Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Dr Who Series 6

Viewing 72 posts - 301 through 372 (of 372 total)
  • Author
    pfm
    Participant

Some utter utter bollocks from Gareth Roberts (the worst of Moffat’s tenure??) saved by Matt Smith and James Corden. Maybe it didn’t help that it followed two perfectly written and directed episodes but it felt clumsy, all over the place.

Not all bad, of course. Matt and James again having great chemistry. The Eleven/baby scene. The ending. Seeing Amy and Rory…did anyone else think, if only for a second, that it was more like Karen being asked for her autograph? I must admit I breathed a sigh of relief with the perfume poster reveal.

Ridley
    Participant

Seeing Amy and Rory…did anyone else think, if only for a second, that it was more like Karen being asked for her autograph? I must admit I breathed a sigh of relief with the perfume poster reveal.

I think that was the idea.

> (the worst of Moffat’s tenure??)

That would be Cold Blood.

si
    Participant

I’ve liked all of Gareth Roberts’ scripts. I *loved* The Unicorn and The Wasp. Don’t know why it (or, indeed, Gareth) gets people moaning.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Planet. Of. The. Dead.

Somebody
    Participant

> I’ve liked all of Gareth Roberts’ scripts. I *loved* The Unicorn and The Wasp. Don’t know why it… gets people moaning.

Because it was probably the most out-and-out BORING show of the entire New Series (not quite the worst, but the likes of The Last of the Time Lords crashed and burned. TU&TW was a complete damp squib).

pfm
    Participant

> That would be Cold Blood.

Actually, yeah.

ChrisM
    Participant

> When did the sonic screwdriver start shooting green laser beams?

Some time in the last 200 years? Been a long time for the Doctor since The God Complex

My question was more rhetorical really, although that’s certainly a believable explanation.

Thing is, it’s not needed. Nothing the sonic screwdriver did in the episode was outside it’s usual capacity, except the fact we saw a visual beam. And I’m sure, even now, everything was still meant to be sound based, (the Doctor even drew emphasis to the nature of the device in the episode) the beam was there just to look cool. “Oh, look the doctor is shooting lasers at the baddies!” That’s not the Doctor’s thing.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not really a big deal. Like complaining about the packaging for a present, maybe, and I did like the episode overall (bad resolution aside). The fact remains, the Doctor generally doesn’t shoot guns (okay he did shoot one in that Angels episode but not at anyone directly) but he does use tools.

Somebody
    Participant

I think it’s more bothersome because it won’t happen consistently from now on – witness RTD’s comment in Writer’s Tale after rewatching Rose that they could never have afforded to keep doing the haze effect the sonic gave off in use during that episode. Same thing here, I imagine.

si
    Participant

> Planet. Of. The. Dead

Fair point.

> Planet. Of. The. Dead

Not Moffat’s tenure.

But yes.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I was replying to Si, who said he couldn’t understand why Roberts gets such a bad rep.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Carry on.

si
    Participant

> I was replying to Si, who said he couldn’t understand why Roberts gets such a bad rep.

Yeah, it’s not a great episode, is it? I’d actually forgotten about that – I’d certainly forgotten Gareth Roberts wrote it – which kind of says everything.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Just watched this. So… Cybermen are made made by putting people into a metal suit, now?

Definitely an enjoyable episode, though, and a frigging marvel compared to Roberts’ other episodes.

ChrisM
    Participant

I’m pretty sure these are the original Cybermen despite how they look. (Well not original, original since I think they’re mainly converted shop-folk, but I think the technology is the alien Mondasian variety rather than the parallel universe jobs.) Didn’t those ones always convert the entire body? (I haven’t seen that many of the original episodes so I don’t know for sure, but I remember Old Who fans making a fuss when the Cybus cybermen turned out to be brains in mech-bodies.)

Mind you even the Cybus Cybermen started doing total physical conversions too when they’re resources started to run low, if we believe that Cyberwoman episode of Torchwood. As these guys are in a similar boat* I suppose this makes sense.

*Or ship. :)

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

If Corden had been converted, at least that would’ve explained away the fat Cybermen of the 80s.

