Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Did you see Doctor Who? – Spoilers!

Viewing 100 posts - 101 through 200 (of 361 total)
  • Author
    Ridley
    Participant

I didn’t much care for the Family of Blood one but I’d have to see it again to point out exactly why.

And I’m of the opinion Mr. Davies should step back from writing episodes and stick to whatever else it is he does on the series since for the most part it feels to me like he jumps between who/what he’s trying to cater for be it old fans, new fans, kids, adults, the gay community, Wales, serial, contained story, himself, pop culture, political satire, romance, action etc. because it doesn’t come across as a sensible balance.

pfm
    Participant

This country…

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>whatever else it is he does on the series

You probably didn’t mean it that way, but this sounds massively dismissive. Beyond writing and exec producing, RTD does a HELL of a lot of work on Who, most of which is stuff that the fans will never even really see or be aware of (because it’s not really aimed at them). I know he’s written some shite episodes, and he makes decisions (and, for that matter, public comments) that piss people off – but I honestly do not think there is ANYONE who would or could have done everything he has to make the show the biggest non-soap thing on British telly.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I just think the point is worth reiterating. We’ll really bloody miss him when he’s gone. Except for Arlene.

Ridley
    Participant

Well no, I’m just suggesting it might be better for him to back off on the writing so much and concentrate the role(s) he does behind the scenes.

Whatever they may be. ;)

Andrew
    Participant

> but I honestly do not think there is ANYONE who would or could have done everything he has to make the show the biggest non-soap thing on British telly.

Indeed.

My understanding is that, for a majority of episodes, he turns up with a pile of ideas – “Vesuvius, lava monster, psychics” – and assigns them a writer. But it’s also pretty clear that his is the eye on the emotional significance of things, it’s his perspective that everyone is tuning into when it comes to making situations MATTER to both guest and regular characters. (Something I think old Who was often missing.)

It’s remarkable to watch the footage of the ‘tone meetings’ on the DVDs, to see the way a pitched story evolves as everyone tunes in to the ideas. Davies, of course, holds the final say at the end of every discussion.

I think Davies, and the show, are in need of a stronger script editor – someone who can tell the showrunner when he’s dropped the ball. Not an easy thing…

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Well no, I?m just suggesting it might be better for him to back off on the writing so much and concentrate the role(s) he does behind the scenes.

It’ll never go that way, though – I personally doubt he’ll be showrunner beyond the specials (which, conversely, is why I think Tennant will be around for at least one series AFTER them). But no matter when he stops doing that, he’ll always be a writer – I can’t see the new boss, whoever it might be, not giving him the odd episode here and there. And I also think that when he’s not running it any more, we may well see the best of him as a writer of episodes.

pfm
    Participant

As much as I like them I don’t want Tennant and RTD to be around for series 5. After the specials the show will definitely need a big reboot, otherwise things are going to get stale. The classic series would have been boring if it had been years and years of the same Doctor and same producers (I do reckon Baker should have gone 2 seasons before he did, even though of course there ARE decent episodes in his latter days).

My thinking is that if it gets the reboot sooner rather than later then there’s a better chance of the show’s long-term survival. If RTD and Tennant stay on for season 5 and the viewers drop, the BBC could realistically decide enough is enough and can the whole thing. Yeah everyone’s gonna buy it on DVD but, as is the case with Dwarf, BBC TV couldn’t give much of a toss about that. IMO the current love-in with Who could be all over so fast we wouldn’t know what happened. Nothing is certain. OK, a new Doctor and new showrunner could come in and everyone hates it, but it’s a risk they’ve got to take.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

> but I honestly do not think there is ANYONE who would or could have done everything he has to make the show the biggest non-soap thing on British telly.

Very true and he should be applauded for that…but it doesn’t mean that his input makes it a BETTER show. It just ensures that it has mass appeal.

In the same way…the soaps always get the highest viewing figures…but they’re not the best dramas on TV.

RTD brought Doctor Who back in a way that made it successful. But when I look at episodes like Blink and Human Nature…shows where what I perceive to be RTD’s voice is more distant / less apparent, the quality just kicks up a gear.

And these shows don’t lose what makes new Who great / appealing. They just do it in a classier and more intelligent way. I sometimes think that RTD underestimates the audience.

I’m personally looking forward to RTD taking a back seat and letting someone else (Moffat / Cornell) come to the fore. I think they will maintain the current audience as well as really better capturing the spirit that makes old Who and new Who (at its best) so very very good.

Andrew
    Participant

> Nothing is certain. OK, a new Doctor and new showrunner could come in and everyone hates it, but it?s a risk they?ve got to take.

