Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Doctor Whoooooooooooo, hey! Doctor Who!

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 170 total)
  • Author
    Ian Symes
    Keymaster

New discussion thread for Who – the old one was getting too massive.

My opinion: meh.

hummingbird
    Participant

Watching it now. They’re just digging the bus out of the sand.
    It’s obviously holding my attention so much that I’m posting at the same time.

Richey
    Participant

I enjoyed tonight’s episode. Much much better than the Christmas Special. A lot more fun for a start. I’ll be looking forward to things getting darker nearer the end of Tennant’s time as The Doctor, but tonight I just wanted a fun adventure story and that’s what we got. Lee Evans was a hoot, also :D

si
    Participant

I enjoyed that. Nice to see Harry Potter’s Night Bus make an appearance.

I’d give that a cheery 8/10, maybe 8.5.

The four ‘knocks’ are either a reference to the four specials, or the beat of The Master, should he return.

“He will knock four times” – twice on the pipes if the answer is no.

Nick R
    Participant

Was it just me who, every time the bus took off, half-expected the wheels to fold over horizontally like Back to the Future’s DeLorean, and found it slightly jarring when they didn’t?

JamesTC
    Participant

Only seen the last 15 minutes so in no place to decide.
    The four knocks seem pretty obvious as the Master, I mean start doing that weird drumming thing, “duh duh duh dum, duh duh duh dum, duh duh duh dum”.

RedDwarfFan2982
    Participant

I too suspected the four knocks to be the master

I thought Lee Evans was great in the episode.

Andrew
    Participant

Found it very ‘meh’, to be honest. Oddly lacking in…sparkle.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Oddly lacking in?sparkle.

… and depth of characterisation
    … and an identifiable antagonist
    … and an identifiable plot
    … and decent CGI
    … and not-being-written-by-Gareth-Roberts

JamesTC
    Participant

The special effects for the flying bus looked naff but I loved the flying sting ray things, some wonderful CGI for them.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Thought it was solid good fun. No complaints.

But I nearly forgot it was on! Must be something else on this evening that had drawn my attention…

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Right. Nearly forgot there was an Easter special Dr Who! What with all this talk of “Dwarf”. Just watched it. We’ve got family visiting, so I didn’t give it quite 100% attention. My initial thoughts.

Michelle Ryans acting. I actually enjoyed her in Bionic Woman. I loved the show and have been eagerly waiting for her to join the Doctor! What a rubbish character! The acting, the character, the……..everything about her! Dreadful!! If she ever returns, hope she does a better job!!

Lee Evans. Now I love Lee. As far as comedy stand-up goes, he is hilarious. Not exactly the best comic I’ve seen, but always funny. His character in this special however, wound me up! I prefer serious and dark Dr Who. I don’t mind the odd comedy episodes. Helps you to appreciate the darker moments. As long as they don’t go too silly! Lee made it too silly!!

The special effects! I thought I was watching Red Dwarf! Everything looked so false. I actually prefered the Skutters in last nights Dwarf!! Dissappointed slightly.

Overall, the episode was enjoyable. Liked the bug headed aliens. Bit too silly, but a good show that the kids enjoyed. I enjoyed it. Doesn’t come anywhere near my top 10 episodes, but watchable.

Ridley
    Participant

My opinion: meh.

Agreed.

ChrisM
    Participant

I really liked this episode. Except for the rubbish about the flying manta-rays causing worm-holes by flying around really fast. (Ok I didn’t hate even that, it was amusing in it’s silliness, but I think they could have come up with something else. The rays emanate tachyon particles, etc, etc, blah, blah. Sure that’s far fetched, but they’re alien. We’ve got a squid that can jump dimensions! Assuming that bit wasn’t an illusion. Heh got back to Dwarf talk in a Who thread…)

And Michelle Ryan is lovely.

Loved the flying bus.

