Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Your Unpopular Red Dwarf Opinions

Viewing 100 posts - 101 through 200 (of 518 total)
  • Author
    Dax101
    Participant

>I feel like Doug doesn’t want to write a sci-fi show, he wants to write jokes and satire and more traditional sitcom setups and I’m not so keen on that, and his satire is a bit World According to Clarkson occasionally unfortunately.

Doug likes to do doing more Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy style sci-fi these days.

The Dwarfers meeting the Universe for example feels wrong in my opinion. it abit too close to being God.

Storylines wise Doug does come up with interesting ideas but they come out as abit messy for some reason.

The best that particular interior has looked or the best interior they series has ever had?

I’ve said this before, but I’m not a fan of the updated techy feel to the RD interior. It’s a big bulky mining ship, it should feel more like an industrial submarine or a oil rig, not a fancy futuristic space ship. Starbug suffers from this more then the Dwarf does too (well the cockpit anyway). The medical/science bay in the last series is just far too Star Trek for my liking for example.

However, I think the sets for the last 3 series look best in series X, though that is mostly down to the lighting and the lack of ruddy great big bunk numbers painted on the walls … out of no-where. WHY?

Dax101
    Participant

The Driveroom in Series X was shit. it looks like a Cockpit that they didn’t do a good enough job hiding.

Krytens Costume in X and XII is also Shit. not very flattering on Robert and looks cheap

GlenTokyo
    Participant

I thought the boilersuit and chestplate mechs of Siliconia looked better than Kryten did to be honest. Robert needs less costume because the costume makes him look like like he’s a XXXL and he’s probably an L. The cyberman legs have got to go. I think a series V esque redesign could be more flattering.

Flap Jack
    Participant

The best that particular interior has looked or the best interior they series has ever had?

The best the collection of Interior sets for Red Dwarf has looked overall.

I don’t mind the more Star Trek-esque aesthetics of certain sets or series – mining or no, it IS a giant, high-tech, futuristic spaceship with a lot of varied facilities – but I just really like the red/orange colour scheme of X in particular.

bloodteller
    Participant

>The Driveroom in Series X was shit. it looks like a Cockpit that they didn’t do a good enough job hiding.

i didn’t mind it- technology is advanced enough now that you have these tiny portable phones that you can do all kinds of assorted stuff with. it seems reasonable enough that you could control a big mining ship with a very small room.

Hard light made Rimmer less interesting.

I’d agree if they’d done anything interesting with him as a hologram since Bodyswap, but other than a couple of light bee jokes his character might as well be human by the time Legion comes along.

Series VII isn’t comedy drama. The gag quotient is just as regular as most of the earlier series, they just don’t land as often and there’s no studio audience to bounce off.

Agreed. I think at some point somebody must have mentioned it moved in a ‘slightly more dramatic direction’ – which I’d say is true, overall it feels less overtly sitcommy and it does have a few scenes that are played completely straight – and then that got turned into ‘it’s a comedy drama’ through Chinese Whiskers. It’s still very much a comedy throughout, just with different production values.

I enjoyed the running gags when I was a kid, but these days they feel really cheap. I can almost forgive the Space Corps Directives though, because I absolutely love the Timewave line.

Ok, here’s an unpopular one for sure: Timewave is a funny episode. The plot is shit, there are several problematic elements, some of the performances are terrible, but there are a lot of very funny jokes. It makes me laugh loads more than Cured and Twentica for a start.

flanl3
    Participant

…there were funny jokes in Timewave?

bloodteller
    Participant

…there were jokes in Timewave?

Dave
    Participant

…there was Timewave?

Dax101
    Participant

…Timewave?

> I enjoyed the running gags when I was a kid, but these days they feel really cheap. I can almost forgive the Space Corps Directives though

I see the Space Corps running gags as a character development of Rimmer’s. He gets the Space Corp Directive book in Quarantine, he studies it, becomes obsessed with it and tries to fold it into his “acting captain head of the crew” position he have sort of made for himself. Problem with Rimmer though is that he is crap, and as much as he may study them, and sort of remember what some of them are, he has no fucking clue really and so he tries to use this new found knowledge and just fucks it up time and time again.