Maybe creatively, from a certain point of view, but it’s not a risk they need to take yet from a popular perspective. The ratings completely justify not fixing what ain’t bust.

> If RTD and Tennant stay on for season 5 and the viewers drop, the BBC could realistically decide enough is enough and can the whole thing.

I honestly doubt one series either way would seriously damage the show”s long-term survival. There’s no way a dip during a hypothetical fifth series would go so low to make the whole thing dumpable. Partly because the level of drop-off required would have to be unspeakably massive (from the current 5-8m down to, say, less than 2), but mostly because it would genuinely require all decision makers to believe that the show was unsalvageable.

I’ve said before that anything can happen, the show could die. But it’d take a lot more right now than a bit of creative exhaustion. Cast an exciting newcomer as the lead (or pull the Davies stunt and start with an actual Big Name, just to get things running again), install a safe-to-the-BBC pair of hands to show-run (names like Matthew Graham would no doubt be kicked around) and off they go again – salvation for the ratings, and the reputation.

Too much is invested in Who right now for the show to be let die at the first stumble.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>(names like Matthew Graham would no doubt be kicked around)

Ugh, you would hope that Fear Her would prevent him from ever getting near the show again. “It’s not just a flame any more, it’s hope, and it’s love”.

I think we all know who the likely future showrunner is. The fans love him, the BBC love him. I only hope he actually wants the job.

but it doesn?t mean that his input makes it a BETTER show. It just ensures that it has mass appeal… when I look at episodes like Blink and Human Nature?shows where what I perceive to be RTD?s voice is more distant / less apparent, the quality just kicks up a gear.

But who do you think will have brought Cornell and Moffat in in the first place? Cornell was a sometime-Casualty writer who’d done a few Who books. Moffat hadn’t really done anything since a lacklustre fourth series of Coupling, and certainly wasn’t at all known for drama. Again, I’m sounding like RTD’s biggest apologist, but don’t overlook the role he had in bridging the gap between Tellydom (of which he was already a massively-established part) and his New Adventures mates.

Yes, you could argue that his time has run his course, and I think you’d probably be right. I think he told the story that he wanted to tell in series one and two. But I fear that in the closing years of his tenure, and indeed for a while afterwards, there’s going to be this rewriting of history that says that he was a crap writer whose style did more harm to the show than good. Which simply isn’t true.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

> But who do you think will have brought Cornell and Moffat in in the first place? Cornell was a sometime-Casualty writer who?d done a few Who books. Moffat hadn?t really done anything since a lacklustre fourth series of Coupling, and certainly wasn?t at all known for drama.

Absolutely, RTD brought them on board and, as is the case with his input elsewhere, created opportunities for the show to really flourish. No doubting his input in that respect has been fantastic. But now I’d like to see the reigns taken by someone who can also write a top class mature script and is creatively stronger overall…and really build on the foundations RTD has laid down.

Andrew
    Participant

> Ugh, you would hope that Fear Her would prevent him from ever getting near the show again.

Well, I wouldn’t, but then I don’t hate that episode especially (in fact it has some moments – generally gaggy bits – that I genuinely love). Of course, I wasn’t suggesting the guy – just saying that, when the Beeb goes casting around for names, it’s bound to look to previous successes. And LoM fits that bill.

> Moffat hadn?t really done anything since a lacklustre fourth series of Coupling

Bit hard on Moffat, there – Coupling’s still-well-written last series notwithstanding, he’d created four shows, all showing brilliance in the writing, become a seriously well-connected figure industry-wise (meaning his unproduced stuff would also have been doing the rounds), penned Who prose…and picked up awards along the way.

Davies totally deserves praise for bringing the guy in, but one look at his work shows a keen eye for structure as well as comedy. You’d hope any showrunner worth his salt, especially a writer, would see it – beyond one series of Coupling.

It’s often an unimaginative industry, no question. Pigeonholing abounds. But every so often the creator of Queer as Folk gets to do a family SF show, an arthouse drama director gets to direct the next Bond movie, and the writer of farcical british sitcom gets to adapt Tintin for Spielberg and Jackson…

si
    Participant

Everyone’s been very serious here. So, being as I’ve mentioned it on every other webboard/forum I’ve visited today, I don’t see why this should be any different…

That TK Maxximus line was great.

pfm
    Participant

> the writer of farcical british sitcom gets to adapt Tintin for Spielberg and Jackson

It’s worth noting that this is surely a major reason why he WON’T be the next head honcho. He’s gonna be very busy with these 3 films for quite some time. I’d be very surprised to see a Moffat episode in series 5 even. Personally I think it’s gonna be Helen Raynor, even though I don’t want it to be.