I quite liked the fly head aliens too, but a bit more imagination with their bodies would have been nice. It’s great that strange looking no longer automatically means evil.

si
    Participant

Stop overanalysing it. It was good fun.

JamesTC
    Participant

The War Games = 50
    The Stones of Blood = 100
    Planet of the Dead = 200

Hmm…

Tanya Jones
    Participant

I thought Lee Evans was channelling Colin off Brittas, frankly, which was the best thing about it.

ChrisM
    Participant

>Stop overanalysing it. It was good fun.

You’re absolutely right. I loved it and the fun went a long way. As I said, even the silly wormhole explanation was amusing.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Stop overanalysing it. It was good fun.

Good point. We’d best shut down the internet.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Oh and yes…the “knocks four times” thing seemed to point to the sound of drums.

thomasaevans
    Participant

Andrew – Found it very ?meh?, to be honest. Oddly lacking in?sparkle.

100% agree. All the actors were great I thought, but It was very… Meh.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

What a bag of shit.

ChrisM
    Participant

>What a bag of shit.

The fly folk like that apparently.

;)

hummingbird
    Participant

Lee Evans was entertaining. The flying bus was bloody stupid.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Lee Evans was a fucking idiot.

ChrisM
    Participant

A thought just occurred.(Ping!) If they didn’t need the crystal, what was it used for on the alien ship? A power source? The bus was out of fuel but got by with just the anti-grav clamps…

Ok. Went into over-analytical mode again.

Yes the flying bus was stupid. (I loved it though. Then again I liked the flying train in BttF3 too.)

Jonsmad
    Participant

>I thought Lee Evans was channelling Colin off Brittas, frankly, which was the best >thing about it.

This.

Mr-Stabby
    Participant

Lee Evans was the best thing in it. Anyone else get the Malcolm reference? :) Got to be deliberate.

But like most people here, I thought it was ‘meh’. I honestly think NuWho has lost its sparkle. For me it happened after Rose left. Especially with the overuse of the Daleks and Cybermen and the constant bringing back of previous characters. I don’t feel like they’re moving the franchise forward like Series 1 and 2 did, they’re just repeating the same old stuff. Hopefully when Matt Smith comes along, the reset button will be hit, and we’ll get some new decent stories with the genius that is Steven Moffat at the helm.

Oh and i defended the doctor kissing every f*cking woman he met at the beginning, because it was new and different, but i just sighed when it was done this time. For gods sake do something original, like stick your hand down his trousers or something….jeeezus!

hummingbird
    Participant

BtE > Planet of the Dead

ChrisM
    Participant

>like stick your hand down his trousers or something?

So the name of this thread was prophetic then.

JamesTC
    Participant

Lee Evans is the best thing in this? How shit is it?

ChrisM
    Participant

>How shit is it?

Like that’s a bad thing. That’s a delicacy in some parts of the galaxy I’d have you know.

I’ll shut up with the fly poomunching gags now.

Liam Fretwell
    Participant

My opinion – Thank fuck Russell T Davies is leaving.

Rad
    Participant

‘I thought Lee Evans was channelling Colin off Brittas’.

Totally agree! Anyway, this episode was good fun. It wasn’t great but I don’t mind a couple more fluffy episodes of Who before The Doctor dies. Especially now that The Waters of Mars looks great in a Impossible Planet/Satan Pit way.

JamesTC
    Participant

The Waters Of Mars = WARS OF THE MASTER

Anagram

si
    Participant

>The Waters Of Mars = WARS OF THE MASTER

That is so brilliant. Though I can’t believe you’d be so anal to think of that.

JamesTC
    Participant

I didn’t, copied of IMDB.

JamesTC
    Participant

Though with an RTD script basically everything he writes is an anagram that will prophasise what will happen in an episode or two.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>BtE > Planet of the Dead

Yes. Even moreso after part two.

