Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Worst lines ever

Viewing 100 posts - 101 through 200 (of 302 total)
  • Author
    si
    Participant

I’d put VIII over VII, myself, but I don’t want to get into a big argument.

Even though that’s clearly exactly what I’m doing.

Andrew
    Participant

III>VIII>II>IV>VI>V>VII>I

Yes, it’s what I think. Fucking live with it.

si
    Participant

IV>II>V>III>VI>VIII>I>VII

I think…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Poor series 1 :(

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

> III>VIII>II>IV>VI>V>VII>I

> Yes, it?s what I think. Fucking live with it.

8 second best and 7 better than one?

Crikey!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Fuck.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Yes, it?s what I think. Fucking live with it.

YOU ARE DEAD TO ME.

II>VI>V>IV>I>III>VII>VIII

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Would it be hideously inappropriate for you to insert the specials’ scripts in your list?

JamesTC
    Participant

VI>III>V>IV>II>VIII>I>VII
    Though I love them all, all are far better than any other TV Show.

Phil
    Participant

V > getting a blowjob from your ex-girlfriend’s little sister > II > III > IV > VI > VIII > I > Zelda II: The Adventure of Link > having your tongue replaced with a long string of testicles the night before a spelling bee > Phil’s Condensed Films > Mr. Carruthers Presents > VII

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

> Would it be hideously inappropriate for you to insert the specials? scripts in your list?

You still trust his opinion?!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I did a lol.

Andrew
    Participant

> Would it be hideously inappropriate for you to insert the specials? scripts in your list?

Hideously!

Not actually because of the confidentiality, though. I’d just hate to compare a finished production to the version of the script that exists in my head. Just saw a cut of what we’ve shot so far and there are performance elements that enhance things far beyond what I had in my head.

So much of what makes a thing work are in the areas of design, direction, performance, effects, music…to go only by the script would feel wrong. As would comparing a six or eight part series to what’s being done in a shorter single story.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

You are, of course, absolutely correct.

> Just saw a cut of what we?ve shot so far and there are performance elements that enhance things far beyond what I had in my head.

This is really exciting!

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Just saw a cut of what we?ve shot so far and there are performance elements that enhance things far beyond what I had in my head.

Juat what the hell are we going to be getting?!? April really can’t come quick enough for me!

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Juat what the hell are we going to be getting?!?

Hard.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Good. Just checking.

pfm
    Participant

Anyone else and this would be fairly shocking (at least III and II are up there), but nothing surprises me with this guy.

It’s true that it would be unfair to rate Back To Earth against the full series’ that have come before it. Though I have a sneaking suspicion these two 24 minute episodes are gonna me more entertaining to me than the entireity of VII.

locusceruleus
    Participant

So now if you say the new script’s great, we can all wonder if it’s ‘great like series 8’ or actually worth watching.

On a related note, I saw Pete (1 and 2) the other night for the first time since they first aired. I didn’t even watch them when I bought the DVDs. To my surprise, it was even worse than I remembered.

Dave
    Participant

> Phil?s Condensed Films > Mr. Carruthers Presents > VII

You are too kind.

hummingbird
    Participant

Brimming over with wrongability.

The order is
    III>V>IV>II>VI>I>VIII>VII

JamesTC
    Participant

No, no, no! The correct order is VIII>VII>VI>V>IV>III>II>I

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Yeah, None of you are grasping this number system at all.

Ridley
    Participant

[Walter Raleigh] LOLz, just kidding [/Walter Raleigh]

Oh Walter, really.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

[Melchett] Lol [/Melchett]

Andrew
    Participant

[Melchett] Meeeeh [/Melchett]

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

This ‘impression in HTML code’ thing is catching on. This pleases me.

Phil
    Participant

[Danny]This ?impression in HTML code? thing is catching on. This pleases me.[/Danny]

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

[Phil][Danny]This ?impression in HTML code? thing is catching on. This pleases me.[/Danny][/Phil]

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

What Have I DONE?!?!?

Jo
    Participant

VI!

si
    Participant

[Ian]CUNT[/Ian]

pfm
    Participant

There really needs to be a once-and-for-all, definitive poll about the order, one that no-one can EVER argue against because they only have to look at it and be pwned in the face, forcing them to have their opinion swayed by the fucking bourgeoisie.

