Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Worst lines ever

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 302 total)
  • Author
    Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

For reasons too tedious to go into, I decided to put myself through watching “Only The Good” yesterday.

“Talia! The nanobots must have resurrected you, too!”

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Argggggghhh.

That’s up there with:

“Master, sir, I heard Yoda talking about midi-chlorians. I’ve been wondering…what are midi-chlorians?”

On a Red Dwarf (and non VII, VIII) note;

“What do we do, whisper “charge”, tippytoe up to them all screaming “shhh” and chloroform them with Lister’s armpits?”

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that line, aside from the fact that Chris says “Lister’s armpits” when he’s looking at Craig. As a consequence, it feels less like conversation and more overtly like scripted dialogue.

Dave
    Participant

>There?s absolutely nothing wrong with that line, aside from the fact that Chris says ?Lister?s armpits? when he?s looking at Craig

It’s really jarring, isn’t it?

JamesTC
    Participant

>>There?s absolutely nothing wrong with that line, aside from the fact that Chris says ?Lister?s armpits? when he?s looking at Craig

>It?s really jarring, isn?t it?

I thought the same thing when I watched it on Friday.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I could be wrong but I think Chris does it in another episode as well.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> ?Master, sir, I heard Yoda talking about midi-chlorians. I?ve been wondering?what are midi-chlorians??

Don’t say that word!

JamesTC
    Participant

“Blue Midget is loaded”.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

?Blue Midget is loaded?

To be fair though. Wasn’t that Robert’s first line on Dwarf? The accent hadn’t been nailed down yet.

JamesTC
    Participant

A deleted scene shows his first, it is a scene from ‘Bodyswap’ and available in the Bodysntcher box set, it is much worse.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

They’re not particularly bad lines, though, just poor delivery. I was thinking more of lines that are utterly, entirely misguided in a writing sense. Like : the Talia one. Which is just a painfully horrible, glaring and out-of-place piece of plot-covering.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

*waits for John to come along to talk about “that ion storm really did her head in, man”*

“Spin my nipple-nuts and send me to Alaska” never seems to sound like a line by the same pens that gave us “god-awful chirpy, gerbil-faced optimism”.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>*waits for John to come along to talk about ?that ion storm really did her head in, man?*

One of my most hateds too.

>They?re not particularly bad lines, though, just poor delivery. I was thinking more of lines that are utterly, entirely misguided in a writing sense.

*shuffles* Sorry Seb.

I can’t really think of any aside beyond “What’s an Iguana?”. Well, unless I look beyond Series 1-VI and I think we know where that will take this thread.

ChrisM
    Participant

“We didn’t come here looking for trouble… we came to do the Red Dwarf shuffle.”
    “He’s smart…”

I always feel like wincing when I hear that bit. And it isn’t because I’m sitting on the lavvie when I’m watching that episode.

Bit of toilet humor for you there.

pfm
    Participant

Many Cat lines from VI onwards, but mostly VI. Not Danny’s fault, just the silly writing (that’s right, ‘silly’). The line from OoT I mentioned before, ‘if I had to force-feed you a refrigerator every time you did something gross you’d have to go on a fridge-free diet!’ Also, the line about Rimmer screwing up cups ‘and we’re not talking styrofoam here, we’re talking enamel!’

JamesTC
    Participant

>Also, the line about Rimmer screwing up cups ?and we?re not talking styrofoam here, we?re talking enamel!?

I like that line but I agree the fridge free diet joke falls flat.

pfm
    Participant

> but I agree the fridge free diet joke falls flat.

Flatter than a family of hedgehogs after a trip to Tyres R Us. Flatter than Mr Lister’s belly on ‘colonic night’. Flatter than that time Mr Rimmer’s power was so low he had to run in 2D mode. Flatter than JK Rowling’s 2010 follow-up to Harry Potter – ‘Janice Isherwood and the Paedophilic Sect of St Stephen’. Flatter than your girlfriend’s chest…once I’ve done with those juicy motherfucking titties, psyche.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

Flatter than a joke about Oscar Wilde witticisms that’s been rolled up, dipped in lemon and jabbed into someone’s eye?

Dave
    Participant

>I didn?t come here looking for trouble, I just came to do the Red Dwarf shuffle.

I love the Red Dwarf shuffle.

Jo
    Participant

>>I didn?t come here looking for trouble, I just came to do the Red Dwarf shuffle.

>I love the Red Dwarf shuffle.