BUT I’M NOT GOING TO SPOILER THE DWARFCAST ANY MORE.

pfm
    Participant

I don’t know whether it’s due to me being all about BtE at the moment but I could hardly even concentrate on watching this…let’s pick a word…SHITE?? OK there are several positives, including Lee Evans, the way Michelle Ryan looks when hanging on wires, the fact that you can actually tell they’re not in Cardiff (er apart from the bits that obviously were shot there), but fuck me if it wasn’t so mindless it made The Next Doctor (seriously, for me the worst of the Ten era) look like genius of epic proportions!

Michelle Ryan is beautiful and is sometimes good in things (Merlin) but it’s as though she doesn’t know how to do ‘normal’. Every line was forced (it didn’t help that there was LOADS of ADR due to the location, wire work etc.) to the point where you just don’t care what she’s saying. Tennant was either on autopilot or over-egging stuff ad nauseum. One of my least-favourite turns from him. Lee Evans saved it. Whether he was channeling Colin or Rob Brydon in Gavin & Stacey I’m not sure, but it worked really well and I would love another appearance by him at some stage.

The whole thing felt like it didn’t matter. Perhaps RTD went into it with this mindset too, considering what’s around the corner. GENERIC civilians on the bus in ‘peril’, ready to cheer and thank the Doctor at the end. BORING oh look someone’s got low-level psychic abilities. CGI mostly dull and grey, no doubt partly due to the switch to HD (Torchwood suffered from this). The bus flying at the end felt too similar to the Doctor in the balloon and also the Titanic, another one of those overly-‘joyous’ moments that grate with me (I’m a misery, you see).

4/10.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

This was incredibly ropey. They went to a desert, they got out of the desert. That was it. Feeble. Would have added a bit of weight to proceedings if the Doctor had let Michelle Ryan’s character get carted off by the police. But they bailed on that.

>I thought Lee Evans was channelling Colin off Brittas, frankly, which was the best thing about it.

I was genuinely going to post the same thing.

One for the “Recommendations” bit.

JamesTC
    Participant

Just coming up to the end now, Lee Evans didn’t acually annoy me too much, he was annoying but not that much.

When it started it was just horrible, I doubt they have 4 guards on a holy grail as well as lasers, even if they did you would think one of them would look up.
    Then the police arrive within ten seconds of the alarm going off. It was just one big cringe, then David Tennant got on the bus and offered a piece of easter egg, well it made me smile.
    I won’t go into detail too much because it would all be too negative and over all I would rather be positive, since I have nothing positive to say I will leave it at that.
    3/10
    Wasn’t as bad as ‘Time and the Rani’ or ‘Last of the Time Lords’ but certainly below average.

pfm
    Participant

> if the Doctor had let Michelle Ryan?s character get carted off by the police. But they bailed on that.

I wish he had just screwdrivered the cuffs and the cop car drove away without us knowing whether she really got away or not. That would have made it more interesting than the overly obvious thing of her getting in the bus. But this is an RTD special we’re talking about!

I’ve currently got the HD version downloading so I AM going to watch it again, even though I’m not overly fussed. It’s just like The Next Doctor and Voyage of the Damned, I know I’ll never look back on it with any kind of fondness, unlike 90% of the rest of new Who.

Another Phil
    Participant

One thing that occured to me while watching Confidential on iplayer: given the trouble they went to getting the bus to Dubai and filming in a sandstorm, why didn’t they just do it on a beach in Rhyl? It could hardly have been worse…

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

was a decent episode decent story but with awefully shit cgi on the bus which ruined it and michelle ryan was a bossy lara croft wannabe hope to god she dont turn up again

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Was it just me who, every time the bus took off, half-expected the wheels to fold over horizontally like Back to the Future?s DeLorean, and found it slightly jarring when they didn?t?

“Oyster Cards? Where we’re going we won’t need *flips shades down* Oyster cards…”

si
    Participant

Yeah. You have to pay the Flux conductor.

Carlito
    Participant

“Sorry, no room on board, the bus is full to capacitor”.

Hmm…

Nah.

