Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum The Doctor Who Spoilers Thread – Part II

Viewing 100 posts - 101 through 200 (of 325 total)
  • Author
    Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Will he ever go out with anyone he DOESN’T meet on the Who set?

Also, this adds an intriguing new complexion to Time Crash, don’t you think?

Tanya Jones
    Participant

> Jammy git.

Jammy girl, too.

John Hoare
    Participant

I’d like to see them both covered in jam and having sex with each other.

John Hoare
    Participant

Also: RTD mentions in this month’s DWM column that Rose was never meant to appear in The Poison Sky… and then once Partners in Crime was broadcast on the 5th April, he realised it was a mistake that we didn’t see her again for so long. So on the 8th, they went back and re-edited the episode to include her, using footage from a deleted scene.

Excellent.

ChrisM
    Participant

>In other news, according to a few websites, DT is dating Georgia Moffet. Jammy git.

She’s got a child, cos she did a cute video thing with him on the Doctor Who website. When I see woman with kiddie I think, ok, she’s likely involved.

Though of course she could have had the kid from a previous relationship…

In which case I guess DT might be dating her.

Jammy indeed…

Well never mind.

Whats with the whole dating from the set reference? Does he have a history of that? (Throws the whole 10 inch thing in a new light. I though Billie Piper was just being cheeky.)

Considering the amount of time spent there it’s not really surprising. Dates tend to be people you meet. Unless you’re planning on going down the mail order route…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

He was also going out with Sophia Myles who played Madame De Pompadour.

I hate him so much right now.

John Hoare
    Participant

I want to see Georgia Moffett and Sophia Myles lick each other out.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Georgia had her kid at 17, so it’s likely she’s moved on from that relationship, and she didn’t mention the father in DWM.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

When I see woman with kiddie I think, ok, she?s likely involved.

Chris M, there – coming to you directly from 1864.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Whats with the whole dating from the set reference? Does he have a history of that? (Throws the whole 10 inch thing in a new light. I though Billie Piper was just being cheeky.)

As mentioned, he was going out with Sophia Myles for ages, and they first met while doing TGITF. It’s presumably why the chemistry between them in that ep is so great.

But apparently, after her, he was also going out with a crew member – possibly a make-up girl? – for a while.

I mean, it’s hardly THAT surprising. At the end of the day, a lot of people meet their partners through work – his work just happens to involve meeting actresses/crew members! I mean, look at Matthew McFayden and Keeley Hawes (another stupidly attractive couple)…

Tanya Jones
    Participant

I wonder what Peter Davison thinks? :)

ChrisM
    Participant

>Chris M, there – coming to you directly from 1864.

I know, I know. It’s not that much of a stretch to assume a woman with a kid is likely involved though, although I’m well aware of the pattern of nowadays.

I didn’t know he was going with Sophia Myles for real. Mind you, don’t read up much on the real relationships of celebs.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> I know, I know. It?s not that much of a stretch to assume a woman with a kid is likely involved though

Conversely, it’s not much of stretch to assume she isn’t.

ChrisM
    Participant

True.

It’s not just the kiddie thing though.

I guess I just have the grantedly pessimistic.. idea (for me anyway) that if I see a reasonably attractive woman, (or come to think of it most women over 21) she is likely taken already. (Women in general I mean not just celebs I’m never going to meet.)

Yeah I know, everyone is single at some point, but it’s an odds thing really. If I find a girl attractive, it’s likely some other bloke did too and hence got there first. Either that or she has just left a relationship, in which case she isn’t in the mood to see anyone. And the moment she has got over it… boom, she’s involved with someone else.

Having a kiddie too, well, that just seems to increase the already high odds she’s taken. (Course, if we’re going to speak conversely, I guess it could be argued single mothers are less likely to get as much free time to go out and meet someone… but anyway…)

And that’s just women who want to be in a relationship.