Andrew
    Participant

Well to be fair it’s more likely that he’ll be the FIRST writer on Tintin. Spielberg goes through screenwriters like Kleenex.

pfm
    Participant

It’s already been said he’ll write the trilogy.

I’ve just watched Saturday’s episode on BBCiplayer and I thought it was fantastic, as was Tate’s performance.

The story was brilliant, the whole idea of having to kill all those people in order to save the world, and I have to agree with Andrew in saying that towards the end it almost made me shed a tear. The only thing that annoyed me was that all that frustration that built up between the Doctor and Donna in the TARDIS when they were escaping Pampaii was then lost when the Doctor went back to rescue the family. He should have left them to prove a point to Donna that you can’t do whatever you want when you’re traveling through time, even if it’s what you feel to be morally right.

As for the story arc, I can see a few emerging.

1) Rose, Der.
    2) “There’s something on your back”
    3) “We’re not married” (could be the subtleness that was promised)

Unfortunatly I haven’t spotted any Doctor Dwarf moments yet.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

No, it fucking was fucking not. It was shit and stupid, both in writing and delivery. The stupid leap of logic JUST to get to that line was beyond belief. “What do you do for fun? Do you hang around outside shops? Like TK Maximus?” FUCK OFF. That’s not dialogue. That’s just an incredibly shit joke that you’ve forced unsuccessfully into a conversation. I can’t believe that made it to the shooting script, let alone the final show.

Unfortunatly I haven?t spotted any Doctor Dwarf moments yet.

The whole thing reminds me of Series VII and VIII so far.

> The whole thing reminds me of Series VII and VIII so far.

Underrated?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Underrated?

That’s odd, cos I would say that Series VIII in particular is hugely OVER rated. I agree that the TK Maximus line was complete bullshit, too, but then whenever Donna makes a ‘joke’ it makes me die a little inside. Especially when she’s about to be sliced up by a cult. God, isn’t she so FEISTY? No, she’s a cunt.

Still, the character is improving, little by little.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Underrated?

Shite.

Andrew
    Participant

> It?s already been said he?ll write the trilogy.

Oh, gosh, gee-willikers, really? With all of two parts cast he’s definitely going to be tied to a blockbuster trilogy for two of the biggest beards in film? It’s been ANNOUNCED?! Well why didn’t you say!

With the best will in the world, just because a single writer’s been named as they go into PRE-production of a film, doesn’t mean…well, anything. Even for a single film. Much less a trilogy, And especially when Spielberg’s involved.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Shite.

LOL!11

It’s not often that I find myself sticking up for Doctor Who, but I’d reiterate that the second episode was a marked improvement on the first. Maybe my positive thoughts are due to the fact that I’ve found the show wildly inconsistent in terms of quality from week to week in the last three years. For example, Episode 2 was far better than the final 2 parts of the season three finale.

>With the best will in the world, just because a single writer?s been named as they go into PRE-production of a film, doesn?t mean?well, anything. Even for a single film. Much less a trilogy, And especially when Spielberg?s involved.

What he said.

Hopefully Tintin will go down like a lead balloon (I liked the nineties cartoon but really don’t see the point of a trilogy) and Moffatt can dedicate his entire career to Doctor Who and making me cream my pants again Blink-style.

Andrew
    Participant

> For example, Episode 2 was far better than the final 2 parts of the season three finale.

Ho yus!

I’d like to see Tintin go ahead and succeed – I was a big fan of the books growing up – but yeah, they don’t need Moffat on-site for five years to do it.

Phil
    Participant

The only experience with Tin Tin I have is through a Kenyan guy I used to room with. He kept a bunch of Tin Tin books in the bathroom because he said it helped to laugh when he was having a difficult poo.

ChrisM
    Participant

I read a bit of Tin-tin. I wasn’t into it as much as Asterix (I used to gobble those up one after the other from the school library), but it was an enjoyable enough read.

I’m not that keen on a screen version though, but I’m sure with the plotting etc, they’ve got plenty of material to do a good job of it.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

“You might have eyes on the back of your hands but you’ll have eyes in the back of your head when I’m done with you.”

That was really pitiful. Just doesn’t work. What was she inferring…that they would have to watch their backs? Or was it a corruption of “laughing on the other side of your face?” Or was it, as I expect, a nonsensical muddle of the two?

Urgh.