Jo
    Participant

>si / Sat, 2009-04-11 20:12 / #

Says the Hyperdrive fan ;o)

I thought the episode was… meh. Didn’t think much of Michelle Ryan, but to be fair to her I think it was the script that let her down rather than her acting ability.

I think one touch could have save the whole episode… the bus turning around and flying back into the camera. :oD

Dave
    Participant

>What a rubbish character! The acting, the character, the??..everything about her!

She has a lovely bum.

pfm
    Participant

> She has a lovely bum.

She’s got a lovely everything…is what I would say, if I were allowed… The wire work parts…and the black suit, bloody hell… Though her looks are about the only thing that’s carried her over the last couple of years! Her acting is just OK, to dodgy. She can’t seem to be able to do even her own voice in a role, let alone an American accent (for Bionic Woman).

Ben Paddon
    Participant

The only thing I really didn’t like about the episode was the patently ridiculous burglary at the start of the episode. The security system that rather conveniently doesn’t bother to protect the top of the artifact, which sits directly beneath a circular opening in the ceiling FOR SOME REASON; the rather ridiculous placement of the four guards (all facing in opposite directions, away from the artifact); the quite, quite stupid Mission: Impossible zip-line and double-fistpump when the switch is made; Lady Christina taking her mask off when she’s still in the museum; the bus-driver happily taking “diamond” earrings that could just as easily been cheap plastic ones from Claire’s…

Once the bus had made it’s rather silly journey, the episode was much better. Ignoring, of course, the Police officer who has a grudge against Lady Christina and who calls in UNIT.

Dave
    Participant

>zip-line and double-fistpump

Crikey

TheLeen
    Participant

Watched it last night, didn’t like it much. For reasons other people have already stated.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I enjoyed it overall, I just think it could’ve been stronger. Which is pretty much how I feel about every RTD episode sans “Midnight”.

(And, more recently, “Love & Monsters”, which I really hated at original broadcast but has since grown on me. It requires a bit of analysis, does that one. Most of it isn’t happening, strictly speaking. Very interesting.)

ChrisM
    Participant

Dana SkRani

Sorry.

Interesting if it turns out to be true though.

si
    Participant

In…teresting.

JamesTC
    Participant

Hurray, a return for a terribe character whose only 3 stories are all generally poorly recieved, hurray.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Dana SkRani

Sorry.

Interesting if it turns out to be true though.

ChrisM
    Participant

I don’t think I’ve seen any episodes with the Rani. I know she is an evil Time Lady of some sort who inexplicably has the word ‘The’ before her name (suggesting it’s not a name but a vocation? Time to get out my internet investigation cap methinks.)

I was aware of the character though, and mainly interested seeing a familiar name and Gillian Anderson’s involvement.

ChrisM
    Participant

Ok.

Actually the wiki background information on the character seemed quite interesting, but it usually does. Evil scientist, experiementation, etc.

And ‘rani’ is the Hindi word for ‘queen’ apparently.

JamesTC
    Participant

Just think of the Master, make him a woman and 1-dimensional, there you have The Rani!

Dave
    Participant

>Just think of the Master, make him a woman and 1-dimensional, there you have The Rani!

To be fair, the Rani is infinitely more complex a character than the Ainley Master in the corresponding stories. None of the Rani’s stories are good, this is true, but Kate O’Mara is by no means bad. Well no one comes out of Dimensions In Time with their head held high, but she’s the least annoying Time Lord in Mark Of The Rani, she makes a better Mel than Mel does and she does things for a reason, rather than just to be evil.

JamesTC
    Participant

Oh it is nothing to do with Kate O’Mara, just bad scripting, I mean in ‘Mark of the Rani’ why the hell was the Master dressed up as a scare crow and how the hell did he know the Doctor would arrive at that specific location. The less said of ‘Time on the Rani’ and ‘Dimensions in Time’ the better.