That’s not to say that men can’t find women, cos they obviously do. I just figured it was because they were aggressively going out and looking, and it was a matter of beating the odds after a lot of setback. But 2 pretty people (1 with a kiddie), just meeting on a set, and they both happen to be available? Seems high odds to me. (And ironically happens all the time. But I guess that was part of my dubious reasoning.)

I admit my view point is probably pretty skewed (likely that smegging helmet messing with my peripheral vision, ;) ) and has more to say of my lack of socialization and experience in such matters than it has about reality. (I’m really open to a roasting there aren’t I?) That and I’m a bit of a pessimist as a whole about that kind of thing.

Writing my post I realized what a load of rubbish that reasoning probably is. Must. Get. Out. More.

I think I’m right that there are more attractive women in relationships than single though, skewed logic aside. Course attractive is subjective…ok. There are more women in relationships than single.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>That?s not to say that men can?t find women, cos they obviously do. I just figured it was because they were aggressively going out and looking, and it was a matter of beating the odds after a lot of setback.

If you throw enough shit at a wall, some of it’s bound to stick.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Fucking hell, Chris, no wonder you’re single…

Ridley
    Participant

Has he tried going to Helsinki?

pfm
    Participant

Women…you’re miserable without them and you’re fucking miserable with them (i.e. you’re still miserable but there’s some fucking involved).

Miss Moffet probably WAS going out with someone but as soon as the Ten Inch showed any interest she dropped the guy like a stone!!

Andrew
    Participant

If I was David Tennant I’d have sex with everything up to and including the TARDIS. You can’t be that full of sexy and hold it in. It’s just dangerous.

John Hoare
    Participant
    John Hoare
    Participant

Also: this is going to make me sound like a stuck record, and I’m sorry – but I really, REALLY love this picture. It’s one of my favourite publicity photos of the series – and it’s in a similar vein to the photos that really excited me before the series started, and were what made me warm to the idea of Catherine Tate in the show.

I wish I still felt like that now!

pfm
    Participant

I can’t believe you haven’t given her a chance. At times she’s been the best thing about the series!

> Meanwhile – this preview clip cuts off at the most agonising point possible?

OK, 50 Imperial credits (or Republic, if you’re a complete tosser) to whoever guesses what she whispers to him.

I reckon it’s ‘I am your whore.’

Andrew
    Participant

> I can?t believe you haven?t given her a chance. At times she?s been the best thing about the series!

While John is almost completely WRONG about Tate, I don’t doubt for a second that he ‘gave her a chance’!

Still, I agree – I’m finding a more mature, double-act energy coming from Donna, coupled with a less naive emotional capability. I even like the ‘are you kidding me?’ comebacks.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

She still has one or two annoying moments per ep, but she’s done enough to win me over, certainly. And you all know how vehemently I was opposed to her casting.

But I do think she’s been helped by the way she’s been written. Even though I think the standard of writers this year has been lower than ever before (with the possible exception of Moran, there’s no-one bar Moffat and Rusty who I think should be let near it), one thing that they have done is strongly define her character (although you have to overlook the inconsistency of the fact that she simply isn’t the same character from The Runaway Bride). The dynamic between the pair of them (one where she’s far more questioning, in an aggressive rather than wide-eyed way, than any previous companion) has worked superbly. And this was one of my favourite exchanges in SITL :

“Oh *I’m* pretty boy?”
    “Yes! … ooh, that came out a bit quick.”

Andrew
    Participant

> she simply isn?t the same character from The Runaway Bride

It’s always a problem when characters ‘evolve’. Sometime they changed to the point of being someone else, rather than simply ‘growing up’. But I think Donna’s change is absolutely evolutionary (where Martha’s I find crassly simplistic – a bodysnatcher-ish shift that, in fact, really happened in the final episode of series three).

> The dynamic between the pair of them (one where she?s far more questioning, in an aggressive rather than wide-eyed way, than any previous companion) has worked superbly.

