Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf X – Speculation and Theories

Viewing 61 posts - 1 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Speculate away, bitches!

A few brief rules that have already been stated by someone else, but it’s worth clarifying:

• Obviously the catch all spoiler policy applies here as much as anywhere else on the site.
    • Please don’t comment in this thread if you’ve seen any episode recorded, even if the general talk is about an episode you have not. Comments of that nature belong in the set report comment threads, as anything said here in conjunction with theories could give away more than intended.
    • Anyone spoiling the Iain Lee / Norman Lovett dance routine in episode 1 will be instantly banned.
    Jake Bullet
    Participant

Along with Ori_Studfarm, and a few other members here, we saw episode 3 being filmed (I think it was Ep 3). Of course I would not want to spoil it for anyone (I would not want anyone to spoil it for me either). All I am prepared to say is, it looks to be a good series, and the sets we saw looks great, as did the costumes. I am not likely to see any more episodes being filmed before release on TV, so I am prepared to wait and see what goes on.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

You know the bit just above your comment that says don’t post in here if you’ve seen an episode being recorded?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Actually, I’ve slightly expanded the second rule. I think even if you’ve just seen one episode recorded it’s best not to speculate on any you haven’t, because you might know something that could apply to the series as a whole. I know you weren’t doing any speculating Jake, but best leave this thread ‘clean’ from this point on.

Ok, every one else, BEGIN.

In your own time.

Brayds2006
    Participant

So since Doug mentioned on Twitter that Starbug will be in the series, (I’m guessing we’re allowed to mention stuff officially revealed like that? If not, call me a cunt and kick me out the window) will we see the inside of the Bug, or will we just see an exterior shot of it flying to its destination?

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

(I’m guessing we’re allowed to mention stuff officially revealed like that? If not, call me a cunt and kick me out the window)

No cunt, sir. No window.

That is to say: anything from official sources is fair game.

Jake Bullet
    Participant

Did not see that bit – still a little hungover from a party previously – from this point on, I shall not comment, sorry :-)

Kris Carter
    Participant

Well, I’m off to see a recording soon, but I ain’t yet, so I\, a-commentin’ and a-speculatin’ here until then…

The talk about episode 1 showing something to do with Rimmer that’s been referred to previously – any ideas? I honestly am stumped on it. Yvonne McGruder perhaps? I dunno.

As far as Starbug goes – I wouldn’t be too surprised if we maybe see some sort of variant of the cockpit a la Series VIII, but nothing else – of course, saying that, the new stage is a lot bigger, and maybe they’ve got something cooked up… would be great to see the mid-section again (series VI/VII style).

I’m very curious to see Kryten’s and Rimmer’s costumes – although it sounds like Rimmer is in his BTE tunic sans belt? I’ll see in two weeks anyways, but I’m jonesing for some official pics…

JamesTC
    Participant

>The talk about episode 1 showing something to do with Rimmer that’s been referred to previously – any ideas?

Rimmer’s brother Frank?

It does seem odd that we haven’t heard anything about a Starbug set. Maybe it isn’t being built until the new year for the last 4 episodes.

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

Not been to a Filming yet so i shall speculate away.

i wonder if all these eps will be either Dwarf /Starbug or other ship set, seeing as they have a bigger stage. not heard any mention of Location shoots but i guess they would do everything possible to keep that quiet. perhaps that’s what they are doing during the week before Filming, or does that cut it a bit Fine? when was Location stuff done in comparison to the Audience shoot in Years past ?

redhead85
    Participant

Rimmer and Lister get married with Kryten conducting the ceremony. They divorce by episode 5. Lister wins custody of the Cat.

pfm
    Participant

> Rimmer and Lister get married with Kryten conducting the ceremony. They divorce by episode 5. Lister wins custody of the Cat.

No real spoilers!!!! :P

Kris Carter
    Participant

I reckon there’ll be location shoots, but not outdoorsy stuff, just using industrial spaces to show more of the ship(s).

Paul Muller
    Participant

Just seen this thread – thanks guys!

Nick R
    Participant

Seb wrote:

Also, episode one is very categorically not a rehash of something else. The main plot centres on something that we have never before seen in Red Dwarf (although we have definitely seen/heard it REFERRED to on numerous occasions), and that we might have expected that we never would see.

And I replied:

Now that’s a blatant clue, innit!