Muzzy
    Participant

> The less said of ?Time on the Rani? and ?Dimensions in Time? the better.

*Time AND The Rani ;-)

It would be interesting to see what they could do with the character in the new series. And see how they explain that SOMEONE ELSE managed to survive the Time War along with The Doctor, The Master, the Dalek race and Davros. Pretty soon there will have been absolutely no point in having the Time War at all. In fact, if they bring back the rest of the Time Lords as well at some point, they could even have The Second Time War in time for Series 6. Joy.

JamesTC
    Participant

>absolutely no point in having the Time War at all.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

Andrew
    Participant

> Hurray, a return for a terribe character whose only 3 stories are all generally poorly recieved, hurray.

> Oh it is nothing to do with Kate O?Mara, just bad scripting

Okay, I have an idea. Stick with me, because this is gonna be awfully daring:

They should get someone else to write the new Rani material. Someone who wasn’t involved with the other stories.

Can’t believe nobody else thought of it! :-)

JamesTC
    Participant

So wait you thing a bland character that was poorly recieved in 3 stories deserves a return when other enemies that are well recieved and are begging for a return are not, rather odd, what about the Sea Devils, what about the Ice Warriors (though I’m not a fan of those), what about the Meddling Monk.

Or wait a minute, wait just one minute, how about making up an original enemy, it might just be a crazy idea but it might work.

Andrew
    Participant

Yeah, because there’s no original enemies in the whole of new Who…

I didn’t say anything one way or the other about what the character ‘deserved’, nor about preferring this character being used over another one, old or new. I wasn’t aware it was an either/or deal, where this choice – apparently made by intelligent, creative minds – somehow jumped a queue of ‘worthier’ fictitious beings and took their entitled place at the party.

It’s just the kind of reaction that makes me nod with agreement when Davies takes a pop at online fandom. I just don’t think ‘poorly executed by someone else’ equals ‘is perpetually doomed to failure’. And I don’t believe in the fictional character queue.

My opinion on remakes is that you’re better off remaking a bad movie than a good one. Because you stand far more chance of bringing something original and inspired to the table without pissing anyone off. I think this holds more-or-less true for Who adversaries. I have my issues with the Sontaran two-parter, but I thought the execution of the enemy race was actually very good.

Which is to say: I don’t care much for the ‘people more brilliant than I am are WRONG and I know this immediately based on the way they’ve chosen to do a thing I don’t know much about yet’ school of criticism. I’m more into the ‘wait and see and try not to overreact’ thing.

JamesTC
    Participant

>Yeah, because there?s no original enemies in the whole of new Who?

Where did I say there isn’t, they do not have many good ones if you ask me though, the Ood are fantastic and I quite like the Judoon, the Adipose are cute, outside them I can’t think of a good new enemy though I would rather they would try and make a new enemy than use an old one, they seem to be tied to returning old enemies so I just think a good enemy should be returned so you can hit the ground running instead of re-making a character to make it better.

>I wasn?t aware it was an either/or deal

Neither was I

>where this choice – apparently made by intelligent, creative minds – somehow jumped a queue of ?worthier? fictitious beings and took their entitled place at the party.

Worthier was a poor choice of words, hmm, more interesting, more popular, scarier for the kiddies, they are reasons to choose an enemy like the Ice Warriors or the Sea Devils over the Rani. Oh and it would just add to the list of things that survived the Time War when 4 years ago the Doctor was the only survivor, I mean 1 Dalek survives, fine, a Dalek ship survived and built an army, ok, a Dalek group hid in the void, oh, The Master survived using a fob watch, eh, Davros survived by being pulled out by a Dalek and built an army, hmm, do you really thing adding “Then the Rani survived” would be good? I think it would make it even more ludicrous every time the Doctor says he is the only one left.

>My opinion on remakes is that you?re better off remaking a bad movie than a good one.

You are better off making a new film all together.

>I just don?t think ?poorly executed by someone else? equals ?is perpetually doomed to failure?