Somebody
    Participant

Doctor Who Confidential’s been efficiency-savinged: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/sep/28/doctor-who-confidential-axed

If anyone doesn’t know/is bothered, there’s this:

http://twitter.com/#!/SaveDWC

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Firstly, I have absolutely no time for arguments that go “They’re axing the thing I like, they should be axing that other thing I don’t like!” It’s the same as the people during the Save 6Music campaign (which I supported) who said they should get rid of BBC3 instead. No. It doesn’t work like that. So whether or not BBC3 are keeping “Young, Dumb and Living off Mum” shouldn’t be relevant to a discussion about DWC.

Secondly… well, are there any compelling reasons for keeping it? I can’t even see one given in the text of the petition. If they can’t be bothered to come up with a reason, why should we be bothered? Okay, DWC served a purpose in the early days, but it was long past the point of having any real use or value and was little more than hollow cheerleading. And the BBC have to make cutbacks – so if it’s a case of cutting the budget of Who, or losing DWC entirely… well, I know which I’d prefer.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Why are they axing the wonderful Doctor Who Confidential but continuing to make that piece of shit Doctor Who?

Madness.

Somebody
    Participant

> And the BBC have to make cutbacks – so if it’s a case of cutting the budget of Who, or losing DWC entirely… well, I know which I’d prefer

Who’s from the BBC1 budget (plus assorted monies from BBC Worldwide), DWC’s from the BBC3 budget (plus whatever 2|entertain paid to put the Cutdowns on the boxsets).

Money saved from axing DWC thus won’t go to the Who budget, it’ll go to other BBC3 shows (including, yes, “Young, Dumb and Living Off Mum”).

Pete Part Three
    Participant

BBC THREE IS NO LONGER INTERESTED IN THE TYPE OF AUDIENCE DOCTOR WHO CONFIDENTIAL ATTRACTS.

Wait, so Young, Dumb and Living Off Mum isn’t considered a classic piece of television history?

hummingbird
    Participant

Just watched Closing Time. That was a bit crap, wasn’t it?

Why?

hummingbird
    Participant

I was just very under-whelmed by it all. It had some good moments, but over all the story felt under-developed and clunky. It seemed as if it was just a filler ep leading up to the scenes with River at the end. I think it’s the weakest of the series.

si
    Participant

The first half of the series was a bit up and down – TIA/DOTM: Up; COTBS: Down; TDW: Up (and then some); TRF/TAP: Down (apart from the last minute or so); AGMGTW: Up (though not as high as it should be).

The second half has, for me, been the strongest run of consistantly good, enjoyable episodes since the show’s return. Sure, they’ve all got weak points if they’re over scrutinised, but CT was still (insert suitably large number here) times better than, for example, The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood or Curse of the Black Spot.

So, er, yeah. What were we on about?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

The best run for me remains Human Nature/Family of Blood, Blink and Utopia. The tail end of Season 4 would give it a run for its money, were it not for including shitty Turn Left.

I guess I agree, although I think Curse of the Black Spot was the weakest and I still enjoyed the episode.

My speculation: The TARDIS has something to do with how the Doctor ends up not dying. I only think this because of something I read that other people may not have though, so I won’t elaborate in case it’s a spoiler for people. But I definitely think the TARDIS plays a major part of it. If I’m wrong, then everyone pretend I said “the Doctor that dies is a ganger.” (this is not the possible spoiler that I read, it’s other people’s speculations) At least then I’m wrong with millions of other people, especially those on the website where I read the possible spoiler.

Did I make ANY sense in this post?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

If it’s a ganger, that’ll be lame. They said it wasn’t a clone or whatever in The Impossible Astronaut so if it is I won’t be amused. In fact I probably won’t watch the show again for months.

This is not to say that I have any expectation that the climax of all this madness will be satisfying. I’m bored of reset buttons and garbled explanation that make bollock-all sense as it makes the show seem like Star Trek : Voygager and yet I doubt there’s any other way to resolve this.

Moffat’s revels to much in creation confusion for no need. Dangling question are great but I watched TIA,DOTM earlier this week and that opening of DOTM is just…pointless, makes no sense and serves no purpose other than to make the audience go “wha…??”