Same here :o)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Was never keen on the Cat’s “Deader than …” gags.

The iguana gag is awful and I’m another who squirms at the shitness of the Red Dwarf shuffle.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

“Ah look, it’s a bucket and spade!”

In the same episode as Lister being the only person on the entire ship being capable of using the Time Wand. It’s bad enough making Lister stupid all of a sudden, but it’s the massive inconsistency that takes the biscuit.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

“Put it on your head, it makes your hair stand on end”

Purely because it ruins Holly’s only good line of series 8.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Oh yes, those ones. See also: “as if your todger with a couple of eyes on it would look like a French movie star – way too good looking”. Yes, we got it.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Indeed.

And “I was thrown for a minute by the bib and the bonnet. I thought that was the baby at first”

And special mention to:

“Just check that chair again for me, Kryten. Just double check the chair again. Just check that chair one last time”.

Not over-explaining the joke, just over-using what was at first one of the funniest throwaway lines of the series.

locusceruleus
    Participant

>?We didn?t come here looking for trouble? we came to do the Red Dwarf shuffle.?

I think that’s sort of endearingly pathetic. And at least he didn’t follow it up with “My name is Lister and I’m here to say…”

>Also, the line about Rimmer screwing up cups ?and we?re not talking styrofoam here, we?re talking enamel!?

Agreed, “and we’re not talking styrofoam!” would have been perfectly adequate.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

In the same episode as Lister being the only person on the entire ship being capable of using the Time Wand. It?s bad enough making Lister stupid all of a sudden, but it?s the massive inconsistency that takes the biscuit.

Purest example of VIII’s tendency to shoehorn in jokes purely for the sake of a joke that occurred to the writers, rather than having them grow organically from the characters. I think the “bucket and spade” gag is actually, on its own, a quite inherently funny joke. It’s just not Lister at that point in time. At all. Have, for example, a scene where the Canaries are travelling on a mission and, say, Killcrazy’s doing a join-the-dots to pass the time, and it would be fine.

Now watch me fight John over the fact that that argument doesn’t apply to “What’s an iguana?”

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

“I’ve no fish to embarrass you any further, I’ll just let myself trout.”

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

> I think the ?bucket and spade? gag is actually, on its own, a quite inherently funny joke. It?s just not Lister at that point in time.

I dunno…I alway felt it fitted with the little vein of random stupidity in Lister that led him to read Spot the Dog books.

“What’s an Iguana?” – without opening a can of worms, I always assumed that iguanas were endangered / less known in the future…or that Lister had been away from Earth for a while and had no interest in or knowledge of its fauna.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

It was “Ben” the dog, and bear in mind that was Rimmer’s view of Lister’s reading experience.

Lister doesn’t read books because he’s stupid, it’s because he’s bone idle.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

> It was ?Ben? the dog, and bear in mind that was Rimmer?s view of Lister?s reading experience.

Wasn’t talking about that bit. He’s reading Spot the Dog when they’re in Blue Midget waiting for Cat to arrive in his tailored spacesuit (in Kryten).

locusceruleus
    Participant

>?I?ve no fish to embarrass you any further, I?ll just let myself trout.?

I liked that, though Robert coming back in after delivering it and blubbering was unnecessary and a dire warning of Kryten’s future.

peas_and_corn
    Participant

>Lister doesn?t read books because he?s stupid, it?s because he?s bone idle.

He *did* learn the Cat written language pretty fast, though

“A knight escaped from the AR machine”

HUH??

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

> He *did* learn the Cat written language pretty fast, though

He has an intelligent nose. Also, I think he says Holly translated it for him.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Photobucket

Oh no!

locusceruleus
    Participant

>Also, I think he says Holly translated it for him.

He does.

Though not a spoken line, I nominate ‘THE SMEG IT IS’ as worst ever. I have to confess, I didn’t even understand what the fuck that was supposed to mean when I first watched it. I sat there for about 5 minutes repeating it to myself. “The…smeg…it is?”

I blame that on my mind being thoroughly numbed by the preceding half hour.

Excuse me Sir, my brain appears to have melted.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

The Smeg? It is.

peas_and_corn
    Participant

The, smeg, it, is:

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

?A knight escaped from the AR machine?

HUH??

Well hot dog, we have a weiner.

locusceruleus
    Participant

I should add that I did figure it out later the same night. I believe I woke up screaming.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Wasn?t talking about that bit. He?s reading Spot the Dog when they?re in Blue Midget waiting for Cat to arrive in his tailored spacesuit (in Kryten).