Neither do I but if a film was bad you will always go into the sequal thinking it will be bad, atleast that is the case for me.

pfm
    Participant

All this whining when, in fact, Moffat can do what the merry fuck he likes regarding The Rani because he’s going to be running the show and you’re not. Ice Warriors? They’ll be back. Sea Devils? Yep. Romana? I’d say so, if we haven’t already seen her – Christina?? The Rani and/or other Time Lords/Ladies? Probably. ANYTHING’S POSSIBLE.

e.g. The Master generates a portal leading back into the Time War. He evilly offers The Doctor the chance to go back and stop himself from ending the Time War, therefore saving their people. The Doctor takes the chance and goes through, emerging on a space station orbiting Skaro. He spies on his 8th incarnation and Lucie Miller (as played by Sheridan Smith). Somehow he saves Lucie from the end he always thought she’d had (some bricks falling on her or something), he explains the situation to her and sends her back to the portal so she can avoid McGann’s Doctor. He watches McGann mourn Lucie and promise to himself that his next incarnation would take influence from her northern accent. Then The Rani appears and the long and short of it is that SHE was the one that was really responsible for wiping out the Time Lords. All the Doctor’s guilt over the War is suddenly lifted and the slate is clean for Matt Smith’s Doctor. Even though he can’t save the Time Lords he grabs The Rani and drags her through the portal back to 2010 Earth. She escapes with The Master, after she shoots Lucie. Now The Rani is BACK.

TheLeen
    Participant

The Master generates a portal leading back into the Time War. He evilly offers The Doctor the chance to go back and stop himself from ending the Time War, therefore saving their people. The Doctor takes the chance and goes through, emerging on a space station orbiting Skaro. He spies on his 8th incarnation and Lucie Miller (as played by Sheridan Smith). Somehow he saves Lucie from the end he always thought she?d had (some bricks falling on her or something), he explains the situation to her and sends her back to the portal so she can avoid McGann?s Doctor. He watches McGann mourn Lucie and promise to himself that his next incarnation would take influence from her northern accent. Then The Rani appears and the long and short of it is that SHE was the one that was really responsible for wiping out the Time Lords. All the Doctor?s guilt over the War is suddenly lifted and the slate is clean for Matt Smith?s Doctor. Even though he can?t save the Time Lords he grabs The Rani and drags her through the portal back to 2010 Earth. She escapes with The Master, after she shoots Lucie. Now The Rani is BACK.

WHOA.

Dave
    Participant

>WHOA.

That’s Doctor Whoa to you.

Andrew
    Participant

> > My opinion on remakes is that you?re better off remaking a bad movie than a good one.

> You are better off making a new film all together.

Not quantifiably true at all. The Fly remake is a masterpiece, Cronenberg’s Rabid is interesting but kinda rubbish. There’s nothing definitive that proves that new stuff always beats reworked stuff. Shakespeare’s all adaptations and remakes.

Besides which, back with Who, including stuff from the canon isn’t an automatic lack or originality. It’s being part of a long-running series.

> > I just don?t think ?poorly executed by someone else? equals ?is perpetually doomed to failure?

> Neither do I but if a film was bad you will always go into the sequal thinking it will be bad, atleast that is the case for me.

In isolation, sure. but knowing some of the key differences – 20 years distance, wholly different creative team and cast – really should inform that opinion to some degree, shouldn’t it?

JamesTC
    Participant

I liked the original The Fly, just as much as the remake I would say, it has been a while since I saw it though, I still have memories of the end were he is on the spiders web shouting for help.

Phil1034
    Participant

All these rumours of the Rani (that could be the episode title; ‘Rumours of The Rani’) are a load of toss anyway. Just like when The Sun reported Footballers Wives’ Zoe Lucker was supposed to be playing the Rani back in Season 3 I think. She ain’t coming back, of that I am certain. Although if she did, she must turn people into trees again.