This. Yes.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Andrew has this tattoo’d on his right buttock…
    (where Martha?s I find crassly simplistic – a bodysnatcher-ish shift that, in fact, really happened in the final episode of series three)

If we’d seen more of that one year journey she’d made, maybe that shift wouldn’t have seen so bizarre. Fortunately it looks like we’re going to get that story after all, albeit in the form of a new series novel. I’ve already pre-ordered it.

Ridley
    Participant

Are people including her appearance in Torchwood aswell?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Oh, I should point out that above, by “any previous companion” I meant “in the new series”, not “ever”.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Part two, then. Found it enjoyable but underwhelming with a sudden lack of ideas. Too reminiscent of The Matrix and an episode of TNG (the name of which escapes me). I was hoping for something slightly more original.

TBH, Alex Kingston annoys me more than Catherine Tate so I’m in no hurry to see her again (should her appearances happen onscreen and not in one of the occasional intervals between episodes).

As a story, Blink and The Girl in the Fireplace blow it out of the water but I enjoyed it more than The Empty Child/ The Doctor Dances.

Next episode looks exactly the same, btw!

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Ok, form an orderly queue to kick Pete in the trouser vegetables.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

That was NOT a bad review!

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Anything other than saying that episode was perfection is a bad review. Also, Kingston was excellent.

I’ll leave your trouser vegetables alone, though.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

It wasn’t perfection. Perfection = Blink.

I should add that I’m judging this (rather unfairly) as a Moffatt episode rather than a Doctor Who episode. It’s the 2nd best episode of the season (Part one being the best) but a minor disappointment considering the build up.

Vitual Realities, though, do seem to be being done to death in Sci-fi at the moment and, aside from the very clever jump-cuts, there wasn’t much that hadn’t been done elsewhere.

Interesting how the Vashta Nerada were sidelined.

Kingston, bleh. But I liked the denouement and her ending up in a “Heaven” of sorts.

Also, LOVED the Doctor being able to open the TARDIS by snapping his fingers.

John Hoare
    Participant

Right at this moment, I’m saying that – bar the season finales – it’s the best two-parter New Who has ever done. Just amazing.

Just for the number of jaw-dropping and/or cheering moments alone…

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Well, ironically, I’d actually say it was the best two-parter FULL STOP (having the slight edge over Human Nature/House of Blood)). FAR better than any of the season finales.

And yet, I STILL found it disappointing. What a bastard, I am.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>it?s the best two-parter New Who has ever done

Not for me. I’d rank it probably above Satan Pit, but it doesn’t match Empty Child or Human Nature in my book. Still bloody great, though, and what an absolutely wonderful air-punching sequence with the Doctor on one of his rolls towards the end. The finger-clicking moment was wonderful, although you’d just hope it’s not something that gets done all the time (I don’t think it will, personally).

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

What a lovely, lovely man.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I literally loved that two-parter. I adore it.

You don’t understand – I love it. I love it like you’d love your wife, or your country.

John Hoare
    Participant

One other thing – whilst I still don’t love Tate, she was the most bearable she’s been for me these last two episodes. She slipped into the stuff I don’t like occasionally in the first part (“It doesn’t do wood?” is a great line, but I just can’t get past the delivery) – but as the show went on, it really played to (what I see as) her strengths as a performer – the dramatic and the emotional side. The stuff with her and Evangelista was the first time I actually started warming to the character.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Ditto. I think there’s nothing wrong with Tate most of the time – she’s clearly a good actress, which we’ve known from as far back as Big Train – it’s just when she does shouty bits where she annoys me. Her likeability completely depends on the quality of the writing, so when you’ve got Moffatt putting her in a time-jumpy fantasy world, you can’t go far wrong.

John Hoare
    Participant

Yes.

I’ve also got a horrible feeling that Partners In Crime put me off on the wrong foot with the character. For the next five episodes, I couldn’t stop remembering that bloody awful scene with her looking through the door! And that’s not quite as stupid as it sounds – your first meeting (or reaquaintance, in this case) with a character MATTERS.

Andrew
    Participant

> that bloody awful scene with her looking through the door!