It is one of the running gags that actually makes in universe character sense.

The others are literally just repeating the same old joke for no real reason other than the laugh.

Even Cat’s disdain for Rimmer to the point he’d like to ditch him leave him behind, which is a character trait, would be funnier if it was done once. The more it happens the less affect it has because its just the same joke.

At least the space corps directive jokes allow for some funny and utterly ridiculous directives.

What DOES bother me however, why are things like parking spaces right next to POW rules?

Ben Saunders
    Participant

One of the things I noticed about VII when I re-watched it is the apparent sudden re-emphasis on character after the action-heavy VI. Kennedy dying, Rimmer leaving, Kryten thinking he’s being replaced etc are all touching, character-heavy moments. Coupled with the lack of laughter and the film effect, and the fact that literally nothing at all happens in Blue, it does feel more like comedy drama and/or mindless action than what immediately preceded it.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Oops, that should read “less like mindless action”, obviously. Not that VI is mindless.

Dax101
    Participant

Jokes about the cats distain for Rimmer are something that’s been happening since series 1. But I agree that they shouldn’t become a regular habit in 1 series alone.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

“Timewave… [has some] very funny jokes… I laugh(ed) loads more than Cured and Twentica….”
    Absolutely. Cat being hostile to Johnny Vegas and completely oblivious to why he shouldn’t be was very funny. Captain Asshole made me snigger, and I have to say I find the droopy titties line a real rib ticker. Sorry, everyone.

Dax101
    Participant

or *disdain even.

His disdain for him I’ll allow, that is part of his character. It’s the jokes about leaving him behind, letting him die etc are over done and lose something each time a new one is rolled out

bloodteller
    Participant

“Quick, let’s get outta here before they bring him back!” was funny because it’s a subversion of the typical reaction you’d have to someone being kidnapped, it’s a good character joke as it fits into the crew’s dislike for Rimmer, and generally the structure and delivery of the gag is excellent.

after that, they haven’t been funny. and when Cat rolls out 4 of them in one episode in Timewave, you’re just internally thinking “shut the fuck up already!”

I like those jokes, but I agree they should be few and far between. I wouldn’t mind any of the running jokes if they turned up once or twice a series and were instead spread out over a longer period of time. Timewave is a particularly bad one for Cat wanting to leave Rimmer to die.

Next time I watch it, I’ll make a list.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

“We’re all deeply sorry, bud. Apart from me and him and him” is classic too, if overplayed in the trailers

Flap Jack
    Participant

I suppose it’s inevitable that an ‘Unpopular Opinion’ thread would ultimately lead to “Timewave is good, actually.” but… sorry, I… seriously though?

Really we could close the thread at this point, but I would like to at least see if anyone’s going to come out as a fan of Pete Part 2.

Piplup2003

I honestly didn’t realise how much hate the fandom has for Timewave.

bloodteller
    Participant

> I would like to at least see if anyone’s going to come out as a fan of Pete Part 2.

i don’t think it’s a great episode, but i don’t really think it’s bad either- it’s rather funny; the delayed fight sequence, “we’re not going in ’til we know what we’re doing.” “…that could take years…”, “dinosaur bowel movement frequency tables” and “you’re finished/bye” were particular highlights of it. i definitely wouldn’t call it an amazing episode, but i think it’s at least good. i couldn’t really hate a Red Dwarf episode that makes me laugh so much. the “see you in 10 minutes” bit is shit though, i can’t defend that. why does that scene exist?

imo, Back In The Red Part 3 is the only VIII episode i’d consider to be bad. 8 minutes of bloody recap, dennis the donut boy, irrelevant claymation sequence, conehead Holly were particular disappointments.

I still don’t think Timewave is good – the bad elements outweigh the good – but there are plenty of jokes that make me laugh in there, which is why I rate it above, say, all of VIII.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Timewave made me actually angry and should be deleted from history, though for my relationship with Red Dwarf it wasn’t as bad generally as the double whammy of Krysis and Can of Worms which made me not touch anything Red Dwarf related for months and had me questioning whether Red Dwarf was ever going to be worth watching again.

bloodteller
    Participant

Timewave made me feel sad :(

Dax101
    Participant

I have only watched Timewave once and sadly I still remember parts of it.

