Profile Topics Started Replies Created Engagements Forum Replies Created Viewing 35 replies - 301 through 335 (of 335 total) 1 2 3 … 5 6 7 Author Replies June 13, 2009 at 9:20 pm in reply to: David Black… #100061 Ben KirkhamParticipant Yep, never ceases to amaze me. Which school were you at in Stoke? I live in Stoke, I may know of it. June 13, 2009 at 7:14 pm in reply to: David Black… #100049 Ben KirkhamParticipant > Alsager Comprehensive? *Ben Kirkham feels a cold shudder* Erm, yes actually. 1996-2001. I take it you’re a veteran too? June 13, 2009 at 7:05 pm in reply to: New BBC studio sitcom to feature Cunt #100048 Ben KirkhamParticipant > Oh and they like Star Wars and Japanese stuff (and, presumably, Tintin). Therefore they must be the greatest most untouchable gods alive, right? Haha, yes that’s very much the case! Seriously, though, even though this has Iain Lee in it, it may be fantastic. The Inbetweeners is a great show and Peep Show is incredible (Peep Show’s script editor co-created The Inbetweeners), so there’s no reason to doubt that this won’t be. And the announcement of Karen Gillan as the new companion is terrific. Two virtual unknowns leading one of the most successful shows on TV! She’s beautiful, too, which always helps these things. I’ve got a few Doctor Who stickers on my fridge. It’s a geeks fridge. One of them is an image of Karen Gillan as a soothsayer from ‘The Fires of Pompeii’! Who knew, eh? She’s been stuck to my fridge all this time… June 12, 2009 at 9:32 pm in reply to: Rather Exciting Tweet #99993 Ben KirkhamParticipant Alien Resurrection is okay in a sort of ‘hack your own arm off with a meat cleaver whilst drooling at a vacuous TV screen’ sort of way, I suppose. As for Red Dwarf, they HAVE to do another series after this. ‘Back To Earth’ opened the series up again for new possibilities, so it’d be interesting to see where it goes from here, once little logistical things like… ahem… Craig just happening to be in Coronation Street get sorted out. June 12, 2009 at 9:16 pm in reply to: David Black… #99992 Ben KirkhamParticipant David Black is the name of my old head teacher at secondary school! If this is whom you are referring to, I strongly disagree with the comment. STRONGLY June 12, 2009 at 8:58 pm in reply to: New BBC studio sitcom to feature Cunt #99990 Ben KirkhamParticipant Iain Lee? Ugh. I like Adam and Joe, though (they’re big Withnail & I fans, they’re friends with Louis Theroux. Oh, and they can be quite funny). The best news on this page was ‘Peter Sissons announces retirement.’ June 11, 2009 at 6:31 pm in reply to: Who gets theirs first? #99923 Ben KirkhamParticipant According to Amazon: Items dispatched on 11 Jun 2009 But it’s via Royal Mail, not City Link sadly, so probably Saturday! And I have the new Blackadder boxset on Monday/Tuesday as well! Happy days! June 11, 2009 at 10:29 am in reply to: I’m as exciting as a veryexcited man who’s just invented a new pair of exploding trousers! #99902 Ben KirkhamParticipant > Monty Python spring to mind, trying to overlap the paired commentaries and make it look like they?re in the same session. The Doctor Who commentaries have not been averse to that also. Both ‘Pyramids of Mars’ and ‘The Hand of Fear’ have done the same due to availability. It worked quite well with ‘The Hand of Fear’ commentary. >One interesting thing – the film inserts for The Black Adder survive. All of them. And there?s a hell of a lot of film sequences in that series. If all of those are retransferred on modern telecine equipment – like they do for the classic Who releases, if the inserts survive – then the first series will look fucking gorgeous. True, the best Who release to get beautifully remastered film sequences is ‘Earthshock.’ The colours are sharper and the whole thing stands out. June 9, 2009 at 10:53 pm in reply to: I’m as exciting as a veryexcited man who’s just invented a new pair of exploding trousers! #99783 Ben KirkhamParticipant > The lack of pilot still rankles. Indeed, that still pisses me off. Even though I’ve watched it on YouTube, to have it on DVD would be excellent. What a strange piece of work. Sort of a bizarre hybrid between ‘The Black Adder’ and ‘Blackadder II.’ Only less funny, I think. I believe a section of the pilot is in the Blackadder Rides Again documentary, which is okay, but what’s wrong with the full episode? This isn’t Red Dwarf USA, is it? > For every Bodysnatcher Boxset and ?Trial of a Time Lord? we get a Quantum Leap Season (which added an episode of Season 5 onto Season 4 as an extra) and an Only Fools and Horses release (complete with cuts!) The Quantum Leap sets are a bitter disappointment. Still, at least we don’t quite suffer the music edits (Season 4 aside) that Region 1 do. As for Only Fools & Horses, well, what happened to them on DVD redefines the word ‘travesty.’ Particularly in relation to what happened to ‘A Royal Flush.’ May 23, 2009 at 9:34 pm in reply to: John Hoare #99136 Ben KirkhamParticipant Happy Birthday, John! April 16, 2009 at 11:00 am in reply to: Alien 3 #97025 Ben KirkhamParticipant > I think Alien 3 pissed me off from the start by immediately killing off Newt, Hicks and Bishop.< Yeah, that was something of a shock but actually I was quite pleased about it. It was a different feel, and since the end of the second film you thought they were all going to be fine – Ripley had found her ‘family.’ > Have reappraised it in recent years. I do like it much more, especially the special edition – though it?s annoying that they didn?t tidy up the sound in the re-inserted scenes.< I think the DVD booklet mentions something about this: “In the end, some of the production audio could not be repaired, and there are certain points where the dialogue does not match or is difficult to hear. Using the best of today’s technology, this extended version has been restored to the highest quality possible.” I suppose it’s a bit like The Wicker Man Director’s Cut, though that suffers from a drop in picture quality as apposed to sound. But in that case, it improves what is already a superb film. >It?s still a pretty bloody depressing film, though. The Alien effects are horrible?and overall it feels like Scum in Space, guest starring the Alien.< It is the most depressing, certainly. Death of a child, locked away with rapists and murderers, alien on the loose, alien growing inside you. Ripley’s had better days at the office! And the alien effects are the most disappointing, particularly after Aliens had gone all out to show us an alien queen so well. That said, I do like that it’s a lone alien, think that works much better. >It is definitely the end of the trilogy, I enjoy Resurrection a bit but fuck it in it?s stupid pointless face. Yeah, you can’t bring a character who has died so brilliantly back from the dead and then claim that the trilogy isn’t over. I also love the echoes of sound from Alien at the end: “Ripley, last surviving crewmember of the Nostromo.” April 16, 2009 at 10:59 am in reply to: Alien 3 #97036 Ben KirkhamParticipant >It is, categorically, not a director?s cut. Fincher had nothing to do with its release or inclusion on the DVD. I think it’s a real shame that Fincher decided not to take part in the DVD at all. Totally understandable, of course. Considering the troubled production (probably THE most troubled production of a film that I’ve ever heard of) I think he did an extremely impressive job. April 15, 2009 at 11:13 pm in reply to: Alien 3 #96961 Ben KirkhamParticipant > I take it from this that you?ve not watched the Quadrilogy?s superb Director?s Cut of Alien 3 then? No, I’d forgotten about that. This is such a mammoth set that I want to watch all the theatrical versions first before watching the special editions, but I’m happy Golic features more heavily. In fact, I noticed that the Special Edition of Alien is actually shorter than the original, which is interesting. Frankly, the first film was so brilliant I can’t see where or why you’d want to tamper with it, but I’m interested in seeing Scott’s choices. April 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm in reply to: Alien 3 #96951 Ben KirkhamParticipant I watched 25 minutes of Resurrection and decided to leave it until I’m in the mood. It didn’t seem very interesting to me. I just think maybe it’s a step too far. In making that, it renders Ripley’s sacrifice at the end of Alien 3 rather pointless. She dies to kill the queen alien inside her, but it’s all for nothing, because they bring her back and just carry on with a clone as though it never happened. > My big problem with Alien3 is the distinct lack of a single likeable character. I quite liked Charles Dance’s character, but he got killed off just when you started to like him! And Ripley has gone a bit nuts by this point. > I especially liked Paul McGann calling the Alien a dragon. Paul McGann is great in anything he does, he needs to be given a