I always thought that was a neat, ironic callback to Rimmer’s earlier “books with a dog called Ben” line, though. Whether it was ironic on Lister’s part or just the makers’, it was a nice touch.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

I always presumed it was part of Lister’s character in the earlier series – like “Would you put it back together when you’d finished with it?”

I know they were still working out the kinks and in early days he was more of a whacked-out space bum. But it’s still Listy.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Why WOULD Lister know what an iguana was? I’m more concerned that he evolves from a third technician to someone capable of flying Starbug…

locusceruleus
    Participant

>Why WOULD Lister know what an iguana was? I?m more concerned that he evolves from a third technician to someone capable of flying Starbug?

Maybe you can incorporate his time spent as a hopper-taxi driver in Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers. Meh, I don’t know.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I?m more concerned that he evolves from a third technician to someone capable of flying Starbug?

After four years of sitting around with nothing to do but learn things, it’s pretty plausible to me. Lister’s not thick – the only reason he’s a Third Technician is that that’s all he wants to be. The crux of his development throughout the series is him learning that as soon as he applies himself, he can achieve anything.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

True, although we never see him being that interested. In any case, I don’t see anything wrong with the iguana line…

JamesTC
    Participant

I find it even weirder that Cat can fly a Star Bug.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

?A knight escaped from the AR machine?

HUH??

Futurama stole this.

hummingbird
    Participant

>Purely because it ruins Holly?s only good line of series 8.

Holly had a good line in VIII?

ChrisM
    Participant

>Holly had a good line in VIII?

“It’s times like this I’m glad I’m just a head.”
    (Or words to that affect.)-Krytie TV

I rather liked the ‘rodent-bottomed’ gag too, terrible though it is. In fact the awfulness is part of what makes it funny to me.

pfm
    Participant

In the new episodes they should SEE an iguana (I don’t know, they end up at Chester Zoo or something…) and Lister should be like ‘oh, so that’s an iguana’. It would be well funny.

locusceruleus
    Participant

>In the new episodes they should SEE an iguana (I don?t know, they end up at Chester Zoo or something?) and Lister should be like ?oh, so that?s an iguana?. It would be well funny.

Yup, all seventeen of us will be in hysterics.

locusceruleus
    Participant

“Two weeks of hell would become…potato paradise!”

“See you in ten minutes?
    See you in ten minutes?
    See you in ten minutes?
    See you in ten minutes?
    See you in ten minutes?”

“This machine’s amazing! Do you think it can do boob-jobs too?”

*facepalm*

Phil
    Participant

I don’t actually dislike “potato paradise…”

locusceruleus
    Participant

Well, its not the very worst. The laboured delivery combined with the baffling amount of studio laughter really kills it for me though.

Carlito
    Participant

SICKBAGS ON STANDBY

Carlito
    Participant

VIII had some great lines too, though.

“Goddammit, Rimmer! I wanted that! I mean… the lab boys wanted that…”

locusceruleus
    Participant

Well, I definitely think Mac did great with what he was given.

ChrisM
    Participant

>?See you in ten minutes?

I didn’t like that either. If they’d done it a couple of times, three at most. And then in the next scene we find out they somehow managed to still leave the wand on the captain’s desk (if I remember correctly. I can’t be bothered rechecking right now.)

I didn’t mind the ‘boob job’ gag though. It was so, her.

ChrisM
    Participant

Her being Kochanski I mean. Not the generic ‘her’ although it is a very female oriented gag. Not that I’m suggesting all girls are out to augment their plumpies, but.. oh… never mind…

locusceruleus
    Participant

>I didn?t mind the ?boob job? gag though. It was so, her.

I never really thought of Kochanski as especially self-doubting or superficial…maybe I’m forgetting things. Though to be honest I think one of the biggest let downs of VII/VIII is that we didn’t really get to know her properly.

She could have been a great character if a plot device had been found to expand on her past like Lister and Rimmer’s were so effectively in the early episodes.

Dave
    Participant

“But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!”

Actually it’s the delivery that ruins this forgettable line

CleverAndKnowsIt
    Participant

With regards to the AR night; everyone is aware that both that episode of Futurama (I think it was “Kif gets knocked up another notch”) and I dare say this episode of Red Dwarf were parodying Star Trek’s holodeck episodes, aren’t they?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

The very problem with that line is it illustrates that we have no idea who she is in Series VIII. Her character in Series VII may have been annoying, but at least she had some definable characteristics beyond “woman”.