Anyway…(no, I don’t know what I’m banging on about either) as broadcast, I’m gonna put my hand on the table and say that VIII IS the worst, with VII scraping past it (leaving a trail of slime in it’s wake) due to stuff like the Rimmer song, the Ace sequence, much of Tikka, the model shots (as sparse as they are), Goodall’s music in the first two eps, Craig’s acting (that’s right, ACTING) particularly in Duct Soup and the Kennedy van scene in Tikka, the impressive single camera work, etc.. The only thing missing is the laughs. And the story. And some decent sci-fi… OK OK that’s harsh, especially considering what we went on to get in VIII in that regard…

My order would be II > V > III > IV > I > VI> VII > VIII

I prefer series 1 above VI because VI contains four episodes I don’t like, whereas series 1 has only two. Actually make that just one, Waiting For God. I can watch them time and time again, unlike VI episodes like Psirens and Rimmerworld that just pain me. I’ll stress again that I fucking hate Legion, aside from Rimmer getting the hardlight upgrade and ALSO the part where Legion becomes weak because the others are going to sleep, which I find rather good. The light switch gag is crap (I know you all wank over it on a daily basis, well I’m very happy for you), and the light BULB line was funny in 1993 but now I just want to mute the sound.

locusceruleus
    Participant

My order would be

V > III > VI > II > I > IV > VII > VIII

I actually liked seven, especially the Xtended episodes – though whether they should be counted, I don’t know. Tikka makes up in a lot of ways for the shortcomings of that series. I liked Ouroborous, despite the lack of woofers. Epideme and Nanarchy I quite liked…to be honest the only thing that really pissed me off was Mr Wacky Robot/Menopausal Kryten. Not funny, grating, seemed to go on forever.

So the only series I didn’t like was Eight, which I should shut up about I guess. But I just fucking hated it, and still do. I sat there, open mouthed and wide eyed, like someone catching their grandparents doing BDSM. Strangely unable to turn away, stomach churning wondering what the next travesty would be. And then a dinosaur stomps in.

Five is definitely the one where everything gelled perfectly. Great stories, great jokes, good setups…just amazing.

Phil
    Participant

I’d just like to throw my support behind the idea of an ULTIMATE POLL

pfm
    Participant

> stomach churning wondering what the next travesty would be.

The anal rape of Mr Blobby.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> I?d just like to throw my support behind the idea of an ULTIMATE POLL

Well, we can fashion one from our episodes poll. Working on the same scoring basis (1 point for 52nd place, 2 points for 51st and so on) but applying them to their respective series, we get this:

V – 233
    VI – 212
    II – 210
    III – 209
    IV – 205
    I – 175
    VIII – 81
    VII – 56

pfm
    Participant

Well crow the stones, look how high VI is. Only a few points in it though, like a motherfucker. 1 is way too low, such fucking great episodes The End, Future Echoes, Me2 can’t be fucked to do the squared character lazy shite, 150,000% better than VI. V is way well deserved though and it strikes me as a bully that some people don’t rate it as highly as say VI VIII and all that piece of plastic bollocks, chuck it right in the fucking bin.

IF only had a choice of ONE Dwarf series to keep with you forever and ever amen without leaving behind any others which would it be? I love II so much so I would say that, but then there would be no Bobby in the show ever so that’s unfair, I’d say III instead but V is better and though III is the most consistent out of all, not a bad one in it (I only dislike the scene with Rimmer’s mum), IV has the shite of DNA and Camille so no way that. It’s GOT to be series 2, without any shadow of doubt or remorse and then I would say V or III.

Somebody
    Participant

How do we know that Kryten’s interpretation of the “knight escaped from AR” line wasn’t “it infected his light bee and destroyed his core programming through a Gunman of the Apocalypse-styled series of events”?

Dave
    Participant

I don’t particularly agree or care but I find this quite endearing:

II – 210
    III – 209

Tanya Jones
    Participant

III>VIII>II>IV>VI>V>VII>I

Yes, it?s what I think. Fucking live with it.

But I can’t, especially when there’s the beautiful piece of work that is Me2 in series I…

Mr Flibble
    Participant

But fashioning it from your episodes poll isn’t going to give a view of us as a whole – for example you lot all love Series VI, when plenty of people don’t.

It would be really cool if you could do a proper poll…

pfm
    Participant

After some of the flaky responses here do you seriously think a ‘proper’ poll could ever happen? It’s yet again a case of people lying to themselves about what their favourite episodes are just to stick with the popular vote.

Tyrell Corporation
    Participant

My favourite episode is still ‘Out of Time’ after all these years.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> It would be really cool if you could do a proper poll?

Well, I wouldn’t argue with that but I still thought it’d be interesting to adapt our episodes poll.

