Profile Topics Started Replies Created Engagements Forum Replies Created Viewing 50 replies - 101 through 150 (of 335 total) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Author Replies August 23, 2018 at 5:36 pm in reply to: New comedy set in space starring Huge Laurie and written by Armando Iannucci #236396 Ben KirkhamParticipant Haha Huge Lorry fnar fnar!! Ahem. This does sound quite surprising to me. I’d never have though Iannucci would be interested in writing a space sitcom. Intriguing. August 16, 2018 at 3:36 pm in reply to: DVD Details Articles #236168 Ben KirkhamParticipant We are *so* lucky with the DVDs, aren’t we? Bloody hell. That mock-up cover above makes my skin crawl at the thought of what could have been. August 16, 2018 at 3:26 pm in reply to: DVD Details Articles #236167 Ben KirkhamParticipant Ben Paddon- courtesy of a gentleman named Matthew Purchase https://goo.gl/images/m94S8i August 15, 2018 at 10:38 pm in reply to: DVD Details Articles #236124 Ben KirkhamParticipant How things change. Ross McGinley was in charge of the BBC DVD range back then, I believe, and it was a golden age for BBC DVDs. The League of Gentlemen DVDs (especially the Christmas Special) were exemplary. When the latest series was released, it was a vanilla release with no thought put into it. Just seems so slapdash and sloppy now, even down to the point of the Doctor Who Series 10 boxset not giving any indication whatsoever of what is on each disc, and fans having to create their own leaflet. Very sad. What shines through from these articles is the craftsmanship and sheer enthusiasm for the project, particularly from Andrew Ellard, whose articles are entertaining and informative. August 15, 2018 at 12:05 pm in reply to: DVD Details Articles #236078 Ben KirkhamParticipant Excellent, thank you! September 7, 2017 at 7:47 pm in reply to: Sonic Mania #221086 Ben KirkhamParticipant Aaargh! My PS3 Controller doesn’t work when I hook it up to the PC (downloaded all the appropriate software)! I can’t keep using the keyboard, it just isn’t the same. Any help/ideas guys? September 4, 2017 at 10:54 pm in reply to: Sonic Mania #221039 Ben KirkhamParticipant Yes Dave, I’d love to see a remixed Scrap Brain Zone in a sequel. I’m desperately trying to find a way for Sonic Mania to fit into Red Dwarf so I can justify asking Cappsy or Ian to do a playthrough? Well, technically Sonic is a BLUE dwarf so… September 4, 2017 at 9:59 am in reply to: Sonic Mania #221026 Ben KirkhamParticipant I’m incredibly frustrated that, at the age of 32, I am nowhere near as good at playing classic-style Sonic as I was at 7 and 8. My 8-year-old self is roundly attacking me using a spin dash. September 3, 2017 at 7:14 pm in reply to: I Complained To The BBC Tonight #221001 Ben KirkhamParticipant It didn’t tackle or achieve anything, other than to prove that you are an absolute fucking idiot. September 3, 2017 at 7:10 pm in reply to: Test #221000 Ben KirkhamParticipant I nominate “needlessly provocative and dickish” for the Recommendations section. September 1, 2017 at 8:11 pm in reply to: Sonic Mania #220893 Ben KirkhamParticipant Dave Wallace, completely agree. This feels like it should have been after S&K. I love the original spin they’ve put on some of the classic levels. Chemical Plant Zone Act 2 is wonderfully quirky, and there’s a richness to the level design that makes me want to go back and explore even more. Exactly what I want from a Sonic game. Never felt warmly to the more modern games like Generations. I’m also surprised that it’s actually a good deal harder than I expected it to be. It’s a bit like a greatest hits in its game structure. August 28, 2017 at 3:34 pm in reply to: List (with links) of all Dwarfcast Commentaries and other ep discussions #220777 Ben KirkhamParticipant Thanks so much for this, quinn_drummer, very helpful! Still awaiting a commentary on Universe Challenge, though. August 29, 2016 at 12:14 pm in reply to: Quantum Leap Guide Project #214769 Ben KirkhamParticipant “I’d rather see the money budgeted for Doctor Who put into something akin to a British Star Trek, rather than the misadventures of a hipster twat in a police box who appeals to the morbidly shite, faux-geeky and uninformed in life. Or, or… abolish the licence fee, but we’ve had that discussion, haven’t we.” Ludicrous. August 14, 2016 at 4:26 pm in reply to: Quantum Leap Guide Project #214529 Ben KirkhamParticipant I like it! Interesting idea. A