Hey, I like that scene! (It’s just the rest of the episode I have problems with…)

John Hoare
    Participant

It’s very odd. Shouting I usually have no problem with per se. And mugging I often have no problem with either, and it bugs me that the word ‘mugging’ is often used in reviews to mean something that’s automatically bad. (Yes, it can be excruciating, but done well it can be fucking hilarious. But I think I mentioned that in all my old Dwarf DVD dissections…)

It’s a VERY specific thing with Tate that I have a problem with. But with the last two episodes, I’ve finally started warming to her character, so who knows. And RTD has said she has a major role in Turn Left, and thinks she puts an amazing performance in, so… we’ll see. Before now, I was dreading it. But now… maybe I WON’T kick the telly in after all!

pfm
    Participant

I really REALLY wish they hadn’t done the whole ‘oh she’s dead…but wait, she’s ALIVE!!!’ thing already with both Astrid in VOTD and, of course, Tennant’s latest acquisition of the vagina set, in The Doctor’s Daughter. That sort of lessened the impact of saving (literally) River Song in this episode.

Still, what a fucking glorious moment that was. That part really made the hairs stand up, with Tennant’s delivery of ‘oh I’m VERY good!!’ being particularly excellent. And what about Murray Gold’s music? Maybe for the first time this series it felt brilliant.

Moffat made the right choice in making the Vashta Nerada (I can’t stop saying ‘Nashta Verada’ dammit!) basically a non-threat in the end and putting all the focus on the characters. Yeah there has to be a monster (though don’t you wish the skull in the helmet was more effective? It never looked remotely like a real skull) but how interesting are they? Not very. The best parts always come from the characters.

One of the things Moffat gets right every time is making the audience THINK. What I hate are what I call the ‘on rails’ episodes where you don’t need a single brain cell to watch them, there’s no interaction audience. OK, there’s no literal interaction but you FEEL like you’re getting more involved. That’s what something like Lost does every episode. You want everyone to be talking about the episode for ages after. You do this by teasing and testing the audience. Moffat is a fucking GENIUS because he knows exactly how to do that. That’s real entertainment, not a CG monster smashing through a door.

We must thank the Lords of Kobol that Moffat takes the reins in 2010 (well, technically Q3 2009 when they start shooting season 5). If you listen the commentary for Forest of the Dead (Moffat, RTD, Tennant) you’ll hear the first clue about episode 1 of that series!

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>And what about Murray Gold?s music? Maybe for the first time this series it felt brilliant.

I thought it was brilliant in the pre-titles sequence for part one, to be honest…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

And my immediate thought was “same mask they used in Family of Blood and last year’s finale, then?’.

pfm
    Participant

For anyone who cares there is a spoiler image here of a certain character who may or may not (keep on kidding yourself) be appearing in the finale.

My immediate thought was Palpatine. It IS real, btw (it’s been removed from OG, and regardless of that you can tell it’s a real shot), so don’t look if you don’t want to know.

pfm
    Participant

You may be right there, Jonathan. Those bloody BBC cutbacks.

Interestingly enough, the pic is spoilery for another minor reason (clue: look at the Dalek).

John Hoare
    Participant

*runs away from thread*

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I’m not a performingmonkey! But he is, and he said…
    Palpatine

As an aside, was anyone else put off by the Emperor’s method of choosing Anakin Skywalker’s new name in Episode III? I imagine it was originally scripted like this:

PALPATINE
    I shall call you Darth…

[ He reaches hand around back of his robe, there is a tug and a plop! sound. Emperor’s hand comes back into view holding a small round plastic egg which he then opens. It contains a small piece of paper. He reads from it… ]

PALPATINE (Cont.)
    …Vader!

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>It IS real, btw (it?s been removed from OG, and regardless of that you can tell it?s a real shot)

Yeah, that’s definitely real. The stuff that we know for definite, based on descriptions of a genuine embargoed promotional image that’s out there, is that he has a wide headrest behind his head, and that there are buckles on his tunic. Both of those are present and correct in that pic, so I’d say it’s real. Looks good to me!