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

worst line ever … any line in friends

Mr Flibble
    Participant

After some of the flaky responses here do you seriously think a ?proper? poll could ever happen? It?s yet again a case of people lying to themselves about what their favourite episodes are just to stick with the popular vote.

Hmm. Surely if it’s anonymous and secret, who would know if you put VIII first and III last.

Carlito
    Participant

For me, it’s:

V > II > VI > III > VIII = IV > VII > I

Tyrell Corporation
    Participant

What’s with all the Series 1 hate?

Andrew
    Participant

> worst line ever ? any line in friends

Quoted For Wrongness.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> I dearly hope ?The Big Bang Theory? sticks to its guns and gets rid of Jenny.

Eh?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>It would be really cool if you could do a proper poll?

A full-on poll would definitely be a good idea at some point – it’s just that logistically it would be a quite big thing to organise. I’m sure we’d like to get round to it some time, though.

The thing with our episodes thing was that it was less of a “here’s a definitive poll of fan opinion” and more an excuse and framework with which to, on the occasion of the 20th anniversary, sit down and give an opinionated overview of the entirety of the show. We wanted to devote more space and time to the episodes that we’d voted higher up – if we were doing that for general fan opinion, though, we might have found the balance skewed towards stuff we didn’t want to cover as much.

Anyway, basically – the Top 51 Episodes article is excellent and I won’t hear a bad word said against it, but there’s definitely room for polling the diverse readership of the site as well at some point.

Tyrell Corporation
    Participant

Friends is pretty good up to Series 2, then it immediately fell apart.

I dearly hope ‘The Big Bang Theory’ sticks to its guns and gets rid of Penny.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> I dearly hope ?The Big Bang Theory? sticks to its guns and gets rid of Penny.

Ah.

Well, in what way would that be “sticking to their guns”? They’ve not even hinted at getting rid of her yet, have they?

Also, she’s fucking hilarious and I don’t want her to go ANYWHERE.

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

when frends was big everyone was going on and on and on about it so i sat and watched a few episodes .someone would walk in and say ” hey everyone iv just been to the shops ” and then there would be 5 minuits of laughing

but to be honest most amercan shows that have 3 thousand episodes a series are going to run dry sooner rather than later

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> when frends was big everyone was going on and on and on about it so i sat and watched a few episodes .someoen would walk in and say ? hey everyone iv just been to the shops ? and then there would be 5 minuits of laughing

Now, this just isn’t true, is it?

Tyrell Corporation
    Participant

Six friends with such neurotic and utterly disposable mindsets would instantly crumble under the weight of their wankery.

Friends is shit, people are shit for liking it.

pfm
    Participant

> VIII = IV

Get out.

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

>Friends is shit, people are shit for liking it

bravo

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Tyrell, if you’ve quite finished kicking Friends in the genitals I’d be interested for you to expand on your Penny comment.

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

>if you?ve quite finished kicking Friends in the genitals

they had genitles ?

Tyrell Corporation
    Participant

Well she’s there to provide a contrast to the four geeks. She’s expendable and I’d much rather see Sara Gilbert’s character become a regular.

A sassy young blond, the series key demographics doth not make.

Tyrell Corporation
    Participant

It’s sad to see that Friends made it past three episodes. It became almost incestual when they all started fucking and having babies together.

Carlito
    Participant

I nearly put VIII > IV.

Then reconsidered.

That’s the best you’re getting out of me.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Well she?s there to provide a contrast to the four geeks. She?s expendable and I?d much rather see Sara Gilbert?s character become a regular.

Don’t you think a bit of contrast is essential? Especially when she is a genuinely funny person. And, once again, how would getting rid of Penny be “sticking to their guns”?

I know she’s obviously there in part because she’s ridiculously nice to look at, but her character’s interactions with the other cast is one of the main sources of humour in the show.

> A sassy young blond, the series key demographics doth not make.

Utter bollocks.

Tyrell Corporation
    Participant

VI – IV – Godfather II – III – V – Empire Strikes Back – I – II – The Wall – VIII – Back To Earth – Shoe Polish – VII

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Friends is shit, people are shit for liking it.

You are a wanker. And I don’t even like Friends.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>It?s sad to see that Friends made it past three episodes. It became almost incestual when they all started fucking and having babies together.

Friends is the worst comedy series ever.

Or it’s just the most successful and so it’s an easy target.