Dave
    Participant

It’s lines like T.K. Maximus that keep people like my mother watching.

The Capaldi speaking Celtic was much better achieved, but I doubt many people were texting “There’s tidy” to each other.

John Hoare
    Participant

I must admit, I didn’t even NOTICE the TK Maxximus line when I watched it!

Having looked on YouTube… it’s fine. Not hilarious, not stab-worthy. It doesn’t involve Catherine Tate doing one of her bloody voices, at least.

si
    Participant

No, it fucking was fucking not. It was shit and stupid, both in writing and delivery.

Calm down Symesy, you twat. You don’t agree, then?

Andrew
    Participant

Cute, funny line. Nothing wrong with it. It’s Donna trying to ingratiate herself with the girl – fine for context, fine for the joke, fine for the delivery.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

But it was completely shoe-horned in and didn’t make any sense! The joke wasn’t good enough to merit that.

John Hoare
    Participant

Surely the worst piece of dialogue yet in New Who is in The Parting of the Ways: “I think you need a Doctor…”

pfm
    Participant

“British writer Steven Moffat has been asked to write the scripts for Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson’s trilogy of Tintin.”

I’ve read elsewhere that they’re specifically adapting three classic Tintin stories, e.g. The Crab with the Golden Claws, The Calculus Affair.

Andrew
    Participant

> But it was completely shoe-horned in and didn?t make any sense!

I disagree.

> ?British writer Steven Moffat has been asked to write the scripts for Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson?s trilogy of Tintin.?

Not sure what that’s meant to prove. I know the reports, I just think you need to ignore reality to accept them at face value.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Ian is over-reacting and also smells.

pfm
    Participant

> Not sure what that?s meant to prove

Not at lot. I’m just convincing myself.

si
    Participant

I think the offending scene is reminiscent of Rose and Gwyneth’s scene in The Unquiet Dead.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Surely the worst piece of dialogue yet in New Who is in The Parting of the Ways: ?I think you need a Doctor??

Any piece of bad RTD dialogue, though, is made up for by “THIS IS NOT WAR. THIS IS PEST CONTROL.”

John Hoare
    Participant

I think the offending scene is reminiscent of Rose and Gwyneth?s scene in The Unquiet Dead.

True, although I don’t think it’s as well-written or performed.

But then, I don’t think we’ve had a better main companion in the new series than Rose, yet. (And whilst I’m open to the idea that Tate might grow on me as the series progresses, I doubt she’ll do it that much…)

John Hoare
    Participant

Any piece of bad RTD dialogue, though, is made up for by ?THIS IS NOT WAR. THIS IS PEST CONTROL.?

His ratio of good to bad dialogue is massively in his favour, obviously!

pfm
    Participant

I actually like ‘I think you need a Doctor’. I remember laughing with glee at the time. it’s a bit of a joyous moment, if slightly groanworthy!

si
    Participant

Very groanworthy.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

But joyous all the same.

John Hoare
    Participant

At another moment, I might not have minded it. But it’s *too* groanworthy for the dramatic climax of the series, I think.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

I had a whole theory about how “the Doctor” was a mythical title in the same way as “Bad Wolf”…and just how Rose was destined to defeat the Dalek army as “Bad Wolf”, “The Doctor” was destined to save her life afterwards.

I have since abandoned this idea and now proclaim the line to be a big bucket of cheesy balls.

pfm
    Participant

Maybe the lost outtake ‘I think you need a throbbing northern cock up that fine chavtastic arse of yours’ would have been a better choice after all.

John Hoare
    Participant

Actually, I take that back. The worst line so far in New Who is: “THE. LOCH. NESS. MONSTER!!!!!!!1111111”

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I still say the worst lines in the entire show’s run so far have been everything Peter Kay said during Love & Monsters. The episode has since grown on me but Peter Kay’s performance was brain-meltingly terrible.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

The worst line in New Who is Tennant saying “I ain’t afraid of no ghosts” in a Scooby Doo voice.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

We have a winner.

pfm
    Participant

No, the worst line EVER is in Voyage of the Damned. It’s when Foon won’t carry on, the Doctor says ‘it’s what he would want’ or whatever and she says ‘He doesn’t want anything! He’s DEEEAADD!!!’

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>?THE. LOCH. NESS. MONSTER!!!!!!!1111111?

I actually quite liked this. But then, I’ve got a lot more time for School Reunion in general than many people.

Ian is right, though. That bit would actually have worked if he just said “Who you gonna call?” But both Rose’s response, and the follow-up and gurning, completely destroy it. As does the music.