Andrew
    Participant

Forest of the Dead was so good that I went out today and bought a sonic screwdriver with free psychic paper and wallet. True story.

Don’t usually bother with the online commentaries, but in this week’s Davies, Moffat and Tennant barely mention the episode itself in their hurry to discuss the change of showrunner…

pfm
    Participant

One of the funniest things in that commentary is when they say how Steve Pemberton was supposed to be doing it but couldn’t so they get Tennant instead. RTD simply can’t believe that the Doctor is the standby for the commentary!

Interestingly enough, there’s only one person who can talk more on a commentary than RTD and that’s Moffat!! He’ll have to learn though. How crazy is he giving clues for an episode we won’t be seeing for 22 months??

Another thing, we were previously led to believe that RTD has nothing to do with Moffat’s scripts and just lets him get on with it with no interference. Evidently not so. I reckon it’s a shame the two of them couldn’t have collaborated on the entireity of series 4 with no other writers (Moran’s Fires of Pompeii could stay).

Despite the joke of Tennant sending Moffat his CV for series 5 I don’t think he will, or should, do it. Moffat should start his rein with a brand new Doctor, otherwise he’s finishing what the previous showrunner started. Ten should go in the final RTD episode (Christmas ’09?). I think that will be more than enough Tennant. The worst thing would be a season too many. You want it so people AREN’T clamouring for him to leave. And NO James Nesbitt cannot, will not be the 11th Doctor!!!

Andrew
    Participant

> Another thing, we were previously led to believe that RTD has nothing to do with Moffat?s scripts and just lets him get on with it with no interference

See, I always thought people grabbed onto this simplistic view insanely quickly. We’ve all seen the footage of the tone meetings – Moffat didn’t, for example, come up with the clockwork nature of TGITF’s robots. He’s writing on someone else’s show and doesn’t create in a vacuum.

RTD makes the odd ‘I don’t have to touch them’ comment – quick, publicity-friendly praise based on a general ‘he delivers great scripts’ idea – and suddenly it’s ‘see, Moffat doesn’t need Davies and his WAYS’. Of course there are rewrites, of course there are changes, and of course the exec producer and huge creative team do more than simply bend to the will of Moffat’s words.

> Moffat should start his rein with a brand new Doctor

I don’t think ‘should’ at all. ‘Could’, or ‘might’, but being ‘stuck’ with a brilliant actor in a career-defining part is no bad thing. Tennant’s a long way from outstaying his welcome.

It’s an odd fan thing, to want the edges so tidy, as if having a great leading man roll over is somehow hampering to creativity.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I think it’d be hugely preferable to *not* have a clean break. Tennant should stay on to smooth the transition. Having *everything* change at once is a huge gamble, and anything to ease the burden has got to be grabbed with both hands.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Quite. And I really do think they’ll struggle to find anyone half as good.

John Hoare
    Participant

By the end of next year, Tennant will have done four years in the role. That’s longer than any other actor since Colin Baker (ignoring McCoy’s long wait).

I wouldn’t mind him staying on for a fifth year at all… but I can’t see it happening. He’ll probably want to move on. The benefit is that at least one of the big specials next year will be his regeneration, which is worthy of big fuck-off special.

Andrew
    Participant

> That?s longer than any other actor since Colin Baker (ignoring McCoy?s long wait).

True, but those are unusual years – Baker fired, McCoy cancelled, McGann not picked up, Eccleston used as a series spark plug…

…or did you mean TOM Baker? Which would also be accurate. (Or at least on-par.)

John Hoare
    Participant

Gah, I meant Tom Baker!

I’m OBSESSED.

John Hoare
    Participant

Anyway, I haven’t really got an opinion on this – it depends where Moffat wants to take the show, and we don’t really know details yet. Depending on what his vision for the show is, it’s either a good idea for Tennant to stay on, or a bad idea.