Phil
    Participant

>this episode of Red Dwarf [was] parodying Star Trek?s holodeck episodes

I’m all for a good parody, but when the knight’s escape is used by one character to explain to other characters about the death of somebody they’ve been traveling with for 200+ years, and for some reason they ACCEPT that without followup questions, the “parody” then has real, ugly, Dwarf-universe repercussions.

ChrisM
    Participant

The very problem with that line is it illustrates that we have no idea who she is in Series VIII. Her character in Series VII may have been annoying, but at least she had some definable characteristics beyond ?woman?.

That’s a good point actually. She did show a vulnerable, paranoid side in series 7, when she sensed Kryten didn’t like her, doubting herself. So she has her insecure moments.

I didn’t take her as being overtly superficial though, but I think she would worry about her appearance to a degree. Probably not to the extent of getting an actual boob job (implants, lifts etc.) but the idea of a time-wand returning them to an (ahem) perkier incarnation, may have been tempting. Not that she looked to me like she had any problems in that dept (now I sound like a perv), but I’ve noticed that a lot of girls who undergo surgery were hardly auditioning for ‘Miss Sahara Desert’ to start with. Hence the esteem thing.

I’m sure it was just a passing thought she voiced, and she wouldn’t have carried it out if the wand hadn’t been wrecked.

Ridley
    Participant

I?m all for a good parody, but when the knight?s escape is used by one character to explain to other characters about the death of somebody they?ve been traveling with for 200+ years, and for some reason they ACCEPT that without followup questions, the ?parody? then has real, ugly, Dwarf-universe repercussions.

What should they be asking?

———-

“No offence-“
    “None taken, ugly.”

Phil
    Participant

>What should they be asking?

Some likely examples:
    “Huh?”
    “What?”
    “How?”

Or alternatively, if they’re feeling more verbose:
    “Is that possible?”
    “How did you arrive at that conclusion?”
    “Are we still in danger?”

Or in terms of continuity/interest:
    “Why has this never been a danger before?”
    “How did a hologram die?”
    “Can’t we just bring him back like the countless other time’s he’s shut down?”

As an experiment, lock a friend of yours in the closet. When people start asking where he is, tell them that Dr. Wily escaped from your Mega Man cartridge and killed him. Record for us, please, whether or not there are then any followup questions.

Ridley
    Participant

Cat (probably) doesn’t care and what reason would Kryten have to believe Lister’s lying?

Phil
    Participant

>what reason would Kryten have to believe Lister?s lying?

The fact that he’s been established as our only reliable in-universe reference point? Kryten ain’t no foo’.

hummingbird
    Participant

>The very problem with that line is it illustrates that we have no idea who she is in Series VIII. Her character in Series VII may have been annoying, but at least she had some definable characteristics beyond ?woman?.

Yes, this is the main gripe I have about VIII Kochanski. I really liked her in VII – even though I hate most of VII, I still like her character – there was real potential there, and Chloe was great.
    Is it that Doug can’t write female characters? Or was was she simply neglected in VIII? Both?

Ridley
    Participant

The fact that he?s been established as our only reliable in-universe reference point? Kryten ain?t no foo?.

It’s a knight. I think he can come up with ways that one of those he saw earlier could kill a man he’s been told is under quarantine and ill. Having seen a hologram in Langstrom die. Having known they all have died. Having been affected by a virus that required the AR to fight it.

Kryten doesn’t need to see a knight step out of a smoky AR door because we already have. Even though it turns out to be Lister you don’t need a reason on how it was there because you were told why it was there. There’s nothing wrong with the process working in reverse.

So what would your resolution to that scene be?

Phil
    Participant

>So what would your resolution to that scene be?

I can assure you the scene would have been abandoned long before I needed to decide on a resolution.

Besides, I’m sure nobody’s interested in Phil’s Totally Awesome Alternate Fan-Scene. Whether or not I come up with something “better” is immaterial. It’s just a question of which Dwarf moments resonate with us, and which seem clunky.

Ridley
    Participant

Well I wasn’t asking for something better or a scene, I was trying to find out what you thought could be done with what was there to be satisfied.

Phil
    Participant

I know better than to seek satisfaction in series VII.

Lonely Among Us
    Participant

In less time it takes a Norwegian to buy ski boots. Cringe.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Well I wasn?t asking for something better or a scene, I was trying to find out what you thought could be done with what was there to be satisfied.

