

So, er…that all sounds interesting.

It would’ve been nice to have a male companion, mind. Be interesting if the new co-star turned up at the convention in Cardiff at the weekend.

si
    Participant

Incidentally, I’d quite like it to be Charlotte Ritchie (Oregon in Fresh Meat), she’d be good. It won’t be, of course, but I just thought I’d make my choice known now, just in case it *does* turn out to be her.

Anyhoo: Press conference, 10:30am tomorrow.

Kris Carter
    Participant

Ooo, I like her. Thanks Si. You’ve set me up for disappointment now regardless…

pfm
    Participant

> It won’t be, of course

You never know. After all, who would have guessed at Karen Gillan, the fit redhead from the Kevin Bishop Show?

However, it seems a few people already know that it’s Aisling Loftus, the girl who played Arriety in ‘The Borrowers’ at Christmas (which, of course, also starrted a certain 9th Doctor…;)). Personally I think she’s sweetly magnificent.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

The Sun reckons it’s Jenna-Louise Coleman, who’s in Emmerdale. Apparently.

She’s a rather handsome lady.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4207902/Jenna-Louise-Coleman-is-the-new-pal-for-Dr-Who.html

si
    Participant

Hm. Meh.

There are worse Emmerdale actresses. All the time I was waiting for that link to load, I was just thinking ‘pjease don’t be that lass who plays Holly’.

Dave
    Participant

>I was just thinking ‘pjease don’t be that lass who plays Holly’.

They would be very lucky to get Hattie Hayridge.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

“FORMER Emmerdale lesbian”

Good old The Sun.

thomasaevans
    Participant

Im alone with Lacey turner then?

si
    Participant

For once, the Sun is correct:

@bbcdoctorwho have Tweeted: “Jenna-Louise Coleman announced as the new Doctor Who companion. More to come….”

si
    Participant

Good old ‘Lizo-off-of-Newsround’ has Tweeted that she’ll make her debut in the Christmas special.

http://twitter.com/#!/lizo_mzimba/status/182418135293509633

si
    Participant

If you’re not already, following @bbcdoctorwho and @dwmtweets is the best thing to do in situations like this. But this from the Beeb’s feed is good to know.

There will be 6 episodes this year, including the Xmas Special. Then 8 next year. Jenna’s character will first be seen at Xmas.

ADDITIONAL: Damn you, Moffat!

“Amy & Rory will leave in a final encounter with the Weeping Angels in ep 5. Not everyone gets out alive and I mean it this time”

Is it too late to say that these posts may contain spoilers, btw, or is that a given?

si
    Participant

Im alone with Lacey turner then?

Lucky you.

If it *had* have been her, Bradley would be looking down and kicking himself.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Im alone with Lacey turner then?

Sounds like it. What are you going to do with her until she runs away?

>Amy & Rory will leave in a final encounter with the Weeping Angels in ep 5.Not everyone gets out alive and I mean it this time

So it sounds like the Weeping Angels won’t be using their elegant “suck the life-force from your unlived days” ability in this story and will instead be using their incredibly dull “break your neck while you’re not looking” ability.

Carlito
    Participant

Moffat may be in danger of overdoing the Angels. I know Blink was hugely well received and a classic, but if we get an appearance from the Angels every year it begins to feel like Moffat is really specifically trying to imprint his mark on the shows future ie. establish the Angels as regular foes up there with the likes of the Daleks and Cybermen etc. Which makes it feel forced rather than organic.

But to me what worked best about Blink (at that time anyway) was the one-off nature of the whole thing, this little story in a bubble. The weeping angels were a genius creation, but there’s not really much need for a second or third or fourth go around with them, in my view anyway.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>if we get an appearance from the Angels every year

We didn’t have one last year…

Alex
    Participant

Well aside from the cameo in The God Complex anyway.

pfm
    Participant

The Angels haven’t been overused in the show itself. It’s the amount that people bang on about them that makes it seem so.

Btw there’s no chance he’ll kill Amy or Rory.