Once the pink policeman started rubbing his nipples I felt a little part of me die.

flanl3
    Participant

Next time I watch it, I’ll make a list.

Don’t bother, I’ll do it for you right here in this very post.

flanl3
    Participant

I honestly didn’t realise how much hate the fandom has for Timewave.

Oh, don’t worry, there are all sorts of pro-Timewave groups on Facebook and Reddit. Although even they were at least mildly disappointed.

flanl3
    Participant

I honestly think most of the people saying “Red Dwarf ought to be done soon” are just tired of XII being, like, 60% recycled material. If it had been more original, even if less good, I doubt as many of you would be on about “don’t give it more than a couple new series”.

Hamish
    Participant

> Krytens Costume in X and XII is also Shit. not very flattering on Robert and looks cheap

The one in XI however must be excellent.

tbh, I re-watched Timewave since my first viewing and I quite enjoyed it really.

Sure, some of the jokes don’t land like the spit of the wrist or the save planet Rimmer ones, but others I found to be pretty humorous.

The lieutenant asshole, the kryten shut up, Chris Barrie’s performance as Rimmer’s Inner Critic, I think Ziggy and the Crit Cop are well-acted with the material they have and they put good effort in.

The sets might look ridiculous but they are supposed to, the lighting is the best for the two series in my honest opinion. Watching too many XI and XII episodes hurts my eyes after a while due to the blue lighting they have; but the lighting they have on the criticism ship is a nice breather. When the crew are walking through Red Dwarf’s corridors there are always the fans that give off these green reflections; none on other ship. I like the set design, nice costumes all around, none of the characters make me really cringe. The scene on Planet Rimmer looked really good too, the flag and the spacesuits, nice touch.

If I voted on the Pearl Poll I’d have ranked Timewave a good mid-40s spot. I disliked Cured more; but really I don’t hate any Red Dwarf episode minus maybe Duct Soup which bores me to death.

Series XIII I hope they do more drama, yeah, but XI and XII had good moments of comedy in-between what I feel are BTE which was drama-centric and X which had an undercurrent of melancholy I can’t describe well. So XIII being similar to that would make XI and XII good for me watching the whole series again just to lift the weight off me.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Chris Barrie’s performance as Rimmer’s Inner Critic

This is just a rehash, both in voice and character. The only new thing is the make-up.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

>This is just a rehash, both in voice and character. The only new thing is the make-up.

And a Psi-moon is so much more interesting than a sci-fi contraption that pulls a little version of you dressed as Blofeld out and puts it in a bell jar.

Yes, the ‘science’ behind the critic remover thing is really fucking bollocks. “We’ll make criticism illegal, and also invent a machine that turns an abstract concept in people’s minds into a small person”.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

You have to have the same issue with self-loathing, confidence and paranoia, surely

flanl3
    Participant

No, at least the explanations for those either make some sense or are interesting enough of concepts to forgive

bloodteller
    Participant

i think complaints about the “science” are a bit bollocks, really. red dwarf has had lots of concepts that don’t at all make sense-Backwards World, the Triplicator, the Matter Paddle, the Mirror Universe etc. are all basically magic explained with some brief technobabble, no? and even with the technobabble they sometimes still don’t make sense- the Matter Paddle transports you at the speed of light, they then instantly proceed to go to a planet 200,000 light years away and yet it doesn’t take them 200,000 years to get there.

that said, the Critiscism Extractor isn’t explored at all in any way and it’s a bit daft and nothing funny comes of it anyway, so it’s still worse. at least all the other stuff was used for good laughs or an interesting exploration of the idea. what’s done with the Critiscism Extractor? turns Rimmer into Bloefeld and they have a bit of a tiff which winds up having no real relevance to the plot.

Lily
    Participant

I liked Can of Worms and really don’t know why people hate it so much.

Can of Worms was a fine episode, nothing particularly wrong with it

Dax101
    Participant

Its an episode that reminds you why you shouldn’t make a cat episode. If degrading the cat to an insecure Duane Dibbley-esk dumbass is the only way to do it then it might be worth being left alone.