John Hoare
    Participant

Right. I have finally just watched the scene again for the first time since broadcast (I *still* haven’t got the DVD yet, but I’m currently making my way through Buffy, so won’t have time for it for a long time) – and… I still love it. And I never even noticed the music on the original broadcast because I was too busy laughing, but it makes me love it even more. It’s just so deliberately silly, and I’m a sucker for things like that. Clearly, I’m beyond redemption.

(To be fair, it’s mainly the Doctor I like there. Rose’s “Ghostbusters!” isn’t that great, although I’m generally too busy laughing at the first bit for it to register.)

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>I?m currently making my way through Buffy

This is a good thing

>because I was too busy laughing

This is not a good thing

pfm
    Participant

I honestly don’t know why people whinge so much about more recent episodes when you consider what crap was served up in series 2, as that clip exemplifies. Aside from the Dalek ending Army of Ghosts has redeeming features totalling zero. As if having to stand Camille Coduri’s ‘acting’ wasn’t bad enough, here we get Tracy-Ann Doberman competing with Cindy-from-Eastenders and Roger Lur-Pack for the title of Worst Guest-Star Ever.

Nice to see Martha in the clip too, sorry, I mean Areola.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Very good this week. Tim McInnerrerrerry was good, Tate did her best stuff so far…

Nice idea with the Ood brains, even if it didn’t make much sense.

But most exciting bit? The Doctor’s song is soon to end…

Last season for Tennant, then?

*EDIT* Oooh, and the reference to The Sensorites made me explode in a shower of sticky geeky delight.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Just had to share this with you all…a comment from imdb message board about tonight’s episode. Who needs punctuation?

“Brill gd episode an more about the missing bees maybe davros is up to his tricks with bees or epiode 7 will tell more the dr song will end regenaration again or in nxt few yrs i’d love to c tennent stay an bet tom bakers 7yr run can’t wait till txt wk”

On the other hand, someone came up with an excellent observation – that Donna’s Grandfather “Wilfred Mott” is an anagram of “WTF Timelord”

ChrisM
    Participant

I liked it.

The brain set up didn’t make a whole lot of sense, but it can be explained by the sheer alieness of the ood which is no bad thing.

The guy turning into an Ood after drinking a spiked drink was implausible and kinda silly, but cool gross out fun. I particularly enjoyed it when he coughed up his own brain! Does that make my brain wrong?

pfm
    Participant

It was censored too. Hopefully the normal cut will be on the DVD.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Hmmm. OK. Not as good as last week, better than week one. Far too much running around and Tim McInnerny turning into an Ood was signposted a little too overtly.

Enjoyable, but forgettable.

Ridley
    Participant

Was better than the last Ood one I thought. Captain Darling’s Ood tonic was a bit much mind.

Andrew
    Participant

> It was censored too. Hopefully the normal cut will be on the DVD.

Are you sure it was censored? As opposed to toned down by the production themselves, I mean? Because I’d be willing to be it was delivered that way.

It was certainly conspicuous in its avoidance of violence during the bulk of the ep – loads of bullets fired, but we never saw and Ood get hit. But that seemed to be a way of ‘saving up’ goodwill for the final transformation which, though still kept brief, was a genuinely nasty bit of body horror. Seemed about as extreme as would be possible for the timeslot and audience – and a likely candidate for a 12 on DVD. Had the bullet hits been in there t6wo this would have felt like one of the violent Who eps ever.

> Was better than the last Ood one I thought.

Very surprised by this. It’s hard to top The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit for me – that story was absolutely top-drawer.

I preferred last week’s, but this was still a great time in front of the TV. Not sure I buy that the Ood come from an ice planet (they don’t seem especially built for the cold), but then I’m not keen on life-supporting planets in fiction being entirely defined by a single environment anyway. Otherwise, loads of fun – it was snappily directed,Tennant and Tate were good…the memory of Partners in Crime is being washed away.

John Hoare
    Participant

Yes, that shot of the skin peeling away especially was VERY explict! I bet there was discussion amongst the production team as to whether to go that far. (A million times worse surely than the much-debated skull cracking sound in The Empty Child – actually on the DVD version, but not the broadcast…)

It was alright once it got going – not as good as Fires of Pompeii, but a million miles better than Partners in Crime. Tate was OK once she got past her usual Tate-ism at the start (but I wish she’d stop calling the Doctor ‘Spaceman’, because it’s really irritating) – but I’m looking forward to Martha next week, which is a companion I actively like, rather than just tolerate.