I’ve read on the net that the end of the series leaves the characters “in line with Moffat’s vision”. So I remain optimistic that there won’t be a reset button pushed, though no doubt if there isn’t there will be tweets about how the Doctor should just show up, fix a problem, and leave again since the show is getting too big for its breeches. I had a small argument with some dude on twitter about that. I think the show should do as many interesting things as possible, tweak the format, experiment with ways of telling stories etc. I guess it’s just a shame that it can’t really do it TO THE MAX, being such a mainstream show which needs to attract the casual viewer more than a die-hard fan who will watch the show whether they hate the new story lines/Doctor/etc.

Also, I’ve just dug out some Dodgem Logic magazines, and it got me to thinking what a modern episode of Doctor Who by Alan Moore would be like. After all, Neil Gaiman’s episode was amazing. Not that I think AM would actually do it, mind.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Confidential is made up of montages of retakes set to terrible pop music. We seldom ever get a proper behind-the-scenes look at anything. It’s a bit crap, to be honest. I’m pleased to see it go. Maybe we’ll get some decent DVD/Bluray extras come series 7 in its place.

Meanwhile, I decided to George Lucas a scene from the classic series. I made a handful of extremely minor changes, but I think they really make the scene in question pop. Check out wot I dun.

ChrisM
    Participant

One way the story could continue without a reset button:

Possible spoilers, but I’m extrapolating this purely on the episodes I’ve seen so far, not leaked stuff on the internet.

The doctor actually dies…. and the ganger takes on his role instead. Considering the Tardis has some mysterious power to stabilise the biology of gangers he could be functionally identical to the original although I’m not sure that would include the regenerations. Their DNA would still be different surely, or maybe the bio-gunk copies that too.

Mind you, I think that would smeg fans off even more than the reset buttons since technically the Doctor who has existed for all these decades (centuries in show time) would be technically dead for good.

Of course he could transfer his consciousness to the ganger too, so it’s not just a copy of his mind. It would actually BE his mind. I know Moffat doesn’t believe in the soul but there’s forerunners of this in both the ganger episode and Gaiman’s one with the Doctor’s Wife. I think many fans would accept that better.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Mind you, I think that would smeg fans off even more than the reset buttons since technically the Doctor who has existed for all these decades (centuries in show time) would be technically dead for good.

Well, yeah. I’ve only been watching for six years (discounting the TV Movie) and that would piss me off. It’s like Rimmer in VIII. He’s not “our” Rimmer.

I also have a backup theory that Jim the Fish saves the day.

pfm
    Participant

There’s no way it’s gonna be anything other than his death being faked. If it involves the ganger Doctor then yes it WILL be disappointing, but I would accept it as the Doctor’s last ditch attempt to save his own skin. The key is making the Silence and the Tardis crew believe that he is truly dead.

Bit disappointing anyway.

So who the fuck is Jim the Fish?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

It’s not that I didn’t find that interesting and very watchable, but I also found it to be a chaotic mess full of incomprehensible exposition, inconsequential action sequences and yet more fucking foreshadowing. There was five minutes of story in this, the rest was just Moffat pissing about.

RTD had his faults, but 3 of his 4 season finales were better than this, and his other (season three) was just about on a par with this.

Moffat needs to reign it in. His best episode in the last year remains A Christmas Carol and three of his supporting team have shown him up this season.

Jim the Fish was mentioned in TIA btw.

They said that they (the Doctor and River) has met him by TIA. But surely the Doctor wouldn’t have seen River again since LKH in his timeline.

Or am I hopelessly confused?

I think I am anyway, to be honest…

My gripe with TWoRS is pretty much the same as yours; a lack of actual revelations and too much “fucking foreshadowing”. This is compounded by the fact that we’re only getting half a series next year. I was okay with the (sort of) anti climatic first series because I assumed that the following series would actually have something more interesting happen.

Although I’m not going to rag on Moffat, seeing as I’ve loved everything else he’s done, especially Sherlock and Jekyll. I genuinely respect his talent, even if he has left me annoyed this evening.

Nick R
    Participant

Whenever someone mentions Jim the Fish, it can’t help but conjure up images of Bob the Killer Goldfish

I’m seeing a bit of a pattern to the openings of Moffat’s finales/mid-series finales: disorientate us by presenting us with radically different versions of Earth (the sky with no stars in “The Big Bang”; the mashed-up history in this) and skipping quickly between locations (the “20,000 light-years away” jump in “A Good Man Goes to War”; the Doctor’s detective trail in this). It’s still a formula that’s working for me, but the very fact I’ve spotted it means I hope the same structure isn’t used for the next big episode.