Although thats probably just my unpopular opinion.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I have a list as long as my arm with things that are wrong with it, but there are a couple of bits that I really like.

I tend to be fine with the nonsense science normally explored, but the criticism extractor is both a bit too nonsensical (why a person?) and also, my real issue, is why it exists at all. It must have come along after the ship decided to outlaw criticism, which means that it was made by people on that ship – difficult to accept without the fact that the ship was run incompetently. Plus, if you could extract people’s inner critic, why not just do that instead of making a law against it? It’s just really lazy plotting – taking a human social concept as the basis of 20 minutes of plot and then just going “oh yeah there’s a sci-fi machine that does that too”.

Dax101
    Participant

>i think complaints about the “science” are a bit bollocks, really. red dwarf has had lots of concepts that don’t at all make sense-Backwards World

Well there were articles going round back in 2016 that said “Scientists Propose a ‘Mirror Universe’ Where Time Moves Backwards”

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-propose-a-mirror-universe-where-time-moves-backwards

Now whether or not thats bollocks or not i’l be shocked if i ever hear scientists feel we can have our inner critic removed and shrunk down into a jar ;p

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Well if they just used the criticism extractor on everybody you’d end up with a load of little critics running around which you’d need to look after, imprison or kill, which has moral implications, on top of the moral implications of basically lobotomising people who call you names

Hamish
    Participant

The things is, despite all of the problems mentioned, there is actually a motive behind the creation of the criticism extractor. I am still more baffled with why anyone would ever go to the trouble of creating a psi moon to be honest. What purpose does it serve other than as an admittedly interesting way to explore Rimmer’s personality?

Warbodog

Instant psychic terraforming is incredibly labour-saving. If it’s set up to only mentally link with the first person who comes along (it only seemed to be using Rimmer’s mind), you could send down your expert who’s mentally prepared and create a paradise or whatever you need. Assuming you need ironic personifications of your personality traits.

There’s a precedent in sci-fi with the worldscapers in Roger Zelazny’s 1969 book Isle of the Dead, maybe others.

I am still more baffled with why anyone would ever go to the trouble of creating a psi moon to be honest.

Because rich people would pay for it. The ultimate leisure experience: going to live in your own personalised paradise. Bear in mind that Rimmer does not know what the moon is, and is therefore mentally unprepared and thus his subconscious takes over. I’m sure if you pay to go there, you’d have a lot more control over the sort of things you’d want to have there.

bloodteller
    Participant

plus presumably psi-moons save a lot of money. if you live on one you could construct houses, buildings, even entire cities just by thinking about them. you’d also be able to create living beings instantly too though, and maybe that raises all sorts of moral implications.

psi-moons are a bit overpowered then, surely? you’d basically be God on there, and constructing all those buildings free of charge probs wouldn’t be good for the economy either because you could rent them out to friends for a really cheap price

Toxteth O-Grady
    Participant

>i think complaints about the “science” are a bit bollocks, really. red dwarf has had lots of concepts that don’t at all make sense-Backwards World

At the time at least, there were genuine discussions by physicists about the effects of ‘The Big Crunch’ including time itself possibly running backwards as a result of the contraction of the universe. I think this is both what inspired the episode, and might even be the explanation given by Kryten within it? (haven’t seen it for while).
    There’s been subsequent arguments that the suggest this is impossible, but for an episode of Red Dwarf the “science” of it is perfectly acceptable.

It only become bollocks when they have stuff written backwards i.e. “Nodnol”. There’s no reason for that, given that it’s supposed to be our own universe with our own languages. Even if for some reason text WAS backwards, the letters should be mirrored, not just written in reverse order.
    And the whole newspaper story about a bank robbery that happens “tomorrow”, with guns sucking bullets – none of that makes any sense. The story would be normal, referring to a robbery yesterday, it’s just printed before it happens.

If time really were running backwards nobody would know, except the Dwarf crew (this is the case in the episode, but the newspaper kinda contradicts it).
    Heck, time could be running backwards for us right now and we’d be completely unaware of it. I think that’s the most interesting part of the concept, but they don’t really explore it in the episode.