multiple Doctor appearance in Doctor Who (please, Mr Moffat?). I do think they could have used McGann more in Alien 3, actually. November 27, 2008 at 11:50 am in reply to: Future Uncertain for 2|Entertain #87151 Ben KirkhamParticipant Thank you. TBH, the Woolworths situation doesn’t surprise me. I work for Tesco (sadly) and I’ve recently seen exactly how badly Woolworths have been doing. A shame, really, because they used to be the best around. September 23, 2008 at 2:50 pm in reply to: The Doctor Who Fan Phrasebook #84781 Ben KirkhamParticipant Phrase: deleted Meaning: I have just said something ridiculous and I cannot bear going back on the forum for fear of being hit by small rocks. I shall, therefore, change my name and get in a hissyfit all over again and repeat this cycle until someone notices me. September 7, 2008 at 8:27 pm in reply to: Absolutely #84113 Ben KirkhamParticipant “…which leads to STONEYBRIDGE!” My dad always remembers that bit. Have watched most of series 1 now. I love it. Imaginative, colourful, unpretentious, joyous fun! A favourite so far, off the top of my head, the hospital sketch with John Sparkes, Morwenna Banks and “the foot.” I’m paraphrasing. Banks: He was quite keen on body building. Sparkes: Well that’ll certainly come in useful now. The first Callum Gilhooley sketch is brilliant. It’s just Hunter and Docherty at their best. Docherty’s talking to camera has me in hysterics. I could talk about this for hours it’s so good. But I won’t, because I don’t want this to become an Amazon review. September 4, 2008 at 1:30 pm in reply to: Absolutely #83990 Ben KirkhamParticipant Thanks. I’ve just seen a clip of the job interview on the ‘net, it’s brilliant. I think this is a winner. Though it was John eloquently saying ‘But It, You Fuckers, Buy It, Buy It Now’ which is what sold it for me, really. September 3, 2008 at 7:35 pm in reply to: Iain Lee is a fucking cunt #83969 Ben KirkhamParticipant Iain Lee is a boring, talentless hack who has never made me laugh. He just hangs on for a bit of fame. Chris Moyles is also blessed with cuntishness. Iain, do us a favour, spell your forename (THAT’S YOUR FIRST NAME) correctly and pick a surname that is actually a surname, then type that into Google because it’d be a FUCK of a lot more interesting. Cunt (Iain Lee). April 30, 2008 at 12:18 am in reply to: Goodbye To Love #123027 Ben KirkhamParticipant > you?ve been a great ?inside man? for years If rumours are to be believed… :-) April 29, 2008 at 9:16 pm in reply to: Goodbye To Love #123020 Ben KirkhamParticipant Andrew, I’m saddened to hear that news, you’ve been a great ‘inside man’ for years and you’ve done a terrific job with the DVD’s, and have re-ignited my interest in the show. But it’s great to hear that you’re striking out on your own, and I wish you the best of luck! Don’t lose touch! April 25, 2008 at 7:59 pm in reply to: Blake’s 7 is coming back! #122868 Ben KirkhamParticipant Fair point, there. BSG is a worthy remake. But The Prisoner was such a classic, I don’t know if you could do it as well. It was so much Patrick MacGoohan’s baby. Likewise, the attempts at re-launching the Twilight Zone have all failed because the original series was Rod Serling’s own vision. April 25, 2008 at 7:41 pm in reply to: Being Human #122865 Ben KirkhamParticipant >What?s wrong with Being Human? I wouldn’t know. I’m not. April 25, 2008 at 7:31 pm in reply to: Blake’s 7 is coming back! #122864 Ben KirkhamParticipant Re: The Prisoner, I looked up on this today. The project has been abandoned by Sky, as they thought that it was in danger of becoming too ‘Americanised.’ ITV have picked up the idea and are currently filming in Libya with American actor Jim Caviazel. But apparently it’s going to be very British. Mmmm. Can you really re-make classic television well? June 1, 2007 at 7:32 am in reply to: Channel 27 threatens to drop Androids #123642 Ben KirkhamParticipant No, only about as much time as the Sun spends getting its “facts” straight. :-) May 31, 2007 at 7:23 pm in reply to: Channel 27 threatens to drop Androids #123589 Ben KirkhamParticipant A new headline from the ever-reliable Sun: SHOCK HORROR SHOCK SENSATION SHOCK: ANDROIDS in computer VIRUS story! IN the latest bid to REGAIN viewers for the TROUBLED soap opera Androids, a mass CAST CULLING is planned for Christmas. Over 30 CHARACTERS are reported to PERISH when a metal eating VIRUS invades. A highly-trusted and totally real SOURCE told