Not quite convinced by Amy and Rory and River’s memories of the mashup timeline carrying across to this one, in the same way I wasn’t quite sure about Rory retaining his memories of a thousand years spent guarding the Pandorica.

Also: seems a bit odd to ask how long before the Silence break in and reply “a couple of minutes” when time’s not passing, doesn’t it? ;-)

a lack of actual revelations and too much “fucking foreshadowing”

True, things like the eyepatches being related to Silence memories and the question being “Doctor who?” had been part of many fans’ speculation.

So most of those “revelations” turned out to be secondary to the enjoyment that came from things like the Indiana Jones sequence, the Doctor’s brief “You can’t rewrite a fixed point in time, who told you that?” objection before the universe disintegrated around them, the wi-fi gag, Live Chess, the increasing tally marks on the Doctor’s arm during his talk with Churchill, and the Brigadier mention. And things like that were very entertaining!

As for the foreshadowing, I’ve no problem with storylines bleeding across series. But maybe it’s felt a bit artificial to keep them carrying on so long: “Silence will fall” was introduced all the way back in episode Fnarg.01 (and so was the TARDIS explosion, IIRC).

Also, some of the structuring has been unbalanced during this series. I think the series was hurt by having the very similar “Night Terrors” and “The God Complex” (exit-less settings, childhood fears theme) so close together. Having those three mostly stand-alone tales in a row also drew attention to the apparent ease with which Amy and Rory seemed to accept they’d never be able to raise their daughter, which was a big issue for many viewers. That wouldn’t have been as much of a problem if there hadn’t been a mid-series break, so that “A Good Man Goes to War” and “Let’s Kill Hitler” could have been closer to the finale.

Somebody
    Participant

> They said that they (the Doctor and River) has met him by TIA. But surely the Doctor wouldn’t have seen River again since LKH in his timeline.
    > Or am I hopelessly confused?

The latter. It’s been a couple of hundred years since LKH for the Doctor, and take a look at the diary scene from TIA to see just how many times the Doctor’s met River since then…

The important thing is that I’m not ALWAYS wrong.

pfm
    Participant

> There was five minutes of story in this, the rest was just Moffat pissing about.

‘Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone’ aside, that’s different to any other Moffat episode how??

As soon as the ‘previously…’ showed the Tesselector it was instantly blatant that this was gonna be the explanation. I was thinking earlier that if the ganger Doctor was going to be used they would have to flashback to it, seeing as half the audience would probably have forgotten about that 2-parter. So showing the Tesselector clip fron LKH, as well as them showing up again early in the finale itself, wasn’t really a signpost, more like a fucking billboard indicating how he cheats his death.

Some awful direction in this episode. At least The Big Bang hit all the right emotional beats. TWoRS managed to come across as pretty lifeless considering the build-up from TIA, the constant harping on about the Doctor’s death, the growing realisation of how connected River is to the rest of them etc. Ah well….

One thing. Nobody…nobody…and I mean NOBODY, not one person could have predicted that the Doctor’s line ‘it’s time’ immediately followed the revelation that the Brig had passed away! Also,that the hearing of that news had quite a large effect on the Doctor’s decision to accept his own ‘death’. In a way I find it somewhat callous of Moffat to throw the fate of that classic character in with the rest of his madcap bollocks and to use it as a device rather than a dedication to the Brig and Courtney. I’m gonna shutup……….

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Just realised what it reminded me of. “Breaking the Magician’s Code”, only less satisfying cos it had a shitoad of padding that did not really matter. Who cares what happens in a timeline where nothing has any consequence? And that was 95% of the episode.

This whole arc was Moffat thinking “What would fuck with everyone’s head?” and then trying to rationalise it. It didn’t work. Thank god for wonderful episodes like The Doctor’s Wife and The Girl Who Waited

When the thing at stake is the Doctor’s life, no one is going to be invested because we’re all looking for a get out clause. And when the get-out clause takes two minutes of explanation and THAT”S IT, it’s really not worthy of our time, What actually happened in 45 minutes that affected the status quo? Very little, because it happened in an abandoned timeline.

Is this really the same guy that gave us Blink, The Girl in the Fireplace and Silence in the Library? Really? What the hell happened?