I really don’t think Tennant will want to do a fifth year, though. But that’s pure guesswork.

pfm
    Participant

The specials pretty much amount to half a series so it’s not as though he’s NOT doing a 5th year in the role. I just get the nagging feeling that with everything else new in 2010 Tennant shouldn’t be there. If series 5 was going to be the last ever series then I would say he should definitely stay on, but other than that I’m hoping for a brand new fresh Moffat-created Doctor and companion pairing.

I want the first episode of series 5 to be like the equivalent of ‘Rose’ where everyone was excited not knowing what the show was going to be like. With Tennant there we would already know because in a way it would be same-old same-old. In some ways I’m sick of his mannerisms as the Doctor. I don’t DISLIKE his Doctor but it’s coming around to the point where major change would help the show.

Andrew
    Participant

> I?m hoping for a brand new fresh Moffat-created Doctor and companion pairing.

Though Tennant remaining wouldn’t prevent this…

I suspect – given comments about Tennant coasting through series 4 (when he blatantly isn’t, even if the writing sometimes is) – this is more about your tiring of the actor than anything else. Certainly I don’t see how losing him would ‘help the show’ – would a Moffat series with a new actor be automatically better than one that kept the current incumbent? Not likely.

Plus the number of people who could easily follow Tennant are not many in number.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I think it would be strange for him to leave before Series 5, as surely the main reason for doing specials next year (as opposed to a full series) is to accommodate him.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Why would it be strange, though? He’ll be in all the specials (which exist to accommodate his work load) but not in series 5 (which doesn’t exist to accommodate his work load).

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Because the fact that there’s only 4 of them seems like a way of giving Tennant a break so he can do other stuff and be refreshed for another 13 episodes in 2010.

Or maybe I’m just hopelessly optimistic. In my defence, he’s the only actor I really like in the role (but then again, I haven’t clocked up a full tenure with any of the others aside from McGann and Eccleston).

Colin Baker’s first scene was enough to convince me he was a twat and his performance in The Two Doctors didn’t change that initial opinion. I did try and watch a few “classic” episodes on the anniversary weekend on UKGold recently but it wasn’t for me (aside from An Unearthly Child which was at least accessible).

pfm
    Participant

Slay me if you like but IMO Tom Baker, Troughton, Eccleston and (eventually) Tennant simply ARE the Doctor in their episodes. The others are the actors playing the Doctor. Maybe the later Tom Baker era suffers from that a little too, but you can’t touch him in that role from seasons 12 through 16.

Because Tennant was intent on playing the Doctor as a character as opposed to being all natural I think he took a while to get used to. It didn’t help that his first main story (New Earth) was pretty crap, Tooth & Claw a mediocre runaround and School Reunion fanwank crossed with a CBBC plot and villains. Eccleston’s first three eps were MUCH better (I don’t care what anyone says, I fucking love Rose and End of the World). His whole season was hugely better than Tennant’s first in terms of writing.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Monkey, this is one of those rare occasions where I agree with you (although I enjoyed Tooth & Claw).

>Slay me if you like but IMO Tom Baker, Troughton, Eccleston and (eventually) Tennant simply ARE the Doctor in their episodes. The others are the actors playing the Doctor.

Funnily enough, one of the biggest reasons Tom Baker was so convincing as the Doctor is because he more or less became the Doctor, twenty-four hours a day (in his autobiography he as much as admits that this wasn’t any good for his psychological health).

In other news, has anyone else seen anything of the First Doctor? It’s just that (after giving up the first time around and trying again once I got my fancy-pants new computer) I recently contrived to have “The War Machines” turn up innocently on my hard drive in nearly-ten-minute chunks, and I really like William Hartnell’s take on the character.

ChrisM
    Participant

I did try and watch a few ?classic? episodes on the anniversary weekend on UKGold recently but it wasn?t for me (aside from An Unearthly Child which was at least accessible).

I was never that keen on the classic doctor series either. Then I saw City of Death this year.

Rather good.

Moffat didn?t, for example, come up with the clockwork nature of TGITF?s robots.