Jenna-Louise Coleman is a great choice!

si
    Participant

I honestly think he’ll kill Amy off. Rory won’t die, not again. Karen Gillan wants a definite end for the character, and if, when we reach the *60th* Anniversary, she’s changed her mind and wants to make a reappearance, we’re talking about a SF show that deals with time travel…

pfm
    Participant

Somehow they will end up raising baby Melody. I would say in a parallel world but we’re not gonna get that again, are we?

I keep thinking that the overly-complex background of River Song (the part where she is ‘Mel’, Amy and Rory’s friend wtf Moffat?????) is gonna have another spin on it where things are much more straightforward.

Carlito
    Participant

> Well aside from the cameo in The God Complex anyway.

That’s what I was thinking of, although I thought it was a different episode. The last series all seems to merge into messes in my mind.

Alex
    Participant

A selection of stupid questions asked at the convention today:

– Will you make a series with the 8th Doctor about the time war?
    – Which Hogwarts house would the cast like to be in?
    – Did Molly tell John in Sherlock?
    – Why is the show is slightly racist?

Alex
    Participant

Oh, and I take it that trailer is doing the rounds by now. There’s some damned interesting stuff in that.

pfm
    Participant

The Doctor would be in all 4 houses simultaneously…

si
    Participant

> Which Hogwarts house would the cast like to be in?

Well, Karen would obviously be in Gryffindor with the rest of the Weasleys.

si
    Participant

That trailer *is* doing that rounds, yes, though it’s pretty poor quality, and I can’t understand a lot of what’s being said. Needless to say, I’ll be up early tomorrow to watch it properly. :)

Alex
    Participant

All those questions were greated with groans. There were more, those are just the ones that came to mind. There were lots of self proclaimed experts too, claiming Delgado died last year, Ainley was the first master, Tennant is the longest serving doctor, Smith has no good episodes just average ones, and the all time classic “I hate Steven Moffat, he’s awful and can’t write charecters” followed by them shovelling praise on Blink.

pfm
    Participant

> followed by them shovelling praise on Blink.

While it IS overrated, it IS proof of what genius he used to be capable of with Doctor Who. Now his best efforts are reserved for Sherlock.

As for Matt Smith…there’s still places he’s yet to go as the Doctor, a level he hasn’t quite achieved. I want to see Moffat test him in series 7. Who knows, maybe it will take the Ponds leaving for him to really come into his own.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Doctor Who fandom is, on the whole, quite terrible. I am sometimes ashamed to call myself a fan of the show.

Alex
    Participant

Doctor Who fandom is, on the whole, quite terrible. I am sometimes ashamed to call myself a fan of the show.

On top of the usual terribleness though, there’s now also the rather substainsal female audience who screamed at everything yesterday. It’s an interesting combination to say the least.

Alex
    Participant

Just been on the Tardis set and I have to say the new wall they’ve put in for series 7 looks great. It really adds to the whole look.

si
    Participant

Alright Alex, we get it, you’ve been on the TARDIS. Stop rubbing it in. ;)

In other news:

I’m liking a couple of the SPOILERish s7 rumours that are going round at the mo. First off – Mark Williams may be playing Rory’s Dad. Judging by his attire in the trailer, that seems fairly plausible, and great casting, but then one has to wonder why we didn’t see Rory’s family at the wedding…

Also, the possibility that the Statue of Liberty may be a Weeping Angel. That sounds great (There’s always someone looking at her, right?), although she’d be one large Angel…

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Oh, Lord. How fanwanky are those rumours?

pfm
    Participant

I can imagine the opening of the episode involving the Statue of Liberty disappearing.

The Doctor investigates and realises there can be only one explanation, that the Statue has been an Angel all along. He even stood in front of it with Martha Jones that time and never noticed… Newspaper reports show a huge event that happened the day before which, for the first time ever, drew every single person’s eyes away from the Statue, allowing her to move.