Seriously. Slate me all you want for “not understanding it”(cue Ben soonish) but this depressed me more than “pray for the Doctor” in Last of the Timelords.

Urgh.

>Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone’ aside, that’s different to any other Moffat episode how??

I don’t know what you mean. Every other Moffat story before the tail end of Season Five (even The Beast Below which I thought was piss-poor) had stuff happening of consequence. Blink is incredibly plotted. The Doctor Dances is a wonderful idea, slowly revealed. The Girl in the Fireplace is near-perfect. Beginning, middle and end. Is that too much to ask for? Not a mystery in Episode one, followed by 40 minutes of bullshit before a five minute explanation in episode 13.

si
    Participant

Is Jim the Fish Billy’s brother?

steven87gill
    Participant

Time disintegrating was too similar to the finale last year. The presentation of the event was different, but the basic idea was a notch too similar for two series finales in succession. However the timey wimey in this was easier to wrap my head around than last years, which if I’m perfectly honest….I still haven’t really got.
    By the same token, the skewed timeline was more or less just a way to drag out the resolution. My guess is that if the skewed timeline subplot wasn’t there then there would be more people on internet forums going ‘‘ZOMG THAT WAS SO OBVIOUS I GUESSED THAT AGES AGO’’. So the Moff came up with a clever ‘bells and whistles’ way of distracting the audience so that when the reveal comes of how the doctor actually escapes, you’re still scratching you head over the tangent timeline to realise the resolution wasn‘t as surprising as you first thought.

And actually, compared to the reaction the River Song reveal got, it seems to have worked a treat.

Believe it or not though, I .really. enjoyed this finale.

Looking forward to the Xmas special.

ChrisM
    Participant

It got a bit sappy at the end, but I enjoyed it a lot. The mashed up universe was messy (but then it was meant to be) and didn’t entirely make sense if you analyse it, but… it was a lot of fun. I loved the steam trains in a modern setting. Not sure why so many cars would be lifted by hot air balloons but I enjoyed the imagery.

And I loved the resolution. Sure it was signposted earlier. I wondered when we saw the Doctor’s interview with the Tesselector if that would be used, but as he left through the door and it wasn’t revealed until later that he came back, my attention was diverted so he conclusion ended up a surprise after all.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Excellent solid episode. Satisfying revelations. Great jokes. Lovely plotting. A few carrots dangled for Series 7 and maybe even the 50th anniversary.

There’s probably a case to be argued for Moffat-fatigue. His writing has it’s staples, just as RTD had his and indeed every writer ever always had done.

Luckily for a show about an alien time-traveller who loves humans. The Moff writes great humans, great aliens and flamboyant fun use of time-travel.

I thought last year’s ending was damn near perfect, I prefer it to this particular finale, but pound for pound it’s probably been the best series of New Who.

si
    Participant

I originally thought the ending had more than a hint of cheddar about it, but Moffat has stated before that he wanted to put the mystery back into the Doctor, and what better way to realise that than with that ending and that question? Not quite OMFG amazing, but excellent stuff nevertheless, and, I think, a hell of a lot cleverer than you realise on the first viewing.

In other matters – Confidential and The Axe. Who else thinks that that final(?) Instalment was one of the best we’ve ever seen? That River Timeline was exceptional. I want to know who wrote that linking narration – was it Moffat, or just a DWC Production team member?

pfm
    Participant

> I don’t know what you mean.

Sry, I meant the episodes during his tenure as showrunner.

> but as he left through the door and it wasn’t revealed until later that he came back,

I’m still not sure whether I like that… Though I absolutely love the pure glee of the Doctor as we see him inside the Tesselecta. He’s never been more happy with himself than when River spies him through the eye!

One thing I’m calling for series 7 – Amy and Rory leaving the Tardis WITH baby Melody whom they DO bring up! Somehow it will work out. This is the only reason Amy would leave the Doctor (without them being ripped apart, and we’ve already seen that so it would be boring to repeat it), for her baby.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> Though I absolutely love the pure glee of the Doctor as we see him inside the Tesselecta. He’s never been more happy with himself than when River spies him through the eye!

Yes! Excellent grinning. I did notice a couple of people on twitter moaning. I’m disappointed. The twist was obviously. I find that a bit frustrating firstly because it wasn’t obviously. We didn’t all sit here all knowing exactly how it was going to play out, hardly anybody did in fact.