The massive brain was pretty bad CGI. I wish they’d done it as a live action model, and then composited everything in, although I suppose it’s all down to cost. (Yet again with Who trying to achieve a bit too much on its effects budget.)

It all *really* reminded me of a Troughton story, anyway, which was nice. Particuarly The Invasion. But I think, if it wasn’t for the transformation scene, and the “Doctor’s song may soon end” stuff, I’d be tempted to call it slightly dull. Certainly, I think I came away from the episode thinking better of it than it perhaps deserved, purely because of those two scenes near the end.

They’ve done FAR too many of those “final scenes that hint out of nowhere something bad is going to happen”, mind you, but the fact it was specifically targeted to the Doctor for once gives it an added thrill. But after this series, they *really* need to lay off them for a while.

Nice handcuffs bicycle joke, though!

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Thought the Ood transformation scene could’ve done with some gagging / choking / squelchy sound effects as the tentacles erupted from his gob. I did like that shot.

Ooh, and it struck me that the Ood are the closest thing to a live-action Zoidberg.

Andrew
    Participant

> I wish she?d stop calling the Doctor ?Spaceman?

I have zero problem with this at all. Appropriate, character specific. ‘Tis fine!

> The massive brain was pretty bad CGI.

I didn’t think that at all. The absorption wasn’t great, but the brain itself was okay. ‘Obviously CGI’ I guess…but ‘obviously animatronic miniature’ wouldn’t have been a great deal better.

> I?d be tempted to call it slightly dull.

It had a less frantic pace than Pompeii, but I quite liked that. Clear movement towards discovery, seeing all the angles of a situation. As you said, it was old school Who in many ways. I found it substantial without being frenetic. (Though I did enjoy the giant arcade grabber!)

ChrisM
    Participant

Not sure I buy that the Ood come from an ice planet (they don?t seem especially built for the cold)

I know what you mean, I think it’s the tentacles. They make us associate them with creatures like squid, essentially cold blooded. (Actually giant squid can dive very deep, which suggests they have a tolerance for the cold too although I don’t know how that works…)

I’m sure that’s just a outward similarity though, the Ood are alien and probably don’t fit into the various species types (mammal, reptile, fish, amphibian etc) we have.

pfm
    Participant

I thought it was a pretty boring, uninspiring script this time. Though still executed in an acceptable fashion. I hated the overblown sequence with the claw because it was beyond obvious that someone said ‘let’s have an overblown sequence with a huge claw!!’ to make up for the lack of action.

Humans of the future really are bastards, aren’t they?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

What I liked is the complete lack of redemption for the PR woman. I was expecting her to join the adventure and help the Doctor and Donna but… she didn’t. And then she was killed. Excellent.

ChrisM
    Participant

What I liked is the complete lack of redemption for the PR woman. I was expecting her to join the adventure and help the Doctor and Donna but? she didn?t. And then she was killed. Excellent.

YES! I expected that too. She did show signs of conscience after all, and it would have been pretty easy to take her down the accomplice route. How many times have we seen that before? And to be fair if they had done that, that would have still been interesting.

It was great they chose not to follow that cliche too. And somewhat realistic. Often in real life people will turn a blind eye on things that they know are suspect. And those people aren’t particularly wicked themselves, they just go with the flow.

Al
    Participant

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7240456.stm

Intriguing. When is who gonna stop foreshadowing things with the subtlety of a shotgun blast to the bollocks though?

Al
    Participant

Actually, this is the right link.

FAIL.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7358098.stm

si
    Participant

Actually, somewhat unusually for me, I found this episode rather uninteresting (I wasn’t gripped by Gridlock last year either, but I put that down to having a large epileptic fit that afternoon).
    It was alright, but that was all. Nothing too exciting – though I agree about the death of the PR girl – she deserved it!

Sorry, though. Overall, it didn’t really do anything for me. The CG brain was like the Nestene Conciousness (ie not very good), and the moral of the story – Slavery is bad! Don’t do it! – was written all over the episode in a big black indelible pen.

(And I said that about the similarity between the Ood and Zoidberg two years ago. Nyeh. :-P)

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Yep, this season is definitely about questionable morals.

si
    Participant

So this week’s wasn’t as good as usual – but I’ve just seen a trailer for next week’s episode, and it looks absolutely brilliant!

Andrew
    Participant

> So this week?s wasn?t as good as usual

See I’d say it absolutely was. Ep one – far worse than usual; ep two – much better than usual; ep 3 – as good as usual.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

I’d say episode 1 – worse, episode 2 average, episode 3 – far better.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Don’t the Sontarans sound excellent? I think the voice is spot on.