Alex
    Participant

I’m liking a couple of the SPOILERish s7 rumours that are going round at the mo. First off – Mark Williams may be playing Rory’s Dad. Judging by his attire in the trailer, that seems fairly plausible, and great casting, but then one has to wonder why we didn’t see Rory’s family at the wedding…

Moffat heavily hinted that that’s who he is playing on Sunday, suggesting the wedding was a bit of a cock up there because of it.

Alex
    Participant

Oh, and while I think of it, he said that there’s a monster from the classic series returning for series 7.

RedDwarfFan2982
    Participant

That was hilarious “what classic monsters would you like to return?”

SM: “you know what? I’ll show you in a tv series thats due to air in the autumn and early next year”

Alex
    Participant

That was hilarious “what classic monsters would you like to return?”

SM: “you know what? I’ll show you in a tv series thats due to air in the autumn and early next year”

Oh, so you were on the Sunday Ood stream too then?

RedDwarfFan2982
    Participant

Indeed i was, :) it was awesome I also thought it was funny about a female doctor, MS “c’mon guys I’m sat right here.”
    SM: “who said we’ll recast” :D

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I know which classic monster is coming back. Well, I mean, aside from the classic monsters that have already been in Moffat’s eps, of which there are a few. But this time there’s a new one.

Alex
    Participant

Indeed i was, :) it was awesome I also thought it was funny about a female doctor, MS “c’mon guys I’m sat right here.”
    SM: “who said we’ll recast” :D

Ah right. I didnt know anyone else from G&T was going. Though when I was waiting in a line I did see a guy on a lower level point me out to his girlfriend, mouthing what I believe was Gazpacho Soup, but could just have been him saying, ‘See him? What a cunt.’

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

He might have been saying “That bloke looks a bit like David Tennant”, which is what I said after first meeting you in Shepperton.

Alex
    Participant

That’s a new one on me. I usually get David Mitchell or John Lennon if I grow my hair longer.

RedDwarfFan2982
    Participant

No, I can safely say that wasn’t me I was dressed as the 10th Doctor

Ridley
    Participant

That’s a new one on me. I usually get David Mitchell or John Lennon if I grow my hair longer.

I thought Neil Gaiman if that’s any better?

Probably a good thing Seb doesn’t agree. ;)

Alex
    Participant

According to the official site it seems that they are indeed bringing back the RTD Daleks, suggesting a return to the Dalek civil war idea from the 80s. No great surprise there though as that’s basically what we were presented with in the walk through part of the experience.

Alex
    Participant

I see Chibnall is writting two of the first 6 episodes. Bugger.

pfm
    Participant

Whyyyy bring someone back who’s written some of the most tedious episodes in the show’s history??

Jo
    Participant

I see Chibnall is writting two of the first 6 episodes. Bugger.

Ack! :(

si
    Participant

I’m not a Chibnall fan, but it’s not necessarily a bad thing. I hated his Silurian story – the worst Eleventh Doctor story yet – but I really like 42.

But then again, he did write Cyberwoman, which is the worst episode of anything in the whole 21st Century Whoniverse. :/

Nick R
    Participant

I love this: Collegehumor’s Doctor Who RPG.

Those chiptunes!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>I really like 42.

Someone has to.

si
    Participant

Saw that Doctor Who RPG last week sometime. Watched it 2 or 3 times in a row, it’s brilliant.

Bob Loblaw
    Participant

To whom it concerns, 3 eps of Doctor Who nominated in its category for the Hugo’s (The Doctor’s Wife, A Good Man Goes To War, The Girl Who Waited). However, Community’s ‘Remedial Chaos Theory’ has also been nominated, and is the clear winner in my eyes.

si
    Participant

Eek, decisions decisions.

pfm
    Participant

‘A Good Man Goes To War’?? Well I suppose they had to include one of Moffat’s…..

I haven’t seen any of Community so I can only say I hope ‘The Doctor’s Wife’ wins. It’s just a shame they couldn’t produce Gaiman’s more extensive version of the episode. They should have saved it for a 90 minute film!!

UncreativeUserName
    Participant

Having not seen the other Nominations, I’d say by a mile the clear winner of those 3 episodes is The Girl Who Waited.