Indeed. There’s no real way they could have done a ‘proper’ backwards episode, so instead they just used backwards ideas to make jokes and a generally coherent forwards plot, which is kind of forgivable. An idea of what should have happened in the backwards universe is explored brilliantly in Rob’s novel, too, for those wanting better science there. I love that section of the book, particularly Kryten trying to persuade Rimmer that because the engine parts were rusted, their being stranded there was inevitable.

I think Backwards as a concept is done well-enough in the episode, there’s not much to add upon in my opinion. If you’re looking for a more realistic approach I guess the backwards section in Rob Grant’s Backwards does it good, though I can’t remember if they read anything or not. I thought the bit where Rimmer spoke to the lady and the conversation started at the end and ended when the conversation started was pretty funny.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

The logic of backwards is basically totally fucked, but it is a classic, inspired, hilarious exploration of a concept. I got the Impression that the psi-moon was a natural phenomena when I was young, but I don’t know if there’s a line in the episode to contradict that.

Fucking hell I just realised why the episode is called Terrorform. Another one of those things you just sort of accept when you’re young and never really put any thought into it.

I don’t think the Mini Critic is a bad concept or worse than Confidence & Paranoia, it just all happens so fast. A speedier opening with less Planet Rimmer stuff and more time spent on the critic would not go amiss.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Also the backwards universe is *a* backwards universe, not *our* universe backwards, so some inconsistencies can easily be handwaved

They don’t go to another universe though, they specifically go through a timehole, meaning they end up at some point trillions of years in the universes future, which happens to be our 1993 with time running in reverse.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

But… that… if time… then…

I don’t want to think too hard about that one

(If time eventually goes backwards how can they travel to a time past when it all goes in reverse)

Ben Saunders
    Participant

I’ve heard a lot of people say “the backwards universe” so assumed it was another ‘verse. Is it a universe in the book?

Dave
    Participant

Don’t they access it the books by travelling to a sort of nexus of universes around the event horizon of a black hole (the same one that causes all the problems that the white hole does in the TV show)? It’s been a while since I read them.

Fuck me I can’t remember it and I only finished reading it a month ago, if I had to guess I think it involved something to do with Holly’s high IQ finding a way to get the crew there.

Dave
    Participant

Yeah, Holly pops out the computer disc that gives them the coordinates of Backwards world after Lister dies, doesn’t he?

Something like that I imagine, if I recall correctly I think we go from Lister dying to Lister immediately waking up on the Backwards Earth and then we get a flashback to the crew doing Holly’s tasks before Rimmer figures it out.

BTW, I always thought Better Than Life had the best ending of the four novels; I mean it ends with Lister setting his eyes on the love of his life for the first time in 3 million years thanks to the people he has thought he hated.

bloodteller
    Participant

>I’ve heard a lot of people say “the backwards universe” so assumed it was another ‘verse.

rimmer calls it “a backwards universe” in VIII as well, when he’s explaining his “theories” to the woman who wants to shag him

bloodteller
    Participant

>BTW, I always thought Better Than Life had the best ending of the four novels; I mean it ends with Lister setting his eyes on the love of his life for the first time in 3 million years thanks to the people he has thought he hated.

yes, the ending to Better Than Life is lovely.

Toxteth O-Grady
    Participant

In the TV episode, I always assumed they’d passed through a time-hole and reached a point in the (relative) far far future, after the universe had exhausted all energy and began to contract (big crunch). Everything that had happened prior to the end of the universe’s expansion was now happening again but in reverse.
    So 2018 went into 2017, which went into 2016 and so on.
    They arrived via the time-hole in (backwards) 1993.

Perhaps this mean the same time hole originally existed in the real (forwards) 1993 linking it to a backwards ‘year 3million+’, somewhere nearer the beginning of the of the Big Crunch?

In other words the time hole exists within our universe, and it links 1993 with a point in the year 3million+ but at the opposite side of Big Crunch. Traversing the time-hole takes you to a point in the life of the universe where time runs in the opposite direction from where you entered.