“GLORIOUS WAR!”

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

It did my heart good to overhear a bunch of kids discussing Doctor Who on the bus this morning.

“Yeah, man…you need to wait to see the ‘coming next week’ bit. This week’s has those weird shrinky guys with the Judoon helmets”.

Al
    Participant

Anyone notice that Dave Hedgehog/ Mike from the Young Ones is the lead Sontaran?

si
    Participant

Yes.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Uh huh

Ben Paddon
    Participant

*deep breath*

OOOOOOOLLLLLLLD.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Ah, was rather good. The Sontarans weren’t great….but this series is feeling the most like old school Doctor Who than the previous 3.

Why didn’t they just smash the window of the car?

John Hoare
    Participant

Lots of fun. I especially enjoyed the pathetic explosion of Atmos, but there was a huge amount to enjoy all-round. And I thought the Sontarans were brilliant – fantastic prosthetics that really allows the actors to get across proper expressions, and highly amusing into the bargain.

You can easily make the argument that Donna is a far more interesting character than Martha, but Freema just lit up the screen for me this week. And I did my usual “FUCK OFF TATE” during the scene where Donna tells the Doctor she’s leaving. The second part of the episode was a massive improvement on the first for me, as much as for the lack of Tate as anything else.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

My ladyfriend yelled “YES! FUCK OFF!” at the telly when it seemed Donna was to depart. Nicely.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Interestingly though….I do like donna’s family. Far more so than Roses or Marthas.

Andrew
    Participant

Not getting much of a glow from Martha, sadly. I think I’ve ended up disappointed in the actress, as well as the development of her character (not far enough during Who 3, with big lurches before Torchwood). It may not be to everyone’s taste, but at least Tate’s presence is alive and vibrant.

Bah, anyway, small potatoes – a good fun episode this week. A Stontaran invasion – front on, straightforward – suits Raynor’s writing in a way the Daleks didn’t. (Though this was also a better directed show than Manhattan.) Arguably less iconic than that story – a factory setting, and the genius school was under-developed – but the whole thing seemed a lot crisper. I was entertained.

Not as good as the last two, both of which I liked massively, but aside from the opening ep I’m having a great time with series four.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Awww, I liked Daleks in Manhattan. My favouritest Dalek story of the new series so far.

ChrisM
    Participant

Great episode!

I’m glad they gave an explanation as to why the other stuff wasn’t initially detected in the Doctor’s examination of the Atmos, thingy. I thought they might just leave that as a magical thing that just happens. I liked the whole Sontaran gadgets hidden in temmporal pocket thing, but I didn’t like the way Doctor found it out. I don’t mind the sonic screwdriver like many do (in fact I think it’s pretty cool, although I agree it’s used to much.)Using it as a scanning device didn’t make much sense. Sure sound can be used for echo location etc, but where would the readout be?

Sontarans looked great. Genius kid was annoying, but intentionally so, so fair enough. No doubt he’ll get his come-upance.

As for when Donna told the Doctor “I’m going home.” my reaction was “here we go again…” She keeps saying that each episode so far then changes her mind… but then they switched it round on me and turned it into a gag. I.e. doctor makes a long corny speech (that whole “You really saved me.” seemed a bit of an exaggeration though.) and then… “oh right just to visit.” Heh heh!

As for Freyma, I haven’t thought she was particularly good an actress (although I like the character) but I thought she was pretty good in this. The idea that a new doctor is suddenly commanding lots of Unit troops at the start was a bit much though.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>I do like donna?s family. Far more so than Roses or Marthas.

Well, I find the Mum annoying; but let’s face it, by “Donna’s family”, we mean Bernard Cribbins. Who is great. He’s completely making up for Daleks Invasion Earth 2150AD with his performances in this series…

pfm
    Participant

> Why didn?t they just smash the window of the car?

To get a stupidly contrived cliffhanger. Surely this was the worst cliffhanger in new Who so far. It reminded me of some of the worse classic series cliffhangers where people just shout and there’s random smoke or something just because it’s the end of the episode!

Like with the Ood episode I nearly fell asleep watching this. They’re not doing enough to make me want to give a shit. The Sontarans were handled well but the script was lame. Tennant also seems bored, on Doctor autopilot.

Ridley
    Participant

I liked the episode, just didn’t really like the opening and cliffhanger for having stupid moments from people who should know better – to smash a window and the… journalist was she? who should have decided to walk home – and the acting from those two soldiers before they got hypnotised.

Don’t know how but I’d like to see that 18 year old genius as a recurring villain.

ChrisM
    Participant

journalist was she?