From a realism point of view maybe they shouldn’t have gone that route. I didn’t really think the clockwork droids fitted with the tech of the ship.

Have to admit, I really liked them though.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

In other news, has anyone else seen anything of the First Doctor? It?s just that (after giving up the first time around and trying again once I got my fancy-pants new computer) I recently contrived to have ?The War Machines? turn up innocently on my hard drive in nearly-ten-minute chunks, and I really like William Hartnell?s take on the character.

I shall come back… yes, I shall come back.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Ep twelve title (apparently) confirmed by the Beeb. It’s one of the already-mooted ones, and to be quite frank, it’s not spoilerish in the slightest (highlight to see) : The Stolen Earth

Michael Warren
    Participant

You can find the info at http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/wk27/sat.shtml#sat_doctorwho (contains mild spoilers)

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Chris M doesn’t look like Judie Dench…
    From a realism point of view maybe they shouldn?t have gone that route. I didn?t really think the clockwork droids fitted with the tech of the ship.

Y’see, I disagree. The clockwork men are repair droids. That’s their sole purpose. It makes sense that the ship would need something that can’t be taken out by, say, a strong EMP. “Analog” droids are perfect for this – they are more than likely powered by kinetic energy, not electrical.

John Hoare
    Participant

Going back to the Doctors for a moment – I don’t think there has been a miscast Doctor yet. But then, I think it’s very difficult to miscast the role – the show is so adaptable that you can shape it around pretty much anybody.

But I think you underrate Hartnell at your peril. He’s amazing, fluffs and all. And anybody who thinks that the Doctor and love stories are original to New Who needs to go and watch The Aztecs – and Hartnell shines in it.

ChrisM
    Participant

Y?see, I disagree. The clockwork men are repair droids. That?s their sole purpose. It makes sense that the ship would need something that can?t be taken out by, say, a strong EMP. ?Analog? droids are perfect for this – they are more than likely powered by kinetic energy, not electrical.

I didn’t think of that, good point actually.

And also, on eventuality the ship has no power, the droids still have a power source.

What’s with the Judie Dench?

ChrisM
    Participant

And… very interesting picture.

Strange, completely naked apart from the shades, I can’t quite make out her face. The nose and lips look familiar… Piper?

>But I think you underrate Hartnell at your peril. He?s amazing, fluffs and all.

I know. I’m saying he’s excellent! Even when he fluffs a line, it lends to the overall notion that the First Doctor is an incredibly intelligent (and more than a bit secretive) person playing the role of “eccentric old man”.

I think next I might have a Patrick Troughton story land innocently in my hard drive. Any suggestions (for either the First or Second Doctors)?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

It’s gotta be Tomb of the Cybermen for Troughton, surely?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Dodgy racial attitudes aside!

John Hoare
    Participant

Yeah, Toberman is really dodgy. But apart from that, it’s an excellent serial. I also recommend The Invasion.

God, the survival rate of the Troughton era is just depressing. Enough of the Hartnells survive to get a good indication of the era, but huge swathes of Troughton eps just don’t exist.

pfm
    Participant

All the surviving Troughton’s that I’ve seen (episodes I mean, not members of his family who seem to crop on on everything :)) have been stellar. Tomb, The Invasion, Seeds of Death, The Mind Robber(my personal favourite). And Evil of the Daleks is one of the best Dalek stories but sadly aside from one episode it only exists in audio form. It’s a CRYING shame that the Troughton era doesn’t exist in its entireity.

> I can?t quite make out her face. The nose and lips look familiar? Piper?

Surely you should recognise the nipple from Secret Diary of a Call Girl…

Tanya Jones
    Participant

FFS PM; think of those of us at work!

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Ooh yes, The Mind Robber is excellent.

Baz
    Participant

>It?s a CRYING shame that the Troughton era doesn?t exist in its entireity.