I’m pretty sure this is more thought than Rob and Doug ever put into, mind you.

clem
    Participant

They do the backwards writing thing in the novels, at least in BTL. The name on Lister’s driving licence is ‘Retsil Divad’. Kryten says the universe they take him to is “almost a mirror image of our own universe, except that time moves backwards there”.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Convenient that there is a time hole basically inside the atmosphere of Earth in that universe/the future/past. You’d think people would (have) know(n) about it (and then forgot) and there would be numerous backwards people coming out of the hole three million years in deep space. Would they even know time was running backwards if they were that far out? And if it’s a short-lived phenomena, how lucky that it lasted long enough for our crew to return to their universe/time.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Backward universes and talking to the universe sort of fucks the concept of free will, doesn’t it?

>Backward universes and talking to the universe sort of fucks the concept of free will, doesn’t it?

Eh, idk

The talking to the universe thing in Krysis tho, they did leave that kinda ambiguous if that was the actual universe or not since, as Rimmer points out, “says you”

Meaning there’s nothing proving it was actually the universe and not like an AI gone computer senile or something, least that’s my interpretation of it anyway

bloodteller
    Participant

>Backward universes and talking to the universe sort of fucks the concept of free will, doesn’t it?

so do future echoes. lister is inescapably fated to live to 171 and dress all in yellow, and there’s nothing he can do about it

GlenTokyo
    Participant

The thing I hate most about the universe is that they went with the shit Morgan Freeman impression.

It’s sort of ambiguous whether or not it is the universe, I think a past Red Dwarf would have made it U.N.I.V.E.R.S.E and thought of something those letters could stand for or a Space Corps research program called Universe and then have the crew fuck it up and then it tries to kill them before they blow it up but that’s not to say that’s better. It’s similar to the Futurama universe, but I didn’t mind that so much because of the more Star Trek feel of Futurama, with all the aliens and stuff. A sentient nebula isn’t unusual in those universes, stands out a bit more in Red Dwarf though.

bloodteller
    Participant

bit of an underreaction if it actually is the universe. you’d think he could just send them back to earth or tell them where kochanski is or do literally Anything.

instead they use the most powerful being in existence to get Kryten to stop being a bit sad

Toxteth O-Grady
    Participant

> You’d think people would (have) know(n) about it (and then forgot) and there would be numerous backwards people coming out of the hole three million years in deep space.

We don’t know how long the time-hole was open for, though. It may have just been a couple of weeks or months, rather than a permanent fixture.

It’s safe to say that nobody else was flying around the edge of Earth’s atmosphere in that particular region in 1993. And it’s even safer bet that nobody else was flying around that other point in deep space millions of years later.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Is the universe really all Powerful, though, in the way god is, or is it just all knowing? What can it do?

I wonder how they would have voiced the universe in a universe without Bruce almighty. I enjoyed the reference but it is a bit questionable

bloodteller
    Participant

>What can it do?

well it says in the episode it made the Earth

Side-note, you think the crew are using Hogey’s cloth map during Series XI and XII?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I hope Hogey used that to navigate his way to the fucking exit.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Unpopular opinion. I really like Hogey the Roguey. I liked the relationship.

well it says in the episode it made the Earth

It never states that it intentionally made it, though.

Hogey the Roguey was quite good. If they overused him than the joke would’ve gotten old pretty quick, but they keep him limited and the times he is on-screen he is pretty funny.

Yeah Hogey is fine. I love the idea of them having this relationship with a bored sim who just wants to play some games in the 9 year period we haven’t seen. If we were to actually see any more it’d be ruined, but it was a nice little “fill in the blank” bit of back story that was quite nice.

Not sure if this is controversial or not, but I struggle with liking Bodyswap as much as other episodes because of the dubbed voices. Its a bit of a naff effect and really, implanting a mind into someone elses shouldn’t change their voice.

Though I do love the frantic opening to that episode. How often are you thrown into the action like that with RD?

GlenTokyo
    Participant

I do really like Bodyswap but I bet they could improve it a lot with more time and modern audio engineering or whatever it’d be. Just make it sound more like it’s coming out of that mouth in that room with that stuff going on in the background.

Taiwan Tony
    Participant

Another arm raised for Hogey being dreadful.