Now you’ve said that, I’ve now got a couple of theories about what it could be. One is something that was mentioned as one of Doug’s potential storyline ideas in the spoiler section of the last Dimension Jump Dwarfcast; the other is an activity.

The activity I was thinking of was Zero Gee Football (or possibly kickboxing?). Certainly fits the description of something that’s been referred to many times but we never expected to see on-screen!

Not that I really think it’s that, of course. I wonder what sort of budget would be required to convincingly put on-screen two whole sports teams floating around in zero gravity – perhaps Dave could shell out for the rotating corridor set from Inception? ;)

Paul Muller
    Participant

“something that we have never before seen in Red Dwarf (although we have definitely seen/heard it REFERRED to on numerous occasions)”

Chloe Annett’s foaming twat?

Tarka Dal
    Participant

So, just checking. I’m effectively banned from this thread due to seeing episode one. Is that correct?

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Sorry that “I” made it sound personal. I ask for clarification.

gem5ie
    Participant

That’s how I understand it. I am banned too!

si
    Participant

I’m going to speculate on everything so far in one massive post on January 19th. So that’s something for you to look forward to.

Phil
    Participant

Seb wrote:

Also, episode one is very categorically not a rehash of something else. The main plot centres on something that we have never before seen in Red Dwarf (although we have definitely seen/heard it REFERRED to on numerous occasions), and that we might have expected that we never would see.

Somebody spins Kryten’s nipple nuts.

JamesTC
    Participant

We never actually seen Archie, it is probably that.

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

a tweet from @edmoore

#reddwarf on location #fb twitpic.com/82z7ni

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I know we’re not supposed to be commenting if we attended a filming, but God dammit!! I just gotta!!~
    ~

Gotta point out that this image looks like it could be taken from the “muddy path” around back of Shepperton that all of us Red Dwarf fans were ushered in by…

pfm
    Participant

Hey, it’s still a location!

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Oh yes! Didn’t they film quite a bit of the older stuff around there too? (I want to say Terrorform….but my useless memory prevents me from calling this a fact)

Kris Carter
    Participant

Most of Meltdown… Bits of Rimmerworld…

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

God those cameras. I WANT!!

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I know I’m still not supposed to be speculating, but I am anyways… :P

TOS has just had news that this weeks audience is to use the main entrance and the multi-storey car park facility is available for use. This is due to the previous “back parking lot” being unavailable for this week….

I wonder if those “location” shots are actually from the path we were using as the studio entrance…and they haven’t quite finished with it….maybe there is something there that the audience isn’t meant to see yet?

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> maybe there is something there that the audience isn’t meant to see yet?

Rimmer’s Arm?

KingRichard76
    Participant

They’re using the back entrance because theres another show being Filmed at Shepperton tomorrow – right next door to Stage K.

JamesTC
    Participant

Exclusive on location clip will appear on the Dave website at 5pm.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZocoqxBaj78&feature=youtu.be&a

Not terribly exciting, but this is the first time people will have seen the Cat’s new hairstyle. So… SPECULATE ABOUT THAT, IF YOU CAN.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I speculate that it is a wig…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I speculate that this speculation thread hasn’t really turned out as expected.

redhead85
    Participant

I…really don’t like the wig. The Cat’s wardrobe and mannerisms are over-the-top enough without the wig being ‘blinged up’ too. Meh, probably one of those things we’ll get used to!

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

it looks like Kochanski’s hair in BTE. it’s got quite a 1930’s look to it.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

And still not ginger?!

JamesTC
    Participant

If you pause when it first comes onto Danny and Chris you can see quite a bit of Rob in the full Kryten outfit. Bigger shoulders.

si
    Participant

So is that wig like that *all the time*? It’s not a one episode gag? Eek.

Phil
    Participant

>I speculate that this speculation thread hasn’t really turned out as expected.

I almost feel like I should be banned just for having requested it.

JamesTC
    Participant

Exclusive new image to be revealed tomorrow!

Also, follow Roopesh Parekh on twitter, he is the Marketing and Behind the Scenes Producer for the new series.

pfm
    Participant

Even though it’s only the glimpsiest of (official) glimpses that hardly even looks like Bobby in the Kryten getup. It could be a stand-in or does the mask really look THAT different??

Can someone tell me why they couldn’t just use the BtE mask (which was fine)?