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

i tried watching friends on quite a few occasions and have never ever seen or heard anything slightly funny. the only american comedy shows i like are the animated ones .family guy simpsons ect ect because they dont look as fake as the people in friends

pfm
    Participant

It’s because you can only watch kiddies cartoons.

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

>It?s because you can only watch kiddies cartoons

hell yes id rather watch the rugrats than friends

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

was big fan of lost untill about halfway through series 3 where we had had 6 thousand episodes and no answers to anything so gave up there . and 24 is an awesome idea fo 1 series .not 7 or however many there on now

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

So basically, you have an incredibly short attention span?

Mr Flibble
    Participant

A full-on poll would definitely be a good idea at some point – it?s just that logistically it would be a quite big thing to organise.

It’s not a big thing to organise at all. It would take – what? an hour to write a quick bit of PHP which let you choose from 1 to 8 which was your favourite series (or 1 to 52 episodes), dump that into a database and then you can present the results with a little blurb later and let us all moan for weeks about the order. Link it into Drupal so people can only vote once, easy.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Thank God you’re here, Kirk.

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

no i just think most american shows have way to many episodes per series and are dragged out for way to long. which is why i think most british comedy series make very few episodes (compared to american) then stop leaving you wanting more, which you get with christmas specials ect ect.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Now let’s not start having a go at Family Guy, too, otherwise I’ll be forced to nuke the thread and kill everyone inside.

locusceruleus
    Participant

>when frends was big everyone was going on and on and on about it so i sat and watched a few episodes .someone would walk in and say ? hey everyone iv just been to the shops ? and then there would be 5 minuits of laughing

That one somehow passed me by.

I did however once watch an episode of this show called Red Dwarf where a guy danced with an unrealistic CGI spaceship and everyone whooped, hollered and applauded for what seemed like minutes.

>family guy simpsons ect ect because they dont look as fake as the people in friends

Hmmm. Yes, hanging out with your friends and talking seems fake. Vomiting for 5 minutes, singing ‘surfing bird’ 20 times in a half hour, beating up a chicken and remembering the time you took a shit on Michael Moore’s baseball cap is the real deal. If you associate being good looking with being fake, that says a lot more about you than it does about a TV show.

> A sassy young blond, the series key demographics doth not make.

Oh, I whole heartedly agree. 18-40 year old males hate sassy young blonds. *eye roll*

Phil
    Participant

I think kakchriskak is trying to say that outlandish shows like Family Guy and lots of Simpsons episodes KNOW they’re being outlandish, and they use that as their jumping off point, creating their own realities rather than trying to make us believe they exist in ours.

Whereas Friends and similar sitcoms make an attempt to fit into a more “normal” state of being, and, according to him, fail at it.

That’s my translation skill spent for the month, folks.

locusceruleus
    Participant

That’s probably what he means, but it’s not what he said and the examples he used were in a reality all of their own.

Phil
    Participant

>the examples he used were in a reality all of their own

When we start a Ganymede & Titan wiki, I nominate you to write the entry on kakchriskak.

Dave
    Participant

>they had genitles ?

Yes, and Jews too.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

Thank God you?re here, Kirk.

It really *isn’t* that big a thing to organise. If I remotely thought you’d accept, I’d offer to do it.

Tyrell Corporation
    Participant

What happened to just typing in your top five episodes?

Out Of Time
    Backwards
    Kryten
    The End
    Legion

Everybody does that, mark totals for each episode, publish, then complain.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

no i just think most american shows have way to many episodes per series and are dragged out for way to long. which is why i think most british comedy series make very few episodes (compared to american) then stop leaving you wanting more, which you get with christmas specials ect ect.

Arrested Development had 53 episodes and it was NOWHERE NEAR ENOUGH.

Meanwhile, people, stop talking bollocks about Friends. It was brilliant for three series, patchily brilliant for a further couple, disappeared up its own arse for the next few, and then pulled back to being quite good for the last series. SO THERE.

Attacking Friends is honestly one of the laziest things it’s possible to say about comedy. Is it the best sitcom ever? Of course not. Is it edgy or challenging? Not in the slightest. Is it very, very funny at times? Yes. Are the cast all better than people give them credit for? Yes.

I can honestly name you about fifty sitcoms that are worse than Friends.

Tyrell Corporation
    Participant

As we call can, but Friends somehow captured the imaginations of an increasingly jaded population in the 90’s. A hip young group of people who imbued all the sheer nonsense and hipster New York living we all apparantly aspired to.

I may be talking bollocks, my heart isn’t in it, I just ate a Valentine’s takeaway and it has gave me near-terminal stomach pains.