Given that there’s already an earlier scene where Rimmer, as “Ace”, says that “Rimmer” is quarantined in the bunkroom with “a rather nasty holo-virus”, I’d say there’s a pretty fucking obvious solution right in front of them.

JamesTC
    Participant

Given that there?s already an earlier scene where Rimmer, as ?Ace?, says that ?Rimmer? is quarantined in the bunkroom with ?a rather nasty holo-virus?, I?d say there?s a pretty fucking obvious solution right in front of them.

The pan-dimensional liquid beast from the Mogodan cluster killed him, it is so obvious.

pfm
    Participant

If Back To Earth feels worse than VII when it airs I’m not even gonna come on here because I know I won’t want to read the comments and I won’t trust what I will write either. If it’s on par with VIII or above (in terms of quality, not how it looks or anything, which I’m guessing is gonna be closer to VII) then I’ll be happy. I reckon it would be too much to expect for BTE to be up there with the best of Dwarf. Of course, it would be amazing if it was.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

But VII is better than VIII.

Phil
    Participant

>If Back To Earth feels worse than VII when it airs I?m not even gonna come on here

Actually, if this is the case, I will come RIGHT HERE in the hopes that the G+T admins/commenters can at least provide me with some hilarious disappointed review.

JamesTC
    Participant

VIII is greater than VII.

Carlito
    Participant

VIII > VII

Rad
    Participant

That line ‘you have all the wit and sophistication of an alsatian dog after a headswap operation’ is terrible.

Also, II, IV, V, VI – the great Red Dwarf series.

John Hoare
    Participant

No III? SACRILEGE.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

VIII > VII

[Walter Raleigh] Only numerically speaking, we do not count VIII, as none of those have spoken favourably of VIII, and lived. [/Walter Raleigh]

Carlito
    Participant

[Walter Raleigh] LOLz, just kidding [/Walter Raleigh]

ChrisM
    Participant

>But VII is better than VIII.

I agree. And I wanted to even the numbers since it was 2-1 in 8’s favour.

Anonymous
    Inactive

And just before I scoot off on a long weekend I’ll tip the balance and also champion VII over VIII.

Stroke me a slipper. I’ll be back for iftar.

pfm
    Participant

If you count the BITR complete cut then VIII > VII. A handful of sequences in VII are impressive – some of Tikka (‘it’s that man we found’, the scene with Lister and Kennedy in the van)), the end bit of Stoke (sadly marred by the shit CG), the Rimmer Experience, the kiss, hand pick up the ball (OK I’m lying about that one, I just don’t like it), ‘it’s an obscene phonecall…’, ‘Kryten, what have I done?’ ‘Well, you’ve brought the 20th Century to the very brink of extinction, sir. Gum?’ (I only like that one because it made me and my mate start saying random sentences and ending them with ‘Gum?’ e.g. ‘I’ve been sleeping with your wife for the last 6 months and she’s loved every fucking second of it. Gum?’ ah…)

Thinking about it they’re probably on par with one another. Nanarchy is shit, godawful. So is Only The Good… Each has one decent episode, Tikka and Cassandra (though Cassandra is the best of both series’). Each has a mostly wank one focussing on Kryten – Beyond A Joke and Krytie TV (though each provides at least some laughs). VII has less laughs though, it’s a fact.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

VII may have less laughs, but it has a more solid foundation than VIII does and, I think, contributes more to Dwarf lore as well.

Dave
    Participant

>Also, II, IV, V, VI – the great Red Dwarf series

I thought that was the rule for Star Trek movies?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

V > III > II > IV > VI > I > Herpes > VII > A Terminal Disease > Death > Reincarnation as a pigeon > VIII

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not so sure about VI as a great series. It has some great episodes. III most certainly is a great series.

JamesTC
    Participant

They are all great series if you ask me.

peas_and_corn
    Participant

>I agree. And I wanted to even the numbers since it was 2-1 in 8?s favour.

we need a poll.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> V > III > II > IV > VI > I > Herpes > VII > A Terminal Disease > Death > Reincarnation as a pigeon > VIII

I like this game.

V > II > I > VI > III > IV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> VII >> VIII.

peas_and_corn
    Participant

A single or two ‘greater than’ symbols > a long line of ‘greater than’ symbols

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Neither makes any sense. It’s for EFFECT, man. EFFECT.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Sod your numerals

5 > 2 > 6 > 1 > 4 > 3.

Sod the others.

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 302 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.