I think she was a Unit operative. That was a bit dodgy actually, one minute she is complaining about Atmos, then she’s not only driving with it in her car but she is actually following the instructions. True, it could take control of the car, but she didn’t know that at that point, only that it would cause deaths.

I thought that loophole programming that the Doctor used to escape was a bit silly too. I.e. if you had a device that took control of someones vehicle and killed them, surely you would program it to ignor what the person did/said altogether rather than doing the opposite of what they asked. I.e. “Drive into the river!”, oh wait, must ignore command… yeah right.

True he had to escape somehow, but I think they could have perhaps come up with something else from that.

I did like the exploding box gag though. (It wouldn’t have happened – if an algorithm ends up in a continuous loop or faced with conflicting orders, they tend to just crash or do nothing, but there usually isn’t any actual damage. This is an amusing gag sci-fi relies on though… so not a biggie..)

Both small things though, and overall I thought the episode was really good.

Andrew
    Participant

> That was a bit dodgy actually, one minute she is complaining about Atmos, then she?s not only driving with it in her car but she is actually following the instructions.

There was a hint at an under-developed idea – that the Atmos device is in ALL government vehicles. Which makes total sense – a party looking to get re-elected would want the appearance of being pro-green; not having the device on all vehicles would garner a lot of negative press, smacking of hypocrisy.

Regardless, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to not suspect that your sat-nav is trying to kill you…

ChrisM
    Participant

>Regardless, I don?t think it?s unreasonable to not suspect that your sat-nav is >trying to kill you?

I was thinking that was her point in going to the college in the first case though, to complain that several Atmos devices had caused deaths…

… but then I remembered, the earlier deaths were caused by the poison gas weren’t they… i.e. not the sat-nav part of the system. So yeah, on further reflection you’re right about the sat-nav.

You’d still think Unit would have removed the devices when they became suspicious though, or use vehicles without it installed. Unit are mostly a secret organisation after all regardless of their connection to the main government.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

It annoyed me how they made a point of saying that UNIT is now the “Unified Intelligence Taskforce”.

I know they’re not allowed to say “United Nations” any more…but was there any need to mention the new name?

Andrew
    Participant

> I know they?re not allowed to say ?United Nations? any more?but was there any need to mention the new name?

I was actually a little irked at how LITTLE they explained about UNIT. As a new kid coming in, it must be pretty confusing – the UNIT references have all been pretty small in he new series, never clearly explained. Where was the “Oh, me and these guys go way back” scene? Half the kids watching probably think they’re Torchwood…

The stating of the acronym, frankly, is the absolute minimum they should have done!

si
    Participant

Not getting much of a glow from Martha, sadly. I think I?ve ended up disappointed in the actress

Don’t you let my dad hear you say that, he adores Freema Agyeman. Mind you, he never goes anywhere near a computer, so I think you’re probably pretty safe.

Awww, I liked Daleks in Manhattan. My favouritest Dalek story of the new series so far.

I, on the other hand, wasn’t so keen. A fine example of the overuse of the Daleks in new Who.

Anyway, to this week – miles better than last week(However, I am saddened that my two younger brothers, Chris (13 – he had a drawing of K9 on Totally Doctor Who a couple of years ago and won a mug!) and Tom (18) have lost interest in the show. Mind you, I do tend to shove Doctor Who – in all it’s glorious forms – down their throats a bit. I was sat watching Horror of Fang Rock the other day, much to their chagrin..). The Sontarans look great, and generally I thought the gags – the naff explosion, and Donna’s ‘I’m going home’ riff – worked well, although the flashbacks during Donna’s overlong stroll up the road were just superfluous to events, and dragged. The second part’s been nicely set up, though, and I’m looking forward to next week.

pfm
    Participant

I think the problem with the flashbacks is that they were from, at the most, three weeks ago. And it’s not as though she’d had no adventures before PiC.

Watched it a second time and didn’t think it was all that bad. Christopher Ryan was bloody brilliant as General Staal, with the makeup, prosthetics and costume being easily some of the best in Who so far (certainly bodes well for he-of-the-shopmobility). Tennant’s still on autopilot though. But he was going through a lot of shit making this series so perhaps he’s excused for that.

It was way better than the Daleks 2-parter at any rate. Words can’t describe how much I hated Tallulah-three-‘l’s-and-a-fucking-ache and the utter bollocks of the Daleks’ great big genetics lab. Even though Rattigan seems like another crappily conceived guest character there’s still hope in the second part.

Viewing 100 posts - 101 through 200 (of 361 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.