Kelly M
    Participant

All 3 are brilliant episodes, but I’d have to say The Girl Who Waited.

pfm
    Participant

The Girl Who Waited is definitely up there with the best since the show came back. I suppose it works better as a standalone piece than The Doctor’s Wife. I would have had The God Complex in that lineup too.

UncreativeUserName
    Participant

I liked The Doctor’s Wife but while it was interestingly different and certainly head above a lot of that Series, I didn’t get what everyone was on about calling it this incredible best ever episode.

Connell
    Participant

I didn’t like The Girl Who Waited. The concept was great, but after 30 minutes in my opinion it was a lost cause.

si
    Participant

I remember my dad proclaiming The Girl Who Waited his favourite episode ever after the first five minutes. Then I watched The God Complex the following week and thought much the same of that.

I love everything and everybody, and that includes you.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

The Girl Who Waited was very good, but it wasn’t in the same league as The Doctor’s Wife.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Something has gone wrong when the three best episodes of last year weren’t written by Steven Moffat.

pfm
    Participant

Yeah, it’s a shame cause I thought The Eleventh Hour, the Angels 2 parter and The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang were pretty good. Nothing he wrote last year matched them.

UncreativeUserName
    Participant

I just rewatched The Doctor’s Wife and loved it a helluva lot more than I did on first watch, and can definetely see the fuss. There’s some scenes which feel like running around for the sake of it which was my problem, my other being that I wish I could’ve seen the full length version Gaiman had intended. There was so much there to explore.

Haven’t seen Girl Who Waited on my rewatch yet, hopefully that will improve my already high opinion of it.

Pongo
    Participant

One of the new episodes is called Pete. Oops, my mistake: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/18858556

Jonsmad
    Participant

Is it a two parter?

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Not yet.

Jimboid
    Participant

So, coming soon.

Anyone been watching the Pond Life miniseries (well, microseries what with each episode being around 1 minute long)?

It’s quite amusing. It features an Ood on the toilet.

si
    Participant

On Monday, I was a little disappointed with the length (part one was just 54secs), but all four parts so far have been fairly amusing. I think Part 2 was my favourite so far. :)

HelloMabel
    Participant

Just watched the first four of them on Youtube. (The last one hasn’t been released yet, right?)

Cute.

Alex
    Participant

On Monday, I was a little disappointed with the length

*Childish snigger*

Pecospete666
    Participant

They slammed Twitter with about 20 tweets in a row for the new show.

They stole my Vogan stick!

The Bastards!

> Just watched the first four of them on Youtube. (The last one hasn’t been released yet, right?)

It is now.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Thanks Jason.

Embarrassingly, I haven’t seen any new Doctor Who series since early Tennant days. My PBS station stopped picking it up after series 2, I believe, and BBC America is just beyond my budget. And I haven’t been bothered to watch it online (that’s the embarrassing part).

This microseries was really nice. It managed to make me care about these incarnations of the Doctor and Companion in 5 short minutes, which must be some kind of record.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Do yourself a favour, Mabel, and try to watch at least “The Eleventh Hour” before Saturday’s broadcast. A finer 60 minutes of television you will not find.

Jimboid
    Participant

Well, that was rather splendid.

Shame that after all the build-up surrounding old-style Daleks that we didn’t really see much of any.

Otherwise, top banana.

Pecospete666
    Participant

I have 5:44 mins before I get to see it!

Connell
    Participant

I agree that the lack of classic Daleks was a little bit disappointing.. and I also don’t like that the Daleks now have no recollection of the Doctor, what are you playing at?! First half the universe now think he’s dead, and now the Daleks can’t remember him from adam?! Also getting fed up of the amount of times ‘Doctor Who’ is actually being said in the programme.

However, it was interesting to see Jenna turn up so early.. wonder how Moffat is going to sort that one out! I also liked the whole concept of the episode, and kept thinking how good a video game it’d make.

Must admit the Dalek Prime Minister made me cringe… just didn’t sound quite right!

Overall i’d give the episode 7.5 / 10. Was good to see the Daleks as an opener, as oppose to the Davies days of having them in every single close. Didn’t quite fare as well as The Impossible Astronaut IMO.