recent tribute sketch worth looking at <i>Quantum Leap</i> Returns… To Stop a Trump Presidency on <i>The Late Show</i> August 14, 2016 at 3:28 pm in reply to: Quantum Leap Guide Project #214527 Ben KirkhamParticipant Yeah there’s no way it would ever return as it was. Dean Stockwell is 81 and apparently in very poor health at the moment. It would probably get a reboot if it were to come back. But I’d rather it come back with a new cast related to the original series rather than a complete reboot. It did break its own rules in its final season, and most of the time that was a mistake. But I quite like some of the bizarre stuff they tried in season 5. Better to end experimenting with new things than trying to repeat old successes. August 13, 2016 at 1:40 pm in reply to: Quantum Leap Guide Project #214514 Ben KirkhamParticipant Update: the book WILL be published. Seen previews of various segments. It’s truly a labour of love, with the kind of attention to detail that any QL loving G&T crew will absolutely love, I have no doubt about that. Pre-orders being taken until 31st August for a December release! August 11, 2016 at 8:23 pm in reply to: Quantum Leap Guide Project #214493 Ben KirkhamParticipant Yep, the seasons 2-4 R1 DVDs are edited, and the season 4 R2 DVD is too. Music is such an important thing to QL, it helps to set the scene and the mood. The biggest casualty is ‘M.I.A’ in season 2, where the music is part of the story. And the pivotal ‘Georgia on My Mind’ by Ray Charles is omitted and neuters the scene of any emotion. November 20, 2015 at 10:27 pm in reply to: New banner #212857 Ben KirkhamParticipant Bamber Gascoigne is my favourite. November 20, 2015 at 10:03 pm in reply to: New banner #212856 Ben KirkhamParticipant I love the new banners more than is probably healthy. *Refresh* June 20, 2015 at 8:47 pm in reply to: crime traveler #212040 Ben KirkhamParticipant Crime Traveller was poor. Ill-conceived and poorly executed, contradicting its own science within its own episodes. May 5, 2015 at 12:33 am in reply to: PLOTS FOR SERIES 11 #211494 Ben KirkhamParticipant Now we know there’ll also be a Red Dwarf XII, is it possible XI will end with a great big cliffhanger? April 16, 2015 at 1:28 pm in reply to: Doctor Who from the beginning #211324 Ben KirkhamParticipant There was initially a feeling of overkill with Spearhead from Space; it was released on DVD twice then BD. But the BD is meant as a companion to the second DVD release. There’s a superb Jon Pertwee documentary on the BD that I’d highly recommend. April 15, 2015 at 11:38 pm in reply to: Doctor Who from the beginning #211321 Ben KirkhamParticipant And, btw, Spearhead from Space looks STUNNING in HD. April 15, 2015 at 10:48 pm in reply to: Doctor Who from the beginning #211320 Ben KirkhamParticipant > “Has anyone experienced both audio only and reconstructions of the same episodes? I’ve always wondered if one format was more enjoyable than the other, or whether some stories worked better only as audio” I have and I can say that it does make a difference to certain stories. Marco Polo is such a strong story that it’s fantastic either way, but there are loads of production photos and telesnaps that help the recon, particularly the colour recon. Stories such as The Celestial Toymaker greatly benefit from a reconstruction because it’s very visual in its storytelling; all the games work much better when enjoyed this way. Most of the Troughton stuff is better through a reconstruction too, because there tends to be a bit more action and incident in Troughton’s era than Hartnell’s. April 15, 2015 at 8:55 am in reply to: Doctor Who from the beginning #211311 Ben KirkhamParticipant Loose Cannon are fantastic! Particularly their Marco Polo recon. We’re so lucky that people recorded the soundtracks off-air all those years ago. There’s no way of experiencing series 1 episodes of The Avengers in its original form, for example. One you get passed Episode 6 of The Space Pirates, you’re free of missing episodes! And every Pertwee episode is now watchable in colour too :) April 14, 2015 at 8:57 pm in reply to: Doctor Who from the beginning #211308 Ben KirkhamParticipant Troughton’s stuff is brilliant, such a fucking shame so much is missing. Are you filling in the missing episode gaps with soundtracks or reconstructions? The animated episodes and, obviously, the discovery of The Underwater Menace Episode 3, The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear massively help his era. Troughton could make the weakest script excellent. My three personal favourites are Power of the Daleks, The Mind Robber and The War Games. I think you’ve set a good pace to watch them at. With Doctor Who, there’s loads of change just around the corner. Check this out: Running Through Corridors: Rob and Toby’s Marathon Watch of Doctor Who (Vol. 1: The 60s) Volume 2 and 3 seem to be taking near enough a decade to get released, but the first volume is a thoroughly engaging, funny and thought-provoking read (apart from the typos, unfortunately). Anything Rob Shearman is involved in is bound to be good. April 14, 2015 at 5:43 pm in reply to: Doctor Who from the beginning #211298 Ben KirkhamParticipant That’s a brave, bold undertaking. The amount of times I’ve considered doing this but chickened out. You have a huge advantage if you’re coming to a lot of it new. As you said, you’re unaware of a lot of fan opinion so you won’t ever dread what’s coming up next. Which era are you on now, Ian? I don’t want to spoil anything, just enjoy the ride. But I will just tell you in case you weren’t already aware that almost all of the Fourth Doctor and Sarah Jane Smith era strikes pure gold, particularly ‘The Seeds of Doom’. April 14, 2015 at 11:11 am in reply to: Oh my. #211289 Ben KirkhamParticipant Wahey! Welcome back Arlene, you’ve been missed x March 25, 2015 at 11:32 pm in reply to: New 'Doctor Who' blog #211148 Ben KirkhamParticipant And while you’re at it, check this brilliant and long-running blog out: http://docohobigfinish.blogspot.co.uk/ January 5, 2015 at 12:32 pm in reply to: Dirty Feed #210864 Ben KirkhamParticipant How dare you have lives of your own! I expect you all to spend every living hour obeying the whims of your fanbase, endlessly typing into a computer. But you all choose to have families, friends, lives, even jobs. Where are your priorities? September 12, 2014 at 8:34 pm in reply to: Cliche #210587 Ben KirkhamParticipant *ahem* pirate bay *ahem* Don’t judge me! I would always recommend that people buy legitimate material and abide by copyright laws. Do not fuel piracy. But it’s incredibly handy when you’re looking for something that just isn’t available anywhere else, particularly radio comedy. And I’m really not sure where the copyright lies with this. Is it in the public domain, like ‘Wrinkles’? I’m interested in writing an article about the series. I haven’t listened to ‘Son of Cliche’ yet, but I want to wait until I’ve dissected this as much as possible. But the short version is: Worst stuff = amusing Best stuff= hilarious There’s traces of stuff that made it into Red Dwarf, such as Holly’s gag about creating the decative scale. I firmly believe it is among the funniest and most sublime material that Rob and Doug ever wrote (Red Dwarf aside), performed by an exemplary cast. It was broadcast in 1981, but hasn’t aged a day in my opinion. Think ‘Absolutely’ on radio, written by Rob and Doug early on in their careers, unfiltered, and you’ll get the idea. A particular sketch referring to a condition called ‘Verbitis’ had me chuckling belly laughs. I intend to do as much research as I can into Rob and Doug’s radio years, and I hope that (if G&T allow it) this article could be a companion piece to Cappsy’s wonderful ‘Wrinkles’ features. September 12, 2014 at 11:32 am in reply to: Cliche #210585 Ben KirkhamParticipant Capps, I’ve got 5 episodes and all the episodes of son of cliche, which I haven’t listened to yet. Anniescribe, I’ll see if I can find out. June 10, 2014 at 2:33 pm in reply to: RIP Rik Mayall. #210277 Ben KirkhamParticipant http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-06-10/rik-mayalls-bottom-helped-me-survive-my-troubled-teenage-years Bravo. :) June 9, 2014 at 5:05 pm in reply to: RIP Rik Mayall. #210268 Ben KirkhamParticipant Gutted. A true, true comedy maverick, and one of my favourite comedians of all time. He was truly unique and his energy was extraordinary. RIP August 5, 2013 at 12:27 am in reply to: Doctor number 12 incoming Sunday #208953 Ben KirkhamParticipant Absolutely delighted with this news. Peter Capaldi is an actor that I’ve always loved, and I think he’s an inspired choice and will be an excellent Doctor. I’m going to miss Matt Smith. He’s beguiled me with his Doctor. Doctor Who is in good hands. July 17, 2013 at 11:10 pm in reply to: PLOTS FOR SERIES 11 #208777 Ben KirkhamParticipant 200. July 14, 2013 at 