With the show nearly 50 years old clearly they were never going to actually kill off the lead character once and for all. Yet to say all the ‘Tick Tock… the Doctor dies’ advertising wasn’t fair game is wrong because as it played out, to almost everyone in the universe HE DID DIE.

The crew of the tesselecta’s records had his date of death as being on that beach, the Tardis records had the date of death as being on that beach, River sent a beacon all across time, space and reality stating that The Doctor was going to die and needed help, oh and the silence had at least one of their number on the beach watching the event to make sure it happened. So it was always about how he faked it.

What probably dejects me more is the idea that it was all about ‘the twist’, there was plenty in that episode in terms of dialogue, setup and character that I loved to bits.

Dickens writing Xmas Specials
    Rory appearing again as the faithful soldier
    The Doctor actually getting smegging married

It seems fairly likely Moffat will be in charge for the 50th anniversary show. That anniversary itself for me grants him a certain license to shift and manipulate the character and the mythos of the show more than a normal run of the show would have. We know the Doctor has a grand-daughter, there’s often hints of the family in his past. So tbh it’s about bloody time we saw an on-screen relationship. For me it hasn’t killed any of the mythos, it’s been ideal to the character, spectacularly written and bloody good fun.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

In other matters – Confidential and The Axe. Who else thinks that that final(?) Instalment was one of the best we’ve ever seen? That River Timeline was exceptional.

The River Song timeline was an exceptional six-or-so minutes in an otherwise turgid hour of telly. Confidential completely justified its axing with that last episode.

But anyway, “The Wedding of River Song” was quite spectacular – a very “Empire Strikes Back” way of ending the series, I felt.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Excellent solid episode. Satisfying revelations. Great jokes. Lovely plotting. A few carrots dangled for Series 7 and maybe even the 50th anniversary.

Agree with all of this.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

45 minutes of plot, 5 minutes of story. Moffat disguises it better than most with smart characterisation and witty dialogue, but it was still a bunch of exposition and nothing much actually happening. The Doctor got married, Madame Kovarian died, The Doctor revealed his real name to River. Oh, no…wait. None of that actually happened.

pfm
    Participant

> with smart characterisation and witty dialogue

Yep. Despite the fact that Moffat is obsessed with putting Amy, Rory and River in various states of…’Do I know you? Do I know myself? Do I remember the alternate timeline??’ etc. they’re still the same brilliant characters who leave you smiling with the way they bounce off each other. The main cast have done an amazing job of holding it all together, in the face of Moffat’s ever-increasing lunacy! (*sigh* nevermind, Toby Whithouse in 2014…;P)

Karen and Arthur IMO have grown into the best onscreen partnership seen in new Who. And I’m so glad Moffat just embraced them as a couple rather than pushing for any kind of Amy/Doctor shenanigans. They’re easily the most successful element of Moffat’s tenure.

I do not hate Moffat…though thank the gods Confidential is ending ’cause I can’t bear the smugness no more!! :P Alright, maybe you CAN be that smug after you’ve written TEC/TDD or Blink……

I haven’t gone back to re-watch it yet, but the more I think about the episode the less disappointed I am. I mean, my first reaction was more to do with the lack of any resolution but now I’ve had time to think, it was actually a fun episode with some good ideas in there…

I guess I just bigged (is there really no such words as bigged?? I use it all the time!) it up in my head and was disappointed when it wasn’t as cataclysmic as the last Doctor Who finale I’d seen (well, technically HEARD as it was To The Death, the Big Finish audio drama… which is absolutely amazing and everyone should listen to the whole of the 4th series of the Eighth Doctor Adventures, if they haven’t already).

So, reactionary side of me = WTF! That didn’t answer ANYTHING!
    Tranquil, reflective side of me = That was quite fun, actually.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> it was still a bunch of exposition and nothing much actually happening.

Does a story actually have to contain physical actions in order to be classed as a story though? Sure Moffat who does seem to involve a lot more standing around talking through clever dialogue than RTD’s approach off run about a lot, shout a dramatic catchphrase, go emo over Rose, but c’est la vie.

I went to see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy recently. The whole thing is essentially blokes in suits sitting around talking, but that doesn’t mean a tale isn’t being told and that the story isn’t always progressing, it’s simply doing so internally rather than externally. And no I’m not saying the Who finale had the emotional depth of a John Le Carre novel I use it simply as an example.