As well as the others- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incomplete_Doctor_Who_serials

Invent a FTL drive, get ahead of the TV signal as it spreads out from Earth and record them. Or ask some nice neighbourhood aliens, lessee… Ah, the inhabitants of Zeta Reticuli (39 light years out, binary system, G-type stars) will just have finished enjoying the Troughton era. You can go ask them. Hmm, Chigs or Pierin, I’d suggest the latter. Stay clear of LV-426 though…

pfm
    Participant

Here we go with another REAL spoiler image.

I have to say I’m most pleased. Although it still looks like Tennant’s makeup from Last of the Time Lords, albeit a different colour. Whatever, that’s being too picky, it looks great. Now we’ve got to trust Julian Bleach to give us a good performance. His voice is 100% perfect.

ChrisM
    Participant

Another minor spoiler-

Did the original Davros have that “thing” on the forehead area? (I know what it is, I’m just trying to keep the spoilers to a minimal.) Either way, it’s a nice little link to the look of the daleks….

….unclothed, so to speak.

Andrew
    Participant

> Did the original Davros have that ?thing? on the forehead area?

Yes.

Typing ‘Davros’ into Google can be so tiring, though, can’t it? :-)

pfm
    Participant

Does he have an all-mechanical body? It would make sense if you consider past episodes. They probably won’t deal with it.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Whoa. Is that officially allowed to be out there now, or has someone been naughty?

I think he looks fantastic. It’s a brilliant piece of updating, and a nice cross between the Wisher and Molloy versions. I like that the chair is black rather than gold, as well. And the red Dalek looks great, too – but I will be bloody annoyed if it turns out to be who/what it’s rumoured to be…

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Hey, notice how the red Dalek doesn’t have a “name tag”…?

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

What’s it rumoured to be?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Highlight : Harriet Jones

Andrew
    Participant

I wrote the following towards the end of series two:

“It’s worth asking, though, what’s next for this production. Last year, to make the schedule work, they wrote a sub-plot in for a minor character (it involved having a hatch put into his forehead. Not especially inspired). Just so the main actors could have a break. This year they made an entire episode without the mains (a couple of scenes aside).

My suggestion: split the buggers up. Doctor goes one way, companion goes the other. Then you spend two weeks on a single storyline, told from both sides, from two perspectives. You can even cliffhanger the companion’s half, then resolve it at the 30-minute mark of the Doctor’s ep.”

While it’s not a single story, it DOES sound like the next two eps of series four are a ‘Doctor episode’ then a ‘Donna episode’. Which proves I am a scripty legend. (As if the ‘Work’ quotes on andrewellard.com didn’t already. :-))

pfm
    Participant

I reckon something’s gonna happen at the end of ‘Midnight’ that’s gonna leave the Doctor either stranded somewhere or actually DEAD, from a certain point of view. Donna will pilot the Tardis back home herself at the start of ‘Turn Left’ (that’s why they showed her using the controls a few episodes back) then Rose will appear saying something like ‘Donna Noble? Hi, my name’s Rose Tyler…’ cut to intro. Or that might be how ‘Midnight’ ends.

Andrew
    Participant

> Which proves I am a scripty legend.

Though obviously it would have been more impressive if I’d just written “Steven Moffat should write Blink”.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Firstly: Davros. Looks. Fucking. AWESOME. All my worries about him just looking like old Doctor have gone. That mask is fucking brilliant and terrifying.

Secondly: I agree with ‘monkey. These last episodes are going to be a four part finale in the same way that last year’s was three part.

John Hoare
    Participant

Yeah, I can’t remember whether I said that earlier in the thread, but ever since I saw that RTD wrote the last four episodes, I’ve thought of it in my head as a big four-parter. Equivalent to an EIGHT-parter in old series terms…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Just in case any of you haven’t seen the HUGE resolution photo of You-Know-Who:

http://www.cpnet.co.uk/oldnoeyes.jpg

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Also, for those who care:

Empty Dances > Human of Blood > Silence in the Forest > The Impossible Pit

Viewing 100 posts - 101 through 200 (of 325 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.