8:56 am in reply to: Red Dwarf USA – Craig Bierko Interview #208762 Ben KirkhamParticipant Thanks Jonsmad :) July 10, 2013 at 5:19 pm in reply to: Red Dwarf USA – Craig Bierko Interview #208743 Ben KirkhamParticipant Oops, sorry guys. Don’t know what the fuck that one was, must have clicked on something else. I find Craig Bierko’s comments refreshingly honest. At least he wasn’t trying to make it out as something it’s not. July 5, 2013 at 10:38 am in reply to: Happy birthday, Danny! #208668 Ben KirkhamParticipant Wonderful video, happy (belated) birthday Danny! June 30, 2013 at 8:52 am in reply to: Fav Twilight Zone show original series #208602 Ben KirkhamParticipant >A Stop at Willoughby. I used to watch these as a child with my father, and while some were spooky and some were silly and some were off-the-wall crazy, this one dug itself in deep. Such a quiet and unassuming little vignette, but it’s stayed with me and is still one of the most affecting things I’ve ever seen on television. There’s a personal aspect to my love for it…but with a show that dug as deeply as Twilight Zone did into the human mind and heart, I think that’s fitting. Well said, Phil. I used to watch ‘A Stop At Willoughby’ an awful lot when I was having a really bad time at work. I think we’ve all wanted to escape like that at some point. The ambiguous ending is the icing on the cake for me. The gorgeous ‘Walking Distance’ has a similar effect on me. June 30, 2013 at 8:41 am in reply to: G&T INDICTED IN INTERNET CRULTY & OTHER CRIMES AGINST HUMANITY! #208601 Ben KirkhamParticipant Haha, I don’t think you need one, you seem happy enough. June 30, 2013 at 1:30 am in reply to: G&T INDICTED IN INTERNET CRULTY & OTHER CRIMES AGINST HUMANITY! #208597 Ben KirkhamParticipant You know, PecosPete, I am bloody envious of your boundless enthusiasm and humour! It always brightens things up. :) June 30, 2013 at 1:25 am in reply to: Danny S #208596 Ben KirkhamParticipant That’s brilliant to hear! I’m still in early days with my job but I’ve done a couple of days now. I’m working in a care home and I’m hoping that it will lead on to my chosen profession as a psychotherapist. It can be very challenging, but every day is different and I’ll always leave the day knowing I’ve made a difference to someone, and that’s very important to me. Spent eleven years working in a supermarket and it was frustrating and stagnating – running round and round with no real result, and, as you, I didn’t give a shit about it anymore. But now I do. It’s a good feeling. I’m sure if you’re loving it as much as you say and working hard, six months will fly by and you’ll be there for as long as you want to be. :) June 28, 2013 at 10:14 pm in reply to: Fav Twilight Zone show original series #208581 Ben KirkhamParticipant >The Shatner ep is the only one I’ve ever seen. I plan to rectify this some day. Start here: or see if you can get it cheaper elsewhere. You’d love it, Ben. The blu rays are just stunning. June 28, 2013 at 4:35 pm in reply to: RIP Richard Matheson #208570 Ben KirkhamParticipant > I only like it when they are racist. me two, thats th only time i’d wacth it LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO!!!!!!!!!!!11 June 28, 2013 at 4:05 pm in reply to: Fav Twilight Zone show original series #208567 Ben KirkhamParticipant The Hitch Hiker is brilliant, and has one of the greatest endings of any story ever. “I believe you’re going… my way?” June 28, 2013 at 4:03 pm in reply to: RIP Richard Matheson #208566 Ben KirkhamParticipant I can’t stand Red Dwarf, personally. That’s the one with the vampire, the gay robot and the bloke with the dreadlocks and H tattooed on his head isn’t it? All they do is say ‘smeg’ all the time. June 28, 2013 at 7:59 am in reply to: Fav Twilight Zone show original series #208550 Ben KirkhamParticipant Very tough question to answer, such is the quality. At the moment, I’d say ‘The Midnight Sun’. June 28, 2013 at 12:34 am in reply to: RIP Richard Matheson #208543 Ben KirkhamParticipant I should mention for those that have not seen it, ‘The Twilight Zone’ is (next to ‘Doctor Who’) the best television series ever made, and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in well-written television drama. June 27, 2013 at 9:09 pm in reply to: RIP Richard Matheson #208535 Ben KirkhamParticipant You’re fired. Author Replies Viewing 50 replies - 101 through 150 (of 335 total) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7