The whole different voice coming out of the body thing is a pretty common trope with body swapping / possession / etc. stories, and I agree that it’s mostly nonsense (the individual sound of your voice being entirely down to the physical structure of your throat and the particular size and shape of your larynx), the realistic route would be if they each did an impression of each other, but I think that would only work well with Chris doing his Craig impersonation.
    That said, it’s something that’s done so often that it doesn’t actually bother me so much. Also I enjoy how well Craig’s voice coming out of Chris’s mouth works, and with the fact that Lister’s outfit actually really suits Chris, whenever I watch it I completely believe that he’s Lister in those scenes.

Here’s one of those tedious questions we’ve been revelling in lately: where does Rimmer-in-Lister’s physical Captain Emerald costume come from?

>Here’s one of those tedious questions we’ve been revelling in lately: where does Rimmer-in-Lister’s physical Captain Emerald costume come from?

I always assumed Rimmer wears a standard, high-ranking Space Corps uniform. That said, is the JMC a subsidiary of the Space Corps? Has the relationship ever been fully explained?

It’s been discussed several times in the past, and the answer has always been some variation on ‘we don’t really know’.

Hamish
    Participant

> I got the Impression that the psi-moon was a natural phenomena when I was young, but I don’t know if there’s a line in the episode to contradict that.

KRYTEN: My guess: this is a Psi-moon.
    CAT: Psi-moon?
    KRYTEN: An artificial planetoid. It tunes into an individual psyche and adapts its terrain to mimic his mental state

Which is about all the explanation for the Psi-moon’s existence that we get. While some of the theories for its existence in this thread are plausible, the episode itself clearly does not give two fucks about this, as all it wants is indeed an admittedly interesting way to explore Rimmer’s personality.

I still think it is a bit wank though. Just to put this thread back on topic.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

I always thought the JMC were the merchant navy of the Red Dwarf universe and the Space Corps were the actual Navy, but there’s not really a military in Red Dwarf, so in my head canon you apply to the Space Corps and if you’re officer class or really good you join the SC and work your way up in a field, and if you’re a bit shit, or need work or harbor no ambitions of joining the Space Corps Navy types or advancing a career then you can just work for the JMC on a contract, in the Red Dwarf Dollar Poundland or whatever.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

There’d probably be a cross over too. Like a navigation officer in the JMC could apply for a post in navigation with the Space Corps, but it’d be a bit like going to uni with a vocational qualification instead of A-levels, possible but not as straightforward.

I imagine there’s other trade and mining companies too, or was, Red Dwarf doesn’t have many brands and M Corp seems to imply its quite easy to own everything.

Dax101
    Participant

I think a sense of mystery can be a good thing, so not having to explain everything that exists in the Red Dwarf universe isn’t a bad thing.

Its just when you do explain it and it stupid explanation then that doesn’t help.

As for Hogey i remember after that episode was shown there were people saying how Hogey should be a show regular… yikes.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Just for the fact that they covered Richard O’Callaghan in what was I think wood filler and grey primer I’m glad he’s not a regular for his sake.

bloodteller
    Participant

>As for Hogey i remember after that episode was shown there were people saying how Hogey should be a show regular… yikes.

he only works in The Beginning really, because there’s the gag of what looks like a lethal simulant onboard and everyone having a severe underreaction to him until it eventually becomes apparent he’s just some mad old git who’s been pestering the posse for the last decade. also them suggesting a cooking contest a la Can’t Smeg Won’t Smeg really made me laugh.

aside from that, there’s nothing you can really do with the character. he only functions as a one-off joke

bloodteller
    Participant

hoguey always wins the cooking contests with the help of an angry rice stealing droid called AI-nsley Harriot

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Ainsley Harribot surely.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Hoguey the Roguey was a brilliant idea undermined by a daffy accent and less-than-ideal costume design.

bloodteller
    Participant

opinion- that “tales of the riverbank: the next generation” bit in Camille is a lot funnier than the much more oft-quoted Wilma Flinstone conversation from Backwards.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I like it just for Danny’s fluffed delivery.

Whatever happened
    Whatever happened to old Hammy?

Dax101
    Participant

Doug likes his funny accents.

Viewing 100 posts - 101 through 200 (of 518 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.