us: “It’s SHOCKING! The producers have decided that the way to GRAB the viewers’ attention is to bring in more SEX, more OTRAZONE addiction and more DIVERSE robots! But first this lot have to go! It’s going to be UNMISSABLE viewing!” A spokesman for the show refused to comment. May 31, 2007 at 7:13 pm in reply to: So…Only Fools and Horses… #123639 Ben KirkhamParticipant I have quite a broad taste in comedy. I love the jet black comedy of Nighty Night and Human Remains, and completely adore all of Blackadder (the best sitcom ever with RD second IMHO). But madcap stuff like Monty Python is also gold. It’s all really a matter of taste. I know somebody that claims to hate comedy. He is either a) lying or b) mentally absent. “DON’T VOTE SAXON!” April 30, 2007 at 9:49 am in reply to: Doctor Who #123253 Ben KirkhamParticipant Arlene, if you really start to love the new series (they’re excellent), then maybe you might want to give the classic series a go. I can suggest one quality story from each Doctor now out on DVD. William Hartnell – The Aztecs Patrick Troughton – The Mind Robber Jon Pertwee – Inferno Tom Baker – (tough one, there’s a lot of classics, here) City of Death Peter Davison – The Caves of Androzani Colin Baker – Revelation of the Daleks Sylvester McCoy – The Curse of Fenric Paul McGann – The TV Movie (it’s not brilliant but McGann is) Also, I’d suggest The Empty Child for more Christopher Eccleston as Seb says, also Dalek. Check out Tooth and Claw and The Girl in the Fireplace for David Tennant. Hope this is useful. April 19, 2007 at 7:14 pm in reply to: Doctor Who #123467 Ben KirkhamParticipant A Whoket, I love that! Un/fortunately, I don’t have an encyclopaedic knowledge of Red Dwarf… yet. April 17, 2007 at 10:14 pm in reply to: Doctor Who #123433 Ben KirkhamParticipant > Anyway, it said ?Doctor Who? in classic episodes. Hartnell to Tom Baker were ‘Doctor Who’ and Davison to McCoy (and McGann in the TV Movie, I think) were ‘The Doctor.’ April 14, 2007 at 2:25 pm in reply to: Doctor Who #123337 Ben KirkhamParticipant A brilliant review that just *nails* everything about the episode. April 11, 2007 at 4:49 pm in reply to: Doctor Who #123376 Ben KirkhamParticipant > (See also: ?I think you need a Doctor??) I thought it was cheesy but thank God for Christopher Eccleston (the unwilling), who delivered it in the best possible way he could. I bet he nearly keeled over when he read that one… April 11, 2007 at 1:12 pm in reply to: Doctor Who #123316 Ben KirkhamParticipant > “The only post I bothered reading here was Ben?s, this was because he has Paul McGann as his avatar and is from Stoke, thus he is vastly superior to you all.” Well, *blushes*, thank you. But substitute ‘superior’ for anally retentive Doctor Who fan! As for McGann, his avatar works best and he is a brilliant, brilliant Doctor. Especially in the audios. > “But I have a potato in a fish bowl??anyone??” I love potatoes and fish bowls! April 10, 2007 at 8:08 pm in reply to: *Remastered DVD Speculation Thread* #123266 Ben KirkhamParticipant >”Footage of Chloe Annett?s foaming twat.” Remastered, of course. April 4, 2007 at 10:00 pm in reply to: Doctor Who #123237 Ben KirkhamParticipant Love and Monsters was carrying on a long Doctor Who tradition to try something different. I loved it. As for Smith and Jones, I loved that too. I was worried about the new series after Army of Ghosts. I thought it seemed as though it had let the effects and spectacle take over a bit. The Runaway Bride was fun but disposable. Martha seems like a much better companion than Rose. I liked Rose, but Martha is much more switched on, very intelligent, sexy, and seems to fit so well with the tenth Doctor. In fact, Martha reminded me of some of the best companions from the classic series but updated. Certain companions work better with some Doctors than others (like Adric and the fourth Doctor). David Tennant was also absolutely terrific, his best performance yet. I’ve always loved him, but here he just seemed to nail everything so well. All of his humour and energy was perfectly in tune with the script. The script itself was a clever little piece by Russell T Davies, and Martha’s family seem loaded with possibilities for storylines. Anyone who has followed the development of this current series will know that it is going to be brilliant. A breath of wonderful fresh air, frankly. Author Replies Viewing 35 replies - 301 through 335 (of 335 total) 1 2 3 … 5 6 7