I can’t recall if it was Seb or flatmate of the website Julian who mentioned at the weekend that Moff explained River’s entire arc to Alex Kingston on the flight over to the US prior to filing in the opening episode. The result being that River/Alex Kingston knew she was playing Amy’s daughter at a point when Karen/Amy had no clue.

This led to Alex/River grabbing hold of ‘mother’ at emotional moments and Karen reacting (as would the character) with a WTF!? element of suprise.
    Such things do not on the face of it add to the story, but they do add integrity and re-watch value.

Another example would be the glorious opening fifteen minutes of Inglorious Basterds which could be summarized as Nazis find and… *spoilers*, but it’s such a fantastic scene and to summarise it so would be a disservice.

I guess, I’m saying does it really ever really matter how much happens if the way it’s told is entertaining, watchable TV?

Bob Loblaw
    Participant

> I guess I just bigged (is there really no such words as bigged?? I use it all the time!)

I believe the word you’re looking for is embiggen. That is a far more cromulent word.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

That is a far more cromulent word.

That reminds me of the legend of Cromulent and Chaka-Demus. Or is it Oliver Cromulent? I digest.

Anyways. I’ve managed to actually stick with the Smith-era of Who, having tried countless time and falling behind ridiculously. There was, a tiny speck of wonder, whether they were actually going to kill the Doctor off… Isn’t there some thing about the Doctor only being to regenerate a certain number of times, or is that something one particular writer came up with that isn’t canon?

Really enjoying it, though. Some cracking episodes.

Somebody
    Participant

Re: Danny Stephenson/Doctor’ regeneration limit

He’s only meant to be able to regenerate twelve times per Deadly Assassin & Twin Dilemma – and, given that one of his shots went on Handy/10.5, he should really only have one left (and River giving up “all her remaining regenerations” says there is still *a* limit). ISTR something (Five Doctors?) attributing it to a fear that too many regenerations sent a Time Lord permanently doolally.

OTOH, it’s something that there’s at least a 50/50 chance of them handwaving it away with a line like “they unlocked the limit during the Time War” (which River wasn’t in). Certainly, we know the Time Lords “resurrected” the Master during it (& RTD said in A Writer’s Tale that he believed they’d brought all the dead TLs back), and Eleven claimed he could regenerate 507 times when bugged by Clyde in his RTD-written guest appearance in SJA.

PS: Pagination. Time for new thread?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>given that one of his shots went on Handy/10.5

The words “I didn’t need to regenerate, why should I?” suggest that no, he didn’t.

Somebody
    Participant

The line was “You see? Used the regeneration energy to heal myself, but as soon as that was done, I didn’t need to change. I didn’t want to, why would I?

And then Handy said “I’m unique – never been another like me, ’cause all that regeneration energy went into the hand. Look at the hand – I love that hand – but then you touched it. *Wham!* “

So, yeah, he used a full shot.

pfm
    Participant

Okay, not series 6 related, but I still can’t stop laughing at this…

Screen shot 2011 10 07 at 19 30 53

si
    Participant

That is brilliant.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Brent Spiner was telling people at Collect-O-Mania that he’d love to be in Doctor Who. Turns out he already was.

Alex
    Participant

A new one for Doctor Dwarf; Mark Williams was seen filming for series 7 this morning.

si
    Participant

Spoilers!! Re: Doctor Dwarf – I did actually start making loads of notes. All the actors and crew members who have worked on both shows. Then Francis Barber started popping up in Who last year, and I decided to wait. So ‘The Ultimate Doctor Dwarf Encyclopedia’ is added to my list of ‘things I’m gonna write no really I am’. Likewise the ‘Red Dwarf Title Sequence Montage Dissection’ piece I’ve currently got a dozen pages of notes on.

Sorry, gone off topic. :/

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> A new one for Doctor Dwarf; Mark Williams was seen filming for series 7 this morning.

They wanna be together.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> A new one for Doctor Dwarf; Mark Williams was seen filming for series 7 this morning.

They wanna be together.

Nick R
    Participant

> They wanna be together.

Wait, that was Mark Williams in that advert?

I remember that phrase vividly, but never realised it was him! Mind blown.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster
Viewing 72 posts - 301 through 372 (of 372 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.