Dax101
    Participant

>Can someone tell me why they couldn’t just use the BtE mask (which was fine)?

id guess its the same reason they didnt use the BTE bunkroom and costumes, and thats doug wanting to make the show fresh as possible and give it a new energy so people cant say the show is tired

thats what im guessing of course

JamesTC
    Participant

Doug said at the time they were doing the mask test with the BTE version (as shown in that video Dave put up), “Kryten mask test today. Learned a lot. Back to drawing board”. The BTE mask did look a little odd around the eyes, I thought. Though from that little glimpse it seems like the new mask is a little dark around the eyes. Still we should wait for a proper look until we start criticising.

Also while searching for the above quote I found this funny tweet that I missed him originally post, it was in response to a person asking him if Duane Dibbley would be back, “I’m damned if I do and damned if I don’t.”

Ridley
    Participant

…Smeg?

The JMC/Space Corps?

More likely smeg.

Squeaky Gibson
    Participant

Liking the new video, Cat’s new hair is very different, may be once we see it in full effect, with costume & danny’s performance it’ll become less noticeable. Given it’s only side shot but does Rimmer have the gel look going on? In the bunk room sessions of BtE they fluffed his hair up to give it more body like earlier series, but then later in you have first footage filmed on Corrie, which he has the gel/slicked look going on. I’m intrigued to think what new image will be, would imagine either another set image or may be promo shot image of Red Dwarf itself, with a tag line. Like they did with Skelton for VII. would be nice if it was cast shot, but is it still too soon?

si
    Participant

Rimmer’s hair looks shorter in the Corrie scenes because they were shot first. His hair looks a little fuller in other shots because it’s grown a bit more. Simple but effective.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Hairwatch with Si Bromley, there.

Kris Carter
    Participant

So three eps in so far, ep 3 at least seems to be off-ship, so it’s reasonable to assume Starbug is in it? Granted, it may just be a model-shot/CGI-shot of the craft leaving Red Dwarf, then landing on the new location, with no cast interiors.

And on the ep 1 point of ‘something not seen/heard before, but referred to on numerous occasions’… I’m still drawing a total blank. Space Corps headquarters? The gazpacho soup incident? Like a freshly cut tree, I’m stumped.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

If Michael McGruder DOES pop up, I’m going to start hitting things.

Phil
    Participant

I think Pete’s on the right track with his episode 3 speculation in the set report thread.

pfm
    Participant

> so it’s reasonable to assume Starbug is in it?

Maybe they will put together a ‘bug cockpit set for the last week of production and shoot bits and bats for a few episodes? If not I would love the next series (fingers crossed) to be largely ‘bug-based.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I reckon the show will be set in space.

Kris Carter
    Participant

That’s some bold thinking there.

Phil
    Participant

Dildonics

Paul Muller
    Participant

Yeah, it’s weird that there’s been no interior stuff in Starbug yet. Could be that they’re waiting til afterwards to complete the set and film it seperately, but then surely that would defeat the point of trying to film it in front of an audience, and also, there’d be some gaping holes in the recordings that we’ve had so far.

Perhaps there’ll be a bit in the second half of the series? Would be a bit disappointed if not – as the show kind of loses a bit of its dynamism if they’re stuck on board Red Dwarf the whole time.

Plot-wise, I’m intrigued as to whether any of the stuff Doug mentioned at DJ, ie. Rimmer’s brother, upgrades to the ship etc, overarching plot, will make it into the final thing.

I’m also looking forward to Norman Lovett’s rumoured bukkake scene in Episode 5.

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

> it’s weird that there’s been no interior stuff in Starbug yet

do we know that For Sure ?

clem
    Participant

> I’m also looking forward to Norman Lovett’s rumoured bukkake scene in Episode 5.

He won’t like the E numbers.

pfm
    Participant

> Plot-wise, I’m intrigued as to whether any of the stuff Doug mentioned at DJ, ie. Rimmer’s brother, upgrades to the ship etc, overarching plot, will make it into the final thing.

While I know nothing about the guest characters I think a relation of Rimmer’s appearing in episode 1 would be a good bet. The funny thing is, those who saw that episode recorded can neither confirm or deny that without breaking the spoiler policy, and that’s great because I want no concrete details whatsoever until broadcast (or a series trailer that completely blows it :P)

locusceruleus
    Participant

>>> I’m also looking forward to Norman Lovett’s rumoured bukkake scene in Episode 5.

>He won’t like the E numbers.

I’m looking forward to the DVD commentary where he complains that the jizz is flying at him from an unflattering angle.

Viewing 61 posts - 1 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.