Carlito
    Participant

I usually really enjoy Doctor Who but – yes, here comes a tired old argument – I’ve found myself becoming less interested with each passing Moffat season. Tuned in for this one and found the first 20 mins grated me so much I kind of switched off mentally for the rest of the episode and allowed myself to become distracted with other things.

I will give it another watch and TRY to pay more attention to the second half so as to have a fair and informed opinion of the episode on the whole but early impressions not so good.

Ridley
    Participant

Since Messrs Seb, Alex and Pete have taken all the good ones on Twitter: “…it’s the Dalek version of Norman Bates.”

Was there a resolution to the Ponds/Doctor’s slow transformation? I seem to have missed it.

Oh, I found the lack of a River Song mention a bit odd.

Nick R
    Participant

I’m not a big fan of Daleks – especially not huge armies of them – but a good episode, even if as an opener it didn’t have quite the impact of The Eleventh Hour or The Impossible Astronaut.

I found it a bit annoying watching Rory try and understand the “eggs/ex” thing, but the call back to it at the end worked well. Good twist, although maybe a bit less surprising for me than it might have been, because quite early on I was reminded of certain sci-fi film that did something similar.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

A bit “so so” for me, redeemed by the ending and the guest-star. The actual reason for the Doctor being there was very feeble and, if it weren’t for the ending, there wouldn’t be much to it. Not a bad episode, but not what you’d expect from a)a season opener b) a Moffat episode c)A Dalek episode.

>Good twist, although maybe a bit less surprising for me than it might have been, because quite early on I was reminded of certain sci-fi film that did something similar.

Ditto.

si
    Participant

Personally, I thought it was amazing. I knew to expect a surprise just after the opening titles, but no way could I have expected that. I’ve got to congratulate the press (and, indeed, the internet) for keeping a lid on that.

pfm
    Participant

> Oh, I found the lack of a River Song mention a bit odd.

Seeing as this was the first Moffat episode since ‘The Eleventh Hour’ not to include her (and obviously there was his Library 2-parter before that), I’d say it was pretty darned refreshing…

Okay…rather than editing what I just typed I’m gonna say I forgot about ‘The Beast Below’. Has anybody else? ;)

Ridley
    Participant

I’d say it was pretty darned refreshing…

But “You have always wanted kids ever since you were a kid.” They have a daughter. Since being robbed of Melody’s childhood was, understandably, a big deal in TWoRS – coupled with the revelation that Kovarian’s lot have taken away from Amy the possibility of any more children (something which was a threat to her marriage) – I’da thunk River’s existence is worth a mention.

Pecospete666
    Participant

” I grow weary of you Matt Smith,time for you to die “

Time for a new Doctor! Not impressed with opening show!
    I picked up the Dalek Girl 2 mins into her appearance.
    Moffat is good,maybe better shows to come.
    I give it 6 out of 10.

I really like Matt Smith.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Oh, do sod off, Pecospete.

Alex
    Participant

Agreed. Smith is easily one of my favourite Doctors and I shall be very sad to see him go.

Jimboid
    Participant

Matt Smith is superb. I sometimes tire of the “lashings of ginger pop! Wizard!” element of his character…but most of the time he’s wonderful.

I think maybe we’ve been spoiled with so many years of brilliant Doctor Who. This was a story with insane Daleks, reanimated corpses with fricking Dalek eye-stalks coming out of their fricking heads, cinematic vistas and wonderful production values overall, sparky tight dialogue, a twist that shifts the position of the series oldest foes, a re-establishing of the bronze bastard Daleks after the negative reaction to the new paradigm, an introduction of a new companion, genuine emotion….

All in 45 minutes.

If you’re a Doctor Who fan you have to be naturally predisposed to forgiving a few flaws…but it seems that people are disappointed in an episode if it doesn’t rank in their top 10 of all time. Maybe that’s because Doctor Who has rarely been this strong.

si
    Participant

Me and my mates enjoyed it.

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.