JamesTC
    Participant

Well yes they are almost certainly a load of rubbish, just The Sun with a slow news day and an “insider” probably.
    Moffat has said that he doesn’t want to return enemies in an interview hasn’t he?

Andrew
    Participant

> I liked the original The Fly, just as much as the remake I would say

Fair enough. But the remake is, for me, a significantly better piece of filmmaking – screenplay, depth, subtexts, performances. The original is a disposable schlocker, the remake is ‘about’ something.

Muzzy
    Participant

> Moffat has said that he doesn?t want to return enemies in an interview hasn?t he?

Yes and RTD said he wouldn’t be bringing the Master back again after the end of Series 3 but…

JamesTC
    Participant

>The original is a disposable schlocker, the remake is ?about? something.

I can see the point but when watching a film about a man turning into a fly I don’t want it to be about something, I just want to be entertained with what is an interesting concept.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Yeah, who needs themes?

Dave
    Participant

“I have strange thoughts when I’m awake.”
    “Yeah, they’re called themes.”

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Yes and RTD said he wouldn?t be bringing the Master back again after the end of Series 3 but?

But by the same token, RTD was told by the Beeb to stop misleading fans after the whole Blue Peter competition winner thing, because they were concerned about people getting pissed off about people misleading them.

(* To the extent that, when a friend of mine got the bus home and that fat guy from “The Real Hustle” stepped on to “check peoples’ tickets”, he couldn’t get off at his stop because the show’s director said it’d look unrealistic if he was on the bus at the start of the shot and off the bus again at the end of it.)

ChrisM
    Participant

I hope they paid him for the inconvenience.

Muzzy
    Participant

That’s quite sad if it’s true. Does no-one want to be surprised anymore? :-(

Andrew
    Participant

> I can see the point but when watching a film about a man turning into a fly I don?t want it to be about something, I just want to be entertained with what is an interesting concept.

Well..erm…wow. Just…wow.

Phil1034
    Participant

> Moffat has said that he doesn?t want to return enemies in an interview hasn?t he?

Just to confuse the ‘will Moffat use any old foes?’ debate even further; RTD says in one of his ‘Writer’s Tale’ e-mails to Ben Cook that he was surprised after his initial hand-over meetings with the Moff that there WASN’T a no old monsters rule. Of course things could have changed since then. To quote JNT, “one is tempted to say Who knows…?”

pfm
    Participant

> I don?t want it to be about something, I just want to be entertained with what is an interesting concept.

You are John Hoare.

Dave
    Participant

Best fansite URL ever:

Home

TheLeen
    Participant

Who else read that as Doctor Whore Views? No one? I see.

Dave
    Participant

>Who else read that as Doctor Whore Views? No one? I see

That is why I posted it.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Pen Island.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Powergen Italia

si
    Participant

Hang on, let me dig out that edition of QI…

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Therapist Finder. :S

Squeaky Gibson
    Participant

Found it a bit boring, was no way as epic as Journey’s End. the Water of Mars looks like another filler episode, until the 2 part finale that has links back to Human Nature/Family of Blood.

pfm
    Participant

RTD made it pretty clear that Planet of the Dead was the last ‘romp’ style episode so I’m guessing WoM will contain some important stuff, and people will DIE mwahaha!

Andrew
    Participant

> the Water of Mars looks like another filler episode

‘Filler’s’ a bit unfair since ‘self-contained’ is what’s really meant. Blink ain’t filler!

I don’t need Huge Arc Importantness to make the next Doctor Who work. But I would like it to be, well, significantly better than POTD. Which I found utterly feeble, and genuinely less interesting or entertaining than…well even my previous lows, The Long Game and Partners In Crime, which WERE arc-relevant stories.

ChrisM
    Participant

Some interesting Doctor Who spoiler pics here. Quite a large clue to future plot developments I warn you.

http://io9.com/5291509/your-first-look-at-doctor-whos-next-big-guest-stars

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 170 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.