John Hoare
    Participant

Attacking Friends is honestly one of the laziest things it?s possible to say about comedy. Is it the best sitcom ever? Of course not. Is it edgy or challenging? Not in the slightest. Is it very, very funny at times? Yes. Are the cast all better than people give them credit for? Yes.

This.

Carlito
    Participant

Friends was an enjoyable show during its first series, a VERY enjoyable show during its second series… and wildly inconsistent beyond that (although series 5 was pretty good too). I gave up on it before the last series… to my recollection, the only show I have ever loved early on and given up on before the end (although I have kinda been slack on Scrubs during the last year or so).

JamesTC
    Participant

I guess I should be quiet since I have Freinds Season 1-10 right infront of me. It was a good show up till season 6, after that it was hit and miss with episodeswith a few too many misses but still over all a watchable show and now and again very enjoyable, the last episode was not that good but it was never going to be as good as you would have hoped, same for Seinfeld (though I think Seinfeld’s last episode was better than people say).
    Anybody who watches ‘The One Where No One’s Ready’ and still says it is not funny is just stuck up.

Tyrell Corporation
    Participant

The last Seinfeld was a fucking disaster, regardless of how ironic it was meant to be.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Anybody who watches ?The One Where No One?s Ready? and still says it is not funny is just stuck up.

Actually, this.

pfm
    Participant

Friends was definitely funny at one stage, but IMO the humour only accounted for around 5% of the reason why most people watched it, whereas with Dwarf I would say it’s more like 50% comedy 50% everything else.

Seinfeld was far far better because it was so bold and the COMEDY was the focus, and yet it DID start to go wayward by season 6 (not that it was BAD. Only the odd few in 8 and 9 were really terrible). Seasons 3, 4 and 5 are pure brilliance though, along with a handful of earlier episodes like ‘The Pony Remark’ and ‘The Chinese Restaurant’. I love episodes like ‘The Parking Garage’ where they built a whole floor of a multi-storey car park (parking garage…) on the soundstage! Also the one where they’re on the trains and a lot of the episode is you just hearing their thoughts (can’t remember the name of it, it might be ‘The Subway’ though, that’d make sense).

hummingbird
    Participant

> What happened to just typing in your top five episodes?
    > Everybody does that, mark totals for each episode, publish, then complain.

Great idea, but I don’t know if I could narrow it down to five.
    How about we rate every ep from, say, one to ten, and then score the eps that way?
    Or something like that.

Either way, we do need a fan poll.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I think Total Red Dwarf should run one.

Andrew
    Participant

> Friends was definitely funny at one stage, but IMO the humour only accounted for around 5% of the reason why most people watched it

IMO this is utter drivel.

pfm
    Participant

I think there should be a ‘Not at all’ ‘To some extent’ ‘Very much so’ ‘Don’t know’ questionnaire.

JamesTC
    Participant

>Friends was definitely funny at one stage, but IMO the humour only accounted for around 5% of the reason why most people watched it
    What was the 95% reason for people watching it, all the people who watch it who I know watch it because it is funny, funnily enough they are all big Dwarf fans (though not as big as me)

locusceruleus
    Participant

I’ve noticed a lot of snobbery from some UK sitcom fans where Friends is concerned. No big deal.

I thought seasons 1-3 were great, then after that, 5 and 7 (‘The One Where They’re Up All Night’, or something like that, was a great bottle show – in fact, these episodes were usually the best imo). The other seasons had their moments.

>Friends was definitely funny at one stage, but IMO the humour only accounted for around 5% of the reason why most people watched it.

You must have surveyed some pretty bizarre people to come to that conclusion.

pfm
    Participant

OK 5% is an exaggeration, but take away Jennifer Aniston and the will-they-won’t-they-well-they-did-but-then-they-were-on-a-break-and-that-bint-from-Cold-Feet etc etc Ross/Rachel fiasco and that’s the end of MOST of the interest in the show.

Friends was always sold with the good-looking cast angle, then the whole Rachel hairstyle thing, coupled with the fact that she was fucking Brad Pitt, helped propel that into the stratosphere. Obviously that’s not why EVERYONE who watched it watched it, but it’s what made it such a massive show. There’s no dispute whether it was funny or not because it blatantly WAS.

Carlito
    Participant

It was huge before Aniston was fucking Pitt.

It was pretty big even before Aniston got the famous haircut.

It was big because it was really funny… for the first couple of years, anyway.

Viewing 100 posts - 101 through 200 (of 302 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.